Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Who invented the throttle ring? Cox_ba12

Who invented the throttle ring? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by rdw777 Today at 5:56 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 5:52 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Who invented the throttle ring? Empty
Live on Patrol

Who invented the throttle ring?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who invented the throttle ring? Empty Who invented the throttle ring?

Post  MauricioB Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:22 pm

Friends of the forum, I want to tell you that a long time ago and when I discovered that through an acceleration or restriction ring, a Cox motor could be controlled, I was fascinated.
I like radio control, because I have practiced it all my life, although I started with hand-launched gliders, going through rubber motors, then circular flight models, because my great passion in model aircraft is radio control, for that reason having control of a Cox motor, being so small, really impressed me.
From then on, I was able to fully enjoy an interesting number of Cox engines in different displacements and continue to do so. Even now I make my own throttle or throttle rings for each motor I want to control.
Having said all this, I would like to learn about the history of this accessory, the acceleration or restriction ring, so then, I hope I do not bother you with my questions and here they go:
1) Who invented the acceleration ring?
2) I have seen models of U/C (circular flight) with acceleration control ring, have you ever used such a model? What is the result in action?
3) Do you have photos from the past of engines and models with a throttle ring? Can you post them here please?
I will thank all of you for your time and for teaching me.
I like to learn from history. Thank you all!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Who invented the throttle ring? Empty Re: Who invented the throttle ring?

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:12 pm

And a variety too Mauricio. Holes and slots, notches and different arm lenghts. Probably others, just from my small collection.

Wen Mac offered them too, but quite different from Cox.

Who invented the throttle ring? P1013777
Who invented the throttle ring? P1013779
Who invented the throttle ring? P1013778
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 pm

Really haven't kept up with the history of Cox engines, when I was using them more prevalently. Mid 1970's, Ace R/C had the exhaust throttle rings in their catalog, can't remember exact year, but think may be 1974. Don't remember any factory Cox airplane engines using them. The Medallions had their more complex sliding exhaust throttle ganged to a twist needle valve assembly that could vary the venturi air.

I remember wanting to convert my Golden Bee on my Q-Tee back in the late 1970's, so I bought the Ace ring, worked like a charm. I flew the Q-Tee as rudder only with auxiliary sequential throttle on Ace pulse. The elevator, I built per plans, but connected music wire pushrod to the fuselage, about where the elevator pushrod would exit. I used a soldered threaded pushrod end with a quick coupling on it. This allowed me to change the decalage of the elevator for trimming the Q-Tee under rudder only.

It was extremely successful, Q-Tee flew well as a rudder only plane. The exhaust throttle ring allowed the Golden Bee to fly well even with its SPI, a bit more powerful than a Babe Bee, plus 8 cc tank allowed longer flights.

I noticed in the late 1970's that Cox was selling Medallions with the exhaust throttle ring setup. I bought a .09 R/C and mailed it to my brother as a Birthday present while in college.

The Cox ones looked exactly like Ace's. Sometimes I'm wondered if Cox simply contracted with the supplier of the Ace rings and used those on their Medallions. I would have preferred one of those, but by chance lucked on a brand new Cox .09 Medallion R/C with exhaust throttle muffler may be 7 years ago.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:20 am

Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_model_engine#Use_in_radio_controlled_models)  refers to a Cox 1966 dealer catalog and states, that "...From the mid-1960s Cox produced throttle control devices for some of their engines;.. however, these were not as effective as throttles on other brand engines as the Cox throttle worked by restricting exhaust flow. Exhaust throttles were produced for most Bee and all Medallion engines but not Tee Dee...."

I do not have my COX Model Engine Handbook of Dan Sitter with me at the moment, but there is a listing and description of the exhaust throttles and their history there...

MH Aerotools (https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm) also explains under its "Product engines" section, that the Miss America COX C/L model had an engine with spring retained exhaust throttle.

So answering Mauricio's question, yes, e.g. the Miss America had the exhaust throttle, controlled with a 3rd line by the pilot in a pull only operation, and the spring returned the throttle into throttled, low-speed position.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:24 am

controlled with a 3rd line by the pilot in a pull only operation, and the spring returned the throttle into throttled, low-speed position.

So typical of the Wen's. My latest.

