Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Cox Shrike Cox_ba12

The Cox Shrike Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Cox Shrike Empty
Live on Patrol

The Cox Shrike

Go down

The Cox Shrike Empty The Cox Shrike

Post  Davenz13 Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:48 pm

The Cox Shrike Timeline

About fours years ago (wow that long) I was sorting out two yellow shrikes with a view to make a good one and use the worst body for a special.
I noticed that, although they looked the same, there were subtle differences in the moulding and that started the search to see just how many versions of the Cox Shrike there were.
Man did that turn into a mission. I finished getting all the versions I know of about a year back, but documenting them all has been a mission in itself. I think I’ve got as far as I can get so now need some help to finish it off.
I know there will be mistakes and errors in it but hopefully these can corrected through the forum members vast bank of knowledge.
The dates I have listed for each version is the year, or years, it appeared in a Cox Product catalogue. Where I couldn’t confirm that I have added a question mark. Also the version, body type numbering and designations I have used are not official, just what I made up for my own clarification.

The COX SHRIKE Catalogue #9100
Version 0ne:

Yellow No 5 1968

The Cox Shrike Timeli10
The Cox Shrike Timeli12

Type 1 Body: First shown as Box-art in 1968 Cox Product Catalogue.
Red No 5 decals on rear wheel spats with oval Cox decals on the upper rear of the wheel spats.
Canopy dark blue.

No Roll Bar slots or cross reinforcing in rear wheel spats.

The Cox Shrike Timeli11

Shrike Cockpit

The Cox Shrike Timeli15

Steel axles with horseshoe shaped clips for wheel retention. Yellow wheel hubs, front hubs chrome finish which Is not all that resistant to glow fuel.

The Cox Shrike Timeli13

Rounded profile ribbed front tyres and square profile block-tread rear tyres.
Engine: Cox .049 Baby Bee with three bladed non safety tip pusher prop with pink rubber spinner

Version Two:
Yellow No 8: 1969?

The Cox Shrike Timeli16

Same Box Art as previous year.

Type 1A Body: No Roll Bar slots in body but now with cross reinforcing in rear wheel spats.

The Cox Shrike Timeli17

Red No 8 decals on rear wheel spats with oval Cox decals now inside faint raised ovals on the upper rear of the wheel spats. Otherwise the same as previous year.

The Cox Shrike Timeli18

Version Three:
Yellow No 8: 1970?

Same Box Art as previous years

The Cox Shrike Timeli19

The Cox Shrike Timeli22

Type 1B Body: As type 1A but now with Roll Bar slots in rear wheel spats for aluminium roll bar.
Otherwise the same as previous year.

All Shrikes from here on have an aluminium roll bar until the very last Shrikes (version Ten) which had a Red plastic Roll bar.

Version Four:

Green: 1971

The Cox Shrike Timeli20
The Cox Shrike Timeli21
The Cox Shrike Timeli28

Type 1C Body: Colour Chartreuse Green. Pictured in 1971 and 1972 product catalogues
New Box Art.
Strip decals with Shrike bird on purple and white back-ground on rear wheel spats and now with oval Cox decals located inside faint raised ovals on either side of body behind the canopy. These ovals, along with those on the rear wheel spats, continue until the end of Shrike production.
Note: The oval decals in the 1971 Cox Catalogue show a black border. All the existing photos of actual production Shrikes of this version I have seen so far, including the 1972 Cox catalogue, do not show that black border.
Canopy light blue. Steel axles with horseshoe shaped clips for wheel retention. Green wheel hubs, front hubs chrome finish. Rounded profile ribbed front tyres and square profile block-tread rear tyres.
Engine: Cox .049 Baby Bee with three bladed non safety tip pusher prop with green rubber spinner

Version five:

Green: 1973

The Cox Shrike Timeli26
The Cox Shrike Timeli27
The Cox Shrike Timeli29

Type 1C Body: Colour Chartreuse Green. Shown in 1973, 1974 and 1975 catalogues
Basically identical to previous version except for decals
Strip decals with Cox wording and green, white and blue stripes on rear wheel spats. No oval Cox decals on either side of body behind canopy although the faint raised ovals are present.
Canopy light blue. Steel axles with horseshoe shaped clips for wheel retention. Green wheel hubs, front hubs chrome finish. Rounded profile ribbed front tyres and square profile block-tread rear tyres.
Engine: Cox .049 Baby Bee with three bladed non safety tip pusher prop with green rubber spinner.
Note: I have seen some NIB green Shrikes with a red rubber spinner so I guess it depended on stock availability at the time.

Version Six:

Red: Year of introduction?

