Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Help! Before I do stupid things. Cox_ba12

Help! Before I do stupid things. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Help! Before I do stupid things. Empty
Live on Patrol

Help! Before I do stupid things.

Go down

Help! Before I do stupid things. Empty Help! Before I do stupid things.

Post  mr_cox Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:49 am

Hello Cox addicts.

Please help me before I do stupid things. I am thinking about selling (almost) my whole private Cox collection. This because I got the feeling that it almost impossible to get to the point that you can say that you own every engine cox ever made, in mint condition. This idea is discourages me more and more to stay a collector.

Beside cox and my cox website/store, I got another hobby. Cars! Now I own a house close to my work it is finally possible to buy a car which is not fuel economic. And for me there is one car I want more in my life than anything else, and that is a 2005+ Mustang V8 GT.

They are not cheap here in The Netherlands. A 2005 model with 80000 miles costs about 25000 dollar! Fuel in the Netherlands is priced about $ 8,50 a gallon, so I can’t drive it too much. But I would buy it to take it for a spin sometimes, looking to it and put it in the wax.

Eline already says I’m crazy if I will sell all my cox items for just a car. And deep inside I know I will regret it. But the idea that it would be almost impossible to collect all the engines I would like…or buy a Mustang, and being ready (no additional items required) just make me doubt.

Don’t get me wrong, I will never lose my affection to cox items and enjoy visiting this forum very much.

Thank you for reading.

Bastiaan
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://coxengines.eu

Back to top Go down

Help! Before I do stupid things. Empty Re: Help! Before I do stupid things.

Post  Kim Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:10 am

Why not store the collection, and begin an aggressive effort to get the Mustang by cutting every expense and luxury possible? I'm not familiar with taxes and how finances work in your country, but with your being single, and having a supportive girlfriend, it seems feasible that you could get the Mustang AND keep your collection (which could also provide an emergency fund for the future).

There have been many times when I was seized by the appeal of an expensive toy, and immediately went on a "TV Dinner Diet" to bankroll the purchase of a rifle or motorcycle. Movie Theaters and restaurants were all off-limits 'till I had enough cash in my "War Chest". Since I've got total control of my money, I can quickly build an account balance that lets me get the things I want.

Perhaps the temporary nature of this endeavor can help energize you finish off the payments, and leave you free and clear with your new car.

Just a thought....Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddicted Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:23 am

Hi Basti,

I would not do, so you may regret. You have a great collection and the prices for cox models/engines are getting higher in the next years, the collectors are not to old yet Very Happy

The Mustang is cool, but it is as with every strong car (like BMW M5 and so on) cars like this have a very very strong loss of value (for example in germany you can buy a pumped of mustang with 581hp compressor engine for about 25k). If you wait about two years you may get it at the half of money.

Another suggest is to import directly from u.s.. I gues due to availabillity the cars are cheaper there and I think you got easy access to rotterdam port.

Maybe somebody here can help you with shipping from us(a collegue told me shipping for a car is about 1000 EUR to Rotterdam Port).

It is just a thought.

regards Chris
coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:28 am

Thank you for your responce Kim.

Now with the new house and all the things that come with it I do not have as many money at the end of the month then when I lived at my parents house. Im still spending a lot of money for the house to get it liveable and with that reason im not sure what my budget will be when everything turns to normal. When i look at my friends who get kids and get married, none of them got time and just a little bit of money left for hobbies. And that is why i got the feeling that it is now or never to buy a car like that.

You talk about emergency funds in the future. but what would Cox items do? Will they become more and more valuable, or will nobody be interest in them. Fot most people Cox is something from their childhood and got a lot of good memories to a specific plane or sometimes an engine. Offcourse, those people will be gone in a lot of years. What would that do with the value of the items?

Maybe the .010 will be worth a lot of money when we run out of fossil fuels and all we be electric. It will remain the smallest fuel engine that is made in production.

Also I can imagine that my 80s nib mustangs (cox airplane;), not to be mistaken with car models) will become very collectable by anyone who loves aviation and toys.

