Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Anyone knows this design? Cox_ba12

Anyone knows this design? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rsv1cox Today at 6:27 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 6:23 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Anyone knows this design? Empty
Live on Patrol

Anyone knows this design?

Go down

Anyone knows this design? Empty Anyone knows this design?

Post  cmulder Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:33 pm

Found this on the site of a Uk based shop.

Anyone knows this design? PREOWNED274995-500x500
link to shop

Looks like a fun little model but have never seen that design before.

Price is ok too assuming the black widow is good.

Am tempted but assume the shipping cost will be way to high (brexit...)
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Anyone knows this design? Empty Re: Anyone knows this design?

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:57 pm

Did a quick search on Outerzone on "delta", found a lot of interesting half-A delta's, but nothing with elliptical wings. Flight pack appears to be of an older radio system, may be 30 or 40 years ago. It is very streamlined, nice job of mounting the 8 cc tank Bee in the nose of it, probably was reasonably fast in its day.

Given the high cost of shipping these days plus taxes, unfortunately, appears one may be better off taking one of the on-line plans and rolling their own.

However, the elliptical wing is cute, sets it apart from other deltas. Used to be someone who took over the Hobby Lobby (the model plane company, not the current crafts store) "stick and tissue" light weight electric R/C line up that included several sizes of elliptical deltas. It wouldn't be hard to adapt those to glow power.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Anyone knows this design? Empty Good old days of the "slow boat"

Post  cmulder Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:19 pm

About 20 years (and more) ago having post send by boat was still a option from the states.
Those days i used to buy from both hobby lobby and tower.
Even still have a cox flying saucer that "america's hobby centre" from New York sold for $11 one time.
Here glow plugs alone where more expensive then that so with a friend bought 6 of them.

A few years later a bottle of green zap ca had leaked that was part of a order from tower.
Send them a email with a picture and asked if they could resend me the bottle of glue.
They did .. and the whole order again too..

These days even shipping from the uk (almost next door) is expensive IF they send international at all...
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:45 pm

Yes, @cmulder, I remember those "good old days". Sea mail then was an option, it took a good month, sometimes a little more from Continental US to Hawaii, but it was very reasonable pricing.

In the early 1970's ordered from Hobby Shack in Fountain Valley, California, a CG Jr. Falcon kit and OS Pet .06 engine. I wanted a little more power than a Golden Bee would provide. To my surprise, since the Pet was not in stock, they substituted a new boxed, OS Max .10R/C engine at no extra cost. I bought a Golden Bee from one of the local military hobby stores and used that to power the Falcon.

Later, I put that .10 engine (only 3 oz. with exhaust baffle for idle, loud as a .049 on full throttle) in a 39" Top Flite Ken Willard R/C Schoolmaster. That was the best stunting rudder only with auxiliary 3 position quick blip throttle on my Ace R/C Pulse Commander proportional radio. At full throttle on a 7x4 nylon Tornado prop on a Cox fuel mix, it would climb out at a 45º angle. Half throttle flew like I had a .049 in it. At idle, then could even shoot touch and goes. (Field was all grass, no paved runway, so I would come within 6 inches of ground then hit full throttle.)

Yes, sea mail was a very good and viable option back then. Even bought camera equipment from T.M. Chan in Hong Kong (remember the then new Olympus OM-1 compact 35mm SLR? Surprised cheaper even with duty than elsewhere, paid with money order). Unfortunately, sea mail has been discontinued for air shipment, which now is even more expensive. Because of cost, I didn't mind the wait. May be one of these days they will bring it back. Tired w/ Coffee Read
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Anyone knows this design? Empty no idea why they don't

Post  cmulder Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:19 pm

Sure many people prefer to save the money and don't mind to wait.
Especially with bigger volume items it was a greath option.

Though i must admit..
The one time I been in the states i "went shopping"
Back then the Euro the Dollar exange was $1.60 for each euro..
Now its about equal ...

Ended up using a box from a kitchen refrigerator (a 2 door full height american one, not the small euro sized)
To get it all home found a freight forwarding company at the local airport and they aranged it to be transported if there was "room left" on a flight. (so cheap)

Few weeks later got a call got a call from a lady at my local airport here who was a bit confused.
She was from customs.
So i went over to the office there we unpacked the whole box and explained what each item was.
It included things like a tower 40 trainer , a robbe futura se helicopter, and loads of wood/hardware/covering film.
In the end since many items where used they only charged me a nominal handeling fee Smile

None of that would be possible these days...

cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:10 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:................
Given the high cost of shipping these days plus taxes, unfortunately, appears one may be better off taking one of the on-line plans and rolling their own.

