Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Empty Re: Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea)

Post  944_Jim Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:02 pm

Win or lose, I have my entry in mind and designed...workable? Yes. Winable? Don't care. This one is too fun sounding already. Mine is a clown car.

Back to hauling TR6s around the yard...

Last edited by 944_Jim on Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Empty Re: Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea)

Post  roddie Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:55 pm

I like where this is going. I can contribute prizes.. so let's suggest a few classes!

Last edited by roddie on Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : suggest)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:02 pm

Already seeing the questions coming in and a lot of interest. Anybody can be a CD…

Somebody needs to step up and take the reigns. The CD sets the rules and answers the questions. Questions asked without a CD is just peeing into the wind. Smile

If someone steps up I will enter.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:58 am

Can the CD participate in the competition?
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:32 am

CEF is gentlemen owned/member supported...I have no problem with the CD also entering as long as we keep it a CEF member voting for best is the various categories. While a few here may be very competitive. I hasten to remind all...CEF is for fun--Winning bragging rites and maybe some small prize is usually to promote max participation

While commenting I suggest a way for a video inept member to participate...I suspect in most of our contests that the video requirement suppressed participation
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:45 am

Will the classes be:
Cox Baby Bee (box stock production)
Cox Baby Bee (modified - larger venturi hole, SPI, head shims, Cox glow heads -- stock items from Cox to tune your engine?)
Cox Baby Bee (unlimited -- anything goes!)

Then what about just reed induction class? Run what you brung -- nothing special but for fun award.
Like my Enya rear induction reed engines:

Enya .06-D rear induction diesel
Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Enya_148

Enya .06 rear induction glow
Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Enya_149
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:31 am

Eh I guess I’ll be the contest director since no one else is stepping up
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:37 am

Lukemiester wrote:Eh I guess I’ll be the contest director since no one else is stepping up

Thanks Luke! Better get to writing some rules!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:44 am

Cribbs74 wrote:
Lukemiester wrote:Eh I guess I’ll be the contest director since no one else is stepping up

Yeah I could use some help with that... this will be my first time doing something like this bounce

If someone can give a typical line length and some basic chassis specs, I think the engine classes have been laid out (stock reed 049s, modified/high performance reed 049s, and tee dee and other “unlimited worthy” engines- correct me if I’m wrong). I personally am new to tether cars... so if someone could let me know how to anchor it (and maybe use that as a standard in the competition?) that would be very appreciated
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:05 pm

Lukemiester wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:

Yeah I could use some help with that... this will be my first time doing something like this bounce

If someone can give a typical line length and some basic chassis specs, I think the engine classes have been laid out (stock reed 049s, modified/high performance reed 049s, and tee dee and other “unlimited worthy” engines- correct me if I’m wrong). I personally am new to tether cars... so if someone could let me know how to anchor it (and maybe use that as a standard in the competition?) that would be very appreciated

Go back a page in this thread, Ron's previous rules are there along with other options. It's a start.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:36 pm

Do not try to make this FUN contest difficult for the entrants or YOURSELF...simple is easy

Your real big task is to log in daily, read the thread(s) and Pms a find a way to keep it all sorted

Ask for or delegate a co-CD helper

All entrants must send a intro PM to you with current e-mail and snail mail address

Direct all entries into a NEW by YOU contest Topic thread that is ONLY for entries --NOT any critiquing, or extraneous chit chat and BS

Create a separate contest thread and direct all entries that this is where you critique, commiserate, pontificate, ponder, bounce ideas, ask questions of fellow CEF members or just Bs about how cool and FUN all this is.

Ask all offers of prizes to send a PM to you with what it is. Then you decide how to describe the contest and potential winnings per category...do not expect 1st, 2nd, 3rd place to all get a prize in each category.

Set the future date for entries deadline and later for the final votes...you snooze you loose. I propose as much as every one thinks June is great... this is world wide and WX /Covid do come into play so do not think just north America...That said a mid August dead line should accommodate al CEF members IMO

I also suggest once laid out, a good way to expose CEF to other groups is anoint one or more CEF members to be the Liaison and invite RCG, Stunt Hangar, and folks from Pacific North west on Flying Lines to observe or participate

Prizes need not be complete new engines

Consider adding a 50/50 drawing with proceeds to winning draw and CEF ....I bet this gets some questions as it should

I have other ideas and I bet much of the above should invoke others to add...

