Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!)

Post  jhaye Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Looking at the pictures I don't see a plywood bellcrank mount, or slot's for one in the ribs. Out of curiousity, how was the old bellcrank mounted, if the plywood was just glued to the ribs, it was a mistake, you need to slot it into the ribs. Your progress is looking good though Ron.

Jim Hayes
jhaye
jhaye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!)

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Jim,

Yes, it's like it's pictured. There were no slots in the ribs for the bellcrank mount. I do plan on doing that although not sure if the ribs have enough meat to cut on.

If not I will have to cut new ones.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:22 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Jim,

Yes, it's like it's pictured. There were no slots in the ribs for the bellcrank mount. I do plan on doing that although not sure if the ribs have enough meat to cut on.

If not I will have to cut new ones.

It doesn't look like "meat" is the problem. It looks like interference with the tool between adjacent ribs is the problem. No easy answer on that. Cut undersized from one side, then open it up some from each side evenly and use a gap filling cement (or epoxy) for joining.

Cutting slots on already installed ribs is no fun.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks Phil,

I suppose I could just use a blade without the handle. I'll give it a shot.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 Empty re: bare blade

Post  happydad Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:44 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Thanks Phil,

I suppose I could just use a blade without the handle. I'll give it a shot.

be very, very careful with bare blades. there's a reason they make the handle 6inches long. try drilling small holes with a dremel tool, then cutting them square with a small cutting wheel. it's a lot easier than a trip to the ER for a #11 blade thru the thumb.
RC Plane Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Hey!

Who is this guy talking sense? Lol thanks HD good idea I will use a dremel.

Today I was able to cut out doublers. Thank goodness for my little craftsman scroll saw!

I extended them further than the originals.

https://i.imgur.com/mcfrx.jpg
Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 Mcfrx

https://i.imgur.com/mO1aD.jpg
Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 MO1aD

Last edited by cribbs74 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Dremel makes a micro-saw in addition to an abrasive wheel that works on wood.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-670-Mini-Saw-Attachment/dp/B00008Z9ZP/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-409-Cut-off-Wheels-thick/dp/B00004UDGX/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1356581453&sr=1-1&keywords=dremel+cutting+wheel

I have the abrasive wheels from Dremel for my knockoff unit. I don't use them much because of the mess it makes and I build in a carpeted guest bedroom. I have had really good success with them though (outside or in the garage) Mask off the cut with blue tape then cut along the tape. I have done this with plastic more than wood (what a mess! Plastic swarf sprayed 30 feet away!) The BLUE tape is for visibility. Sharpie marker lines vanish under the swarf spray when cutting plastic.

Phil

I SO need a scroll saw!
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Phil,

I like that little saw attachment! I have a billion of those cutoff wheels so I will probably go that route. Good idea with the tape. Luckily I can make all the mess I want. Having a shop is a blessing!

https://i.imgur.com/hCaTR.jpg
Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 HCaTR

I spent years working in crowded garages and tight spaces. So first chance I got to buy a house with a shop I pounced.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 am

I got the space for one of those nice shop buildings...not the money though. Need 3 new bathrooms, kitchen, floors...at least the house isn't sinking anymore...foundation piers are expensive.

I recall the unguarded attachment that is not available anymore. I want to try this saw thing, but haven't seen it locally.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:37 am

Phil,

I feel your pain. Ihave gone down that road before. House repairs are expensive and time consuming especially if you do it all yourself. I have repairs to make with this home as well. I spent 4 years doing repairs in my old home. When I finally got it done it was time to sell.

Where in Ohio are you located? I was up there for work a few weeks ago (Dayton/Wright Patterson) Shoot me a PM if you don't want to answer here.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 am

I am north of Columbus about an hour in Marion. Happily not snowed in today. Dayton is a bit of a hike from here.
Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jhaye Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Ron, if your near a Harbour freight, they have a cheap knock off Dremel system for 10 bucks, no guts but perfect for modeling. That's what I use for a job like slotting a preexisting rib. You could glue new partial ribs inside the old one's with slot's in them, only thing is you would loose some of the bellcrank space. I would go with making slot's with the dremel. Maybe glue some balsa wood out side the ribs to support the new slots after the support is glued in place. Man, I love this kind of stuff. Make's you use your head. Still haven't gone over to Bill's to collect the fox .35. I don't want to bother him during the holiday's. I'll definitely go over after the first of the year. Hang in there brother, I'll have your power plant real soon.

