Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 Cox_ba12

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 Empty
Live on Patrol

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26

Go down

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 Empty Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:00 pm

Was thinking about using Kim inspired yellow Spyderwire, (better color match, Smile) but decided to stay vintage to complement this old-timer.

I always secure my knots with a half drop of CA and will probably clip off the springed keepers, less stuff flopping around. Probably the worst of my Peashooters, paint covers up a lot of ills. But I bet it would fly, may not save the man from U.N.C.L.E. though...

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 P1012665
Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 P1012666
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 Empty Re: Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26

Post  Kim Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:11 pm

I totally relate Bob!

I keep an original handle, strung with dacron, for "Flash-Back Flying" my beloved QZ PT-19.  

While the plane is not my original QZ, it's just like it, and watching the white dacron bow out in the slipstream..."is just like it was back then".

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 0_136

While it's a beautiful painting of the classic trainer, anytime you see a QZ PT-19 banked this far to the right, "you got some bad stuff coming!" Very Happy

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 0_040

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 Cox_qz13
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 Empty Re: Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:21 pm

I have experienced that extreme wingover Kim with the expected result.

Flying one of Walt's old hollow logs with a first gen Babe Bee, power dive into concrete that mushroomed the tapered case right behind the drive washer. Made a mess of it, but for the life of me I don't know what happened to that engine as I seldom throw stuff away. Thinking that my mom did the deed when I went off to the Navy. Boy, I would love to have it now. Only time that I remember that I crashed one like that destroying an engine.

Old school Dacron on my painted Wen Mac P-26 P1012675
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:19 am

Thats the Babe Bee i like the most be it single or double port even a No. 4 cyl. set will put you in the air quick !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:03 pm

You mention securing your knots with a half a drop of CA. How do you find and or feel it works. I like the idea personally, and have also thought of doing the same, but my other side tells me not to do it in fear of creating a sort of 'weak spot' for the line to break as one part is flexible and the other immediately beside is ridgid.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:35 am

You will create a high stress point in the knot if you use any type of glue. Not a good idea if you value your plane. The idea is to have a living joint, the same goes for steel cables. You don't solder them due to the soldered area becoming the hard point and the stress fracture develops. A 5 turn uni-knot is very simple and doesn't slip. The main thing in tying the knot is that you wet it slightly to insure the knot slides up tight to whatever it's anchored too.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:17 am

I thought just the opposite, that it would prevent the knot from wear due to slipping around.  I always pull the string/knot out straight before using the CA, just a tiny amount of the stuff.  Will have to think about it a bit.

Good one Ken.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=five+turn+uniknot&view=detail&mid=A3106E79F06E67D54F8CA3106E79F06E67D54F8C&FORM=VIRE
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:46 pm

Ken Cook wrote:You will create a high stress point in the knot if you use any type of glue. Not a good idea if you value your plane. The idea is to have a living joint, the same goes for steel cables. You don't solder them due to the soldered area becoming the hard point and the stress fracture develops. A 5 turn uni-knot is very simple and doesn't slip. The main thing in tying the knot is that you  wet it slightly to insure the knot slides up tight to whatever it's anchored too.

I am slowly reading through all the posts and soaking in all the advice.
This one about stress points is a good one so I will bear that in mind.
Its exactly the same as soldering a piece of wire to a pc board.
Wiggle the wire too much and it will snap off exactly at the stress point.
You guys love yer Cox engines and I have to giggle when I read about how cool a no4 head is and whether or not it is double ported etc etc.
I will keep reading, hazard guesses and sooner or later it will all make sense and sink in.
I will then be Cox enlightened
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:17 pm

You might take a gander at the Palomar knot -- it's generally recommended for the Spiderwire braid.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down