Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


RC water-skier...... Cox_ba12




RC water-skier...... Pixel

Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How does your Garden Grow
by rsv1cox Today at 3:39 pm

» Cox PT-19 Trainer.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:16 pm

» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 12:54 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by getback Today at 12:04 pm

» Props for a Stels .049
by ffkiwi Today at 3:20 am

» My Mazda RX-7GSL-SE build log with the occasional balsa inclusion
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:51 am

» AJ/JW .020 Firebaby Jr. Pretty neat
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:34 pm

» Me 163 in 1/32 scale
by Jo Nuesseler Yesterday at 11:34 am

» Willy Nillies saga
by Admin Yesterday at 3:18 am

» So to the rescue of an EZ BEE .049 r/c
by MauricioB Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:26 pm

» Help! What is it and where can I find it?
by rsv1cox Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:05 pm

» Cox Mustang repair
by Kim Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:48 am

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Cox .049 Marine inboard engine."

More info on this engine!




PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery


RC water-skier...... Empty
Live on Patrol


RC water-skier......

Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty RC water-skier......

Post  roddie Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:59 pm

No one's posted a vid of theirs..... How difficult could it be? What.. engineering? of course.. but why hasn't anybody tried to replicated in miniature; what many would classify as a "good day on the lake"... Water skiing was very popular on the lake where I grew up.. in Manchaug, MA My Grandparents started camping at "Kings Campground" in Sutton/Manchaug, MA when I was about 12 years old.............
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 8398
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 64
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  balogh Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:26 am

Hey Roddie,

your post reminds me of the mid-1970s when the large Hungarian lake Balaton was home to motorsports including water skiing. My father - a relatively well-to-do doctor in a socialist country - had 50HP Mercury then 50HP Johnson outboard engine powered mahogany motorboats, and towed my sister on mono ski, and myself and my friends on pairs of skis...one of my early encounters with American engine technology behind the iron curtain, around the same time when I got my first COX engine from a lucky friend...those were the best summers in my life..

IC engine powered boats have been banned since those days because of environmental reasons..the surface of the lake is about 600 sq.km-s and deepest point is maybe 4m or so, a vulnerable water...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Posts : 4792
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 65
Location : Budapest Hungary

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:56 pm

The boat no probem, I have an Enya powered boat right now that would fill the bill.  The skier, big problem.  Light enough to float but heavy enough to stay on the water and not get airborne.  Perhaps a solid wire (coat hanger) connection boat to skier instead of lines?  I would like to see it.  Anyone game?  Do I hear contest?

RC water-skier...... Skier_10
RC water-skier...... Skier_11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 10754
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : West Virginia

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  aspeed Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:29 pm

There is Twiggy the squirrel. Not mine but somewhat interesting video if you turn the volume down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdmuVQAQSrY
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 790
Join date : 2013-01-19
Location : Leamington Ont. Can.

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  roddie Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:06 am

balogh wrote:Hey Roddie,

your post reminds me of the mid-1970s when the large Hungarian lake Balaton was home to motorsports including water skiing. My father - a relatively well-to-do doctor in a socialist country - had 50HP Mercury then 50HP Johnson outboard engine powered mahogany motorboats, and towed my sister on mono ski, and myself and my friends on pairs of skis...one of my early encounters with American engine technology behind the iron curtain, around the same time when I got my first COX engine from a lucky friend...those were the best summers in my life..

IC engine powered boats have been banned since those days because of environmental reasons..the surface of the lake is about 600 sq.km-s and deepest point is maybe 4m or so, a vulnerable water...

Hi Andras! I'm happy to have struck a "favorite note" in your memory! I have never tried water-skiing.. and it's a bit late now.. Laughing That said; it would be fun to try to design a scale-model water skier that could be controlled remotely. I've given it a bit of thought.. which shouldn't surprise you.. Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 8398
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 64
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:45 am

You could take it one step further, have a skiing hang glider. This may be easier if simplified to a regalo wing on aircraft pontoons. Just watching a flying tow-line glider would be fun whilst zipping around a pond.
RC Plane Fishing lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Posts : 5401
Join date : 2013-07-14
Age : 70
Location : Clovis NM or NFL KC Chiefs

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  sosam117 Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:56 pm

Just watched a movie last night with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd called "The Great Outdoors".
One part of the movie Aykroyd has a speed boat powered by a 455 cu.in. 8-cylinder engine with over 600hp.

Click on the link below to watch it and see the boat used:
Accidental Waterskiing

I had a friend that used his "jet" boat for pulling water skiers.
I had the misfortune to be skiing at the time when he was at full speed and the wooden handle in my hand broke in two and I sucked up some river water at about 50mph.
Boy, the next day I was sore and aching all over!

By the way, I have a boat for you?
It is a Koysho Jet Stream GP-10.
It has an OS .10 engine and I painted it in the same colors and design to match the Caterpillar's offshore racing boat.
But used the Koysho decals on the boat that were included in the box.

It is great shape and the engine was overhauled last summer, so it is as good as new!
Lucky to have a rebuild kit I purchased years ago for the engine, as it had all new gaskets, screws, and everything needed to rebuild the engine.
Replaced the rubber boots on the pushrods for the outboard steering (dry rot) and new fuel tubing
And made it seaworthy again.

