Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Cox_ba12

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Empty
Live on Patrol

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats

Go down

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Empty A couple of my old dept. store RC boats

Post  roddie Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:12 am

I hadn't photographed these until yesterday.. but have had them for quite a while.

The 1st is a "Shinsei" Voyager. A 18"L. cabin cruiser powered by "twin" electric motors; was given to me by a friend back in the early 1990's.. but had no radio transmitter with it.

Below is a web image showing OEM equipment.

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Shinse10

Below image is mine.

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231221

FYI.. the "CF" is the USCG designation for a California registration.

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231223

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231222

Powered by twin 380 class (?) motors; it required X4 "C-cell" batteries (6VDC) for the motors and one 9V. transistor battery for the receiver.. (no BEC circuitry back then) I hogged-out the c-cell bay to fit a 7.2V sub-C NICD pack.. and installed a Futaba BEC equipped Rx/ESC combo which worked out nicely.

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231226

I rewired the motors in parallel. Originally; they were set-up for differential-thrust type steering control (no rudder needed).

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231224

The rudder shown below is a Graupner part; which was now required for conventional steering via a servo.

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231225

I reinforced the transom with a small block of plywood to mount it.

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231227

This was/is a relaxing little boat to sail. Not fast at all; it cruises at probably less than scale speed at full-power due to the gear-reductions in the drives.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Empty "Fountain" by New Bright

Post  roddie Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:33 am

Here's a boat that came from the now defunct (since 2018) "Benny's" discount-retail stores. I saw it alone price reduced, on an endcap near the check-out registers in the N. Attleboro, MA store one day.. and couldn't resist.

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231231

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231229

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231230

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231233

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231232

On/Off sw. and steering trim knob..

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20231234
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Empty Re: A couple of my old dept. store RC boats

Post  getback Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:30 am

Cool looking Boats roddie , I like the mods you did to the Voyager . I have a boat but don't recall the name of it , plastic runner sort it upstairs spotted it a few months ago when i was up there to close the window and turn off the fan for the winter . Really no water close by me at the time , now if I had a mud skimmer lol! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Empty Re: A couple of my old dept. store RC boats

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:13 am

There is a lot of water where roddie lives Eric. Beautiful State and one of my favorite duty stations at Newport. I know that mud thing, I have been playing in it for the last week. Four days of rain can make a mess when your working with a tractor in the woods.

I'm enjoying your thread roddie, and ditto on the Voyager.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Empty Shinsei Voyager 2024 (w/vid)

Post  roddie Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:39 pm

This boat would make a good recovery-boat for capsized/stalled models.. and I'd been wanting to get it..... and the radio I used to use with it.. going.

A goalpost/Y-shaped pool-noodle arrangement attached to the bow would be an easy way to do it. I naturally have a fear that the glow-powered boats that I'm trying to get built, could have an "engine-out" far from the shoreline. A recovery/rescue-vessel is just good insurance; especially if there's limited shore-access where you're running your model.

I'm not sure what class these old brushed motors are.. but they're smaller than 380's I believe. They came stock with RF/noise-suppression..

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20240724

and a gear-reduction in the twin-screw drives. There's a profound "paddle-wheel" effect because of this.. which makes my added rudder less effective.

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20240725

The model originally utilized "differential steering".. (screws operated opposite-rotation for turning left/right. No rudder required)

I have both right and left-hand 22mm props that I could use.. and rewire the motors to be counter-rotating, if I thought I could adapt the output-shafts to run them.. Eyebrows

I got my radio-issue  straightened-out somewhat... and carried them both poolside..

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20240727

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20240726

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20240728

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20240730

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20240729

Last edited by roddie on Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : re-wording)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:55 am

I enjoyed your video roddie. "Any critters want to go for a ride?" Smile

I wish I could find the video showing a squirrel water ski-ing.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:51 pm

Cool old boat Roddie…. Gear train gives it a scalish sound….Might be a good rescue boat if your rigger need that service…..Since it’s electric you could doll it up with lights and stuff if you wanted…. Thumbs Up
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:26 pm

rdw777 wrote:Cool old boat Roddie…. Gear train gives it a scalish sound….Might be a good rescue boat if your rigger need that service…..Since it’s electric you could doll it up with lights and stuff if you wanted…. Thumbs Up

I've always had a thing for Cabin-Cruisers.. and I'm PSYCHED that Juan is building a Dumas half-pint with styling cues influenced by Scientific's "Buckeye".. Very Happy

Yes.. it'd be a simple matter to install a short string of battery operated LED's.

I think I need to re-route the current Rx antenna to exit out through a hole in the top of the superstructure. I may try to make a mast from a bamboo skewer.. and secure the antenna wire to the top of it. Right now the antenna wire is woven through several hook and loop "stick-on pads" on the underside of the deck. Out of sight... but not the best place to have it.

A couple of my old dept. store RC boats 20240738
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:16 am

I worked on a flying bridge similar to your reduced RC model in the fall . while it was parked right next to mine. I smelled burning wire. I immediately got on board and disconnected the batteries. It was going to burn down due of a fire.electric problem Luckily I was on my boat I reacted just at the right time before the wires caught fire A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Img_2470
A couple of my old dept. store RC boats Img_2471
I like my old cruiser It is a 30 foot two 170 hp engine the boat is capable of getting out of the water and rolling on the step at 30mph
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down