Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! Cox_ba12

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:43 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rsv1cox Today at 6:27 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 6:23 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again! Surprise Delivery!!!

Go down

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! Empty A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again! Surprise Delivery!!!

Post  Kim Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:25 pm

From My Facebook Page:
---------------------------------------------------------------
"Cold, dreary days make for a good time spent rescuing little Castor Slingers from their Cigar Box Prison.

So, we got some mercy / TLC being thrown at this little .049 that's been in the dark for some 54 years.

The engine has a "Postage Stamp" backplate named, I figure, for its rectangular shape.  These backplates had no mounting holes...they held their engine in place by "keying" into slots molded into the fuselage sides of their plastic ready-to-fly model airplanes.  When the fuselage screws were tightened, the engines were clamped in place.

You remember...those soul-crushing, Christmas Destroying, plastic bombs that, if launched at all, usually plummeted into mother earth, taking our dreams with them?

Adding to that devastation were the "Postage Stamp" engines, which would fight any kid who tried to re-purpose them in another plane.

Carl Goldberg Models to the rescue!!!  This company sold a lot of model airplane accessories, and came up with an adapter that would allow the Postage Stamps to power the much more flyable balsa wood models.

By happy coincidence,, Goldberg ALSO marketed a long line of such balsa models that would just love the Postage Stamps!  So many an orphaned engine found itself making control line laps on the front of a Goldberg plane.

I believe my Postage Stamp began life in the nose of a Cox P-51 Mustang that was flown by all of us at one time or another.

The Mustang was gradually pounded to death, and I ended up with its engine...but never used an adapter on it.

Now, it's back in the game, and will be appearing on the snout of the Q-Tee in its next video."
--------------------------------------------------------
"A Diamond in the Rough"
A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! Dsc_0167
A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 100_116
A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 115_110
A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 120_112
A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 121_12
A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 125_110
A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 130_111
A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 140_111

Last edited by Kim on Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! Empty Re: A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again! Surprise Delivery!!!

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:08 pm

Living my dream Kim. Old stuff brought to life again.

A great tutorial for the uninitiated.

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! P1016642
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! Empty Re: A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again! Surprise Delivery!!!

Post  balogh Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:47 pm

Kim, I could not agree more with your post.

My favorite reedie is the red postage stamp backplate 049, especially with No1 cylinder, a real furious little rascal that morphs into a bomb with a Kamtechnik or Galbreath head.

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 20220816

Last edited by balogh on Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:53 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Living my dream Kim.  Old stuff brought to life again.  

A great tutorial for the uninitiated.

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! P1016642

Thanks Bob!!!!

I try, with these Facebook posts, to make them understandable to anyone interested in them, along with jump-starting a memory or two in all us kindred souls.

This already happened in a post from Hollis Fenn:

"I bought one of those CG adapters after the Cox Corsair would no longer rubber band back together. I put it on a c sheet blasa combat wing type of plane I got by mail from America's Hobby Center in NYC. I made a fuel tank from one of Mom's medicine bottles and it was way to big. I was flying in the backyard trying to keep it between the clothes line and an oak. Finally dizziness prevailed and I parked it in the oak. I though my Dad was going to die laughing!"

Love this stuff!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:58 pm

balogh wrote:Kim, I could not agree more with your post.

My favorite reedie is the red postage stamp backplate 049, especially with No1 cylinder, a real furious little rascal that morphs into a bomb with a Kamtechnik or Galbreath head.

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 20220816

YES!!! Kindred Souls We are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Old Bugger Old Bugger Old Bugger
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:09 pm

I love your picture Andras, I know from your past posts of your love for these postage stamp engines and the Goldberg mount.  

Six beautiful well tended engines and one on the plane.  I even appreciate the evil Cox spring starters, the first thing to go on my Cox engines.  On your's they seem to add a bit to the overall visual appeal.

