Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

What is on your bench right now?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is on your bench right now?

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 am

Kim wrote:

I know...for a fact...there's a Ringmaster in there somwhere...

Yep, just hack away everything that doesn't look like a Ringmaster.What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 Icon4

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is on your bench right now?

Post  Kim Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:15 am

PV Pilot wrote:What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 Steamengine001-1
Well, not exactly a cox engine but it is on the workbench as I just finished it up. That's a 1976 Mamod Minor 2 steamer fired by Sterno fuel, with a Wilesco dynamo lighting a up a streetlamp when it runs. Stained a piece of birch craft plywood and twisted rope trim with some minwax red mahogany and then mounted up both pieces. My grade school/high school buddy's engine. He was killed right after we graduated in 85 and the engine was given to me at the funeral. Finally got the pieces and the nerve to clean it up and make it live again..

Engine base and fire box was coated in VHT ceramic header paint, then 4 step oven cured. Brass pieces were polished with Heavy Metal polish.

Extremely cool, and a great tribute to your friend!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks Kim!, I appreciate that. I am sure Guy (my buddy) would be pleased.

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:35 am

My Dad gave me one of those steam engines a couple of Christmases when I was a kid. I never used it for anything, just watched them run. Been interested in engines of all sorts ever since.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:56 pm

whew, after 3 1/2 weeks, my pt-19 kit has arrived. unbeleivable. well, all the parts are machined niceley, except for the left wing tip, which was too wide. the wing is already assembled and i'm working on the stabilizer at the moment.
the wings and the stabs won't be glued, until they're painted, as well as the fuselage.
about steam models, i've got one of my own, it's the big wilesco d141 workshop.it features the engine-on-top-of-boiler-configuration with four working miniature power tools:
http://www.worldtoyimports.com/images/images_big/Wilesco-D141.jpg
if you look closely, you can see it stowed away in my golden bee vid Smile
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:31 pm

PV Pilot wrote:What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 Steamengine001-1
Well, not exactly a cox engine but it is on the workbench as I just finished it up. That's a 1976 Mamod Minor 2 steamer fired by Sterno fuel, with a Wilesco dynamo lighting a up a streetlamp when it runs. Stained a piece of birch craft plywood and twisted rope trim with some minwax red mahogany and then mounted up both pieces. My grade school/high school buddy's engine. He was killed right after we graduated in 85 and the engine was given to me at the funeral. Finally got the pieces and the nerve to clean it up and make it live again..

Engine base and fire box was coated in VHT ceramic header paint, then 4 step oven cured. Brass pieces were polished with Heavy Metal polish.

Wow that is an amazingly heart warming story.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks NA. I did run it here a few weekends ago and it ran just fine. Kinda cool watching it puff steam and rotate the flywheel and spin up the dynamo. Kinda forgot how interesting it was to see it run.

I have a AA powered train set for under the christmas tree and was thinking of building or buying a train station and set up the street lamp next to that, just for the kids to see that morning when they wake up.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:24 pm

PV Pilot wrote:Thanks NA. I did run it here a few weekends ago and it ran just fine. Kinda cool watching it puff steam and rotate the flywheel and spin up the dynamo. Kinda forgot how interesting it was to see it run.

I have a AA powered train set for under the christmas tree and was thinking of building or buying a train station and set up the street lamp next to that, just for the kids to see that morning when they wake up.

That would be a lovely Chrismassy touch I'm sure even if it took Whole life time they'd really appreciate it that you did that for them.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:01 pm

What's on my workbench right now? Good question, it's my "new" Tee Dee .049. No need for a picture as you've all seen one. I'd just like to say, NOW I know why all you pussies use chicken sticks! It took me a blood blister and a few minor cuts from the sharp edge of a Topflight 5.25x4 before I started thinking about it. Me, Mr "I ain't afraid of no stinking prop" finally got that little monster to turn over the first time. Uh, that ain't no Babe Bee! I had to resist diving under the table to hide. I swear I've never stood so close to anything turning that fast. Sure I've seen it on YouTube, but it ain't the same thing. You can see the prop wildly flexing back and forth as it changes speed(haven't got it properly tuned yet). But i know this; I'll never put a questionable old prop on it and say, It'll do.
The proximity of the business end to the NV will take some getting used to to. Maybe some kevlar gloves for Christmas and a new first aid kit for the flight box.