How taxes work in our country? a 2012 new Mustang costs here about 90000 dollar silent ! (30 for the car, 60 for taxes Affraid or WOW! )
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:39 am

At chris:

Here in the netherlands we got something called BPM on cars. Which is calculated to newprice and pollution of the car. Needless to say, for the mustang you pay a lot of money for pollution. It is cheaper to buy a ponycar which is already imported than getting one from the USA.

As example: A new chevrolet camaro coupe will cost in france €39.000 euro (about $50.000) In the Netherlands the price is: €84000 (about $110.000). How stupid is that?

However, if the euro will be back to old values, importing will be a option.

mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:32 am

mr_cox wrote:Thank you for your responce Kim.

Now with the new house and all the things that come with it I do not have as many money at the end of the month then when I lived at my parents house. Im still spending a lot of money for the house to get it liveable and with that reason im not sure what my budget will be when everything turns to normal. When i look at my friends who get kids and get married, none of them got time and just a little bit of money left for hobbies. And that is why i got the feeling that it is now or never to buy a car like that.

You talk about emergency funds in the future. but what would Cox items do? Will they become more and more valuable, or will nobody be interest in them. Fot most people Cox is something from their childhood and got a lot of good memories to a specific plane or sometimes an engine. Offcourse, those people will be gone in a lot of years. What would that do with the value of the items?

Maybe the .010 will be worth a lot of money when we run out of fossil fuels and all we be electric. It will remain the smallest fuel engine that is made in production.

Also I can imagine that my 80s nib mustangs (cox airplane;), not to be mistaken with car models) will become very collectable by anyone who loves aviation and toys.

How taxes work in our country? a 2012 new Mustang costs here about 90000 dollar silent ! (30 for the car, 60 for taxes Affraid or WOW! )

Yeah, perhaps my use of the term future should rather have been "in the mean-time". I've always felt that collecting anything for more than just personal enjoyment is a risky business. Any investment is a gamble, but items that depend on an emotional connection seem particularly at risk.

It's a hard call no matter what...and each person has to assess it for their own situation.

Here's hoping you happiness in either course you take !!!!

Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:37 am

Kim,

The collecton is worth a lot for me, regardless of the value in money. I love watching them and tell friends about the rpm's they turn. Or surprise them with the noise they can make.

mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:49 am

I am not sure how many engines you have, you won't get as much as you paid if you sell them. I find that the feeling for new things tend to wane if I sit on it for a while. At one time I wanted a '70 Corvette really bad. Now I could care less.

I guess what I am saying is sit on it for a while and you may find that feeling just fades away.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:50 am

Can I have the Venom please?
Very Happy Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Before I do stupid things. Empty stupid thing question

Post  fredvon4 Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:02 am

Hi Basti

You are 26 I am 57....decades ago I too was a rabid Ford Mustang lover. I had a White 1967 Mustang Shelby GT 350. Later a 428 Cobra, and I would really like to briefly own one of the newer very high horse power cars.

That said: What 30 years of age and wisdom (since I was 26) has taught me ....cars are just cars. There is always a newer and better one coming. Older nostalgia cars are expensive. Eventually they wear out, get sold, get stolen, get crashed, or just sit in the garage waiting for the sunny sunday.

None of us has any idea how many Cox engines there are new in case, and how much they will cost five, ten, or thirty years from now. If I was to guess (by the insane auction prices for a simple $12 plastic airplane today) I would say there is a better than 80% chance all things Cox will only increase in value for the next twenty years.

My advice is to keep and build your collection of Cox engines, even knowing you may never achieve your "one of each" goal.

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:22 am

How 'bout this: come to the States for a week, rent/borrow that year Mustang, drive it around. You may find the luster wears off. Very Happy
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:50 am

Your not the only one who has had these thoughts as of late...
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddicted Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:57 am

What is about kids? Than you have to sell the car for a family Van and you cannot show your kids how to cl because no cox or pt19 trainer is left Huh...
coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:18 am

coxaddicted wrote:What is about kids? Than you have to sell the car for a family Van and you cannot show your kids how to cl because no cox or pt19 trainer is left Huh...
I agree fully with Coxaddicted.
Learning to fly with dad will provide great memories for kids.
Dads Mustang....not so much.
I vividly remember trying to fly control line with my dad, and
that was some 50 years ago. The car he drove had no real significance.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:34 am

I can derivive pleasure from my Cox engines 24/7/365 regardless of the weather and a prices that I can afford.

