Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible Cox_ba12

Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible Empty
Live on Patrol

Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible

Go down

Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible Empty Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:14 am

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible Empty Re: Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible

Post  fredvon4 Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:45 am

Grate movie

On our flight line the ground crews would tell the pilots, "1 burning, 2 Turning" or "2 burning, 2 turning" a not to a CH47, Uh1, AH1, or UH60 that the turbing engines were running and BOTH rotor sets were not tied down and spinning up. Yes the pilot can tell the engine did light and usually can see that the main rotor is starting to spin up. However the Pilots can not see the tail rotor. Became safety way of life for flight crews because too many times a helicopter was fired up with one or both rotors still tied down

Of course on that bomber it has a lot more meaning
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible Empty Re: Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible

Post  andrew Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:07 pm

When I was 12 or so, one flew over our farm, at altitude.  It was quite a thrill for a young model airplane enthusiast.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:01 pm

First kit model, a static plastic one was a C-47 Dakota (Douglas DC-3). I was in 2nd grade, 7 - 8 years old. Then the next year, got a small B-36 model kit. The B-36 was always an impressive airplane. I remembered something about my father mentioning, I was high school at the time. He had already been retired 4 or 5 years. Some years back, a winter storm came through, news reported so many grounded at a particular SAC (Strategic Air Command) base. He commented that the Soviets then were unaware that the US had so many in the inventory. They had estimated a smaller amount.

I liked the B-36, because of its unusual pusher piston engine configuration. I thought it interesting that they would include 4 turbojet engines. (Then they didn't have low or high bypass engines - basically jet powered ducted fans.) The jets would be more effective IMO, at the higher elevations.

Watching James Stewart in the B-36 movie scenes, seated next to the flight engineer, I get the impression that the Air Force told him to "see but no touch, watch those blinking lights!" Very Happy

Along the same lines as the B-36, another aircraft that has been a favorite is the XB-42 Douglas Mixmaster bomber.

Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible Dougla10
Photo from http://les-avions-de-legende.e-monsite.com/pages/les-prototypes/les-prototypes-americains/douglas-xb-42-mixmaster.html

IMO, this aircraft would make for an interesting Cox aircraft with say a .020 Tee Dee mounted exposed on back to a round bulkhead in pusher configuration.

Speaking of helicopters, then in the late 1970's, I remember an AH-1 Cobra in the Hawaii Army National Guard hangar on Wheeler AFB. (Base was across the highway from Schofield Barracks, home of the 25th Infantry Division. The Army had hangars on the base, still had most of the WW2 hangars in use. Army then had CH-47 Chinooks, OH-58 Kiowas (Bell Jet Rangers), and UH-1H Iroquois (Hueys). Air Force still had some Cessna Mixmaster COIN aircraft hangared on the base then). The AH-1 was a veteran, had a section of its electrical wiring harness in the tail boom with spliced in wiring, metal patches riveted in place. Wiring was shot apart by enemy action in Vietnam.

While in college after a Guard drill day, rode my motorcycle over to Schofield, watched a Chinook pick up an artillery piece, fly it across the highway to another clearing. An artillery crew then would unhook the harness, roll the piece into position. Then after a brief break, roll it back to the pickup point, reconnect the harness while the helicopter hovered. Then the aircraft would fly across the highway to the starting point. Another crew would disconnect the harness, reconnect the harness. Rinse, repeat. They did this a couple times, then I headed home.

Practice makes perfect. Very Happy

Lighting The Tree lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:46 pm

Brigadier General Jimmy Stewart, a true American Hero (Oops, can't say "American" anymore)....Jimmy Stewart a true U.S. citizen flew B-24's in WW2 in combat.  Didn't opt for one of those cushy jobs in Hollywood like Cark Gable did.  