Who invented the throttle ring? Wm_cor13
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:00 am

Or, by pulling the throttle string, it caused the engine to go from full RPM to idle or part throttle? Huh... Control line airplanes require speed to maintain line tension, it would make more sense to operate this way, just saying. Popcorn
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:15 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Or, by pulling the throttle string, it caused the engine to go from full RPM to idle or part throttle? Huh... Control line airplanes require speed to maintain line tension, it would make more sense to operate this way, just saying. Popcorn

George, I understood Martin Happerle's explanation, that as long as the pilot kept the 3rd line tensioned, the engine ran with throttle fully open i.e. high speed, and when released the 3rd line, the spring returned the throttle in its other position, and the engine idled...but it may be the other way around. And with the proper setting of the circlip relative to the exhaust slots, actually the control by the 3rd line can be easily reversed.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:30 am

Or, if your the adventurous type, great for touch and goes. The Electric Cox Bearcat was built around that option. I tried it with mine and ended up in the grass not the asphault as intended.

The tailhooked Wen Dauntless also. Lot's of fun with throttled control line airplanes.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:19 am

I don't know the history. The first patent below describes an exhaust ring throttle. The second is what was found on Wenmac, basically added the spring. Seems like exhaust throttle would have existed prior to 1958, but maybe the ring was novel at the time.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2921568A/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3369531A/en
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:27 am

At risk of committing copyright infringement (though I hope it would be seen as endorsing/encouraging its purchase), I scanned a few pages of the great Dannels/Sitter book.

It's not a direct answer to Mauricio's question...just some more info.

Who invented the throttle ring? Thrott12
Who invented the throttle ring? Thrott11
Who invented the throttle ring? Thrott10
Who invented the throttle ring? Thrott13

My first encounter with the exhaust slide throttle was an ill-fated Christmas gift of a Wen Mac "Skyraider".  I was able to get it to taxi, but the flight attempts quickly busted it up.

My next meeting would come almost ten years later with a Medallion .09RC powering my Jetco Navigator flying boat.  The weight of its EK Logitrol "Champion" radio negated any hope of flying off water, but it was a wonderful plane to hand-launch and belly land.

The .09's exhaust throttle worked great and allowed Navigator to make low/slow passes and even touch-slide-and-goes on smooth grass.

Who invented the throttle ring? N0_10
Who invented the throttle ring? N0_510

Who invented the throttle ring? N7_610
Who invented the throttle ring? N7_7_10
Who invented the throttle ring? N10_110

Currently, I'm flying a retro oldie "Quaker" (which I was told is actually a "Flamingo"-but don't care! Very Happy ) with a Medallion .15 type George spoke of.  It also works really well.

Who invented the throttle ring? 1_228

Go to 1:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUOOGqiS7g&t=303s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9xK4XNwNzg

Sorry for the rambling, but hope the pages might help provide a little info!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:46 pm

I think the way to clarify how the throttle worked on C/L RTF's is the instructions that came with it. Then, we aren't second guessing but are educated on how it was really intended to work.

That includes both Wen-Mac and Cox. They may have both operated completely opposite.

Before, I had the C/L throttle control curiosity factor bugging me when younger, but now I prefer simplicity with the least amount of controls.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:51 am

I have only one throttle ring for .049 and it’s the type with the hole rather than a slot…I gave one my Bees a 50 cent clean up and put the # 3 cylinder/ring on it just to try it out….Works great,… About 6800 idle and 15K top with a 6-3 prop….It will not seal well enough to stop the engine but significantly slows it…. It’s not as touchy as I thought it might be… Seems fairly linear…Photo at idle…

Who invented the throttle ring? 4bf97c10
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:35 pm

Who invented the throttle ring? Why, uhhh, I did! Yeah! That's the ticket. I did.

I invented it while on my honeymoon with my wife... Uhhh... Morgan Fairchild. Yeah. Morgan Fairchild....

The Saturday Night Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:23 pm

Guys, thank you very much for all the information you have poured here, it is really interesting and very valuable.
The accelerator ring is something so simple (of course, once it was invented!!!), it's genius.
A perfect but simple part, which can control the motor, it's great. Just great.
I was trying to discover its inventor, you may not understand it from how I see it, but it's really cool.
Then....
We are talking about the year 1958, so there we already have a piece of information.
The origin is not clear, that is, what company or who was his "father"... but surely at some point that information may appear.
Thanks again!

Last edited by MauricioB on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:26 pm

batjac wrote:Who invented the throttle ring?  Why, uhhh, I did! Yeah! That's the ticket.  I did.    

I invented it while on my honeymoon with my wife...  Uhhh...  Morgan Fairchild.  Yeah.  Morgan Fairchild....  

