Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

PEE WEE help? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

PEE WEE help? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:58 pm

» Tired of it all…
by Admin Today at 8:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

PEE WEE help? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

PEE WEE help?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PEE WEE help? - Page 2 Empty Re: PEE WEE help?

Post  GermanBeez Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:55 pm

shell shock wrote:@nitroairplane:
That would explain the smaller size XP

@Cz10:
I have read that too. I just think its a cool add on

@GermanBeez
Would pinching the fuel line cause damage to the engine instead of throwing a towel on it? also, no damage can come from running the engine backwards is there?

Also, i have a .020 spring and a few other things en rout
weell, if its pushing istead of pulling, the the drive plate might scrub against the crank case. no big deal.
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:08 pm

GermanBeez wrote:
shell shock wrote:@nitroairplane:
That would explain the smaller size XP

@Cz10:
I have read that too. I just think its a cool add on

@GermanBeez
Would pinching the fuel line cause damage to the engine instead of throwing a towel on it? also, no damage can come from running the engine backwards is there?

Also, i have a .020 spring and a few other things en rout
weell, if its pushing istead of pulling, the the drive plate might scrub against the crank case. no big deal.

if the engine has been run clock wise it is best to keep it running that way or it will wear more on the other side.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:14 pm

If you are trying to stop a engine that is running without tossing a rag in it or closing the needle, just place your fingers over the backplate fuel vents and hold them there until it stops. I have been told that it could flood the engine but I have never had any issues with it before.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Admin wrote:If you are trying to stop a engine that is running without tossing a rag in it or closing the needle, just place your fingers over the backplate fuel vents and hold them there until it stops. I have been told that it could flood the engine but I have never had any issues with it before.

that wouldnt flood the engine because you create a vacuum and the fuel will not flow into the engine i have only flooded engines by restricting the airflow but event hen only when running very rich.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:43 pm

SuperDave wrote:If anyone is interested a have OEM .049 snap starter for CCW rotation. It was mistakenly purchased by a friend and then passed on to me.

Their most common application is in twin-engine planes where two engine running in the same direction creates torque problems.

I think I have one of those too.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:54 am

Admin wrote:If you are trying to stop a engine that is running without tossing a rag in it or closing the needle, just place your fingers over the backplate fuel vents and hold them there until it stops. I have been told that it could flood the engine but I have never had any issues with it before.

At one time the Cox instruction sheets said to gasp the spinner to stop the engine. At SMALL a few years ago I did just that in the pits while prepping/tuning an .010 plane prior to flight. I pretended not to hear the comments of the old pros sitting nearby discussing how stupid and dangerous this was.
Anyone else have a copy of those early instruction sheets?
Al
Big Al
Big Al
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:56 am

Big Al wrote:

At one time the Cox instruction sheets said to gasp the spinner to stop the engine. At SMALL a few years ago I did just that in the pits while prepping/tuning an .010 plane prior to flight. I pretended not to hear the comments of the old pros sitting nearby discussing how stupid and dangerous this was.
Anyone else have a copy of those early instruction sheets?
Al

I have 1965 set of .010 instruction sheets I can check them later.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:08 am

You can check my instruction sheets page http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/ . I do remember reading that somewhere. I have tried it with a black widow and with your bare fingers, it starts to hurt (especially if the spinner screw is beaten up and has metal burrs sticking out...).
I have stopped a Babe Bee with my glow head clip wires before lol! (not on purpose...)! I also whipped a chicken stick over the back porch with a TD .051 (not on purpose again) it did not stop the engine so I have no idea why i'm sharing this Rolling Eyes .
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:43 am

SuperDave wrote:If used, the engine MAY have enlarged mounting lugs to accomodate more common screw sizes. Better check and see before you buy screws. DON"T ream out the holes to a larger size than you have!

IIRC, size #52 is standard for the .020.

Totally agree with Dave on NEVER EVER enlarging the mounting holes on any of these engines. I think though that #2 socket screws from these folks will work: http://www.microfasteners.com/ .

Please be extra sure that you copy the hole pattern as precisely as possible so that you're not binding the lugs against each other as you tighten the screws.

