Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mystery wing Cox_ba12

Mystery wing Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mystery wing Empty
Live on Patrol

Mystery wing

Go down

Mystery wing Empty Mystery wing

Post  Michpatriot Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:49 pm

Long story behind this flying wing I received it from I don't know where a long long time ago and gave it to a good friend.. it's sat in his rafters for a long time and I just received it back since I am now getting back into control line I don't believe this model ever took flight or even had an engine run on it.. Right now it has a Fox mounted. To be honest I'm a little scared of this one..Mystery wing 16761710
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Mystery wing Empty Re: Mystery wing

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:19 am

The Fox is a 1974 vintage which was made available in a .29 or a .36. This engine was a total flop for Fox as it's initial tendency was for slow combat for bushed engines. Once again, Duke fumbled the ball and the rules changed and he had to redesign them to get rid of them. While I don't remember the entire backstory, this occurred more than once. The .29 says .29 on the engine lug while the .36 offers no displacement designation. The .36 utilized the .36X piston sleeve and rod. While it went like gangbusters in the .36X, it was more turdlike in this variation. I have seen some pretty good runners and I do like these but they do lack the uumph the X series offered. In addition, they can shake like nobody's business.

If you think that the engine has no run time on it, I would first open it up and clean it out. Fox offered metal chips and pieces ( Free of charge) in many of these engines. Usually where machining was done, there's lips and burrs just waiting to fall off so these do require a bit of clean up at times. Don't break the engine in with a 10" prop, let it wind a bit with a 9x6 or 9x5 breaking back and forth from a wet two stroke to a 4. The large black knob needle valve happens to be one that I prefer from Fox. I've had very good success using these as these were also later offered on the .40's and Mk coffin back series.

Many times, these engine have a bit of roughness in the crankshaft area. I prefer to dismantle them and chamfer the bushing where the crankface rides up against and do a complete polish of the shaft. While I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner or someone who has no knowledge doing so, remove the plug and slowly turn the engine over checking for binds. The piston on the downward stroke should fall on it's own weight. Many times Fox left burrs in and around the exhaust cutouts which takes lots and lots of running to wear in. I generally do a lap in this area to insure a cleanup of any rough spots to prevent premature wear and to discourage heat buildup.

What I find a bit odd here is the Higley aluminum nose weight spinner and tail weight on the boom. A bit strange or someone lost the stock nut. I personally wouldn't use that Higley spinner AT ALL on this engine. Fox engineering was quite similar to those on the Flintstones at Spacely Sprockets. The shaft utilizes the same cog setup as the Fox .35 Stunt. Therefore, one can change if needed or borrow the drive washer even though they're not identically the same. Fox didn't provide much of a radius where the shaft meets the drive cogs. The drive washer is completely flat on the back and it seats directly on the square edge where I just mentioned. What can happen is that vibrations from many variables can allow this square seat to snap off where the threaded portion meets the cogs. One remedy is to place a slight radius on the back of the drive washer to allow a complete seat onto the cogs and relieve the pressure on the shaft.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:34 am

Good stuff on the motor Ken. The plane kind of looks like a Voo Doo with a few panels missing in the wing. Just a guess.
Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:02 am

If the wing is not twisted, the balance is reasonable and there is tip weight, then there is nothing to worry about. (after two laps hehe)
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:41 pm

Thanks for all the info on the fox Ken..my first thought was to mount an O.S.25 on it with a bladder but don't know if it would work balance wise, or power wise. Thanks on the i.d. also.
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:59 pm

I would fly it as is. In my opinion, the wingspan is lacking. The plane could use  10 more inches. I'm not certain as to which OS .25 your mentioning. You have the early Max, FSR, FP, FX, LA. There's nothing to be afraid of, other then were you place your hands on the leading edge when launching. It would probably be around 70 mph. Place your fingers equal distant on the tips where the first leadout exits. It will and should nose down hard. Confirm this and go fly it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:51 pm

Amazing wealth of information! Thank you.
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down