Jim Hayes
jhaye
jhaye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks Jim,

Great minds think alike. I was already planning in doubling the ribs. As long as I go on the outside of each rib I won't lose any space.

I already have a Dremel brand Dremel. Bought it almost 20yrs ago. Still works just as good now as it did then.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm

One of the old Ringmaster issues that I did not see addressed is the "folding wing" thing. Between the inability to use Ambroid properly and the inferior plywood used to join the wing halves, many Ringmasters would fold their wings on a rough landing, and sometimes on a sharp maneuver.

Make sure the wing halves are joined securely.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:22 pm

No worries George,

I wrapped the splits with glass tape and epoxy.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 pm

Anybody know if the S1 rudder is cut away to accept to horizontal stab? Or is the fuse slotted for the stab and the rudder sits on the fuse/stab? My Rings tail was in pieces when I got it so it's hard to tell.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 Empty re: position of rudder

Post  happydad Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 pm

it's not the same as the Baby Ringmaster. for the BRM the fuse is slotted for the elevator assembly and the rudder parts sit on top of the fuselage. on the ringmaster the elevator assembly sits on top of the fuse and the rudder sits on top of the elevator assy. hd Small Cox Logo

Last edited by happydad on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correction 2x)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks Guys,

I have those plans Mark. They are a redraw by Pat King. The plans themselves say it's been modified from the original. All I know is that the ribs in those plans are about 1/4" too short than my original Sterling S-1. So that makes me wonder what else has been modified.

Of course Sterling only provided build instructions. Which I don't have so I was hoping some seasoned feller might remember if that is the correct way or not.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 pm

happydad wrote:

it's not the same as the Baby Ringmaster. for the BRM the fuse is slotted for the elevator assembly and the rudder parts sit on top of the fuselage. on the ringmaster the elevator assembly sits on top of the fuse and the rudder sits on top of the elevator assy. hd Small Cox Logo

I will just do it like you suggested.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:45 am

Ron, the elevator sits directly on top. One common problem of the Ringmaster. Many builders would taper the fuse to improve the blocky look of the fuse and to reduce weight. This is where the problem begins. Almost every Ring I built ends up nose heavy requiring tail weight. Solution: Don't taper the fuse as much on these builds leaving the platform for the stab the full 1/2" width. The stab should be glued using epoxy and staked either using toothpicks or BB-Q skewers through the stab into the fuse. I also put pin prick marks into the fuse on the area of glue on the mating surface of the stab. Reason being, if the Ring take a nose dive, the momentum usually results in the fly swatter affect tearing the tail right off. If the stab comes off, the elevator becomes over extended which now rips your hinges off of the stab. This becomes real problematic if your using pin hinges which in my opinion is the best to use. This is a difficult repair to fix, and it looks very unsightly when repaired. At that point redoing the pin hinge right next to the existing is typically the solution. I would also take 3/8" triangular stock and place a slight radius on the fore and aft corners glued directly underneath the stab on each side of the fuse. This will result in probably the strongest and most reliable joint for your stab. As for the rudder, I don't CA rudders on. Why?, these makes future repairs almost impossible. I use epoxy for that due to the fact it's end grain on the mating surface of the rudder. After it set, a mixture of micro balloons and epoxy preferably 30 min alongside of the rudder to the stab results in a great looking fillet which assists in the side to side flex. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks Ken,

I was already planning on using toothpicks to secure the stab. As luck would have it I did not sand the top of the fuse where the stab sits. I figured the more area there the better. Good idea on the triangular stock.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:50 pm

Just a quick update to let you see where the project is headed. Everything is painted and covered not to include the cockpit. I realized I had glued it too far forward so I cut it off and slid it back. I plan on trimming it in the traditional Red/White/Blue color scheme.

Now that I have found a place to fly it I am more eager to finish.

https://i.imgur.com/RLkpQHO.jpg

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 RLkpQHO

https://i.imgur.com/boiFXCx.jpg

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 BoiFXCx
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Almost Done! Just have some bits here and there to do. It's big! LOL

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 Zw5j1Kn

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 57qa2Lj

Ebay Ringmaster Resto (finishing pics!) - Page 2 QLnLr8S
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Nice looking plane. Good job on the wing covering too. Ultracote?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next