As much as I love Mustangs (I've owned and loved a bunch) they fall short of the above.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:55 am

Thank you all so much for the warm and helpful words. As for so far i will not touch my collection. I have to confess that I never ever had my whole collection displayed yet. I stored them all dry for the moment when I own a house for myself so I could made a windowed closet for all the engines.

Now i finally got this house and will live there from Christmas 2012. Maybe when all the engines, planes, cars, helicopters and parts are shown together I will forget about a mustang. I hope there is room enough. I got about 30 collectable engines, 15 airplanes (cl and rc), 2 cars and 6 helicopters. all different and nib.

@ Chris, I think it would take a while before I sell every little Cox item in this house as i have more than 100 engines, 40 planes, 7 cars and hundreds of parts.

@ John, I knew that that question will be in this topic. If I ever sell hit. It wont be cheap. And the 05rc wont ne to;)

@ahrma_581, I think I only want it more after driving it for a while !!! However come to the states is a good idea.

@cribbs74, I am interested in American cars all my live with the mustang as favourite. I think I want one myself for three years now (now it is something I could buy). And I am in love from begin this year when I drove one.

In February I drove and bought a mustang. However, my insurance would not insure it, they don’t take cars with high HP. No other insurance company would take me, because i had an accident in 2009. So I had to cancel the deal. Now it is okay to switch from company again.

Help! Before I do stupid things. Mustang1

Help! Before I do stupid things. Mustang2
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Before I do stupid things. Empty RE:Help!Before I do stupid things.

Post  66 Malibu Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Bastiaan,
You are getting some extremely good advice from the guys on the forum about your Cox hobby collection...Having been trading collectible items of all sorts and values for a very long time, I can tell you that you will almost always, with very few exceptions, be bailed out by time.
A high quality collection of anything will always have a rising demand due to the fact that no new ones will ever be produced again. The supply of NIB Cox items with only so many available on the open market will keep the prices up due to demand for quality and our Bernake and your Draghi causing ultimate inflation.
Thanks to guys like Bernie and Matt who have taken serious financial risks to bring long lost inventories to the marketplace and to perpetuate the hobby.
Rent a Mustang and knock yourself out for few months then save your collection like a bank account.
BTW,when you get married and begin having children, the mini van will be much more
comfortable and the little ones won't be throwing up on high dollar leather seats !!!

FWIW...Steve.........
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Glad you are changing you mind about selling your collection. I regret selling my Venom every time I think about it. I don't remember completely (its been like 7 years) how much but I believe I paid like $50 for it up at Hub Hobby and not too long after that I noticed they were going for $400+ on eBay. My friend who was doing Jr. Stunt Competitions saw how rare they were and how they were designed for competition and he instantly wanted it. I showed him they were going for $400 and he said sure. I thought I got one hell of a deal because I made like $350 just like that. At that time I wasn't considering myself a collector, I just liked running them. That $400 probably went to supporting my other goofy hobbies at the time like buying glass insulators and tube radios. All the insulators do is just sit there, I still have them, rarely do they get touched. I haven't bought another insulator for at least 4 years now, I will occasionally find one along railroad tracks though. The radios also just sit there but they can actually be put to use. I'll still buy an old radio if I get it cheap enough LOL. I should have sold the insulators 2 years ago when they were a hot decorating piece, now they are falling in price. The radios would probably need full cabinet restoration before they are worth anything.

Since you seem to like American cars, Thanksgiving and all that kind of stuff, save your money and get your ass over here. lol! There are 3 empty lots around my house at about $160K each, you can get a house in the tough parts of St.Paul for as low as $35K, an average house in a normal area ranges 100K-300K, suburbs range 150K-400K and land out in the sticks averages 5K an acre. Of course you could get an apartment, rent a house. Now would be the time to buy property before the market picks up again and prices go back up. The immigration costs, cost to move all your crap is another story. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down