Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Cox_ba12

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Empty
Live on Patrol

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far? Did Cox win the sales war ........

Go down

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Empty The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far? Did Cox win the sales war ........

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:07 pm

and give up on serious control line model airplanes?

I own and have flown a lot of Cox model airplanes and the TD-1 in my opinion set a standard that Cox never again equaled for control line models.  

I got the Cox TD-3 today and find that it's a five and dime store airplane hitched to a great little motor.  Compared to the TD-1 and subsiquent Cox models it's a joke.  The material for the fuselage assembly would not make it as packaging material.  I wonder how many of these suffered terminal damage with the first landing.  

But, it arrived safe and super well packed, good thing a bump might have reduced it to pieces.  

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015964
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015965
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015966
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015968
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015969
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015967
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015970
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Empty Re: The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far? Did Cox win the sales war ........

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:45 pm

Well, this one slipped off the edge of the earth without comment.  Surprisingly as I was expecting backlash.  How dare you criticize a Cox product, and on the Cox Engine Forum too?  Sacrilege.

But it is my contention that the Cox TD-3 model leaves a lot to be desired, starting with the material chosen for the body, same stuff that they made Halloween Masks out of if I recall correctly.  It's worthy to note that Cox never used that material again.  

Not that it's not a desired collectible, it is and probably every true Cox collector has at least one.  But,  I wouldn't cross the street to buy another, however I do have a second Cox TD-1 coming.

Just to illustrate a major design flaw.  The pivot for the bellcrank is anchored at both ends inside the wing and depends (on this early edition at least) for support.  This little used model shows the result.  The stress of flight forced the bellcrank up separating the pivot from the bottom and breaking the pivot up through the top of the wing.  Not a good feature.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015971
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015973
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015974
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015972

Got a great engine though.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015975

It seems with later TD-3's with the new engine Cox placed a bearing/support on the pivot.  (Far left)

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Ebay_t11
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Ebay_t12

Still, does nothing for that fragile body material.  The above is presently available on ebay if anyone is interested.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Empty Re: The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far? Did Cox win the sales war ........

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:24 pm

Bob, this is a throwback to the Lanier RC ARF kits back in the late 1960's to late 1970's. I had their 3 channel Pinto for legacy .25-.35 power. It was formed similar to your TD-3, except a bit more substantive. I can see why the TD-3 was discontinued, as you pointed out, although lightweight, it is fragile (why Halloween masks were short-lived too). But, you and others own a bit of history about Cox so it's RTF legacy lives on. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duaneh Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:25 pm

Wow! That is some serious damage to the bellcrank mount.
This one doesn't show that, in spite of other signs of use.
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ 100_4615
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ 100_4616
duaneh
duaneh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:03 am

Ok, I'm going to have to eat some of my words here!

I got to thinking, the seller did not mention any damage in his ebay description.  So, I just went back and checked his pictures and found this:

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Td-3_n10

No damage around the BC pivot.  Can't be travel damage, he packed this thing like it was going to Mars and there was no crush damage to the box.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015978
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015980
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015979
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015981
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015982

But, looking closer, he packed it too well, lot's of packing above and below the plane, then when he closed the box he must have compressed the packing around the wing pressing the bottom up and forcing the pivot through the top of the wing.  Doesn't excuse the fragility of the material.  

I am not going to complain, the seller accepted my offer and the shipping was free, I gave him positive feedback.  I still would not cross the street to buy another, but if someone dropped a freeby on my front doorstep..................................

I have a fix in mind but it's still going to stick out like a sore thumb.  

Funny, my TD-1 arrived damaged too and I have another on the way.  Crossed fingers!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:47 pm

Only repair that I can think of without destroying the plane. Angers me a bit now that I think of it, casual damage to an otherwise perfect airplane that was avoidable.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015983

But, Mark showed up today with this made in China Sopworth Camel. Has about the same material covering as the TD-3 but less brittle. At first I thought it was a Proctor model, but more like Hobby Lobby stuff.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015985
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015986
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015984
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015989
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015987
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015988

Airfoil wing, controlable surfaces. Mauricio could install a radio and an engine and fly it. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:14 pm

That’s really too bad Bob the packaging was done so poorly damaging what looks like an otherwise pristine example…..I’m sure the weak plastic the plane was made from is probably why not very many have survived….. I bet at least made it light weight though….. Cox was still a young company when this was produced and probably still in a learning stage themselves…. I remember the Stanzel electric motorized planes that looked like they were made of a similar plastic….. If they were ever stressed it would leave a mark in the crease and usually develop to a crack later….. I think the whole plastics industry was still very young at the time…..Anyway, You still have a very nice, colorful example of I’m guessing a pretty rare bird Very Happy

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:15 am

He may have packed it okay, but the shipping companies sometimes seems to employ guerillas who put heavy items on top of it, crushing the box exterior, putting force on the internal structure. I look at the photo of your shipping box as received, Bob, and it does looked like it has experienced some crushing from heavier objects placed on top of it.

