Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15 Cox_ba12

Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 6:22 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15 Empty
Live on Patrol

Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15

Go down

Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15 Empty Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:48 pm

Last Saturday, the turkey dinner got my creative building juices flowing. The weather was cold and blustery so it was to the basement for a build I've wanted to do for some time. The Half Fast is one of my favorite flying combat wings. I always thought of doing a smaller version of it. I tried scaling things down and after dozens of sheets of paper and running out of printer ink I settled on the TLAR ( That looks about right )plan . So I've had this Norvel .15 AME which I used for .15 combat sitting in the drawer for some time. I used this engine for a long time and I really enjoy it. I built a engine crutch for it and started on the rest. I had this framed up by Sunday evening and started doping Monday night. Doping in cold temps was not fun. I managed to get enough coats on and came home last night and put red silk on it. I never did silk on a model before. Essentially ran it under the faucet and laid it onto the model. My son and I pulled out all the wrinkles and quickly brushed thinner through it to adhere it. I haven't put any dope on the model yet but here it is.

Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15 Dscn3038

The rudder is still drying as it will be covered in yellow silk. The elevator will be painted yellow and probably some kind of stripe in the field. I will have a bladder tube mounted up on the sheeting directly behind the engine. This should be a blast!!!!
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15 Empty Re: Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15

Post  fredvon4 Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm

I am Jazzed as That is also one of my favorite combat sold skool designs

can't wait to see the video
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15 Empty Re: Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15

Post  getback Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:01 am

Defiantly A Combat Wing !! Was this a kit you had ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:38 am

Eric, this wasn't a kit, I had plans for the Half Fast which uses a .35. I tried downsizing the plans which proved somewhat satisfactory. I then was able to use a root rib which looked approximately the correct size and a tip rib. I cut them out of the paper and traced them onto the balsa. I then stacked ribs in between the two and sanded everything down. The leading edge is tapered so I used a 3/4x 3/4 block and planed it down when everything was glued together. The spars are useless in these planes and I put them in regardless. One usually breaks them as they're too fragile. They were only in the wing to hold up the covering due to the wide rib spans. However, due to a miscalculation on my behalf, I had to sheet the trailing edge top and bottom with a additional 1/16". This required cap strips then on top of the ribs. Nonetheless, this thing is like a battleship.

The cold is really presenting issues with the dope. I have to thin it so much that it causes pin holes and cratering. I tried retarder which worked excellent but it keeps the open time so long on the top coat that it tends to eat away the base coat. Doping for attachment coats isn't a issue, it's when your trying to build up coats for a finish. I can't dope indoors here and I wouldn't want to. I've had that silk for probably close to 40 years. My dad had it in a candy box all folded up. I figured someday I need to try this. I like it but I would do somethings different if I did it again. Cutting it is a major pain in the @#$. Sharp scissors is a must which I don't have but my dad told me to cut some aluminum foil with the scissors and this will sharpen them and it did.

Silk falls over the framework unlike silkspan. While this is great if dope gets on it and it touches something you don't want touched it's glued there forever. It's difficult to rip off and it becomes problematic when overlapping one side to the other. Luckily I had some Duco cement here. My dad told me to mix a little Duco with dope thinner and brush that on or use your finger . That worked exceptionally well as it instantly sticks down silk that prior didn't want to stick to the framework. Some guys pin it but this method was instant. This was around the wingtips.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:20 am

I have worked silk a LOT and have no advice on your need to dope in cold OUTDOORS you already know how that goes

If using Silk again in future I recommend HIGHLY a Large rolling cutter from Joann's, Michael's, Hobby lobby, or amazon
Cheap...wicked sharp and did I mention cheap...grin screw the scissors as too frustrating

Wetting raw silk....hand wash all silk unless you know for sure zero sizing (rare to find) in luke warn water with one and only one drop of dawn, cold rinse twice and lay sheet of silt on a bathe towel clear washed ( no cool smelly or dryer sheets) and lightly pat down to remove excess water...silk lays and is taughtened so much easier if only slightly damp...I have wife help me pre stretch it on the towel before we lift the piece into place. I start at LE with dope down, wait about 30 seconds then move to TE and slightly tug as I dope then root span and finally conforming to out board wing tip. I know you know about preval disposable sprayers, I buy this by the 12 pack at automotive out lets on line Like Eastwood...in bulk about 6 7 bucks each....

https://smile.amazon.com/Fiskars-195210-1001-Comfort-Rotary-Cutter/dp/B000B7M8WU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=14XCA641VRA1D&keywords=roller%2Bfabric%2Bcutter&qid=1638717592&sprefix=roller%2Bfabr%2Caps%2C263&sr=8-5&th=1
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:34 pm

Fred,
Is that the kind of cutter I need for fiberglass?