Unless you're buying a substantial amount of an item or a high dollar item, HIS many times turns out to be more than the product. While Amazon Prime helps out, many items I purchase aren't available there. Six dollars to ship four screws is just wrong!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:05 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
However, the elliptical wing is cute, sets it apart from other deltas. Used to be someone who took over the Hobby Lobby (the model plane company, not the current crafts store) "stick and tissue" light weight electric R/C line up that included several sizes of elliptical deltas. It wouldn't be hard to adapt those to glow power.

I know the designer of the Hobby Lobby International (the Kentucky hobby shop) delta wing electric plane.
His name is Tom Hunt (he lives out in California)

The delta plane was call the "Elipstick" and there were three different sizes I know of that Tom made.
The Elipstick 700, the Elipstick 460, and the little Elipstick 260

Below is a photo of the Elipstick 700:
Anyone knows this design? Elipst10

Tom Hunt made three different types of models using the same building technique.
They build up fast and easy ---  made all from sticks of balsa wood.

The one I still fly is call the Miss Stick. Been flying it for over 20 years as a kick around fun flier!
Anyone knows this design? Miss_s10
Anyone knows this design? Covere10

Contact Tom Hunt as he may still have the original plans of the Elipstick delta plane that he did years ago?
As for the Miss Stick, the plans are available on the Outerzone website.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:20 pm

I did have the larger Miss Stick Senior kit when Hobby Lobby was still selling them, but our windy conditions here made it impractical to build. So, after having it for a number of years, gave it to a friend who builds Pat Trittle lightweight design models. He usually flies with Pat Trittle, when he's in Albuquerque, where winds at Balloon Fiesta Park are shielded by the mountain range there.

May be one of these days I may live where the winds are milder during summers. Then such would be practical.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:48 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:I did have the larger Miss Stick Senior kit when Hobby Lobby was still selling them, but our windy conditions here made it impractical to build. So, after having it for a number of years, gave it to a friend who builds Pat Trittle lightweight design models. He usually flies with Pat Trittle, when he's in Albuquerque, where winds at Balloon Fiesta Park are shielded by the mountain range there.

May be one of these days I may live where the winds are milder during summers. Then such would be practical.

I drove out to Eloy the weekend of Martin Luther King holiday weekend with a friend.
They hold an "old timers" contest that weekend.

Two of the three days were good days for flying. Little chilly in the morning.
Light winds early in the morning (good time to fly) then the winds pickup.

Even here in the Midwest we have windy days.
I just go out with a few friends early in the morning (sunup) and fly when the wind is calm to light until about 9:00am (electric of course) and by then the wind has picked up to where it is too wind for those small, light airplanes.

Then it is time to get the bigger noisy planes out.
Can't start any engines until after 10:00am in the morning (mufflers are also required)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:20 am

Problem we have here is very few trees, wide open prairie. For us, calm is 10 mph winds. When it builds to over 22 mph, then it is time to call it a day. We may be get 4 days a year of total calm. I used to gather weather data for utilities consumption reporting for the base. Every month of the year, we had at least a day or more with wind gusts over 50 mph. Highest winds we have had was in the 90 mph (gale conditions).

Riding motorcycle is interesting. I used to ride a Suzuki LS650 Savage, a lightweight entry level cruiser. Because it was lighter, I learned how to handle the winds, basically hold the handlebars light, feel the hand opposite to nudge into the wind to keep tracking straight. One time riding home from the base heading east, have a 12 mile trek, was watching scads of tumble weeds rolling along side me may be 10 mph slower along a farmer's grazing field as I was doing 55 mph. That was a weird, eerie sight. Affraid or WOW!

For CL, the smallest practical plane is a .15, although I witnessed Ron Cribbs doing an excellent job with a Baby Clown and hopped up .049 Medallion doing its rounds in the wind. For RC, a hot .09 like the Enya III is a good minimum, hard to fly half-A reedies. Flying single channel rudder only is out, elevator control is a must. They say you need ailerons, but I have managed to do well on rudder, many philosophers out there.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down