I watched it again and this time read the comments, many about the photography and the brillance of the color film.  Loved the scene where the B-36 is emerging from the clouds.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:36 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Brigadier General Jimmy Stewart, a true American Hero (Oops, can't say "American" anymore)....
Of course you can, Bob. This is CEF, not Tw*t**r or Fa**b**k. Very Happy  4th of July Flag

rsv1cox wrote:Jimmy Stewart a true U.S. citizen flew B-24's in WW2 in combat.  Didn't opt for one of those cushy jobs in Hollywood like Clark Gable did.
Are you sure? Very Happy The following makes for an interesting read regarding Clark Gable.

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/clark-gable-served-in-uniform-flew-combat-missions-in-world-war-ii/

Defense Media wrote:
Former Tech. Sgt. Ralph Cowley recalled events after the 351st arrived at Polebrook, England, and began flying bombing missions over the Third Reich: "Records indicate that Gable flew five combat missions but Cowley and other veterans remember that he flew many more. Gable was assigned to our squadron but not to a particular crew,” said Cowley. “The group controlled his assignments. They wanted him to have an outer-wing aircraft with a clear view of the skies for his air-to-air photography, He stayed with us right up from 1942 to 1945 and I can tell you, they didn’t put him on the milk runs. He took a lot of pictures of flak bursting beside his aircraft.” Records indicate that Gable flew five combat missions but Cowley and other veterans remember that he flew many more.

A number of Hollywood actors just like James were WW2 veterans (website miscounted, show 9): Laughing

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/05/05/top-10-hollywood-stars-served-wwii/

1. Charles Bronson, 1943, US Army Air Forces tail gunner, 25 missions, Purple Heart recipient;
  2. Charlton Heston, 1944, 2 years, B-25 radio operator and aerial gunner;
  3. Paul Newman, US Navy radioman and gunner;
  4. Rock Hudson, US Navy aircraft mechanic in Philippines;
  5. James "Jimmy" Stewart, 1941, US Army Air Corps instructor pilot, after 20 combat missions, awards Distinguished Flying Cross with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters, Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, promoted to Colonel during war;
  6. Henry Fonda, 1942, U.S. Navy, quartermasters mate USS Satterlee, Lieutenant in Central Pacific operations and air-combat intelligence, awards Bronze Star, Navy Presidential Unit Citation for heroism;
  7. Jackie Coogan (Adam's Family uncle Fester), pre-WW2 enlistee, after Pearl Harbor attack transferred to U.S. Army Air Corps, glider pilot in Orde Wingate’s Chindits in Burma;
  8. Tony Curtis, 1943 - 1945, Submariner Signalman 3rd class in Pacific, watched Japanese surrender from USS Proteus, awards WWII Victory Medal, Asia-Pacific Medal, American Area Medal;
  9. Clark Gable, 1942 age 40, photographer and gunner, various air combat missions, awards Air Medal, Distinguished Flying Cross, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, WW2 Victory Medal, final rank Captain.

rsv1cox wrote:I watched it again and this time read the comments, many about the photography and the brilliance of the color film. Loved the scene where the B-36 is emerging from the clouds.
It does make for a very nice impressive scene, punching through clouds and exiting them. I Love This Forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:03 pm

"American"  Just illustrating a woke point George.

Maybe so, but the reports I have read about Gable were not so glowing.  Photographer vs. pilot.  Hollywood you know.  That doesn't mean I'm not a fan.  Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:23 pm

Jesus Lord.. X6 radial engines in PUSHER configuration... and pairs of JATO pods? am I correct? The B52 would almost immediately succeed it, early in 1955.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:19 am

rsv1cox wrote:"American"  Just illustrating a woke point George.
We live in strange times, Bob, sort of reminds me of when the Vietnam war was going on. At times, it was of no advantage to be wearing a uniform in some woke communities back in the early 1970's. It wasn't all folk don't get me wrong. But I remember the hatred for the soldier, which I was one. Sometimes we were advised not to wear our uniforms outside the base. Strange how some people were blaming us for a war that they should have took up with the politicians whom they elected. I didn't get drafted, volunteered under contract, but I knew others who had no say. Draft ended in 1972, but my Basic had both volunteer and drafties, so did my advanced training and duty assignments, too.

rsv1cox wrote:Maybe so, but the reports I have read about Gable were not so glowing.  Photographer vs. pilot.  Hollywood you know.  That doesn't mean I'm not a fan.  Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!
You've seen some info that I haven't, but then I wasn't looking for it either. Searches don't bring that up now, may be it did in the past. For what it is worth, well, it is a fact Clark Gable senior joined and wore the uniform. He was an older man at 40 when joining. For some, that is military retirement age. Most in Hollywood did not serve, although some did. The War Department took advantage of it to make indoctrination films and films for the public.

