Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 7:08 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

It started w/a 3-view..

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 Empty Re: It started w/a 3-view..

Post  roddie Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:27 pm

getback wrote:Nice to revisit this build and compaction , It was alot of fun ! My model pretty much sucked from look to fling , I don't think i even placed because of the push rod had NO guide and was flexing really bad ! WOW this was 2016 when was the first one ? https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8828p50-reed-speed-2016-qualifying-photos?highlight=reed+speed   20140>> Damn I can't find the one i was referring too LOL https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7115p400-cef-speed-contest-design-discussions-2014?highlight=reed+speed

Yea.. but your's "FLEW" brother-man! Smoking Jim Roselle (jpvelo) pitched the idea for the 1st CEF Reed Speed contest in 2013. The rules required a flight-vid to be submitted/uploaded by (deadline was extended) mid-May of 2014. We all had entries that first year. It was the epitome of cool.. Cool
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:59 pm

You don't have to get too close to my model to see that "paint/finish" is not my specialty.. but I did manage the "illusion" that I was going for. To make it look less like a sheet-wing/profile-fuse model. Straight-on captures tell the truth.. but when viewed at an angle begin to give depth. I used the gold-accents/trim judiciously.. in an effort to artificially create the symmetry.

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 3-29-110

I have a LOT of favorite images taken over the years..

These are some early ones; (no canopy detail yet..)

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 3-30-113
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 3-30-114
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:40 pm

I took a series of shots with a 1:18 scale 1949 Mercury that were fun to stage! The Merc was a father's day gift I gave my Grandfather.. some 30 years ago. He was the quintessential Mercury Man; having owned a 1957 Turnpike Cruiser, a 1962 Monterey convertible, a 1965 Montclair Marauder and lastly a 1974 Cougar XR7. After he passed away.. the "49" was returned to me.

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 3-30-115
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 3-30-116
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 3-30-118
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 3-30-119
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 3-30-120

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:39 pm

Check this out roddie, your grandfather would love this:

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 16370810
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 1959_m11
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 1959_m10

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 1959_m12

Back when style meant STYLE. I drove a brand new '57.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:20 pm

Super-Slick!!!!!!!!!!!! Man.. that's outrageous! A "Colony Park".. (later Villager) Imagine being a worker at FOMOCO back then.. Shocked

Last edited by roddie on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Villager notation)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:45 pm

I had become increasingly interested in the way some modelers painted their "profile" model airplane canopies. The one's that caught my eye were painted a "sky-blue"; some with framing-detail. Done wrong isn't pretty.. but it isn't difficult to mask and spray the "blue"..

Here's a few of my "canopy-paint" candidates..

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 5-flyi16
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 1d-tee14
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 Canopy15
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:09 pm

A flight attempt (the 2nd..) was made a couple years ago. No dice.. no joy.. Lynne and I took several 1/2A C/L ships to an abandoned school/school-yard. We have video.. but we'll spare you.. Laughing Let's just say that there were gremlins that showed themselves. The engine "threw a prop".. at one point just after starting. I was trying a L/H (5"d X 4"p 2-blade) prop on the model. The engine kicked-back and off came the prop. The engine "ran-away" screaming before I was able to shut it down. I just looked at it and thought.. maybe the whole engine is work-hardened now? Wouldn't that be cool? The fuel we were using was Sig Champion "25".

I took photos on Aug. 4, 2019 (Sat.) and we went to the flying-field on Aug. 5, (Sunday) It was our 1st time "testing the waters" there. All was calm until the Cox engines started screaming their song..   Small Cox Logo

Here are some photos from Aug. 4th; (on the hood of Lynne's car)

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 20190833
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 20190834

same day.. on our driveway..

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 20190835
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 20190836

same day, on the deck (out back.. behind our house..)

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 20190837
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 20190838
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:34 pm

oh yea... I swapped-out the 1st gen. wheels for the "woodies" that I sourced from the craft store. Sorry.. but I really liked the way they looked after I painted them black. (PM me if you want a pair..)

It's like black shoe polish here...

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 Wheel-12

Can't really see the black wheels in these pics...

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 20190839
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 20190840

The wood wheels would be the last thing to break on this model... but that wasn't a deciding factor in fitting them. The original wheels I'd like to save for "show".. assuming the airplane survives the trials for proving air-worthiness.

I put a pair on my "Fulcrum Flyer". I think that I will paint several pair black and inventory them.

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 Plasti11
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 20211015
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:39 pm

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 5-3-1413
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 Dsc02315
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:12 pm

That is some art. Keep going back to look at it. Awesome creativity my man.
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duaneh Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:32 pm

Man, I never get tired of looking at that Rare Bear. Thanks Roddie, for posting the pictures, and the back story. I've seen pix posted of this model, and a few others that were built for a "Reed Speed" contest, but that was before my time here. Always wondered what that was all about. I followed the link Eric posted, and found the contest rules. Sounds like a lot of fun! Design, build, fly, and a scale requirement as well. I'm sorry I missed it.
duaneh
duaneh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:27 am

Roddie that is a cool design overall..but what do you think is the problem that prevents this beauty from flying? You mentioned somewhere it is nose-heavy? Or the weight to surface ratio is too high?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:25 am

Yeah, I fell in love with it when roddie first posted pictures years ago.

The wings design, the fuselage extension beyond the rudder, the proud tail wheel, the aggressive angle of the front landing gear, the attention to detail, and of course the decals - over the top and deservedly so.  Perfection on a grand scale.