I have some surgeries up coming but mid spring I should be well enough to volunteer to be one of your co-CDs. I think I can manage to prizes and distribution.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Empty Found it, 28yrs in a box

Post  layback209 Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:48 pm

A buddy of mine in in Scouts about grade 3 gave this to me as a project "KubKar"). Cant believe it survived after all these years. About time to get it done. I actually still have him as a contact. This would make a hilarious first communication after about 10yrs of no contact do to life getting in the way.

Thought I'd share to build enthusiasm for this event. I'll adjust to meet rules. I was originally planning to hack a chassis out of some popular I split for fire wood. This is much better.

Thanks for stepping up Lukemiester, appreciate it I Love This Forum!

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 20220116
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:03 pm

Yay Luke!

May I suggest: Let’s keep it simple, something like this:

- Two classes: ”Reed” and ”Unlimited”
- Propeller driven vehicles only (if someone wants to enter a ducted fan, no problem Very Happy )
- Engine size max .051, so Pee Wees and little Tee Dees can enter too
- Reed class is one reed engine only, unlimited is any engine and any number of engines
- Let’s choose a distance that the vehicle needs to run (for example 1/16th of a mile?) with a standing start and time that.
- Line length can be chosen freely, but so that the 1/16th of a mile (or whatever we choose) is completed by running a certain amount of laps (for example 6, 7, 12, 16 or whatever, but not something like 14,39775 laps).
- Fuel: unlimited amount, any mixture you choose
- Beauty contest / Concourse optional Very Happy

I suggest the free line length because we may have different places to run the vehicles. Smaller/slower vehicles are probably easier to run with a short length, especially if the track is not entirely flat, but it would be up to the contestant to decide and optimize.

Two classes to keep it simple and to ensure there will be enough competition to keep it interesting.

Just my two cents. I already have an idea for a vehicle, and the parts too minus the wheels Cool
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:50 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Do not try to make this FUN contest difficult for the entrants or YOURSELF...simple is easy

Your real big task is to log in daily, read the thread(s) and Pms a find a way to keep it all sorted

Ask for or delegate a co-CD helper

All entrants must send a intro PM to you with current e-mail and snail mail address

Direct all entries into a NEW by YOU contest Topic thread that is ONLY for entries --NOT any critiquing, or extraneous chit chat and BS

Create a separate contest thread and direct all entries that this is where you critique, commiserate, pontificate, ponder, bounce ideas, ask questions of fellow CEF members or just Bs about how cool and FUN all this is.

Ask all offers of prizes to send a PM to you with what it is. Then you decide how to describe the contest and potential winnings per category...do not expect 1st, 2nd, 3rd place to all get a prize in each category.

Set the future date for entries deadline and later for the final votes...you snooze you loose. I propose as much as every one thinks June is great... this is world wide and WX /Covid do come into play so do not think just north America...That said a mid August dead line should accommodate al CEF members IMO

I also suggest once laid out, a good way to expose CEF to other groups is anoint one or more CEF members to be the Liaison and invite RCG, Stunt Hangar, and folks from Pacific North west on Flying Lines to observe or participate

Prizes need not be complete new engines

Consider adding a 50/50 drawing with proceeds to winning draw and CEF ....I bet this gets some questions as it should

I have other ideas and I bet much of the above should invoke others to add...

I have some surgeries up coming but mid spring I should be well enough to volunteer to be one of your co-CDs. I think I can manage to prizes and distribution.

I like all of your ideas listed
The summer months work best for me as well
If you are available to be a co-CD, that would be great.
Now how are we going to get this advertised on CEF? I’d imagine it won’t always be a hot topic throughout this year, and the more often it’s displayed, the better

I approve and like of all that kariFS has to say as well

Now I do have to say this weekend and next week will be quite busy for me, so I won’t be sending many messages or doing big things, ie making new threads and setting up rules, until later in the week or the weekend. However, later in the winter and throughout spring/summer I will be less occupied.
Thx guys
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:13 pm

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:18 pm

A grinding wheel used for engine start, good idea Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Empty Time for a teaser

Post  944_Jim Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:06 pm

I like Kari's proposal. I'll only need to establish my optimum line length to meet distance requirements. I have two potential entries to pick from,.and I'm not telling early! I admit, one is a way-throw-back to years past. Hint: If one of two is chosen, I call it "Mississippi's Comet."

