Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Odd Size Machine Screws  Cox_ba12

Odd Size Machine Screws  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Odd Size Machine Screws  Empty
Live on Patrol

Odd Size Machine Screws

Go down

Odd Size Machine Screws  Empty Odd Size Machine Screws

Post  rdw777 Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:47 am

I picked up some 3-48’s today from our local hardware store (Higginbotham Bartlett) They were in a bin marked “gun screws”…. Thought they might work for prop screws if needed for my .020’s….. They are long and would need to be cut down, And a washer or spinner due to the Fillister head…..Look to be hardened….They had 5-40 and 2-56 as well and a lot of other odd sizes…So if you have a gun shop or random hardware store nearby they may just have that odd screw you’re looking for….

Odd Size Machine Screws  28347e10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Odd Size Machine Screws  Empty Re: Odd Size Machine Screws

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Robert, that's a good option. In this rural town about 8 years ago, I got on EBay a used but with good compression Enya .35-III TV. The seller put a photogenic nut, can't remember exact size may be a 1/4x20 or 5/16x18. The saving grace was I was the only bidder (wonder why Doh! ), so got it for a song.

Visited the local Fastenal store. They had several bulk bags of 7x1.0 mm nuts (like 50 in each). He told me they had these for a very long time, slow mover, so he opened one and gave me 4 nuts for free. Very Happy

Odd Size Machine Screws  Enya3510

Odd Size Machine Screws  Enya3511

Over time I have bought bulk hardware from them for the house and building my home rolled motorcycle trailer, that I couldn't find at the home improvement centers.

Other times, bought from sources recommended herein, bulk Allen cap head screws for engines.

I've found that the bolt cutters on my crimp tool are decent to trim 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, etc. screws. Smaller sizes, use cutting wheel and file end smooth & chamfer to easily thread.

Unfortunately we don't have gunsmith supplies here (that I know of) in this small town.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:42 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Robert, that's a good option. In this rural town about 8 years ago, I got on EBay a used but with good compression Enya .35-III TV. The seller put a photogenic nut, can't remember exact size may be a 1/4x20 or 5/16x18. The saving grace was I was the only bidder (wonder why Doh! ), so got it for a song.

Visited the local Fastenal store. They had several bulk bags of 7x1.0 mm nuts (like 50 in each). He told me they had these for a very long time, slow mover, so he opened one and gave me 4 nuts for free. Very Happy

Odd Size Machine Screws  Enya3510

Odd Size Machine Screws  Enya3511

Over time I have bought bulk hardware from them for the house and building my home rolled motorcycle trailer, that I couldn't find at the home improvement centers.

Other times, bought from sources recommended herein, bulk Allen cap head screws for engines.

I've found that the bolt cutters on my crimp tool are decent to trim 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, etc. screws. Smaller sizes, use cutting wheel and file end smooth & chamfer to easily thread.

Unfortunately we don't have gunsmith supplies here (that I know of) in this small town.

Yes GallopingGhostler,
If you do any work on the older Enya engines, all of them use the "old" JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screws.
I have "four" different sources where I can get the JIS nuts, bolts, taps, and dies for the Enya engines.

Number "one" is Classic Fasteners which carry almost everything (nuts, bolts, taps, dies) for British cars, Japanese bikes
and other odd sized threads.

Next are, Fastener Express, McMaster-Carr, MSC Direct, New Star Fastenings, and Micro Fasteners.
One of them will have what I need?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:18 am

Greatest blessing was when I was working in Okinawa in the mid 2000's, sosam117. The stores there had all the Japanese hardware I needed. Their 100 Yen stores (equivalent to our "Dollar" stores, but quality was much better) had small hardware packs in metric sizes, could find all my screws for my 1987 Suzuki LS650 motorcycle. Then in US, in some cases I substituted ANSI/SAE hardware when it was a nut with bolt situation, or sheet metal screw to hold plastic situation.

I was able to forage in my motorcycle junk hardware bin to find a prop nut for my Enya .19-VI TV auction buy. Used a small fender washer with hole reamed to proper size for prop washer, worked all and good.

Also done no-no's No! in a few rare cases where with used engines (good experimental ground) retapped a hole in ANSI and ran a standard screw. But my standards are restoring usefulness versus maintaining historic quality.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down