The Cox Shrike Timeli31
The Cox Shrike Timeli30

Type 1C Body: Colour Red
Strip decals with blue Shrike bird and red stripe on white background on rear wheel spats with Cox squared white on red decals on either side of body behind canopy. 5 screws holding body together now crosshead
Canopy dark blue. Red plastic axles with horseshoe shaped clips for wheel retention. Red wheel hubs front and rear. Square profile softer compound ribbed tyres front and rear. These seem to have a tendency to split with many new still in box shrikes seen with split front tyres.

The Cox Shrike Timeli34

New type wheels and axle with earlier wheels on right

The Cox Shrike Timeli32

Engine: Cox .049 Baby Bee with three bladed non safety tip pusher prop with red rubber spinner.
To date I have not been able to find this colour version pictured in any Cox publication.
No Shrike pictured in Product Catalogues 1976, 77, 78 or 79.

Note: The frontal area of the Shrike body is what I refer to as the hammerhead.
The sides of the hammerhead are parallel on all versions up until 1981 where they are tapered which was done to enable the steerable front wheels for the R/C Shrike. So far, all the Red Shrikes I have seen (on both Hammerhead styles) have plastic axles instead of the previous steel and later models have circular speed washers in place of the normal horseshoe circlips for retaining the wheels.

Version Seven:
Black R/C 1981

The Cox Shrike Timeli33
The Cox Shrike Timeli36

R/C Shrike: (pictured in 1981 catalogue)
Type 2 Body: Colour Black. New body mould now with profile driver, internal changes for housing R/C gear, including hole in belly pan recess for on/off switch and tapered hammerhead accommodating steerable front wheels operated by a single channel Sanwa/Cox Unit.

The Cox Shrike Timeli37

Alloy Roll Bar. Silver/chrome and red strip decal with RC Shrike wording on rear wheel spats with Cox Silver/chrome and Red squared decals on either side of body behind canopy. Silver/chrome trim decal along each side on the belly pan
Canopy dark red. Black plastic axles. Black wheel hubs, front hubs have mag wheel type trim with chrome finish.
Square profile softer compound ribbed tyres front and rear. Front tyres are larger in width than non-R/C Shrikes.
Engine: Cox .049 Baby Bee (8cc silver tank) with three bladed non safety tip pusher prop and Red rubber spinner.

Note: The tapered Hammerhead front ends have two round spigots moulded as part of the upper body that act as the pivot points for the steering mechanism. On the R/C Shrike these spigots appear vulnerable to frontal impact and it is not unusual to find them repaired, broken or missing altogether.
That fragile front end pictured below with a broken spigot on the left-hand side

The Cox Shrike Timeli35

It is also interesting to note the the R/C version in the 81 Cox catalogue picture above has a hard wire aerial exiting the RHS of the body. All production R/C Shrikes I have seen, including new in box, have a flexible aerial wire exiting the upper body by the left-hand rear wheel spat.

The Cox Shrike Timeli39

The same picture also shows the red tether version with the larger front wheels and chrome trim as fitted to the R/C version.
I have never come across this version either. These may have been pre-production mock-ups for the photo shoot.                        
It has also been said that the R/C Shrike came in Red but I have yet to see a genuine one.
They are usually just the R/C Gear transferred to the red version 5 Shrike body. The easy tell-tale is the black steerable front axle which also has to be used as they were never made in red to the best of my knowledge.

Version eight:
Red 1981

The Cox Shrike Timeli40

Type 2 Body: Tapered Hammerhead. (pictured in 1981 catalogue)
This non-R/C Red Shrike tapered Hammerhead body is identical, including front spigots, R/C gear mounts and hole in the belly pan for the on/off switch and small hole in the upper body for R/C aerial, to the R/C Black version.

The Cox Shrike Timeli38
The Cox Shrike Timeli42

Plastic front axle with horseshoe shaped clips for wheel retention and it is non-steerable. It is not interchangeable with any of the earlier Shrikes although it could be fitted to the black R/C Shrike if desired. Red plastic rear axle with horseshoe shaped clips for wheel retention.

The Cox Shrike Timeli41

Red wheel hubs with square profile soft compound ribbed tyres front and rear. Alloy Roll Bar. Canopy dark blue. Strip decals with blue and white Shrike bird and red stripe on white background on rear wheel spats with Cox squared white on red decals on either side of body behind canopy.
Engine: Cox .049 Baby Bee with three bladed safety tip pusher prop with red rubber spinner.        

Version Nine:
Red: Year of introduction 1982??

The Cox Shrike Timeli43

Type 2A Body: Alloy Roll bar, Plastic Roll Bar, Tapered Hammerhead.
This body version is identical to the previous version five type 2 body with the exception that the holes for the on/off switch and R/C aerial are gone.  One could assume perhaps (always dangerous) that the R/C version was no longer being made while the tether version continued.