This boat will defiantly pull a squirrel around the lake, maybe even if he had one of those parafoils he could be pulled around in the air?
RC water-skier...... 00_kyo13
RC water-skier...... 00a_ky12
RC water-skier...... 00b_ky11
RC water-skier...... 02_top12
RC water-skier...... 03_ins11
RC water-skier...... 04_o_s12
RC water-skier...... 05_rad11
RC water-skier...... 06_out11
RC water-skier...... 07_out12

I later on purchased the electric version of the same boat.
Reason being is at least when the batteries start dying (slowing down) you'll have enough power to get it to shore.
When the engine quits, most of the time, it's in the middle of the lake.
Of course, I had a fishing pole with a small rubber ball on the end of the line and try to cast over the boat to snag it for retrieval.

If you look at the bow in the photos, you'll see a hook at the bow to snag the small rubber ball.
This boat is for sale --- local pick-up only (Joliet, Illinois)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1301
Join date : 2016-03-23
Location : Suburb of Chicago, Illinois

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  944_Jim Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:27 pm

Roddie,
Your post jogged a memory from my time in the Massachusetts ARNG. I was drilling in Framingham at that time. One of my battle buddies owned a small motorboat and a knee-board. "Oh, it's easy" he said.
One fine Saturday after drill we took the boat and board to the lake by the Natick Test Labs. I watched dude #1 jump in, strap on, and grab the handle. The wee, little boat shuddered and overcame his drag, and he popped up on a plane. Three passes later, "Jim, you got the idea?"
Ummm...not really. They tossed me in after strapping me to the board. I grabbed the handle and operator floored the throttle. I'm twitching and turning trying to get the leading edge pointed up as they just about bottom-dragfed the lake with me. Noting my distress, the previous skier had the operator slow down so I could surface and breathe. "You OK? You know you CAN let go of the handle when you want!" Yeah, but I was all in for trying. Attempt #2 was a much better launch as I ensured to have a high angle of attack. I did note we were going much slower with me basically plowing water out of my way, so I tipped the LE down a bit just the operator started the turn at the end of the run. Then I promptly caught the tail of the outside wake, and went face first to the water. I decided to let go as the sub-aquatic ambient light was getting dark fast.
Rising back to the surface took "forever," so I declined a third try.

_________________
Never enough time to build them all...always enough time to smash them all!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 1985
Join date : 2017-02-09
Age : 59
Location : NE MS

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  roddie Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:03 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:You could take it one step further, have a skiing hang glider. This may be easier if simplified to a regalo wing on aircraft pontoons. Just watching a flying tow-line glider would be fun whilst zipping around a pond.
RC Plane Fishing lol!

That has possibilities George.. Huh... I think it would be a lot easier to accomplish.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 8398
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 64
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  roddie Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:38 pm

sosam117 wrote:
(partial quote)

By the way, I have a boat for you?
It is a Koysho Jet Stream GP-10.
It has an OS .10 engine and I painted it in the same colors and design to match the Caterpillar's offshore racing boat.
But used the Koysho decals on the boat that were included in the box.

It is great shape and the engine was overhauled last summer, so it is as good as new!
Lucky to have a rebuild kit I purchased years ago for the engine, as it had all new gaskets, screws, and everything needed to rebuild the engine.
Replaced the rubber boots on the pushrods for the outboard steering (dry rot) and new fuel tubing
And made it seaworthy again.

This boat will defiantly pull a squirrel around the lake, maybe even if he had one of those parafoils he could be pulled around in the air?

RC water-skier...... 00_kyo13


That's a sharp looking boat! The OS Max FP .10 RC-M is a great little engine too. Smart to have bought the rebuild kit for that engine when you did.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 8398
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 64
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  sosam117 Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:12 pm

roddie wrote:
sosam117 wrote:
(partial quote)

By the way, I have a boat for you?
It is a Koysho Jet Stream GP-10.
It has an OS .10 engine and I painted it in the same colors and design to match the Caterpillar's offshore racing boat.
But used the Koysho decals on the boat that were included in the box.

It is great shape and the engine was overhauled last summer, so it is as good as new!
Lucky to have a rebuild kit I purchased years ago for the engine, as it had all new gaskets, screws, and everything needed to rebuild the engine.
Replaced the rubber boots on the pushrods for the outboard steering (dry rot) and new fuel tubing
And made it seaworthy again.

This boat will defiantly pull a squirrel around the lake, maybe even if he had one of those parafoils he could be pulled around in the air?

RC water-skier...... 00_kyo13


That's a sharp looking boat! The OS Max FP .10 RC-M is a great little engine too. Smart to have bought the rebuild kit for that engine when you did.

I made templates from the original gaskets and used gasket material from Bob Brooks (shtterman@aol.com).
Bob sells gasket material in sheets (thick and thin) for Enya engines but they did a good job on the OS engine from the ones I made. I used the .2mm thick gasket material sheet. The other gasket material is .5mm thick
Still have the rebuild kit intact for next time?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1301
Join date : 2016-03-23
Location : Suburb of Chicago, Illinois

Back to top Go down

RC water-skier...... Empty Re: RC water-skier......

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum