Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

50 years ago, the toys were better! Cox_ba12

50 years ago, the toys were better! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 6:47 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

50 years ago, the toys were better! Empty
Live on Patrol

50 years ago, the toys were better!

Go down

50 years ago, the toys were better! Empty 50 years ago, the toys were better!

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:47 pm

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

50 years ago, the toys were better! Empty Re: 50 years ago, the toys were better!

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:27 pm

Thanks for this, very good toy at the time Very Happy
50 years ago, the toys were better! Screen23

50 years ago, the toys were better! Screen25
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

50 years ago, the toys were better! Empty Re: 50 years ago, the toys were better!

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:28 pm

50 years ago, the toys were better! Screen2650 years ago, the toys were better! Screen27
(Images from Worthpoint website)
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:11 pm

Remember those wind-up tin bulldozers with rubber crawlers?  Kind of orange black colors.  Perhaps before many here times.  I had one as a kid.  Loved it.  Saw one on ebay last week and forgot to book mark it.

Not a bit of plastic on it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:39 pm

I had a U-Fly-It, but mine was a Piper Cherokee and didn't have the launcher. Also just a plain cardboard runway. I think it's still up in the roof, a little worse for wear if I remember right.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:31 pm

oh, how I dreamed about, and wanted a Johnny Seven OMA
(one man army)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhYbg3KVu0

and NO, I am not paying eBay prices... $400.... well, i did just get a new job,,, NO NO NO

I've been satisfying my childhood desires buying most of the Victor Stanzel Electromic flyers...
I have the Star Bug, Super Flash, Lil'Rascal, Copter.
I am still working on the Ferrari Car, Dart Boat, Star Raider & Fighter Jet.

YES the toys WERE better.

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:26 pm

I had an actual submarine. Diving planes and sealed cell battery compartment. It would surface and fire a "rocket". This was about 1962 or so.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:45 am

I didn't think much of the U Fly It. It looked neat but the glitter wore off real quick after about the 3rd landing. It also used some kinda of silicone pad you would wipe the line down with. It would dry out and if wasn't used the plane would practically stop and hang there without it.  In the case of the Cherokee, too steep of a pitch on the line, the plane would slam into the handle and break the prop. I thought the Mattel Vertibird was a very neat and fun toy.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:26 am

I had one of those i put hundreds of hours into and had a lot of fun with ,, I don't get how did you control the plane if it had no batteries and other goodies to make it work or am I missing something ? Here Ken
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:14 pm

Various toys of the era, at 8:27 is the Remco Whirlybird, twin tandem rotor predecessor to the Chinook.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:16 pm

Here's another cool toy I had. My grandparents bought it for me and I drove my mother crazy with it. It was noisy and the missiles shot out the side pretty hard. I would torture my sister with it. I still have the missiles and plane somewhere. It had a bell which would ding when the wheels were rolling. It was neat because the wheels were oblong and the bow would go up and down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8091BLbg2Q

However, nothing was cooler than the SSP cars. Put the zip cord in and let it rip. I put the car in my sister's hair with the wheel spinning.That required cutting a big section of her hair out. My mother had long hair and had a huge brush. Well that ended up on my rear end. She broke the handle in doing so.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:13 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Here's another cool toy I had. My grandparents bought it for me and I drove my mother crazy with it. It was noisy and the missiles shot out the side pretty hard. I would torture my sister with it. I still have the missiles and plane somewhere. It had a bell which would ding when the wheels were rolling. It was neat because the wheels were oblong and the bow would go up and down.

My brother got for one Christmas when I was in 4th grade (he in 3rd) a large Kenner Howitzer that shot 3" diameter plastic balls. Today, that toy would be totally verboden as it could literally knock stuff off walls and counter tops.

Ken Cook wrote:However, nothing was cooler than the SSP cars. Put the zip cord in and let it rip. I put the car in my sister's hair with the wheel spinning.That required cutting a big section of her hair out. My mother had long hair and had a huge brush. Well that ended up on my rear end. She broke the handle in doing so.
Oh, so with the teacher's back turned, you were the one that put little girl's pigtails in the inkwells on desks at school? Rolling Eyes What? Paranoid Smile

The following is a little Spanish humor, but I think that most of you will understand it. Cool

50 years ago, the toys were better! 2021-112
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:03 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Here's another cool toy I had. My grandparents bought it for me and I drove my mother crazy with it. It was noisy and the missiles shot out the side pretty hard. I would torture my sister with it. I still have the missiles and plane somewhere. It had a bell which would ding when the wheels were rolling. It was neat because the wheels were oblong and the bow would go up and down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8091BLbg2Q

However, nothing was cooler than the SSP cars. Put the zip cord in and let it rip. I put the car in my sister's hair with the wheel spinning.That required cutting a big section of her hair out. My mother had long hair and had a huge brush. Well that ended up on my rear end. She broke the handle in doing so.

Laughing You totally deserved that whooping. The SSP cars were very cool. I had the SSP smash up derby set. Came with “Tough Tom” and “Bug Em” 2 ramps and 2 zip cords. Best gift I ever had. Wish I still had them.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:06 am

Ken Cook wrote:

Yep, had one of them too. Purple with skis up front and (fake) tracks at the rear. We had a long hallway and that thing would rip down there in no time. It was heavy too, and probably caused significant damage to our skirting boards. Mad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:14 am

While on the subject of flywheel like toys. The winner is the Evil Knievel motorcycle. Not only did it seem like everyone I grew up with owned one, it was the most indestructible toy EVER. I ran mine under a school bus coming down the street and it survived.  I still have the motorcycle. I don't have the launcher or Evil.  That toy had to make the manufacturers money. Evil was my hero and I think back on how he was just the most amazing showman.