But, I could never get used to them, index finger reaching back to pick up the end while attempting to back-spin the prop which ususally results in an offending dimple or scratch.  I only finger flip or when desperate use a spinner and a half A starter.  Perhaps the one thing that Wen Mac/Testors improves over the Cox engines is their "Roto-matic" starter.  What a pleasure to use.  

Another one of mine just to show the contrast between your beautifully rendered examples and an also-ran.  The one pictured above obviously was made up from parts.  

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! P1016645
A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! P1016646

And Kim, I can identify with Hollis only I have parked mine in Pine, and more than one at that.  Happy times.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:52 am

Thanks Bob,

I love the spring starters, especially this non-friction old school version on my engines.

I guess the rotomatic starter on the Wen Mac and Testors engines was a sort of ratchet starter, that adds some permanent friction, like the snap starter on the later COX engines like the sure start? I have some reservation against those because of their small but existent power robbing feature and constant wear of the ratcheting parts.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:59 am

balogh wrote:Thanks Bob,

I love the spring starters, especially this non-friction old school version on my engines.

I guess the rotomatic starter on the Wen Mac and Testors engines was a sort of ratchet starter, that adds some permanent friction, like the snap starter on the later COX engines like the sure start? I have some reservation against those because of their small but existent power robbing feature and constant wear of the ratcheting parts.
The Testors Rotomatic have 2 pawls which disengage once running, so there isn't really any additional friction. Its biggest downfall is probably the additional weight. But then, if we're talking Pipe Bomb engine, they're pretty light in the first place.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:17 am

Nice write up on the postage stamp Cox engine . I do have a few of them now never flew one on a plastic model but have repurposed before and they are really good runners . yea Goldberg new what he was doing when he made the adaptive mount so they could bee reused on his models too LOL Really cool that Jason had made and printed a few for the members here to try ( still wonder what happened to him ?? Shocked  No one has heard from him or Bob Dickerson ! Neutral
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:20 am

getback wrote:Nice write up on the postage stamp Cox engine . I do have a few of them now never flew one on a plastic model but have repurposed before and they are really good runners . yea Goldberg new what he was doing when he made the adaptive mount so they could bee reused on his models too LOL Really cool that Jason had made and printed a few for the members here to try ( still wonder what happened to him ?? Shocked  No one has heard from him or Bob Dickerson ! Neutral

I PM'ed  Bob (dckrsn) at about the same time I PM'ed Rene.  It's still in my outbox unread and unanswered.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:15 pm

From My Facebook Page:
------------------------------------------------
Christmas in November!!!!!

Checked the mail on the way home this morning to discover THIS!!!!

Long time friend and fellow Castor Slinger Fan, Mark Boesen, sent me a spray bar/needle valve assembly for my Postage Stamp Engine...AND...a whole 'nother complete postage stamp backplate!!!!!

Some lucky junk yard orphan is about to see daylight!!!!

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! Dsc_0179

The competition was fierce among the old Castor Slingers vying to power Mark's Postage Stamp Backplate!

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 109_110

And, the Winner of the "Which Engine Gets Mark's Vintage Postage Stamp Backplate Contest" is:

This well-worn, skinny-necked case, and what I THINK is a #2 cylinder (no stamped number, but single port).

So, the "Caster Slinger Stories We Could Tell Adventure" continues...

A "Postage Stamp Relic" Rises Again!  Surprise Delivery!!! 105_114

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:13 am

cheers for Mark coming through for you with the back plate and extra needle assy. Good pick for the runner up with the skinny nose i like those engines and seem to perform good all the time sunny This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:17 am

getback wrote:cheers  for Mark coming through for you with the back plate and extra needle assy. Good pick for the runner up with the skinny nose i like those engines and seem to perform good all the time sunny This Site Rocks!

Hey Eric!

Yeah, this type of thing has happened several times over the years with my great friends here on the C.E.F., and it's ALWAYS greatly appreciated!

The .049 Cigar Box is gonna get a little more crowded as I search through the dusty back-shelves for "strays" that got wrapped up in strips of paper towels and tucked away in project boxes of years past.

This stuff is so much fun.

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down