The Saturday Night Mark

Your comment may be comical, actually I apologize if it isn't. Comment at the beginning that I try to learn, I am ignorant at this point and I try to learn.
If I really don't understand your comment, I apologize.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:33 pm

Kim, as you know I live on the other side of the world and around here we have received a lot of influence from the US culture, from music to styles in general.
Your beautiful photograph seemed taken from a magazine, where some model aircraft was presented.
That photo is very good friend, thanks for all your information here!
Who invented the throttle ring? Kim12
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:56 pm

MauricioB wrote:Kim, Your beautiful photograph seemed taken from a magazine, where some model aircraft was presented.
This was when @Kim had hair! Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:18 pm

If it goes back to 1958, it was definitely not COX, whose thin wall cylinders that cannot accommodate the throttle ring - and this is why I had to "invent" mine for thin wall cylinders, made of a thin aluminum strip wound around the exhaust ports - were replaced by first the step wall then thick wall cylinders in the late 60-s/early 70-s respectively, that already were suitable for the throttle rings as we know them today.

(Here is my po'boy's exhaust throttle on a 1962 TeeDee with thin wall cylinder..do not be mislead by the flats on the top fin, I also filed them to facilitate mounting the throttle with which the COX wrench could not be used on the exhaust to unscrew the cylinder..

Who invented the throttle ring? 20220112)

Last edited by balogh on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:27 pm

balogh wrote:If it goes back to 1958, it was definitely not COX, whose thin wall cylinders that cannot accommodate the throttle ring - and this is why I had to "invent" mine for thin wall cylinders, made of a thin aluminum strip wound around the exhaust ports - were replaced by first the step wall then thick wall cylinders in the late 60-s/early 70-s respectively, that already were suitable for the throttle rings as we know them today.

very good deduction András... so it wasn't Cox...
Do we have ACE, Wen-Mac and some other left? .... are we closer to solving it ... or further? Huh...
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:53 am

MauricioB wrote:
batjac wrote:Who invented the throttle ring?  Why, uhhh, I did! Yeah! That's the ticket.  I did.    

I invented it while on my honeymoon with my wife...  Uhhh...  Morgan Fairchild.  Yeah.  Morgan Fairchild....  

The Saturday Night Mark

Your comment may be comical, actually I apologize if it isn't. Comment at the beginning that I try to learn, I am ignorant at this point and I try to learn.
If I really don't understand your comment, I apologize.

Yes,it is comical. You need to understand the Humor of the "Saturday Night Live" television show. Jon Lovitz as the pathological liar..  yeah..That's the ticket...outrageous lie...yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV85E2S-Idw
or this one with Tom Hanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIZ3ySoMNYQ
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:11 am

The Saturday Night Mark

Actually I invented it! I was working with Reginald Denny and Norma Jeane, a couple of slouches that took all the credit!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:10 pm

The 1958 patent describes two semi circular elements and spring clip to use on the thin Cox cylinders of the era. It also describes that cylinders could be made with constant diameter to make use of a ring. I think we've all seen the split ring type? They were made in the past, I made one a few years ago and it worked fine.

There is a cited patent (for another exhaust throttle) by the same inventor assigned to maybe the father? It seems there were a few Mettetal in the Detroit area (airport and school named such), but I couldn't find anything online relating to model aviation.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:46 pm

OMG -- with my wife, MOOOORGAN Fairchilddddd.

yes, thats the ticket!

Smile

and now? that is stuck in my head... thank you for the laughter. - always appreciated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS4z4zF-g44
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:53 pm

Marleysky wrote:

Yes,it is comical. You need to understand the Humor of the "Saturday Night Live" television show. Jon Lovitz as the pathological liar..  yeah..That's the ticket...outrageous lie...yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV85E2S-Idw
or this one with Tom Hanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIZ3ySoMNYQ

Yeah, I was referencing the Saturday Night Live skit by John Lovitz.  Yeah.  Because I'm not a pathological liar or anything.  No.  Not like Marleysky, who would accuse me of being pathological.  Or Crankbndr who would try to steal my fame and accomplishments by claiming to be the inventor instead of me.  No.  I'm 100% honest.  Honest.  You can guarantee on that.  You bet!  That's the ticket!  Just ask my wife, Morgan Fairchild.

Also, it's interesting to note that in the second skit, besides Tom Hanks, is a young Robert Downey Jr.

The Founder and President for Life of Pathological Liars Anonymous Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:08 pm

Stop It!  Very Happy  lol!

And if you think buying a model aeroplane couldn't get any stupider, you'll love this conversation! I Love This Forum!

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next