I've had double boxed items from Musician's Friend with a smashed instrument inside. TLC handling is often lacking, unfortunately.

This almost wants one to go to one of their Guitar Centers nearby, order an item through them, let them QA it prior to receipt. Sad, but seems to be very typical these days. Sad
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:40 am

Well, the box is beyond repair, so that's why I'm going to repair it.  I should send it to Charles!

Top isn't bad, seen worse but the bottom will have to be replaced.  Presently it's loaded with mouse/cockroach droppings and sports a fungus that should be investigated by the NIH.  Did someone say Hunta virus.  

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015990
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015992
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015991

Found a home for the camel, screwed it to the wall. Just had to repair one guy wire.  Heavy oak base.  Nieuports, Guillows.................

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015995

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015994

Second TD-1 due today via FedEx,  double fingers crossed.

Last edited by rsv1cox on Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:26 am

rsv1cox wrote:Top isn't bad, seen worse but the bottom will have to be replaced.  Presently it's loaded with mouse/cockroach droppings and sports a fungus that shold be investigated by the NIH.  Did someone say Hunta virus.
Bob, I was working for the US Public Health Service when the Hanta Virus outbreak occurred on the Navajo Reservation. Our sanitarians were capturing mice, lopping their heads off and shipping them to CDC packed in dry ice. That is when they discovered the virus. It's a virus, not a fungus.

However, there is also a dangerous fungal condition called histoplasmosis caused by the fungus histoplasma capsulatem. It may be found in bat and bird feces. If one becomes ill, for a healthy person with good immune system, it comes and goes like a case of the flu. But for those with weakened immune systems, in advanced disease stages, the person appears to have symptoms similar to tuberculosis. Person is administered strong anti-fungal medication to overcome.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/histoplasmosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20373495
https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/histoplasmosis/index.html

Back in the mid 2000's, we had several small abatement projects where we had birds roosting in facilities and on rooftops of government buildings.

Hanta Virus, information we were given is that is it a virus that doesn't live long outside a host (animal or human). It was believed to be propogated by those who came in contact with fresh urine or feces of the mice. A 10:1 water to bleach solution definitely kills the virus. Was told that even sunlight kills the virus. Some links:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hantavirus-pulmonary-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20351838
https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/outbreaks/seoul-virus/cleaning-up-pet-rodents.html

If a person came down with the virus, the treatment was simple. They put the patient into an induced coma, their body's immune system could concentrate itself on fighting the virus. There was something like a 50-50 percent survival rate. If one's defense system overcame it, they would bring the person out of the induced coma. If they didn't, then ...

CDC's instructions are sufficient, so I won't repeat what they said. One thing our sanitarians were telling us informally in discussions, that the researchers examined cases of mysterious deaths where cause was unknown. Examining the circumstantial evidence, concluded that it was possible they suscumbed to Hanta Virus. They also discovered that based on the peculiarities of these deaths, there is a good possibility that the virus covered a larger area than just the Navajo Reservation, more or less throughout the US.

Anyway, now you hardly hear about it these days, but still good background to keep in mind.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:10 pm

Thanks George for correcting my Hunta/Hanta virus spelling. I was too lazy to look it up. And your right, we do not hear anything about it now, it used to be all over the news, and I should have better connected the mouse droppings and the virus.

I am having a problem finding the correct heavy duty cardboard for the boxes bottom. I have a lot of double layered cardboard, and some single layered which I will have to press into service. The test piece I cut is just to find my way. I think I can cleanup and keep the dark blue bottom riser.

