Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


aero shrike Cox_ba12




aero shrike Pixel

Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by robot797 Today at 2:32 pm

» .020 Throttle
by rdw777 Today at 11:06 am

» Glow plug will not glow
by Levent Suberk Today at 11:01 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:28 am

» Snail type throttle
by Greenman38633 Today at 9:28 am

» K&B Torpedo .19 Green Head CL Needle Valve
by Ken Cook Today at 8:08 am

» Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine
by getback Today at 6:36 am

» Cox .35 and .40 in N├╝rnberg Toy Fair
by ffkiwi Today at 3:52 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 12:26 am

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 5:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery


aero shrike Empty
Live on Patrol


aero shrike

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

aero shrike Empty aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:46 am

hi, i have been wanting to build a aero shrike commander for .049 power for a while now and i found the plans for one
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/ShrikeTiled.pdf
what do you guys think? is this a good airplane to build and fly, is there any one on this site that has one and can tell me how it will fly if one of the .049 medallians died and the other kept running
thanks
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  FIXR7 Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:35 am

Hey Mitch,

Haven't got any info on the model but I remember a kit advertised. Ace R/C? maybe of House of Balsa?
Anyway I was certainly interested in building one too. Still am really but I've got enough stuff I haven't flown already!?Smile
FIXR7
FIXR7
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 31
Join date : 2012-04-04
Age : 58
Location : Perth, Western Australia

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:38 am

FIXR7 wrote:Hey Mitch,

Haven't got any info on the model but I remember a kit advertised. Ace R/C? maybe of House of Balsa?
Anyway I was certainly interested in building one too. Still am really but I've got enough stuff I haven't flown already!?Smile

same here, i might still build this model. I need to find the time, luckily i have next week off so maybe the build will start next week Very Happy
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  FIXR7 Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:42 am

FIXR7
FIXR7
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 31
Join date : 2012-04-04
Age : 58
Location : Perth, Western Australia

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 am

FIXR7 wrote:Found!...it was an Ace kit.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1503895

sweet thank you for finding that bit of info, wish there were some videos of one of these flying
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  Kim Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 am

Never built one, but would like to some day. Seems like the Aero Commander would be a good choice for it's shoulder wing layout.

As far as an engine-out situation, I've always wondered if it would be worth the trouble to rig spring-loaded trip wires (like some combat models) to allow the pilot to instantly kill the running engine, and turn the plane into a manageable glider.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 8521
Join date : 2011-09-06
Location : South East Missouri

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 am

Kim wrote:Never built one, but would like to some day. Seems like the Aero Commander would be a good choice for it's shoulder wing layout.

As far as an engine-out situation, I've always wondered if it would be worth the trouble to rig spring-loaded trip wires (like some combat models) to allow the pilot to instantly kill the running engine, and turn the plane into a manageable glider.

i was thinking rc throttles for both motors and if one decided to cut out, just pull the throttles back to idle
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  fit90 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:35 am

Just a couple months ago I read a review on a new shrike kit that looked like it would be great for a pair of .049s. I believe it was a House of Balsa kit. The review was either in Fly R/C or Model Airplane News. I think Rich Uravitch did the review and gave it a positive review. It was supposed to be pretty fast on two 300 size electric brushed can Graupner motors but other than that it was a good flyer.

Good luck with this project if you decide to take it on and don't forget to keep the peanut gallery up on it with plenty of pics.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1336
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Naples, Florida

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 am

fit90 wrote:Just a couple months ago I read a review on a new shrike kit that looked like it would be great for a pair of .049s. I believe it was a House of Balsa kit. The review was either in Fly R/C or Model Airplane News. I think Rich Uravitch did the review and gave it a positive review. It was supposed to be pretty fast on two 300 size electric brushed can Graupner motors but other than that it was a good flyer.

Good luck with this project if you decide to take it on and don't forget to keep the peanut gallery up on it with plenty of pics.

Bob

oh yeah, i saw that review in my model airplane news mag. Looks cool, i want to build but would love to have something that is already to go as i tend to start and never finish model airplane kits Sad
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:59 pm

ok i printed out the plans for the aero commander shrike and i noticed that it says to use .049/.051-.07 for power. My question is, should i order 2 AP .09 wasps from nitro planes for the power it demands because i am at over 1 mile high in altitude and gas motors loose power as they reach higher altitudes.
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  nitroairplane Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 pm

mitchg95 wrote:ok i printed out the plans for the aero commander shrike and i noticed that it says to use .049/.051-.07 for power. My question is, should i order 2 AP .09 wasps from nitro planes for the power it demands because i am at over 1 mile high in altitude and gas motors loose power as they reach higher altitudes.
I would order 2 big mig .061 RCs to power it.
Build light and you will have plenty of power with those.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6956
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : London

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:07 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:ok i printed out the plans for the aero commander shrike and i noticed that it says to use .049/.051-.07 for power. My question is, should i order 2 AP .09 wasps from nitro planes for the power it demands because i am at over 1 mile high in altitude and gas motors loose power as they reach higher altitudes.
I would order 2 big mig .061 RCs to power it.
Build light and you will have plenty of power with those.

ok, how much are they though?
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  nitroairplane Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 pm

nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6956
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : London

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 pm


ok im in, for a few minutes
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  andrew Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:36 pm

mitchg95 wrote:My question is, should i order 2 AP .09 wasps from nitro planes for the power it demands because i am at over 1 mile high in altitude and gas motors loose power as they reach higher altitudes.