Comparisons between Body type 1C parallel Hammerhead (left) and body type 2A tapered Hammerhead

The Cox Shrike Timeli45

The Cox Shrike Timeli46

The Cox Shrike Timeli44

Canopy dark blue.  Red plastic wheel hubs with square profile soft compound ribbed tyres front and rear.
Red plastic axles with circular speed washers in place of the horseshoe circlips for retaining the wheels.

The Cox Shrike Timeli49

Decals now have Large Shrike bird on rear wheel spats with Cox round white on red decals on either side of body behind canopy. Supplementary decal sheet with numerals 0 -5, helpline phone number and body trim supplied along with the usual accessories.
Engine: Cox .049 Baby Bee with three bladed safety tip pusher prop with red rubber spinner

Version Ten:
Red: 1994

The Cox Shrike Timeli47
The Cox Shrike Timeli52

Type 2B Body: Plastic Roll Bar, Tapered Hammerhead. Shown in 1994, 1995 and 1996 Cox catalogues
Identical to previous Version Nine except roll bar slots slightly larger with red plastic roll bar
Note: Advertised on Cox flyers and in 1994 Cox catalogue as “New For 94”. The address on the box pictured below shows these Shrike manufactured by Cox Products Inc, Corona California 1994 where Cox Hobbies were situated from 1990 (name change to Cox Products in 1993) until 1996 when they were sold to Estes Industries.
Estes listed the Version Ten Red Shrike in their 1997 Product Catalogue.
These I presume were either existing stock from Cox purchase or made up from inventory of Cox        
purchase.  

The Cox Shrike Timeli50

So here they are. The ten versions that I know of.

The Cox Shrike Timeli53

Side note: I have seen it written that the earlier Prop Rod belly pan mould was used for the Shrike belly pan.
                If this is so, it must have been modified first as the two belly pans are not readily interchangeable.        
                Fitting the aluminium prop Rod belly pan to a Shrike upper body requires extensive modifications to the upper body.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

The Cox Shrike Empty Re: The Cox Shrike

Post  crankbndr Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:21 pm

Wow great job figuring all that out! Had no idea there was so many changes
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:45 am

Down side of internet IMO

Sooner or later great volumes of hard work and this sort of information will be lost in the dead bit world

Please use some form of editing booklet software for a future history physical book/booklet.
(this is suggested for all researchers not specifically Davenz13)

Davenz 13 this is excellent research and well done photo essay, thanks

CEF...a great place to learn new and interesting stuff.....every day

I can envision several CEF and FB Cox enthusiasts loosely collaborating on a pseudo coffee table book we at CEF could contribute too with photos, research, anecdotes, and $$ to publish

Alas this would require a CD (Ring Master) and these days they are in short supply

I Love This Forum!
Beer Cheers

Reserved for NZ flag
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:52 am

Ykes holy research Dave. Marvelous! I bookmarked it.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:59 am

That is great ,very good equation of the different styles through the years .. Thank You Daven!! Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:30 pm

Thank you all for the comments.
Mainly I  got it finished because I got covid and had to do something as I didn't think it a good idea to go into the workshop while feeling off colour.
This is my fifth day, it hasn't been very bad for me and I feel like I'm on the mend now.

If anyone has copies of the following Cox Product catalogues please let me know if there are pictures of Shrikes in them and if possible a scan of the picture. The catalogues are 1970, 1980, 1982 and 1983. Please let me know even if the Shrike is not shown in the catalogue.

I remember a member of the forum talking about when they worked at Cox and how they changed the colours of the plastic at times.
It's obvious they made a red Shrike from the same mould as the yellow and green ones (70 - 75) but I'd like to find out when.
It seems odd to me that Cox would do a new colour run and not feature it in their catalogue.
Also what packaging was it in? I 've come across all the box art for the yellow and green shrikes but nothing for the Red one.
Thanks
Dave
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:39 am

Go to: https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm...select Model database on the left...there are 2 Shrike series described there, though with much less details than what you have collected...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:25 am

Hi balogh
I went there first when I started looking and got what information I could.
Since then I have been trying to confirm exactly when each Shrike model was introduced and how long for. Slow progress but getting there.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:34 am

Davenz13 wrote:Hi balogh
I went there first when I started looking and got what information I could.
Since then I have been trying  to confirm exactly when each Shrike model was introduced and how long for. Slow progress but getting there.  

mudhen is always a good source but it's been a while since he has logged on.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/u119
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:48 pm

I read thru this whole thread tonight and it was really informative. A lot of work went into this. I have what would be considered a version two Shrike that I restored a couple of years ago. I have the original box and all, and when I had taken it apart it was rife with old fuel residue. The strange thing is that the front wheels should be vacuum plated chrome like your examples shown. Mine are not, and even when I removed the tires, the insides of the rims didn't have any chrome as well. I've included a couple of pics to show you. It doesn't look as though the car was messed with or taken apart since new till I got it. The Cox Shrike 20220111
The Cox Shrike 20220112
The Cox Shrike 20220113
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:07 am

Hi
Nice resto.