The TD-1's box that I have coming is a mess too, but the plane is as new. By contrast there is another TD-1 on ebay with a nasty airplane but the box is pristine.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Td-1_n10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:21 pm

Hi rsv1cox,
That TD-3 is beautiful ! Thanks for sharing !
I'm guessing very early ABS plastic tech...
Have no idea how the cool graphics, were applied ?
I bet the early molds wore out.
Imagine,
If they had our modern moldable plastics back then...
We would just replace props,
And the Cox PT-19,
Would not have been injected molded. !
My opinion.
Thanks for the History...
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:44 pm

Thanks Dave, Some sort of overlay perhaps. Using a fingernail there is a step between base red and the decoration and a change in texture from smooth to rough.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015996
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015997

The repair, best I can do. Vinyl tape holds the pin well and the base is still somewhat supported by the plastic. Still, it bothers me a little more each day. Colorful significant event in the Cox history story.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015998
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016000
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1015999

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:04 pm

Oh well, I made a second offer on this one (lower than the first) which was accepted.  Plane only nothing else.  Sent him pictures of the damage to the first one and explained to pack it well but loosely if that makes any sense.  Like, don't compress that wing.  

Be nice to have the later model with the Babe Bee and a different paint scheme.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Checke10
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ Checke11

Second TD-1 arrived intact this afternoon.  

About it for Cox..............the RX-7 needs some love.

Seller listened. Packed with foam peanuts and shipped FedEx. California to West Virginia........... Sad

Last edited by rsv1cox on Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:46 am

nice collection of TDs , have you all three improvements now ? 1-2-3 that box is a mess but am sure you can do a fix on it . Is the Bipe Mark got you have a real radial engine in it ? Very Happy This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:56 am

getback wrote:nice collection of TDs , have you all three improvements now ? 1-2-3 that box is a mess but am sure you can do a fix on it . Is the Bipe Mark got you have a real radial engine in it ? Very Happy This Site Rocks!

I wish that it did Eric. Smile  But the radial is nicely done, very realistic.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016001

Mark suggested that I toss it in the trash, but I hung it on the wall instead.  I bet if I locked the ailerons and hitched up a C/L elevator installed an Enya .09 it would fly.  It's not very heavy for the size despite the extensive detail.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:37 pm

The TD-3, the final chapter and the final insult!

Overall I have become quite fond of the little err......... thing.  Not quite enough to hang it on the wall but rather boxed away on or near "The Wall of Shame."

The engine is locked with castor goo and it's not coming off without damage to the airframe.  You can't apply heat with the heat gun and localized heat isn't doing much. I managed to get one engine mount screw off - too much heat will damage the plastic backplate and the plastic mounting holes.  Tried heating the case applying some MMO and rocking the prop to no joy.  It is as it is.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016043
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016044
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016045

Gave up and cleaned the castor off with Simple Green and Alcohol then finished the box.  Sorry there too.  I was having no luck repairing the blue base from the inside so I used Duct tape on the outside.  Thought about clear, NOT! If it's a mess it's going to be a mess.  

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016047
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016048
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016049

Example inner box will have to do for now until I can find the proper cardboard.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016048
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016050
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016051
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:33 pm

I have been sweating this one out. Checking the tracking over days I saw that FedEx shipped it ground stopping at 10 different points from California to West Virginia. I gave it little hope.

Gave it less when I saw this:

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016089
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016090

But, all's well that ends well!

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016092
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016093
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016091

Not a shipping scratch. Top is dusty, the engine turns freely, and it shows no signs of ever being cleaned or fueled.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016094
The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016095

But it's trying to tell me something..........Get off this Cox bit and get back to work.

The Cox TD-3 - a Bridge too far?  Did Cox win the sales war ........ P1016096
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:38 pm

Great, Bob, glad to hear that it survived shipping's worst nightmare. Surprised Good to see there's nothing you need to repair, NOS at its best. Very Happy And, a late maybe last TD-3 model with Babe Bee? Smile
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:56 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Great, Bob, glad to hear that it survived shipping's worst nightmare. Surprised Good to see there's nothing you need to repair, NOS at its best. Very Happy And, a late maybe last TD-3 model with Babe Bee? Smile

Yes, nice little shiney Babe Bee. Still got that new car Santa Anna smell. It is a California plane after all.........Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:17 pm

Looks good Bob
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:42 am

Very nice examples of early and late models…I like both color schemes but lean toward the early one….I’m sure quite sensational when they were first released…. Amazing technology and manufacturing for their time…,Thanks for the tour of these  Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:16 pm

Bob, just curious, but how does the Babe Bee equipped TD-3 balance? Except for a change of engine, colors and decorations, appears same as the first ones. Is it nose heavy, as Mark Boesen thought and mentioned in your other thread?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:00 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bob, just curious, but how does the Babe Bee equipped TD-3 balance? Except for a change of engine, colors and decorations, appears same as the first ones. Is it nose heavy, as Mark Boesen thought and mentioned in your other thread?

About the same George, maybe an eighth but right at the forward edge of the wing tips with a five or ten degree nose down attitude.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down