Flying it? I think roddie may be a little apprehensive. Put Kim or Ken on the lines and it would do wonders.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:35 am

I also had a severe stability issue with a bi-plane kit bought from a kit builder, where the short fuselage i.e distance between the wings and the horizontal stab may have made it air-unworthy, so she remains a shelf queen...

I wish Roddie can doctor his plane and make it fly...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:50 am

balogh wrote:I also had a severe stability issue with a bi-plane kit bought from a kit builder, where the short fuselage i.e distance between the wings and the horizontal stab may have made it air-unworthy, so she remains a  shelf queen...

You may be right Andras, there could be an aerodynamic issue with it. Weight possible too, I looked back to see if roddie weighed it. But I relate everything back to my scale P-38. I did not build it to fly but fly it did. Scale wing, heavy and not built for control line.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:55 pm

firstwordisee wrote:That is some art. Keep going back to look at it. Awesome creativity my man.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your praise.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:08 pm

duaneh wrote:Man, I never get tired of looking at that Rare Bear. Thanks Roddie, for posting the pictures, and the back story. I've seen pix posted of this model, and a few others that were built for a "Reed Speed" contest, but that was before my time here. Always wondered what that was all about. I followed the link Eric posted, and found the contest rules. Sounds like a lot of fun! Design, build, fly, and a scale requirement as well. I'm sorry I missed it.

Thank you!!! Building the Rare Bear turned-out to be a huge undertaking for me.. but I enjoyed every moment. Many of the official AMA rules for the 1/2A C/L speed/profi/scale event were carried-over to the first annual CEF contest.

Try searching the topic with "discussion" in the title.. and click the "google" search button. Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:13 pm

balogh wrote:Roddie that is a cool design overall..but what do you think is the problem that prevents this beauty from flying? You mentioned somewhere it is nose-heavy? Or the weight to surface ratio is too high?

I also had a severe stability issue with a bi-plane kit bought from a kit builder, where the short fuselage i.e distance between the wings and the horizontal stab may have made it air-unworthy, so she remains a shelf queen...

Hi Ya' Andras, I have a few thoughts to share. Being that the main-gear is really close to the CG... it becomes a balancing-act. I've only tried launching via my pin-stooge.. and when the model is released, the tail lifts.. and the airplane comes off the stooge-pad near level. This shouldn't ordinarily be an issue.. but I'm thinking that there may be another factor that I hadn't accounted for.. and that is the cowling.

The cowling may be deflecting engine-thrust.. enough so to impede any elevator control while taxiing. Huh... The cowling that I'm using also has a spiral-shape molded into it.

You can see that molded-spiral design in the photo below..

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 2-19-114

It may very well be.. that fixing a radial cowling to a profile fuselage could deflect enough thrust to render any tailplane controls useless at sub-flight-speeds.. especially on a close-coupled design as this one.. Even at cruising-speed, there could be issues such as "hunting" (continuous input +/- to maintain level-flight)

One thing at a time.. though. It's a simple matter to launch without a cowling. If I can then achieve controllable/steady flight.. I may try reinstalling the cowling.. and have a mechanic do a hand/R.O.G. launch to test-out my theory. Will the airplane rise-off-ground launch.. and if so; will it fly level with little input from the handle.  Huh...

The cowling is pretty.. but in this case.. may be poison..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:00 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Yeah, I fell in love with it when roddie first posted pictures years ago.

The wings design, the fuselage extension beyond the rudder, the proud tail wheel, the aggressive angle of the front landing gear, the attention to detail, and of course the decals - over the top and deservedly so.  Perfection on a grand scale.

Flying it? I think roddie may be a little apprehensive.  Put Kim or Ken on the lines and it would do wonders.  

Hi RoBeRt! Laughing I got my "Air Classics" Feb 2022 hard copy in my mailbox tonight.. when I came home from work. It put a smile on my face.. Smile THANKS! and there's a P-38 article too.. Very Happy

Thanks for your comments on my Rare Bear. I'll tell you something Robert; It was 2013 when the 1st contest was pitched. I started searching full-scale air-racing (Reno/Nevada/Pylon style) when I came upon the Rare Bear story of the rescued F8F-2. Then there were the vids of that airplane.. it was the one I wanted to build.

Below are links to "two" youtube vids that will give you insight.. into this airplane.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaiekUo-j3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWHjyAj_iNg
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:46 am

Roddie,

I have to say that is a very pretty airplane with many innovative features…. A lot of work went into concept to completion….Excellent photography and I love the staging with the Merc…. You might try firing it up and hold it by the canopy about waist high and give it some control input to see if you detect any force from the elevator …. From your theory….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:07 pm

rdw777 wrote:Roddie,

I have to say that is a very pretty airplane with many innovative features…. A lot of work went into concept to completion….Excellent photography and I love the staging with the Merc…. You might try firing it up and hold it by the canopy about waist high and give it some control input to see if you detect any force from the elevator …. From your theory….

Thank You Rob. I appreciate your comments very much. I LIKE your suggestion for testing the elevator's authority with engine/propeller-thrust only. The elevator has a music-wire joiner for full-span deflection. I had noticed that many other Speed-models only hinge half-span.

My Rare Bear's tail-plane is quite a bit above the thrust-line.. as is the full scale Bearcat's. This helped with the illusion I needed to create when building a small model with totally flat surfaces. One can only wonder if this might have an adverse effect on flight characteristics of a model such as this.. along with my "cowl" theory..

It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 11-14-11
It started w/a 3-view.. - Page 2 1-24-115
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2