Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 Cox_ba12

"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:17 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

"Me and Crazy Horse" Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 Empty Re: "Me and Crazy Horse" Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession

Post  Kim Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:48 pm

HalfaDave wrote:
Also,
The aileron differential on a Mustang is cool.
With that much flap, must have needed 1/2throttle just before touchdown...
Just curious,
Dave

Hey Dave,
Yes, during the preflight briefing, Steve talked about holding power on final (forgot how much) 'till touch down.  I also thought, "Crap!  Look a the angle of those flaps!!!" Shocked Shocked

While the power WAS, of course, reduced on final, if you watch the prop's "strobing" and sound, you can tell that there was still some pretty good juice going 'till the mains touched.  

Another note about the Mustang that I NEVER considered was that the pilot can pull the mixture setting to "Idle Cut Off", turning the prop into a giant brake to help slow the fighter.  Once accomplished, the mixture goes back in, with the Merlin never seeming to miss a beat in the process.  CRAZY!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 Empty Re: "Me and Crazy Horse" Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession

Post  Kim Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:53 pm

rsv1cox wrote:  

While in the Navy I had the great privilege of starting the F4U Corsairs big radial.  I have never forgotten it.  Earlier classes got to taxi it around but they suspended that by the time I got there.  

BOB!  How cool was THAT???!!!!  The Pratt R-2800 (for me) is the other "IT" engine!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:52 am

So, by somewhat weird coincidence,, I opened up my April Edition of Air Classics to find an article by a pilot, discussing Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession in warbirds.

I know Bob has a subscription to this great magazine, but if you've got a book store nearby, they may have it.

"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 900_13
"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 910_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:22 am

Lifes blood for me Kim.  I read every word.  Takes me awhile, still working on the March issue, haven't taken the plastic wrap off the April issue yet.  

March issue.  I'm hung up on the Soviet Spitfire - part of lend/lease from England during the war and crash landed in northwest Russia in 1945.  Laid untouched until 1997.  Super restoration, unbelievable.  You know me, give me a bag of parts, plastic or balsa and I'm going to make an airplane out of it.  16 pages of restoration gold.  They started out with this:

"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 P1015157

and ended with this:

"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 P1015159
"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 P1015158
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:04 am

rsv1cox wrote:Lifes blood for me Kim.  I read every word.  Takes me awhile, still working on the March issue, haven't taken the plastic wrap off the April issue yet.  

[/img][/url]

Yeah man!  Same for me!  I don't dare skip any of the smaller notes and comments for fear of missing some tiny gem!

I can't believe the projects that are coming to fruition!  The guy who built the 3/4 Focke Wulf caused a wild sensation decades ago, and now, we've got 100% scale 190's flying, with BMW engines no less!!!

Now, we need a 100% Stuka...oh be still my heart!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:55 am

Yes, first thing I read is Michael O'leary's "A message from the publisher." Just the right amount of "Take no Prisoners" and grouch to make me happy. Plain language guy.

Eating up the Air Classics rendition of your "On the Ramp." F3H Demon and Douglas AD-6 both active when I joined the Navy in 1956. Gawd Bob your old. Smile

"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 P1015160
"Me and Crazy Horse"  Torque Rolls, "P" Factor, and Gyroscopic Precession - Page 2 P1015161
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2