Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Seventy years ago this week Cox_ba12

Seventy years ago this week Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 1:30 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by layback209 Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Seventy years ago this week Empty
Live on Patrol

Seventy years ago this week

Go down

Seventy years ago this week Empty Seventy years ago this week

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:39 pm

Well it could have been.

Said goodby to my favorite Walt Musciano model as I watched it slowly circle away. I had just finished flying it C/L when it quit. Unhitched the lines and was trying to run the rest of the tank out when I thought, just sit it down and see what happens. With the pickup tube toward the side of the tank it shouldn't run long. So I just let it go.

Big mistake, it took off and slowly circled out of sight and I never found it. But, I still have the instructions that came with it safely tucked away in a three ring binder.

Seventy years ago this week P1015848

Fast forward to this afternoon when I was searching Blackhawk models and found this.

Seventy years ago this week Bhm_li11
Seventy years ago this week Bhm_li10

Should be here late this week. I will mount a Space Bug Jr. on it. What goes around, comes around even after seventy years. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Seventy years ago this week Empty Re: Seventy years ago this week

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:40 pm

Bob, my Scientific Little Bipe of the late 1960's, elevator resembles your plan. The Black Hawk version has a slightly different elevator.

Just too bad we don't have Walt's earlier plan of the one shown in photos that preceded the later one with common fuselage used in a good number of Scientific kits. (This fuselage was also the same as used in the later Little Devil.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Seventy years ago this week Empty Seventy years ago this week

Post  Eddy Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:04 pm

In 2006 I met Currell Pattie along with Walt Musciano and Larry Rice of Black Hawk models. Our club was hosting a Musciano contest in Walts honor. Many things were talked about during the course of the day, one of which was of the Little Bipe. It could have been brought out in 1949 or early 1950. Some pictures of it show a much longer fuselage in it's earliest form. Currell had information on the early Little Bipe that it seemed to have a wing span of 16 in. with a total of 96 in. sq. with an OK Cub engine to .099 for power. The name of John Friscoli sr. was brought up as being the owner of Scientific Models of the time. The paper thin profit margins of the day led to constant adjustments in wing spans and air foil thickness and the hollow log shortning in order to stay in the financial black. In a 1952 M.A.N. magazine artical, it stated the Little Bipe having a 13 in span and 78 sq. in. of the time. Finally what we see today is a 11 3/4  span with 70.5 sq. in. and a Cub .074 for top power. I have never seen an early Little Bipe kit with the 16 in. span for sale. mine is the 11 3/4 in. span and the very short hollow log body. For me, it is a real challange to stay in the air and nothing short of a lawn dart when the engine runs out of fuel. The Scientific Little Bipe, is a curioisty of it's time. When new idea's generated meager profits for another idea. Such was the Scientific model plane era. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:55 am

Thanks George and Eddy.  Seems like the Little Bipe evolved over the years.  I wonder how many are hanging in attics and garages.  Probably many more in landfills engines and all.  Sad

Scanned it again.  Easier to read.

Seventy years ago this week Scan_193
Seventy years ago this week Scan_194

While searching Blackhawk models on ebay, this popped up.  BIN or make an offer which I did and was accepted.  New one on me.

Seventy years ago this week Sjvvdn10
Seventy years ago this week Perky10

George and Eddy - Do you have pictues current or early of your Bipes?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:27 am

Thanks, Bob for the plan scan. Yes, that is the kit plan I built my Little Bipe from in high school, may have been 1969. I saved the plan to my archives. My brother built the 18" Little Devil, same fuselage and elevator. He painted it with enamel spray can. Later gave it to me. I stripped the Navy blue paint off, finished it in orange and green dope.

@Eddy , the 16" early version would have been similar in proportions to Carl Goldberg's profile Little Bipe of same wingspan.

I read a write up by Walt Musciano shared by Joe Wagner in the late 1990's, in his PDF newsletter blog. The sizing of the kit pieces was to maximize the use of the available balsa sizes at the time. 18" wings meant a sheet of 1/8"x3"x36" could supply two kits. The 12" Little Bipe Wing (11.75" because of losses from sawing) could supply one and a half kits.

The hollow log fuselage was 1" thick for fuselage width, a standard block size. The triangular tail wedge was to make up for the 6" length of the fuselage forward section. Again were sized to maximize the available standard block size.

By using the same sub-assemblies across several kits simplified assembly line production operations.

I still enjoyed the cost advantage of all the competition. Kits were extremely affordable for a kid. Even though the wood was not optimal, it still made for a successful flying model. That was their goal.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down