Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Rehab of another lost cause Cox_ba12

Rehab of another lost cause Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Rehab of another lost cause Empty
Live on Patrol

Rehab of another lost cause

Go down

Rehab of another lost cause Empty Rehab of another lost cause

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:34 am

This might be my most dumb attempt.  Well abused "thin wall" that came with the Atwood outboard.

Rehab of another lost cause P1016742

I should have just tossed it but didn't.  Looked at it - well maybe it's a Space Bug or Space Bug Jr.cylinder/head, you can't tell just by looking.  But, the shoulder just above the case threads has been ground off along with much of the already thin cylinder wall.  First thing I did was look up through the cylinder to see if I had a "W" element glow head.  Nope, drat!

The usual - heat to get the glow head off and buffered Cox wrench through the exhaust ports.  It didn't work.  I wound up damaging the already damaged head to the point where I went the Wen Mac route filing the head down to where I could get a wrench on it.  Still stubbon but it worked.

Rehab of another lost cause P1016745

Disappointed, no SB SBJr.  Plane old thin wall early Babe Bee but with a surprise.

Rehab of another lost cause P1016743
Rehab of another lost cause P1016744

Alcohol soak and a pick got the caked on castor out of the fins and a dip in gun blue restored the finish after a long time spin on the drill press to file/sand off the tool marks.  

Rehab of another lost cause P1016746
Rehab of another lost cause P1016747

Ok, so I have half an engine.  Looking through parts I found one of Bernies old poorly anodized cases that he sold at a reduced price.  I bought a few.  Then a crank shaft from Matt, a plastic backplate, a 8cc tank from Bernie.  Rest - pick up tube/spring, drive washer, prop., gaskets came from parts on hand.  Worst was the case screws for the tank.  All I had were to long with the large phillips heads.  Heads had to be ground down and the shafts shortened.  Four of them - painful!

Rehab of another lost cause P1016749
Rehab of another lost cause P1016750
Rehab of another lost cause P1016748
Rehab of another lost cause P1016751
Rehab of another lost cause P1016752

But, I have an engine with compression that any Cox fan would be proud of and enough subduction, SPI, PDQ that may make you engine guys happy.  

Wondering about that compression.  Remember this cylinder has no shoulder to provide a stop.  Regardless it screws down to a point and stops that does not interfer with the operation of the piston/connecting rod.  But, when rotated there is a hitch in the pull-through.  Remove the head and rotation is fine.  My answer was to add a couple of gaskets which solved the problem.

The needle is for show, it's missing the tip and the threads are messed up.  I ran out of needles so it's back to Bernie or Matt along with most everything else..........Sad
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Rehab of another lost cause Empty Re: Rehab of another lost cause

Post  rdw777 Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:00 pm

Nice work up and save of another engine Bob… I like the new flats on the head in order to save it Thumbs Up ….. That one deserves a crank and run!!…. Engine day for me too… Running a PeeWee .020 with a throttle barrel….That may be the one for my Ace Littlest Stick rehab I’ve been putting off for awhile….

Rehab of another lost cause 1e8bfe10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:33 pm

It looks like you placed a grommet in the tanks hole Robert to hold and protect the fuel line.  Perhaps a gang of D cells to the right to supply power.

Stick series. Das Little Stick and others.  Popular a few years (decades) back.  

I do intended to run that put-together engine.  It just feels so right when you flip it.  It has more potential than the one on the stand next to it.

BTW, even with what I put that glow head through, the element still glows. I have used that method before to remove damaged Cox glow heads.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:56 am

Good Job on the restore , hope it runs good for you also ! That is cool with the filing of the glow head I have seen this before in sales on the Bay . Is that the cly that came with the outboard engine ? Snowman
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:07 am

getback wrote:Good Job on the restore , hope it runs good for you also ! That is cool with the filing of the glow head I have seen this before in sales on the Bay . Is that the cly that came with the outboard engine ? Snowman

Yes, it was a nasty little thing. You can just see the ridge where the shoulder stop was.

Rehab of another lost cause Atwood11

Seems funny, but it has a "flip" equal to my best Cox engines. Nice POP and no snap, crackle............
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Rehab of another lost cause Empty Damaged Glo Head Removal

Post  admiral Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:14 pm

Thanks for the tip on removing Damaged glo heads, bought a job lot of .049's a couple have damaged glo heads, got one off after a struggle , wish I had seen your method first.
admiral
admiral
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:43 pm

admiral wrote:Thanks for the tip on removing Damaged glo heads, bought a job lot of .049's a couple have damaged glo heads, got one off after a struggle , wish I had seen your method first.

Heat always helps. Complete circle Cox wrench works best but some glow heads are just beyond saving in original condition. Had I filed a bit more a 3/8th" open end wrench would have been a better choice so I used an adjustable/cresent wrench instead.

Good luck with your building and flying experiences and let us know how you're doing.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:28 pm

It looks like you placed a grommet in the tanks hole Robert to hold and protect the fuel line.  Perhaps a gang of D cells to the right to supply power.

Yes, That tank had a hole in it so I enlarged it enough to install an old servo grommet to protect the line… Also a couple of springs for fuel pick lines to keep it from kinking…. Runs a good long while with 6 cc’s from a balloon tank Thumbs Up
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:40 pm

This cylinder/headless engine is kicking me around a bit.

Rehab of another lost cause Atwood12

Not all Atwood/Wen Mac engines are created the same and this outboard has a different case which requires a different cylinder. I think that Wen Mac just milled off the skirt of the cylinder to accept the odd case. I have tried most of my Wen Mac engines swapping cylinders and heads around to get this thing going with no + results.

The problem is......the cylinders skirt extends down into the case to the extent that it blocks the connecting rod to make a full rotation. I have cylinders to spare so I'm going to sacrifice one just to find out. I already sacrificed (ground down) one of my good screwdrivers to fit in the cylinder exhaust ports to unscrew it.....yes, I know fear the burr but so far using a lot of heat - no problems just burned fingers.

A mess, but I'm leaving it for tonight.

Rehab of another lost cause P1016789
Rehab of another lost cause P1016790
Rehab of another lost cause P1016791
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:05 am

Fooled around with it a bit more this morning.

Check out that piston at TDC. Shows about an eighth" above the top of the cylinder. Must be a different case or connecting rod. I have got to dig out all my Wen Mac engines and do mix and match until I find the right combination.

Rehab of another lost cause P1016802
Rehab of another lost cause P1016803
Rehab of another lost cause P1016804

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down