Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Twins and Twin Cox_ba12

Twins and Twin Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by 706jim Today at 10:03 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:58 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Twins and Twin Empty
Live on Patrol

Twins and Twin

Go down

Twins and Twin Empty Twins and Twin

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Today we got out to the field for a well deserved flying day. The sky looked as though it was going to consume us in rain any second but the overcast and no winds allowed for a great time. The decision was made to do some formation flying of our warbirds. I own the F-82 twin mustang sporting 60th anniversary Fox.35's while Dan is flying the Bearcat with his homebuilt Fox.35 twin. Dan is responsible for the building of both planes. I however had to rebuild, recover and repaint the F-82 5 years ago. The F-82 has some neat history behind it as it was built on Dan's bunk on the USS Forrestal. Dan at the time was a F-4 Phantom mechanic and eventually ended up as a F-14 mechanic. We figured the planes were built in 1983-1984. I ended up rebuilding the plane entirely in 2006 as it was totally wrecked. It suffered a wreck on my 3rd flight as I had the lines hooked up backwards, (you can't see the stab through the tall rudders).

Both planes suprisingly flew at similar speeds and used the identical amount of fuel. Each plane burned up 8 oz's a flight and all engines believe it or not cut simultaneously. Both planes were flown on 66' lines eyelet to eyelet. The talk was to fly level and just take it easy. This worked well for about 3 laps when they both went into the wingover together. I had to smile as my son was putting it through the paces. The inverted flight was impressive as Dan would fly the Bearcat inches and I mean inches above the ground while my son had the Mustang inverted and approx 18" off the belly of the Bearcat and this went on for 5 laps inverted. These two are some serious showmen. The had done wingovers from opposite sides crossing at the top looked as though they were going to have a head on, I don't know how they missed. The combat instincts were taking over and I had to yell out that were not here to have a combat match. I didn't want to have to take this one home in a trash bag. The picture quality isn't the best due to the overcast skies. Ken
Twins and Twin Dscn1524
Twins and Twin Dscn1525
Twins and Twin Dscn1526
Twins and Twin Dscn1527
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Twins and Twin Empty Re: Twins and Twin

Post  fit90 Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:46 pm

That's awesome! Looks like you guys had a great time with some really cool planes.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:57 pm

MAN YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Nice pics and great story. That FOX twin is pretty impressive looking.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:34 pm

That's an incredible story. Y'all are way out of my league at everything C/L. Thanks for sharing it.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Rusty, I wouldn't say that. My son and I have been fortunate enough to experience many parts of this hobby. I guess I just enjoy and love aircraft it doesn't matter what it is. I joined this forum to learn as I see many on here flying r/c etc. I know NOTHING of r/c. The club I belong to is all C/L orientated with many older members. They taught us a lot. It's quite unfortunate that none of them fly anymore. I truly enjoy what you've been doing as 1/2A is neat. It was your Flite Streak build that inspired me to pull out some of my older 1/2A Cox stuff. Most of our members really don't want anything to do with 1/2A. I'm like many on here, you want to get to the bottom of what makes these engines work. I'll admit, I have just as many troubles with the stuff sometimes as a beginner does. Every now and then though I always find it good to take out to the field the planes and engines that are working. Today was that kind of day. This however didn't start off that way when the plane was first built.

The Mustang had two brand new tanks on them. Both of them brand new were so corroded inside. The vent pipes fell out of one. Tank surgery was in order. These kind of pitfalls can pi$$ you off. You do everything correct only to have nothing but troubles. I feel that if I can add helpful tips that it certainly can help others as well. Fox.35's take some finesse to get them to run correctly. One neat thing though is that once you understand them, they become your best friend. Dan is very fortunate to have access to a small machine shop and he makes everything he practically needs. He made the crank in the conjoined twin Fox.35 and the backplates etc. Not only that, the bronze bushing in the crankcase were drilled out and new bushings were fit to them. The neat thing about the new bushings is that they're the bronze valve guides from a mutual friends V-12 Ferrari. You want to talk about putting lipstick on a pig. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Well cool, I'm glad to know I inspired you, Ken.
I'll be back to flying within days, I'm healing up pretty fast, so I want to get some good inspirational flying videos to entertain everyone with. It's been a tougher Summer than I had hoped for but at least I got my fleet in tip top shape while I was grounded.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:32 am

There's nothing wrong with a little lipstick on a pig. That pretty much describes my entire 1/2a fleet. It may not be pretty but it's still loads of still fun. And like you described, when it goes well it is like magic.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down