Thanks in advance.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:01 pm

Not sure of blade sharpness longevity for heavy weights but for the uber light stuff ...and my CF veil or cloth
I use it is superior to scissors or scalpel. wife has the blade sharpener and dozens of new and used blades. very common in quilting to cut cloth over 300 feet of cuts in a day. the smaller diameters follow a French curve type template perfectly
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:58 pm

I'm not sure the size of your basement or if you have a small room in it, but woudn't a small space heater work to take the chill off?

This oil filled heater works well in my 12 X 20' room off the basement.

Might be the only one of it's kind the Half Fast .15 P1012296
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:19 pm

I buy 2 of those a year when Walmart takes a pallet on a center isle and price drops to $59 from 79

they work great in all 5 shops to keep temps above 45 all winter over night to keep Renie and my glues, paints n stuff from freezing

I also buy 4 extras to drop off at fire department call for toys....cant play if your cold
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:36 pm

fredvon4 wrote:I buy 2 of those a year when Walmart takes a pallet on a center isle and price drops to $59 from 79

they work great in all 5 shops  to keep temps above 45 all winter over night to keep Renie and my glues, paints n stuff from freezing

I also buy 4 extras to drop off at fire department call for toys....cant play if your cold

What a great idea Fred, your acts of charity earn my admiration and respect.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:05 pm

I have one of those oil-filled electric radiator/heaters. On the lowest of three settings, it heats a small room adequately.. under freezing conditions.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:25 pm

Charles Winchester IN A m.a.s.h. EPISODE WAS VERY ANGRY WHEN THE PRIEST SOLD his GIFT OF EXPENSIVE CHOCOLATS (damned caps lock sorry not shouting)

The Orphanage Priest explained that his generous gift bought enough food for a month. Poignantly Charles choked up and apologizes saying something like...I am sorry Father it is inappropriate for starving children to only have a little candy

To this day that (and there are many moregreat lessons in that series) but that episode has crafted my giving
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:40 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Charles Winchester IN  A m.a.s.h. EPISODE WAS VERY ANGRY WHEN THE PRIEST SOLD his GIFT OF EXPENSIVE CHOCOLATS  (damned caps lock sorry not shouting)

The Orphanage Priest explained that his generous gift bought enough food for a month. Poignantly Charles choked up and apologizes saying something like...I am sorry Father it is inappropriate for starving children to only have a little candy

To this day that (and there are many moregreat lessons in that series) but that episode has crafted my giving

Sorry Fred, I should have used kindness instead of charity. Your gifts spread around this forum are more acts of kindness than charity.

BTW, we share the challange of the keyboard. My random finger movements require a lot of corrections before I post, even at that I make mistakes.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:44 pm

To my dear (to me) friend Ken Cook--I apologize for hijacking a thread of yours. Please keep with posting about the Micro fast TLAR bird
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Bob, the cold I was referring to was due to working outside. I do have a garage but it's not heated. I also don't like doping inside it because there's no ventilation. I would like to spray and I have done so but it's a pain in the rear to drag all that stuff out for such a small project. Most of my projects have been brushed lately. Doping in this cold weather does offer some benefits as there's no humidity. However, the cold makes the dope drag when brushing. To combat this, you really need to thin the dope and this is problematic when trying to offer additional coats.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:54 pm

Ken knowing your skills and tenacity I know you of all builders here on CEF will end up with a screamer you and Shawn (Sean?) will wring out and have a blast with
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:56 pm

OUTSIDE?..................Man, I freeze in WV and you up around Philly.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:10 pm

Fred, today I made it to the field and many of us had one heck of a day. I have a Consolidated WOW that was given to me. It was built probably 50 years ago and it was a mess. I had to break it over my knee to repair it and make it straight. I then repaired all the internals and I flew it today. Power was Fox .35X which now has a Brian Gardner .36X piston liner assembly. It looks very much like the Half Fast. I was running the engine rich due to it being new but at the end of the flight it was leaning up pretty good. So I went up for one last flight and I decided to up the nitro. I had some 60% nitro fuel and I put in 1 oz of 60% . I primed it and when I flipped it, it backfired and caught fire. It burnt my glove and damaged the leading edge pretty badly. It was instantaneous.

We also did some free flight and I had the Dakota flying extremely well but it caught fire as well. I don't know what the heck was going on but it burnt the underside pretty good but it was still flyable. I had the Dakota going out of sight. My buddy Frank got some good video so I will post it when I receive it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:19 pm

Ken I have two short kits on RCG for sale Bill Netzeband Equalizer and Jerkline special that Walt Unland of Built right laser cut for me..all wool no hardware

If you are interested in building either I would be my honor to Xmass gift them to you
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:55 pm

Fred, I just read your post. A gracious offer and I wouldn't accept without paying. I went to RC groups and I see Dennis responded. I actually know Dennis I just don't see him all that much.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:30 pm

Ken I offered to Dennis for $50 for both as I know him also
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down