Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

E-Bay Feed Back question Cox_ba12

E-Bay Feed Back question Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

E-Bay Feed Back question Empty
Live on Patrol

E-Bay Feed Back question

Go down

E-Bay Feed Back question Empty E-Bay Feed Back question

Post  fredvon4 Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:52 pm

What would CEF members do?

Recently I bid on a crapload of E-bay Cox engines while spending a small fortune at Cox International, Ex Model Engines, MECOA , Texas Timers and others

Very rarely do I get “burned”. And I think most of the time I come out Ok or even sometimes feel I “got over” on a deal

Recently, I bid on a Cox .09 RC that arrived as Cox .15 RC…won it for a bid of $43 against a max bid of $55. Motor is in very good condition and now I have two .15s, cool, no problem. I left good feedback and did not carp about the difference of advertised vs. delivered (seller was not one of the normal vintage/small engine guys)

While shopping and bidding on other .09s ( have a project for a TD or Medallion .09) I found a Black widow and Red .051 that had one day left with zero bids and a starting bid of $35. I max bid $35 on each and woke up next day as winner of both.

They arrived today and the Black widow is good to go but the Red TD .051 does not have a tell tale ring on base of piston so I am sure it is a .049

Question is, do all .051 pistons have the ring grove on them?

Should I just leave positive feedback?

I think as $35 is OK cost for a red TD .049… The engine is fine, good compression, red hot glow, does not appear to have been flown, and I am fairly certain the way it was listed the seller did not have a real clue what he was marketing

FWIIW Last year, my first (of 3) black TD 049s came with .051 piston/cylinder…again I assume due to the groove on bottom of piston
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

E-Bay Feed Back question Empty Re: E-Bay Feed Back question

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:03 pm

fredvon4 wrote:What would CEF members do?

Recently I bid on a crapload of E-bay Cox engines while spending a small fortune at Cox International, Ex Model Engines, MECOA , Texas Timers and others

Very rarely do I get “burned”. And I think most of the time I come out Ok or even sometimes feel I “got over” on a deal

Recently, I bid on a Cox .09 RC that arrived as Cox .15 RC…won it for a bid of $43 against a max bid of $55. Motor is in very good condition and now I have two .15s, cool, no problem. I left good feedback and did not carp about the difference of advertised vs. delivered (seller was not one of the normal vintage/small engine guys)

While shopping and bidding on other .09s ( have a project for a TD or Medallion .09) I found a Black widow and Red .051 that had one day left with zero bids and a starting bid of $35. I max bid $35 on each and woke up next day as winner of both.

They arrived today and the Black widow is good to go but the Red TD .051 does not have a tell tale ring on base of piston so I am sure it is a .049

Question is, do all .051 pistons have the ring grove on them?

Should I just leave positive feedback?

I think as $35 is OK cost for a red TD .049… The engine is fine, good compression, red hot glow, does not appear to have been flown, and I am fairly certain the way it was listed the seller did not have a real clue what he was marketing

FWIIW Last year, my first (of 3) black TD 049s came with .051 piston/cylinder…again I assume due to the groove on bottom of piston

Fred,

As far as I know all .051's have the groove. Since the performance is virtually the same between .049 and .051 my concern would be does it have a #4 cylinder.

I ran into the same problem a while back when doing an engine transfer for John Goddard. He had purchased an .051 and it came with a babe bee type cylinder on it.

I would say if the seller appeared to be knowledgeable and knew what they were selling then hold their feet to the fire. If you don't think the seller had a clue then I personally wouldn't want to deal with the hassle. As long as it's a TD cylinder anyway.....

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:03 pm

AFAIK All 051s had at least 1 ring.
I would leave positive, I leave all positive most of the time and all 5 stars.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Fred:

Yes, Cox .051 pistons show ring on them to disqualify the engines from 1/2A competions.

Black plastic venturi bodies indicate a TD; red indicates a Medallion except if they have been interchanged aftermarket. (It sometimes happens).
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:46 pm

SuperDave wrote:Fred:

Yes, Cox .051 pistons show ring on them to disqualify the engines from 1/2A competions.

Black plastic venturi bodies indicate a TD; red indicates a Medallion except if they have been interchanged aftermarket. (It sometimes happens).

i agree with SD, the ring around the piston will identify it as a .051, i also think that you probably dont have to contact the seller about this, sounds like a good price any way
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Fred:

FYI, note this: (NOT ORIGINAL COLOR) Could be

E-Bay Feed Back question IMG_1453

Features:
Plastic Material
New Original Cox Items

Designed For:
Cox .049 Tee Dee Engines
Cox .051 Tee Dee Engines
(Not Original Color)
SKU049TDCB
Our price:$7.95
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 am

As a rule if the seller is not a seasoned Cox seller always ask questions. They will back up what they sell with a refund policy and if grossly misrepresented return shipping can be negotiated.
I would want to know if the carb body is cracked, how's the compression, does the glow head glow and if it's a .051 does the piston have the groove? If it's a .049 or .051 is the cylinder numbered and are they ported correctly? It doesn't make sense for me to buy an engine for $35.00 and have to more money in it to correct any issues. There's plenty of engines too choose from.
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:39 am

Well I went ahead and contacted the seller through -bay and noted my concerns. His response was adequate (selling and estate and not real knowledgeable on glow engines). I left positive feedback and write it off to my own ignorance and reliance on one photo and description.

My quest these past several months is at least two of each engine I intend to use on an airplane. I am not a collector nor ever intend to be. And while I think I am smarter than the average hobbyist.

I freely admit there is much about the Cox engines I must learn…The real reason I lurk and read damned near every post on this forum and RC group. No easy task I might add, you are a prolific bunch of writers
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:22 am

My tuppence worth
I 'slipped' at the weekend and (whisper it) sold my first Cox on Fleabay.
The guy like me has glowing feedback and as he paid within moments of the auction ending I left him FB straight away.
I got an email first thing this Morning saying he wasn't happy with the engine.
Now, this brand new engine was taken from it's package direct from one of the main guys, had it's photo taken for the listing
and sent yesterday Morning.
However it isn't the buyers thing so I emailed him my No and he called half hour ago. He seems a great guy, he's gonna
send it back and I'm gonna refund him.
1, you win some you lose some.
2 my good feedback is too precious to risk over a meaningless difference of opinion.
3, I get (in my opinion) a great engine back.
Point I make is, if not happy with the third party get his No and have a chat. Most people are reasonable and the subtle
nuances of communication can be easily lost in the wriiten word.
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:43 am

I agree John and my philosiphy as a seller is the same. And fortunatly, in this case, I did OK on the buy as $35 for a good TD 049 is not excessive. The seller did offer to try and source a .051 pylinder (some one elses term) for me. I let him know that IF he could find a new .051 piston cylinder I would be willing to pay fair price.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down