Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Surestart 049 vibration Cox_ba12

Cox Surestart 049 vibration Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by MauricioB Today at 1:53 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by layback209 Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Surestart 049 vibration Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Surestart 049 vibration

Go down

Cox Surestart 049 vibration Empty Cox Surestart 049 vibration

Post  MarisD Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi all

Did some bench testing with Cox Surestart 049 last weekend. It was securely mounted on one of those blue universal test stands bolted to a thumping great lump of fence post. Test props were balanced & accurately centred on the prop screw.

I was getting significant vibration at running speeds around 14,000 RPM and over. Really severe on some props such as the Cox black "safety" 5x3. Totally unuseable combination. I don't remember vibration being a real problem with the reed valve 049's in the past. At least within their useable running speed range.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Maris
MarisD
MarisD
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Surestart 049 vibration Empty Re: Cox Surestart 049 vibration

Post  Mudhen Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:44 pm

I have seen the same thing using the blue test stand. I think it may be a bad prop. I found the grey 5x3 prop I was using had a problem with the hub of the prop as it was not parallel front to back and would pull the spinner off center. Used a different prop and the vibration went away.

Now the blue test stand does have alot of material cut away and there may be a resonate frequency of the test stand that is within the engine operating RPM. If the RPM is centered on this frequency it will shake itself apart. The only way to test this would be to mount an engine on it and bolt it to a single axis vibration table and sweep through the frequency from 10 Hz to 20k Hz and see what shakes. I have access to a vibe table at work but things are slow and I'm not going to press my luck with an unsanctioned government job after hours......

Jason
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Surestart 049 vibration Empty vibration

Post  MarisD Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Good thoughts so far. I swapped between two bottom ends. One with Davis crankshaft & the other with regular Cox crankshaft. Both were about the same for vibration, except that the engine came good with the Davis crankshaft when running at higher speeds - 21,000RPM plus. I'd never tried that before Smile

The easiest next step will be remounting the engine in another way. I'll try that.

Maris
MarisD
MarisD
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Surestart 049 vibration Empty Cox .049 Vibration

Post  66 Malibu Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:25 am

MarisD wrote:Good thoughts so far. I swapped between two bottom ends. One with Davis crankshaft & the other with regular Cox crankshaft. Both were about the same for vibration, except that the engine came good with the Davis crankshaft when running at higher speeds - 21,000RPM plus. I'd never tried that before Smile

The easiest next step will be remounting the engine in another way. I'll try that.

Maris
A few weeks ago I mounted a junk box .049 Black Widow built from the best parts of at least 7 engines with a PT-19 prop hub and stud and rubber spinner to hold a stone stock 5X3 Rubber Ducky Safety Tip prop on a Sig Dewey Bird. For the first half of a tank of fuel it sounded like a real strong BW then it went into another octave. Didn't have a tach but ran two tanks thru it screaming... A few days later with a friend I ran it again and tached 21,000 rpms with a brand new tach, Went thru 2 more tanks of fuel with no vibrations
whatsoever with no balancing anything while still on the Dewey Bird.I had no out of balance issues at all with basically stock used BW parts.
I guess the engine just fell together unusually well or I'm just fortunate. However when I torn it down just to check everything before I ran it again, the stock BW rod was about to fall out of the piston! That would been fatal vibration I suppose......Steve
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 am

I had a tiny speck of gasket trapped on one engine between the fuel tank and the crankcase once that caused all kinds of headache. The head looked like it was wobbling 1/4-1/2 inch and it would not come up to full RPM. After a quick tear down and cleaning of surfaces I put it back together and the engine acted properly.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MarisD Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Problem solved by bolting the engine to a solid piece of hardwood clamped in a large vise. I put my Black widow tih Surestart back door through a range of test props all the way to 25,600 with the tiny Cox 4.5x2 prop. Smooth running throughout & it didn't seem at all fussed by those high RPM. I didn't know Cox reed valve 049's were capable of that!

Maris
MarisD
MarisD
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:12 pm

They aren't meant to with the smallest recommended prop, a 5x3. The splined tip of the crankshaft will break off at those RPMs. If you want to run it at high RPM with smaller props, you should probably put a Killer Bee Crankshaft in it. Same as a diesel crank. Watch out for ones that come from unknown sources as there is a batch out there machined with crooked screw holes. That'll get your vibes going. Ex Model Engines or Cox International will sell you the straight cranks.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  MarisD Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Of course those very high RPM were only to check how BHP drops off past its peak around 22-24K RPM with this engine. An APC 5x3 spun at a bit under 20K RPM, so would be about right in the air. Obviously the crankshafts that you mention have a stronger crankweb, but the splined bit up front is the same as the regular one. So should not affect the strength up front?

Maris
MarisD
MarisD
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:08 pm

MarisD wrote:Of course those very high RPM were only to check how BHP drops off past its peak around 22-24K RPM with this engine. An APC 5x3 spun at a bit under 20K RPM, so would be about right in the air. Obviously the crankshafts that you mention have a stronger crankweb, but the splined bit up front is the same as the regular one. So should not affect the strength up front?

Maris
The KB cranks being manufactured now aren't made of the same steel as the regular Bees. Bernie from Cox International has talked about it, but I can't give you the details. If you use the Google search box at the top left and search the forums for Killer Bee Crankshafts, you might find it. He's on vacation this week though. Matt from Ex Model Engines is around here every day, he should know too.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  MarisD Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Jason _WI reported the same vibration problem in the Tapered car crankshaft thread. Seems my experience was not the only one with that engine test mount. IT workes a treat with my AME 049 & probably fime with the smaller Cox engines too.

Maris
MarisD
MarisD
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down