At least he could not be be accused of not wearing a uniform. I suppose I could be blamed for playing a clarinet instead of being infantry, artillery, or armor. But I joined. He is dead now (Nov. 16, 1960), I just let sleeping dogs lie.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:41 am

Hollywood itself was pretty good at supporting the servicemen and women though during the war.

The "Hollywood Canteen" was very active. Any serviceman/women in uniform could drop in for coffee, eats and companionship. Notables like Bette Davis, Hedy Lemar (a story in herself) and others participated. There was a movie based on it that I have watched on TCM many times.

Different times, different people.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:49 am

roddie wrote:Jesus Lord.. X6 radial engines in PUSHER configuration... and pairs of JATO pods? am I correct? The B52 would almost immediately succeed it, early in 1955.

Early jet engines roddie, not todays turbofans. (2:25 in)

I watch it mostly for the flight scenes, but the beginning and end features a Plymouth convertible identical to the one I had in my high school years.  I remember that steering wheel, horn button, and radio speaker bezel like it was yesterday.    

Four burning, six turning and my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible 1950_p11

Last edited by rsv1cox on Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:08 am

As awesome as many of OUR strategic bombers were in the 40s and 50s. And frankly Holly Woods use ( of various aircraft and ships) in Pro military films was usually very good. I personally am partial to the B52 and have witnessed their training here at Fort Hood and especially seeing the con trails over Iraq in 1990/1991 as they carpet boomed Sadam's forces. 13 clicks away the bombs landed and literally shook the earth or many minuets.

Fort Hoods Gray Army Airfield (GRK) (now joint use with Killeen Commercial flights) was only 1300 meters from my Office and we had a second story balcony from which you could smoke and watch incoming flights to the active. During my 12 years we always got a front row seat as various B52s from Tinker AFB, and C5s or C17s from who knows where do training on our runaway. Most of the time simple touch and go exercises. Due to many of us being deeply backgrounded in all things aviation, some of use could watch the approach and comment..."That student is in trouble" and sure enough as the craft was about to screw up, stall, or land short...we smiled at each other because we knew in the cock pit the instructor Hollered "I HAVE THE CONTROLLS" and we saw and heard MAX MILITARY POWER applied and the craft lift and go around.

While the lumbering C5 training was impressive to watch we all seemed to have a great affinity for the Tinker AFB B52s. Long time ago what is now Gray Army Airfield belonged to SAC as a Heavy bomber and Nuke facility. The hills are all tunneled for Command and control, maintenance, and weapons storage. Many tunnels are permanently blocked off but there are still some remaining but strictly controlled against curious minds wanting to explore. Once a Year we host a tour, mostly for new Fort Hood command and staff and the occasional President or Congress critter.

As a former Field Artillery Nuclear munitions, guard, assembly tech, and Destruction to prevent capture of the weapon: I was and still am curious about the bunkers and Nuke maintenance tunnels. Of course all are sealed and have many of meters before the entrances with Radiological warning signs.

Any way thanks Bob for the post and video...very nostalgic and resurfaced a whole lot of distant memories

Of yes before I leave. My 2.5 acres are just 16 miles west of Fort Hood. The typical B52 or C5 or C17 training flight paths are to the east or to the west as the active basically is north south. and 90% of the time prevailing winds are from the south. When the aircraft exit and turn right (or west) they usually fly around 700feet AGL and almost seems like my house roof is a way point for the turn back east to the Airfield. Even though I know they are above stall speed (168 Knots) they all seem to just lumber along at a fast paced walk.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down