Unfortunately I'm entertaining this weekend so it'll probably be next week before I get it all figured out and running right. I will definitely mount it on my overweight Stuntman23 which as y'all know I've been trying to resuscitate since I over painted it after repairs. It flies like the Spruce Goose with a BW now. This little TD will undoubtedly wake it up like a double expresso with a teaspoon of meth in it.

On the technical side, I think I've lost the NV spring. Bob, fit90, sent me this engine carefully packed, and secured the NV etc. with tape. I'm pretty sure I must have not unfolded it all the way. How many times has that happened on Christmas morning. Huh... I can improvise in the mean time, but I have a question. Did that leaf spring also act as a washer to hold the venturi snugly. Mine keeps working loose and I'm afraid of cracking the carb body if I tighten it too much. How tightly do you guys screw yours down?

Well now I'm being called upon to entertain guests so I'll wrap it up.

To be continued...

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:06 pm

I just drill an 1/8" hole through the neck and drive in a roll pin. Friends/Meeting

Do you have any clear dope? I used to use that on the threads like thread locker. It works and breaks away when you want to take it apart. Just dab it on top of the valve body where the venturi touches and finish tightening. Then, if that doesn't work, start using it on the threads. It keeps things put and your able to flake it off or use dope thinner to do the trick. NO PLASTIC in the dope thinner!

I hope I'm remembering right or if there was any drawbacks. I'm trying to think back if the dope attacks the intake body plastic or not.

It was in the teen years when thread locker wasn't found in the garage or hobby isle.
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ideeman1994 Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 pm

On my workbench is a RC Skymaster waiting to be covered... I still need some minor things like hinges and landing gear fasteners, so I hope to finish it before the end of the year Smile
What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 Dsc02917

Something else, not really related to Cox engines (if it hasn't its place here, just tell me Wink ), is the restoration of this guy: a 1986 Citroen 2CV
What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 309635_2316850716876_1117720812_2718626_362062722_n

As you see, I've got a lot of work to do... The body is corroded at some vital points, but the frame is still good... As for the engine, it runs perfect, I even had the possibility to drive it a bit Smile
It'll maybe take me a few years, but I hope that experience will teach me a lot
ideeman1994
ideeman1994
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cox-engines/152837594815

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Nice convertible have fun restoring her!!!!
You going to keep the colours?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:08 pm

If you like 1/2a stuff, I think theres something here for everybody..I like to start a project then start another, then maybe another. I think you could almost do a "Where's Waldo" thing here, trying to spot particular items!

One of my many hobbies is collecting 'basket case' plastic RTF's and restore them.

Mark

What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 00315What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 00413What is on your bench right now? - Page 2 00512
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:49 pm

RknRusty wrote:What's on my workbench right now? Good question, it's my "new" Tee Dee .049. No need for a picture as you've all seen one. I'd just like to say, NOW I know why all you pussies use chicken sticks! It took me a blood blister and a few minor cuts from the sharp edge of a Topflight 5.25x4 before I started thinking about it. Me, Mr "I ain't afraid of no stinking prop" finally got that little monster to turn over the first time. Uh, that ain't no Babe Bee! I had to resist diving under the table to hide. I swear I've never stood so close to anything turning that fast. Sure I've seen it on YouTube, but it ain't the same thing. You can see the prop wildly flexing back and forth as it changes speed(haven't got it properly tuned yet). But i know this; I'll never put a questionable old prop on it and say, It'll do.
The proximity of the business end to the NV will take some getting used to to. Maybe some kevlar gloves for Christmas and a new first aid kit for the flight box.

Unfortunately I'm entertaining this weekend so it'll probably be next week before I get it all figured out and running right. I will definitely mount it on my overweight Stuntman23 which as y'all know I've been trying to resuscitate since I over painted it after repairs. It flies like the Spruce Goose with a BW now. This little TD will undoubtedly wake it up like a double expresso with a teaspoon of meth in it.

On the technical side, I think I've lost the NV spring. Bob, fit90, sent me this engine carefully packed, and secured the NV etc. with tape. I'm pretty sure I must have not unfolded it all the way. How many times has that happened on Christmas morning. Huh... I can improvise in the mean time, but I have a question. Did that leaf spring also act as a washer to hold the venturi snugly. Mine keeps working loose and I'm afraid of cracking the carb body if I tighten it too much. How tightly do you guys screw yours down?

To be continued...

I used to use a chicken stick, but stopped because it felt clumsy and didn't turn it over as quick as my finger. I flick it close to the center.

You can sand the edges of your prop down to make it blunt - my friend told me this because he'd seen people at events run their fingers down props and cut their fingers. Shocked
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  ideeman1994 Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:01 am

No Indra, I'm going to repaint it all in red Very Happy
ideeman1994
ideeman1994
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:53 am

ideeman1994 wrote:No Indra, I'm going to repaint it all in red Very Happy

Cool I'd like to see some pics when it's done.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ideeman1994 Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 am

Sure, I'll make a restoration post in the "Off Topic" section Smile
ideeman1994
ideeman1994
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:01 am

RknRusty wrote:What's on my workbench right now? Good question, it's my "new" Tee Dee .049. No need for a picture as you've all seen one. I'd just like to say, NOW I know why all you pussies use chicken sticks! It took me a blood blister and a few minor cuts from the sharp edge of a Topflight 5.25x4 before I started thinking about it. Me, Mr "I ain't afraid of no stinking prop" finally got that little monster to turn over the first time. Uh, that ain't no Babe Bee! I had to resist diving under the table to hide. I swear I've never stood so close to anything turning that fast. Sure I've seen it on YouTube, but it ain't the same thing. You can see the prop wildly flexing back and forth as it changes speed(haven't got it properly tuned yet). But i know this; I'll never put a questionable old prop on it and say, It'll do.

To be continued...
I only used a chicken stick once to get more leverage on a stuborn engine but honestly it makes things harder to start and easier to damage.
On YouTube the same kid who uses a full size e starter on a pee wee also uses a chicken stick and big glove when starting a .010 Wink

nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:50 am

RknRusty wrote: Uh, that ain't no Babe Bee! I had to resist diving under the table to hide. I swear I've never stood so close to anything turning that fast. ...

HaHaHaHa!,,duck and cover!!, it'"s possessed!!. Thanks Rusty, I needed that after last nights work shift.

I hand proped over my dad's cessna 170 and kinda felt the same way. It lit off and I took two big steps back and stood there ridgid and mezmorized at that fast spinning prop just inches from my body Shocked .

I have a recently aquired used TD .051 with a nice snug cylinder, cant wait to give it a whirl, with a electric starter. I noticed my needle was a bit loose. I might have to add a piece of mini fuel tubing on there to seal up better and add some resistance to the threads.

I have to many projects going at once.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:56 am

PV Pilot wrote:
RknRusty wrote: Uh, that ain't no Babe Bee! I had to resist diving under the table to hide. I swear I've never stood so close to anything turning that fast. ...

HaHaHaHa!,,duck and cover!!, it'"s possessed!!. Thanks Rusty, I needed that after last nights work shift.

I hand proped over my dad's cessna 170 and kinda felt the same way. It lit off and I took two big steps back and stood there ridgid and mezmorized at that fast spinning prop just inches from my body Shocked .

I have a recently aquired used TD .051 with a nice snug cylinder, cant wait to give it a whirl, with a electric starter. I noticed my needle was a bit loose. I might have to add a piece of mini fuel tubing on there to seal up better and add some resistance to the threads.

I have to many projects going at once.
Hitting a tight tee dee with an electric starter?
Is that a good idea as if it seizes you will probably take the crankpin off.
your going to hit a tight tee dee with an electric starter?
Is that a good idea?
I mean if it seizes you cold take off the crankpin clean.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:01 am

I always preheat those snug ones or any unknown motor.

Lets say I feel good cylinder pinch as it turns over cold in my hands. It feels like it was broken in properly.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:02 am

PV Pilot wrote:I always preheat those snug ones or any unknown motor.

Lets say I feel good cylinder pinch as it turns over cold in my hands. It feels like it was broken in properly.
OK then i just don't like to hear of damaged cox engines or else i have to set the cox mafia on people who damage there engines:)
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:16 am

nitroairplane wrote:

OK then i just don't like to hear of damaged cox engines or else i have to set the cox mafia on people who damage there engines:)

LOL!,,ok. Thank you for your concern. Only had 1 issue with a electric starter in my 36+ years of messing with this stuff, and it taught me a very valuable espensive lesson that one soon will not forget. (Bent custom titanium conn rod)
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:17 am

PV Pilot wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:

LOL!,,ok. Thank you for your concern. Only had 1 issue with a electric starter in my 36+ years of messing with this stuff, and it taught me a very valuable espensive lesson that one soon will not forget. (Bent custom titanium conn rod)

OOH you must have been rather upset Smile
Live chat?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum