Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How do you cut down props? Cox_ba12

How do you cut down props? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How do you cut down props? Empty
Live on Patrol

How do you cut down props?

Go down

How do you cut down props? Empty How do you cut down props?

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:26 am

As I venture imto the flying world I find that I am going through props rather quickly. I do have a local source for props but they are all 7x whatever and would need to be cut down.

I hear about you guys doing it but I have no idea how.

My concern is cutting improperly and also making the taper correct when done. Any light into the subject would be appreciated.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How do you cut down props? Empty Re: How do you cut down props?

Post  andrew Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:31 am

My approach (others may do it differently and better):

I use a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. I take a piece of wood, usually a 1x2 if I have it handy, and drill a hole that is a tight fit for the prop screw -- position the hole so the prop hangs partially off the end of the block. Clamp the block to a table or bench, mark one tip where you want to cut and screw the prop snugly to the block. Position your Dremel so the cutoff wheel matches the mark, hold it on the bench and turn the prop thru the wheel. Keeping the Dremel secure, continue with the other tip. This ensures that each blade is cropped an equal distance from the prop hole.

Turn the prop slowly or the blade material will melt rather than cut. Clean up the prop tips with sandpaper. Done.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:51 pm

I just compare the distance to the tips with a sharp pointed engineering compass. I scribe it where I want to cut with one point in the screw hole and draw the compass over the tip to mark it, and then cut it with scissors or fingernail clippers, round it with sand paper and double/triple check the blade length with the compass.

Andrews method is probably more precise than mine, but mine usually balance fine.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Both good ideas, I will try both and see what works best for me. Thanks Gents!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Ron, here is a more detailed post about my method I wrote last week:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t2973-yet-another-prop-balancing-thread

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Ron, I'm not sure if your familiar with the tip shape. A square cut tip just like the Cox rubber ducky is not very efficient. The reason however why the Cox prop works so well is that it has a blade area that remains constant from hub to tip. The APC's are very different as some of them really radically taper down. After I trim a APC for instance, I go back and round the tip from the leading edge of the prop to the trailing edge. Doing this makes the prop more efficient instead of just cutting and leaving the tips squared off. I don't always balance my props. In combat, the props are usually short lived aside from a Cox rubber ducky. I will balance a prop that has been trimmed down though. My findings with APC is quite positive as far as balance is concerned. I will sand but this does take a bit of time. I take a single edge razor blade and scrape the heavy blade of needed which is quite faster. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:24 am

Ken Cook wrote: Ron, I'm not sure if your familiar with the tip shape. A square cut tip just like the Cox rubber ducky is not very efficient. The reason however why the Cox prop works so well is that it has a blade area that remains constant from hub to tip. The APC's are very different as some of them really radically taper down. After I trim a APC for instance, I go back and round the tip from the leading edge of the prop to the trailing edge. Doing this makes the prop more efficient instead of just cutting and leaving the tips squared off. I don't always balance my props. In combat, the props are usually short lived aside from a Cox rubber ducky. I will balance a prop that has been trimmed down though. My findings with APC is quite positive as far as balance is concerned. I will sand but this does take a bit of time. I take a single edge razor blade and scrape the heavy blade of needed which is quite faster. Ken

Ken, I hear the term "Rubber Ducky" being thrown around, but I am not sure what that is. Are we talking about the safety tip ones? Like Bernie's yellow prop?
Or just the regular flexible Cox standard ones? I like the competition ones the most the problem is they are very brittle and like to snap on less than stellar landings.

Thanks for the good tips! No pun intended.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:27 am

cribbs74 wrote:
Ken Cook wrote: Ron, I'm not sure if your familiar with the tip shape. A square cut tip just like the Cox rubber ducky is not very efficient. The reason however why the Cox prop works so well is that it has a blade area that remains constant from hub to tip. The APC's are very different as some of them really radically taper down. After I trim a APC for instance, I go back and round the tip from the leading edge of the prop to the trailing edge. Doing this makes the prop more efficient instead of just cutting and leaving the tips squared off. I don't always balance my props. In combat, the props are usually short lived aside from a Cox rubber ducky. I will balance a prop that has been trimmed down though. My findings with APC is quite positive as far as balance is concerned. I will sand but this does take a bit of time. I take a single edge razor blade and scrape the heavy blade of needed which is quite faster. Ken

Ken, I hear the term "Rubber Ducky" being thrown around, but I am not sure what that is. Are we talking about the safety tip ones? Like Bernie's yellow prop?
Or just the regular flexible Cox standard ones? I like the competition ones the most the problem is they are very brittle and like to snap on less than stellar landings.

Thanks for the good tips! No pun intended.

Ron
The yellow reallly flexy and tough ones Bernie does sell them.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:31 am

Funny, while they are flexible I see signs of stress cracks after an impact. So they usually only last one rough landing. They are also a pain to balance.

So you are saying those are the Rubber Duckies?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 am

Ron, that term is used for the soft flexible props. I personally don't use the safety tip props. I'm sure they would work. I prefer the straight tipped black flexible props. I certainly agree with your findings as well with the grey. They do work more efficiently though. There are limitations to any prop. We use the Cox props in the 26k-30k+ range. We flex the props prior to flying and check for cracks at the hub. APC props are like the Cox grey, a landing with the prop hanging down even on soft grass results in a broken prop. I don't want to sound cheap, but I broke about 5 props one after noon and some of the APC props cost about $3.95 a piece. This would be the APC 5x3 and 4.6 x 3 size. The Cox black 5x3 works quite well on a Tee Dee and trimmed down versions work well on the Norvel's. I had positive results clipping the prop for the Tee Dee, I just found that there's a point where the prop just doesn't work effectively which was around 4 3/8". If for instance you have a model that maybe just flying too fast for your liking, this technique could certainly help. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:13 am

We have a few beginners here on the forum, so...
Somebody needs to mention that any propeller should be "clocked" on the drive hub so that it will lay in the horizontal position when the engine comes up on compression. This way when the engine quits, the air will push the prop to lie flat when gliding in for a landing. This works like a charm to avoid prop breakage upon landing.

lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:03 am

lousyflyer wrote:We have a few beginners here on the forum, so...
Somebody needs to mention that any propeller should be "clocked" on the drive hub so that it will lay in the horizontal position when the engine comes up on compression. This way when the engine quits, the air will push the prop to lie flat when gliding in for a landing. This works like a charm to avoid prop breakage upon landing.

I've done this as it's what the engine instruction sheets say to do however, I had no idea why. Now I know

Usually though I am coming in at full power when I break the props! lol!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:06 am

Yeah, you might want to work on that part. Very Happy
lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:29 am

lousyflyer wrote:Yeah, you might want to work on that part. Very Happy

I'm trying! That's why I'm breaking props.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 am

lousyflyer wrote:We have a few beginners here on the forum, so...

I tried that one when I heard about it, but the prop would bounce off compression and the blade would hang straight down. I would Put the plane in a dive to gain airspeed and push it level,,, still no dice. Now I just clock them to give me a few more milliseconds to get my finger out of the way if I am hand flipping,, which is basically the same.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:45 am

Flying off grass helps a lot.
lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:01 am

The only attention I pay to it is to place it so the piston covers the exhaust when the blade is where I hook the spring, and then it's closed when I prime it too(that ends up being pretty close to where y'all are recommending). The MA props are almost as tough as the black rubber duckies, I've never broken one. Looks like we all have different ways of treating it.

Bare at RCG claims the usually heavy sided rubber ducky hubs should be positioned to add to the inadequate(so he says) counterbalance on the Cox crank. In other words point the heavy side of the hub down when the piston is at BDC.(The heavy side is always the side that has the molding divot on it)

Rubber duckies are all of the standard black Cox props. I don't know what the yellow ones are called, except I cannot seem to balance them. Maybe it's the front holes position causing me to have that problem, as I've never tried reaming one and adding a spacer in the backside.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:13 am

We all have had our shares of what Ron has been experiencing. Breaking props under full power coming into the ground which made me chuckle a bit is something he's going to need to work on. The flexible props certainly will work better for you in that case. With the engine just coming up on the compression stroke, the prop should be level with the wing. This in turn should windmill the prop into that position when power quits. It will just rotate until it bumps into the compression stroke. This is theoretical as it may work 75% of the time. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:08 am

Ken Cook wrote: With the engine just coming up on the compression stroke, the prop should be level with the wing. This in turn should windmill the prop into that position when power quits. It will just rotate until it bumps into the compression stroke.
Ken

This is the timing that I use for all displacement engines. Like Ken said, it doesn't aways work, but it's the best positioning I've found.

COX black and MA seem to be more durable; COX gray and APC less so.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Sometimes it depends on what engine you are running. I would much rather break a prop than bend the crankshaft on one of my Space Bug, Space Bug Junior, or Thermal Hopper engines.

It was so nice when the Babe Bee came out with a prop screw that could be replaced.

Most other engines had a threaded shaft with prop nut...except OK Cubs, and perhaps one or two others I can't remember.

Of course most modern engines have a prop screw.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:53 pm

I think my MP Jet .061, still in the box, has the threaded shaft and nut. I'm interested to see how that engine runs. That'll be my next shop project.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi Ron,

Remember when you trim a larger prop down, the prop's pitch goes up as the pitch is a based on a average angle, compare the tip angle with the angle 1'' in and you'll see what I mean.

Also, a fingernail clipper works great for trimming damaged tips or reducing diameters on nylon 1/2a props.

take care,

Mark
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down