Ron, now that you mentioned the demo derby cars, I think someone gave me those. They were orange and Petty blue? I somewhat remember the way they were molded in a wrinkled fashion. Those flywheels were weighty and when you pulled that zip cord the gyroscopic impact on it.

The decade was never the same when Mattel introduced the electronic football. I remember teachers confiscating dozens of them. It changed everything and the electronic era was now decided.

Last edited by Ken Cook on Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:34 am

"50 years ago, the toys were better"

Reading through all the responses to this post I thought to myself - my oh my, what a difference a generation or two makes.  75/80 years ago, when I was a kid none of those toys existed.  The most sophisticated toy I ever had was that tin wind-up bulldozer I mentioned above.  What I remember were cast metal cars and trucks with axles running through and rubber tires and not many of those either.

Maybe today the reason that my toy box runnith over.  Nah, I just like messing with the stuff.

Added last night.

Cox Helldiver with guns and parachute guy.  Wheee.......................

50 years ago, the toys were better! Light_10

Edir:

Ok full confession. Added to this one from last week. Should be here tomorrow.

50 years ago, the toys were better! Dark_b10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:26 am

Well Bob, a key factor to those great toys was the label Made in the USA. That label is practically nonexistent today. Kids today don't eat enough dirt, I'm convinced about that. There's a young boy two doors down, I almost never see him outside. When I was a kid, I was the dog waiting at the door when it was opened to charge outside. When I was out, I didn't want to come in. My mother always made me laugh when she wanted peace and quiet, she would say " Go outside and get the stink blown off ". She didn't have to tell me twice.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:35 am

Gee Bob, I guess you'd be the one with the most nostalgic toys, wins! cheers  Beer Cheers

I wonder who'd be second? @Kim, @Levent Suberk, otro (another)? Huh...

Inquiring minds want to know!
lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:15 am

When I was a kid, I was the dog waiting at the door when it was opened to charge outside. When I was out, I didn't want to come in

Yeah, I remember when I was three or four my school teacher mother always wanted to sit me on her lap and read to me. After a minute or two i would squirm off and head for the door. Aggravated her no end. Accused me of having St. Vitas dance...whatever that is. Later when I got really hard to handle she would hand me a couple of those old cars and send me out to the sand pile.

And George, some one here asked how many engines each member had. I was the only one to respond after doing a "finger count" and coming up with around 600. Nobody else fessed up like it's bragging or some kind of a sin. I know that some here have numbers in the thousands, come-on guys fess up or join Cox Engine collectors Anonymous.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:37 am

Man, I don't know which one of us is into this stuff deepest!  I now "acquire" some of the old stuff by way of photos copped from Ebay---takes up a lot less room!  And that's the case with this:

When I was 7 or 8, my big brother Jerry was (and is) a hero figure in my life, and could sometimes bring me fantastic gifts from the Mystical Town of Kansas City where he lived.

We were living in a trailer park in Decatur, Illinois when he brought me this.

Plastic kits were the way to go for me then (with the exception of the Wen Mac Aracobra that my dad smacked into the street a couple days after Christmas)...but this big box of parts offered multiple airplanes of my choosing.  The card stock "slide rule" turned me into a scientist, along with being a superior pilot, though I often abandoned its recipe and flew many missions around the trailer park with my own custom blend of airframes.

I didn't know about Sabres or Migs or such, but it was just as well, as the finished products were more caricatures of their namesakes. rather than attempts at getting very close to scale.

My favorite of the photos below, is the one with all the parts neatly laid out on a table, like an "airplane factory".  I did this over and over, pretending that, at the end of assembly, my little creation would actually fly...a feeling I still get today as I work to finish a project.

Enough of my rambling, you are now returned to your previously inspired stroll down memory lane.

`

50 years ago, the toys were better! 1_222
50 years ago, the toys were better! 2_191
50 years ago, the toys were better! 3_106

50 years ago, the toys were better! 4_86
50 years ago, the toys were better! 5_68
50 years ago, the toys were better! 6_67
50 years ago, the toys were better! 12_39
50 years ago, the toys were better! 13_33
50 years ago, the toys were better! 14_114

50 years ago, the toys were better! 17_21
50 years ago, the toys were better! 22_32
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:11 pm

WOW WOW

the battleship is cool

SSPs were fantastic, I had a purple dragster

Evel Knieval, soo got me addicted to motorcycles --
you can still buy the stunt cycle ~$40 - https://www.evelknieveltoys.com/products/new-evel-knievel-stunt-cycle-trail-bike-edition-white-cycle?variant=37669859262646

Kim's "Design-A-Plane" now that is SUPER COOL - i mean .. wow

Ken is right --- Kids need to be OFF the devices, and outside eating dirt, getting scraped knees, learning "risk-management" (or playing with Cox airplanes)

and? Bob has me all inspired, to try and clean up, iron, steam out, and rebuild 2 of the Stanzel boxes I have....

50 years ago, the toys were better! S-l16012

50 years ago, the toys were better! S-l16011
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down