Don't waste your $$$$ on the AP .09 . For throttling, the NORVEL .074 is a good choice. The NORVEL .061 Big Mig would also work well, but as Indra pointed out, they're not cheap. The Wasp weighs almost twice that of a .061 Big Mig. You may be able to pick up NORVELs on eBay, new, for less than NV Engines.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1813
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 76
Location : Western Kentucky

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  nitroairplane Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:38 pm

andrew wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:My question is, should i order 2 AP .09 wasps from nitro planes for the power it demands because i am at over 1 mile high in altitude and gas motors loose power as they reach higher altitudes.

Don't waste your $$$$ on the AP .09 . For throttling, the NORVEL .074 is a good choice. The NORVEL .061 Big Mig would also work well, but as Indra pointed out, they're not cheap. The Wasp weighs almost twice that of a .061 Big Mig. You may be able to pick up NORVELs on eBay, new, for less than NV Engines.
Well he said the weight should be about 20oz and a single norvel 074 should pull that straight up, never mind 2 Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6956
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : London

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:07 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
andrew wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:My question is, should i order 2 AP .09 wasps from nitro planes for the power it demands because i am at over 1 mile high in altitude and gas motors loose power as they reach higher altitudes.

Don't waste your $$$$ on the AP .09 . For throttling, the NORVEL .074 is a good choice. The NORVEL .061 Big Mig would also work well, but as Indra pointed out, they're not cheap. The Wasp weighs almost twice that of a .061 Big Mig. You may be able to pick up NORVELs on eBay, new, for less than NV Engines.
Well he said the weight should be about 20oz and a single norvel 074 should pull that straight up, never mind 2 Smile


um, i meant 40oz not 20oz
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  nitroairplane Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:21 pm

Oh ok then.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6956
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : London

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:22 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Oh ok then.

yeah, 50" wing span
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:56 am

I have an original Aero Shrike Commander kit NIB. If you have anu questions on the build let me know.

Also there is some info in the modeling section about it. I posted a question a while back.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 11895
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 50
Location : Tuttle, OK

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:35 am

cribbs74 wrote:I have an original Aero Shrike Commander kit NIB. If you have anu questions on the build let me know.

Also there is some info in the modeling section about it. I posted a question a while back.

sure i will let ya know if a have any questions on the build, im still in the works of trimming the plans and taping it all together
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:39 pm

what do you guys think of this engine?
http://www.nitroplanes.com/72p-ap061a.html
is this engine crummy, or will it work?
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  andrew Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:58 pm

mitchg95 wrote:what do you guys think of this engine?
http://www.nitroplanes.com/72p-ap061a.html
is this engine crummy, or will it work?

I think it's out of stock. Shocked

I don't know if it's still in production --- you'll need to check around.

It's a Chinese knock-off of the NORVEL. QC is real spotty and some are OK; some are t**ds. They do not have a very good reputation for longevity and require a complete clean-up before running. The head shim is worthless and should be replaced with a decent COX or NORVEL copper gasket.

Do a Google search on AP Wasp .061 for some reviews.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1813
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 76
Location : Western Kentucky

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:05 pm

andrew wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:what do you guys think of this engine?
http://www.nitroplanes.com/72p-ap061a.html
is this engine crummy, or will it work?

I think it's out of stock. Shocked

I don't know if it's still in production --- you'll need to check around.

It's a Chinese knock-off of the NORVEL. QC is real spotty and some are OK; some are t**ds. They do not have a very good reputation for longevity and require a complete clean-up before running. The head shim is worthless and should be replaced with a decent COX or NORVEL copper gasket.

Do a Google search on AP Wasp .061 for some reviews.

yeah, i looked for reviews on this motor after i posted the question if it will work. I dont think im gonna work with that engine, even though its half the price the quality is not as good
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  mitchg95 Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:10 pm

well, i just remembered how much i hate scratch building from planes. i think im gonna ride my bike to the lhs and get a cheap $12 guillows kit and build that. Ill try to post a build thread on that if i end up doing that
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2103
Join date : 2011-12-19
Age : 28
Location : Geneva, mn, USA

Back to top Go down

aero shrike Empty Re: aero shrike

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum