Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Rescuing and old engine. Cox_ba12

Rescuing and old engine. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Rescuing and old engine. Empty
Live on Patrol

Rescuing and old engine.

Go down

Rescuing and old engine. Empty Rescuing and old engine.

Post  Raveloe Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:07 pm

I have a Cameron .19 marine engine which hasn't been used for 60 years. As a result, it's frozen solid. Does anyone know how to unfreeze it? Can I take its plastic and rubber tubes off and put it on the oven? If so, any ideas on temperature?
Raveloe
Raveloe

Back to top Go down

Rescuing and old engine. Empty Re: Rescuing and old engine.

Post  Marleysky Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:38 pm

well first off, WELCOME to the CEF!!
Cameron engines, kinda sorta similar to Cox TD front rotory intake style.
YES, remove the plastic / rubber tubes. and heat will help to soften the old dried castor. I've not used an oven to heat my engines, small engine, large oven, not efficient? If Castor frozen/stuck a Mild first attempt would be to use a hair dryer to heat up the engine and soften the old castor. If that fails, a soak in green 100% anti-freeze in a crock-pot for a couple hours to overnight will usually turn the castor glue  in to castor goo and loose enough to turn over by hand. Rinse well in warm soapy water, then fresh water, Dry (compressed air if ya have it)  and add a few drops of Remoil to all the moving surfaces to prevent rusting.
Here's Bob's thread on cleaning: https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8630-cleaning-engines-crock-pot-style?highlight=cleaning
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:32 pm

I like to leave nitro fuel inside it is possible to get it back into the engine by the glow plug or Intake somtime impossible otherwise I remove the rear cover fill the crankcase put back and leave for a few days in a bag sealed Almost nothing resists nitro And should dissolve old oil if not rust should turn
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:06 pm

I had a frozen 1965 version OS Max .10R/C, must have been run on all Castor before it was last run.

I placed it in a pan on the stove covered with boiling water for 10 minutes, freed up the cylinder liner insert so I could easily extract it. I'd just make sure to remove all the plastic pieces, so that one doesn't accidentally damage it by the heat of the boiling water.

I like using boiling water versus dry heat, because it limits the temperature high end to 212 Deg F (100 Deg C) and no higher.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:14 pm

Clearly wasnt of value - removed

Last edited by Yabby on Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : subsequently called out as not being true - removed contribution)
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Rescuing and old engine. Empty Thanks for all this info.

Post  Raveloe Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:48 pm

My oven is pyrolytic, so I can get 500C if I need to. I hate to think what that will do to precision engineering though, so I'll try the liquid methods first.
Thanks for your help.
Raveloe
Raveloe

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:45 am

For a engine that's as old as it is and the high content castor fuels used back in the day, I would find it difficult to believe fuel or alcohol will easily free it. The metallurgy of that engine isn't exactly stellar. Don't force it or your going to damage the rod or the piston. I use Marvel air tool oil or transmission fluid which has detergent cleaning properties and let it soak and heat liberally. I use whatever means necessary to get these fluids to the rod and wrist pin areas. I never pry a backplate away from the case. I liberally pour the above oils onto the gasket areas and begin heating with a heat gun until it smokes. I then pour more and once satisfied the heat has distributed I then twist rather than pull which usually saves a gasket. Once I have access to the crankcase, I pour more oil in and once again heat using the heat gun from the underside and the top side. The oil acts as a gauge due to it's smoking. Torches for example could be carefully used but they tend to add concentrated heat too fast to small areas which can warp or distort. When I do use a torch which I have had to, I wave the flame vigorously around the case.

I believe the Cameron .19 is a ringed engine and I would lean towards caution in terms of removing the piston and insuring that the rings are not gummed up.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:32 pm

Ken Cook wrote: ....say this.... For a engine that's as old as it is and the high content castor fuels used back in the day would find it difficult to believe fuel or alcohol will easily free it. The metallurgy of that engine isn't exactly stellar. Don't force it or your going to damage the rod or the piston. I use Marvel air tool oil or transmission fluid which has detergent cleaning properties and let it soak and heat liberally

I believe the Cameron .19 is a ringed engine and I would lean towards caution in terms of removing the piston and insuring that the rings are not gummed up.
!!!!!!!!This is Good advise ken say Don't force it or your going to damage the rod or the piston!!!!!!!
True
And ...., this I would find it difficult to believe fuel or alcohol will easily free it. ok ok but ken I don't agree!!!! I've never (Stripped paint )wit oil .....with nitro fuel its posible To Remove paint and wit transmission oil or 3-in-one oil It is not once rust that rust inhibitors will act its Good for prévention***** only nitro fuel only **** Not diesel Not acétone no rust inhibitors is Good as nitro fuel plus its made for it no contamination 100% This is the quickest way usually a few minutes are enough then heat it Generally as it is nitro fuel it burns at a good temperature so I light the fire directly on the cylinder let the nitro burn for a little while until the engine is very hot and makes it turn easily almost every time Whether wd40 transmission oil 3 in one oil all very good for after when the time comes to store To avoid this To hapen I have already used other ways, to tell the truth, I have already done everything And I give in my opinion the best and most effective way To do this Cool
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Raveloe Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:24 pm

Looks like I'm going to be busy. Thanks guys.
Raveloe
Raveloe

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:00 pm

Good luck on your engine restoration, @Raveloe. I look at the methods described by all here as tools to problem solving. Every situation may require different approaches given the severity of the situation, etc.

I ran across a situation that I never expected, on an E-Bay buy that was at best a misrepresentation of actual conditions. Whether done deliberately, that I don't know, but was able to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t12115-kb-35-stallion-acquisition

Other times, I received a complete dud. Fortunately, I have received help from the modelers in the community, when I needed special parts hard to obtain otherwise. One was a bastardized K&B .20 Sportster R/C, with ruined cylinder and piston. A kind modeler who sometimes posts on Stunt Hangar came to my rescue, mailed 2 parts engines for the cost of postage, that allowed to repair it with his parts.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Rescuing and old engine. Empty Freeing up a stuck Thimble drome or cox engine

Post  Ol Bob Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:23 pm

I just put some purple power in a cup that just covers the engine and in a day or so of soaking it will free up and turn again.
Ol Bob
Ol Bob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down