Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair Cox_ba12

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 11:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:39 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair Empty
Live on Patrol

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair

Go down

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair Empty K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:02 am

I have seen a lot of castings in my lifetime, HO gauge locomotives - plastic, zinc, brass, bronze; model airplane engines etc.. But I have never seen a casting better than this K&B outboard engine. From the starter on down to the propeller it is excellent. Fit and finish even on this vintage example is so well done. I wonder why Cox never offered one.

Box is stained and the stage for the engine is well bent. Pledge and a warm Monokote iron helped to lessen the damage.

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016670
K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016669
K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016671
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair Empty Re: K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:09 am

Boxed and as far as I'm going to go.

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016676
K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016677
K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016678

On ebay now - sellers description -

"No way of testing but engine turns over smoothly.  I know nothing about these engines"  Smile

Maybe he just means there are no binds..........Maybe.

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair Kb_tur10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair Empty Re: K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:52 pm

$10.95 back then is every bit of $100 today. I would think that very few teens owned one of these when they were offered.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:12 pm

Ken Cook wrote:          $10.95 back then is every bit of $100 today. I would think that very few teens owned one of these when they were offered.

This guy did Ken.  From his ebay description:

My Boyhood Sea Fury which powered a kit boat back it the day.  Turns over with a satisfying pop and is clean and complete.

Please note the ping pong balls dated '56 and initialed.  These were tied to the engine in case of a loose engine or "high speed disintegration".

Stand and balls included (currently cracked and fragile) if desired.

$100 would have bought all my Cox engines and hollow logs when I was a kid.  Earning fifty cents an hour - $5.00 for a 10 hour day working on a poultry farm wasn't easy and I watched every dime.  Still do.  The fellow accepted my offer.  

But Sea Fury #2 arrived today.  I was wondering how he was going to pack those ping-pong balls.  Clever, packed inside a hard plastic cylinder.

Slightly different engine, perhaps older model.  Glow plug configuration is different and there is no "pilot" (above on parts illustration) to set thrust angle.  Beautifully clean.

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016681
K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016680
K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016684
K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016685
K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016683

Edit add.... Whoops, looks like I never included a parts illustration. It's that multi-toothed thing just under the fuel tank.

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair Scan_310
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:27 am

Very Cool Bob ! She is clean that boy took good care of his toys , should get Jacob to put the instruction sheet in the section for them . That is a good idea to put ping pong balls on it to keep above waters to retrieve if needed Smile I had a chance to buy 3 of them at one time for $350 wish I had now and then but budget would not let me do it Sad Snowman Nice stand for it too ! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:56 am

getback wrote:Very Cool Bob ! She is clean that boy took good care of his toys , should get Jacob to put the instruction sheet in the section for them . That is a good idea to put ping pong balls on it to keep above waters to retrieve if needed Smile  I had a chance to buy 3 of them at one time for $350 wish I had now and then but budget would not let me do it Sad Snowman Nice stand for it too ! Very Happy

Thanks Eric. Me being me I installed the engine backwards on the stand. Picture above. Got it right now. I got a kick out of the fuel tank cap attached by a chain. Product of the '60's my '84 RX-7 doesen't even have that feature.

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair P1016686
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:14 am

Are you going to run it , i know I would want to hear that baby even in a tub of water (bathtub) lol! not This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:28 am

From an old Air Trails magazine I have….In “ kit reviews “ March, 1954….Thought it might be interesting …. You’re little outboard would be perfect for something like that…

K&B Sea Fury outboard engine, casting and box repair Aeada510
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:19 pm

getback wrote:Are you going to run it , i know I would want to hear that baby even in a tub of water (bathtub) lol!  not This Site Rocks!

Nah, I'm to much of a coward. The two I have are just too nice. I have been looking for a beat-up example but the worst ones now on ebay are still too nice and cost more than the two that I have. One will pop up some day. The damaged Wen Mac with the Cox cylinder is in my mailbox right now, I'm just to lazy to go down and get it.

Nap time for this old fella after spending the morning working in the woods.

Robert, I keep my eye out for something. Maybe outerzone has plans. Steam and bend, I may make my own. Another "Silver Lining" that floats use for your stencils.

I find it strange, I never was attracted to these glow boat engines..................now
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down