Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My first flying club experience! Cox_ba12

My first flying club experience! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My first flying club experience! Empty
Live on Patrol

My first flying club experience!

Go down

My first flying club experience! Empty My first flying club experience!

Post  RknRusty Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:49 pm

I visited a flying club this afternoon at Fort Jackson, near where I live. I live 5 minutes from the main gate, but it takes 20 minutes to drive across the fort to the Jackson Flying Associates field. I went out there around 2:00 and there were a couple of people including Jim, who called me this morning and invited me in response to the e-mail inquiry I sent late last night. Since the crowd was sparse, he told me to just set up in front of the RC staging area. So I set up, all the while worrying about the wind, more than I usually fly in. But I wasn't going to wuss out in front of these guys.

This was the Streak's first real flight since I fixed the elevator. When I got it in the air, it was a lot more sensitive until I got tuned in, but I did some nice loops and 8s warming up the reflexes. The wind took it overhead and behind me right in the sun a couple of times before I learned to be a little more conservative. They all thought my frantic scares were just pure skill and I didn't tell them differently. So I finished my little exhibition and managed to not embarrass myself. I think they are mostly lekkies, though I think I did hear a gasser flying once. They had big jets and war planes, and the scariest machine I have ever seen, a 6' bladespan helicopter that could do things I never knew a chopper could do. He was an expert pilot but, damn, that thing could kill you. He wasn't flying it far enough away for my taste. Another guy, who seemed a bit aloof to me, moseyed over and squinted at the Streak and grunted, Oh, a Tee Dee. A couple of others said, Nice flight, and Mr. Aloof said, hmph, I'm just impressed you got it started and it ran.

As the crowd picked up, they showed me to the CL circle, complete with a concrete pad. The trees nearby create a lee so the wind was more manageable. So I set up and got about four really good flights in. The Streak and its marvelous Tee Dee made me very happy, as usual. After my first flight I heard noise and looked over to see them standing on the bleachers looking my way and clapping and hollering. I was thinking about quitting while I was ahead, and saw a new face walking over to me. It turned out to be the member that keeps the grass mowed. He was really interested in my equipment and full of advice like I need to polish my prop with Turtle something or other, but he'd never seen a bladder, then told me what I needed to name all the parts. Told me all about how he used to be good at CL but wrecked some kind of .40 model last time he tried and gave it up. He thought maybe he'd like to give the Streak a fly and I told him I would start bringing a trainer out with me and maybe he could try that. But since he wanted to see it fly, I gave it another rip. By then, the wind had calmed and it was by far my best flight of the day, I actually did a pentuple loop. I started with a big one by just flying it through, instead of a full up screamer, and then I pulled more up on each successive loop, making them smaller every time, sort of a two dimensional spiral. Gotta get that on camera sometime. So I'm really glad I didn't quit earlier.

I had the Li'l Satan with me too, but it was too windy for the little featherweight, and besides that, I was pretty much shot by the time I finished with the Streak, so I'll have to wait till another time to re-test it.

I loaded up the car and walked over to the bleachers to thank everyone and sit and watch them fly a little and listen to the chat. I like them and they seemed happy to have something new going on. One guy told me he hadn't seen a CL flyer out there since 2000.

I'll have to join the AMA to keep flying there, but since I'll be just an occasional CL flyer they won't charge me full membership fees. I never did get a number on that, but I think if I donate 10 bucks now and then they'll be okay with it. Whatever it takes is fine with me. I had big fun, it was well worth the trip. And didn't hit a single tree.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

My first flying club experience! Empty Re: My first flying club experience!

Post  Kim Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Bravo !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:00 pm

That sounds super. It sounds like you really rose to the occasion and put on a spectacular show. We have some really good guys in our club and I really enjoy seeing them. It makes the flying even more enjoyable. I wiash you al the best of luck with this.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Nice, glad you had fun. It's always better to fly with other people.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Nice one Rusty.
It's alway great to see something new at a patch even
If it's old. I guess that's what some of the 'experts'
Had trouble getting their heads round.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 pm

After reading your post Rusty, I felt like you were representing Cox and c/l flying well.
I'm sure some some of those guys were more interested than they let on.
Thanks for sticking up for us. Hand Shake
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Good show Rusty!

Sounds like a perfect day, just think the more you go the more you will pique these guys interest! Keep that trainer ready.........:

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:39 pm

RknRusty,

Looks like you enjoyed the experience very much. You will probably encounter more "aloof" folks who were not successful at running half A engines because they had noone to ask for more information. They are probably jealous that you have mastered something they could not.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Yep, typical club, most guys are pretty cool, but always a couple idiots...did you ask Mr. Aloof what he was flying today? Likely nothing.

Sounds like you're getting this 'ukie' thing figured out, congrats! next you know it you'll be building .40 ships!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 am

I think Mr. A had a styrofoam electric fighter jet of some sort. He was mostly sitting around on the bleachers talking about battery packs the whole time I was there. That jet was still sitting in the same place when I left as it was when I got there. Looks like they have a battery charger on a utility pole out there. Most of them were pretty friendly to me though. The president says he has had a Flite Streak in his attic for years, doesn't fly it any more, and now he's wanting to give it to me. I never figured out which size it was. It would be really cool if it's a big one.

I'm glad I was able to prove I can really fly. I don't think they quite knew what to expect when I came in lugging my strange looking stooge, a spray bottle of eyewash and a couple of baby planes, put on safety glasses and earmuffs and started fueling up.

And I very well may start gradually sizing up now that I have room to fly. I have a Tee Dee .09 that I haven't cranked yet, so I could go a small step bigger with that and work my way up to .40 size. How big is a .40 CL plane, about 40" wingspan or so? One of those things that burps along and then 2 strokes when it climbs. Knowing me, I'd probably be out there 2-strokin' that sucker. I'm pretty skinny, it might take me for a walk.

Here's the field. I like how the CL field is slightly downhill from the RC field and protected by the trees. It's a lot less windy down there. Kind of a bumpy runway, I couldn't get a good rolling landing to save my life. Maybe they'll mow it better now that it's back in use. The RC field is as nice as a golf course. The mower guy's name is Happy Gilmore. Laughing
My first flying club experience! JFAfield

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:43 am

Fantastic Rusty.
I reckon pretty soon the more 'senior' members will start
Doing 2 things,-
1, giving you old cox's they've had in the attic for donkeys years.
2, bringing out their cl's to fly
Our oldest guy (90) even brought some of his rubber free
Flight models, which on a still summers Evening was
Just poetry.
As for bigger stuff, find yourself a Cox 7x3.5 for the 09 they are
Quite a match.
I encountered a guy with an F4U with a Saito 82
up front last year, his right forearm would shame Popeye.
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down