There's a couple of members on here who have relayed some great stories and experiences about their time working at Cox.

One of the mysteries they cleared up was the odd part or version that someone had that differed from standard. An explanation given for this was that if a part had run out and were waiting for resupply, another part, or part of a different colour, might be fitted to keep production going.
I'm not saying this has to be the case with your Shrike but it's possible that stock of the chrome wheels had run out so plain yellow wheels where fitted at the time.
Some others with far more knowledge that me on this things may be able to clear it up.
Another thing was some weird colours they got from the plastic moulds when they changed the colour and the new colour mixed with the outgoing residue of the previous colour.

Dave

Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

The Cox Shrike Empty Blake Cox Shrike

Post  oldschoolmidget Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:34 am

Hello guys,
I'm new to this site. I picked up a few days ago this Sealed Cox mail order box. The only printing on the box was the Cox address and the number 9602. After opening the box I found a black car but, was not the RC version. I thought all black shrikes where the RC version. Look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Could it have been build at the end of the production run? Using what parts they had left over? I have searches the web a few times and can't find anything on a non RC black shrike. Does this make it more valuable or rare?

AnthonyThe Cox Shrike Thumbn17
The Cox Shrike Thumbn16
oldschoolmidget
oldschoolmidget

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:42 am

The slit exhaust cylinder and snap starter show it must be a late production Shrike. The square COX decal with rounded corners is also one of the last COX insignia I guess. I am not familiar with the value of Shrikes but this does not seem to be an old stock, that is probably priced higher than late models.

Last edited by balogh on Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:55 pm

Hi Anthony.
IMHO that Shrike would definitely have left the factory in 1981/82 as an R/C Shrike. If you look at the rear between the body and the rear wheels spats there will be a small hole which was for the aerial. Also, underneath the car in the square recess there will be a slot with on off moulded in the plastic.
The real give away for me is the front axle and wheels. The R/C version is quite different and very fragile to frontal impact. Someone has replaced it with a standard Shrike one to continue to use the car as a normal shrike. If you dismantle the body, you’ll probably find one or both of the axle mounting spigots broken or missing.
Dave
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:34 pm

I probably should have asked these questions before I jumped in boots and all. Does the car look brand new and did you get any paperwork or accessories in the box with it. Even if it was a bitsa it would have had the instruction pamphlet with it you would think.

I have seen a lot of these plain boxed Shrikes on eBay over the last five or six years. The longer one includes the transmitter. All the shorter ones I saw advertised were still sealed so I don't know what colour shrike was in them. One would think it was the Red standard Shrike but who knows.  Both sizes had the same number on the box 9206.

Some boxes are brown
The Cox Shrike Cox_bl10
and some are white
The Cox Shrike Cox_bl11
The Cox Shrike Cox_bl12

In the 81 catalog the red Shrike was listed as 9100 and the black R/C as 9200. Where the 9206 fits in I don't know.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

The Cox Shrike Empty Black Shrike

Post  oldschoolmidget Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:44 pm

That's right out of a factory sealed box that was never opened.
oldschoolmidget
oldschoolmidget

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:00 pm

Ok let’s backtrack a bit here. Cox part numbers for Shrikes were 9100 and 9200 up till 1996 when Cox sold to Estes.

In Estes 1997 catalogue the Red non R/C Shrike is now listed as CO9100 and CO9161 with mini starting kit. In fact all previous Cox products have CO shown in front of the original Cox product number. Neither Shrike option listed by Estes from 1998 onward.

On the box end pictured above it shows 9206 and underneath what looks like 3000-CO74. The CO in the part number is possibly a clue. Is this an Estes reference number and is yours and others like it, hybrids made up from leftover stock by Estes.
Didn’t Estes do something like that with Cox engines? Do we have any members here who used to work for Estes. Huh...

DAMMIT! I might need to get one for my collection of Shrikes
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

The Cox Shrike Empty Black Shrike

Post  oldschoolmidget Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:22 pm

Both sides have the Cox print and one side with the number 9206The Cox Shrike S-l50010
The Cox Shrike S-l50011The Cox Shrike S-l16010
oldschoolmidget
oldschoolmidget

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down