The other harkens back to commercial plastic kit of yesteryear!
I'm giddy with anticipation.

Either entry is in Kari's base Reedie class!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:47 pm

Guys we need to gently steer this thread back to only discussion on the contest set up, managment, and agreed on rules

All your neat or secret ideas are interesting but deserve a new off topic thread of their own PLEASE

------------------------------------------------------------------

I proposed a

"Consider adding a 50/50 drawing with proceeds to winning draw and CEF ....I bet this gets some questions as it should"

curiously no one asked what the hell is that?

simple

All entrants, observers, lurkers contribute some trivial amount like 5 bucks per ticket
Any one can "buy" more "tickets" each for the trivial amount

Near end of contest CD askes / appoints one of all the 50/50 entrants to pick a whole number.... out of total numbers of all 50/50 entrants/tickets

The chosen number is the winner of HALF (50%) the pot. CEF Jacob will be the recipient of the other Half (50%) to offset his meager funds to keep this great site running

The Cd or his assistant will assign a new unique number to each confirmed receipt of the trivial amount. This is a secret number no ticket owner will know. The CD / assistant will keep a log of numbers assigned and time date assigned. This log will be sent to ADMIN for any post draw disputes. The CD may NOT participate in this 50/50 drawing. If an assistant is volunteered or appointed (and accepts the task) that Assistant can not participate but now the CD can

Wink Wink if 100 $5 tickets are sold that is 500 Bucks to split with Jackob 50/50...kapish

Yes my evil plan is indeed a back door "donation" to our Host

Final thought...to prevent a repeat of the 200,000 post give away intrigue...all "Ticket" holders must agree to be available by PM or e-mail and promptly respond if notified as winner

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:18 pm

I was thinking about the reed-valve class. Let's "call it that" (for this reply anyway). Let's look at the possible entries. Early engines such as Space Bugs, bone-stock Babe Bee, bone-stock Golden Bee, bone-stock Black Widow, bone-stock product engines; spanning the postage-stamp carb. design thru the "horseshoe" backplate variant. But... what about the Killer Bee and Venom engines?

Naturally; the Killer Bee should out-perform most other stock reed-valve variants.. as should the "Venom".

These two particular above-mentioned engines should be registered under the Unlimited category.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:45 pm

I read that there's been no (thus far) min/max circuit diameter. That's a good idea here. This will help to attract entrants who otherwise may not have shown any interest. Should we establish a minimum circuit diameter?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:43 am

Levent Suberk wrote:

The engine in the red body model is a very rare Bruce Underwood modified Dooling 61 he called Yellowjacket. It also carries its own magneto.
Racers were blowing Doolings using exotic fuels so he cast his own strengthened case in yellow.

http://www.modelenginenews.org/ad/dooling61_1.html#t10

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 Screen34

Prop Rod 2022 (a CEF contest idea) - Page 2 45de5610
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:32 am

New thread for entries discussion created
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:34 am

roddie wrote:I was thinking about the reed-valve class. Let's "call it that" (for this reply anyway). Let's look at the possible entries. Early engines such as Space Bugs, bone-stock Babe Bee, bone-stock Golden Bee, bone-stock Black Widow, bone-stock product engines; spanning the postage-stamp carb. design thru the "horseshoe" backplate variant. But... what about the Killer Bee and Venom engines?

Naturally; the Killer Bee should out-perform most other stock reed-valve variants.. as should the "Venom".

These two particular above-mentioned engines should be registered under the Unlimited category.  

I had mentioned something similar in an earlier post of mine- it will be going in the rules for sure.
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:35 am

roddie wrote:I read that there's been no (thus far) min/max circuit diameter. That's a good idea here. This will help to attract entrants who otherwise may not have shown any interest. Should we establish a minimum circuit diameter?

What are your thoughts on that?
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:04 am

Hey Luke , good to hear you have stepped up for this event , asked Amend to lock this thread will help . This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next