I tried some #2 self tapping socket screws in this new .020, and they seemed to work just fine...with just enough "allowance slop". Also, after a few decades of scratching tanks and stabbing airplanes with flat screwdrivers, I discovered socket screws and balldrivers, and never looked back. I now use these things on everything I bolt down. They are WELL worth the price of converting your hardware collection. Micro Fasterners has a directory table that lets you order the proper size driver to go with the socket screws you order.

PEE WEE help? - Page 2 _020_m10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:50 am

yah, when i took the .049 to the local hobby shop, they all had fond memories and warm stories of these little beasts (and the scars to prove em).
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:36 am

Regarding "ball-head" drivers, be sure to NOT "torque" on them excessively as the head will snap of and leave with a hex head only. Sad Sad Sad

"Over-torqing" often happens when the hole for the fastener is too small causing an over-tight fit.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:46 am

I THINK I remember Cox recommending putting pressure on the spinner. It was probably back in the Space Bug, Thermal Hopper, Space Bug Junior days when the prop was held on by an Acorn nut. These were smooth and would not injure your fingers.

Those instructions were probably dropped when Cox went to the screw instead of the nut.

If you prefer the Acorn nut, Cox International sells acorn nuts that will fit the old engines, and also includes a screw that makes it work with newer engines. I got a few of those for my Space Bug Juniors.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:25 am

Kim wrote:

I tried some #2 self tapping socket screws in this new .020, and they seemed to work just fine...with just enough "allowance slop". Also, after a few decades of scratching tanks and stabbing airplanes with flat screwdrivers, I discovered socket screws and balldrivers, and never looked back. I now use these things on everything I bolt down.

Same here. I use socket head screws in every location possible and replace slotted screws on engines with equivalent socket heads. It's so much easier to put the screw on a long allen wrench and get it started in a hard to reach place. Some of the slotted screws today are so soft or the slot is so shallow that it's easy to bugger up the head.

One screw that always get replaced immediately is the prop screw on COX .049 --- screw size is 5-40. Normally I bulk buy long fully threaded screws, then cut them to length using a Dremel cutoff wheel. That way, I don't need to keep a lot of different lengths on hand.

I generally buy from McMaster-Carr, but if they don't carry what I need, I also use Microfasteners. Two other supplies of bulk screws are Fastener Express and RTL Fasteners.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 am

Those argued but I find it a lot easier to over tighten with them.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:27 pm

this is all good news. and with the angine arriving any day now, perfect time as well. i cant wait to finish my build tonight (minus electronics and engine) and then mount the engine to the body. my poor .049 might feel abit left out for a while ^_^
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Although it is just a guess, I always thought Cox switched to a prop screw to replace the threaded shaft when the Babe Bee came out because so many beginners were bending the prop shaft when crashing...especially if flying their plane over concrete. I have one Space Bug Junior with a slightly bent crankshaft. Still usable though.

If that is true, switching to a stronger screw can defeat the "save the crankshaft" idea. For experienced folks it makes sense, for those who still frequently crash, perhaps not. Your choice.

I have some of each. To avoid trouble in that area, I always make sure I have only the correct size screwdriver in my flight kit. Other screwdrivers stay with the repair stuff.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Kim wrote:
SuperDave wrote:If used, the engine MAY have enlarged mounting lugs to accomodate more common screw sizes. Better check and see before you buy screws. DON"T ream out the holes to a larger size than you have!

IIRC, size #52 is standard for the .020.

Totally agree with Dave on NEVER EVER enlarging the mounting holes on any of these engines. I think though that #2 socket screws from these folks will work: http://www.microfasteners.com/ .

Please be extra sure that you copy the hole pattern as precisely as possible so that you're not binding the lugs against each other as you tighten the screws.

I tried some #2 self tapping socket screws in this new .020, and they seemed to work just fine...with just enough "allowance slop". Also, after a few decades of scratching tanks and stabbing airplanes with flat screwdrivers, I discovered socket screws and balldrivers, and never looked back. I now use these things on everything I bolt down. They are WELL worth the price of converting your hardware collection. Micro Fasterners has a directory table that lets you order the proper size driver to go with the socket screws you order.

PEE WEE help? - Page 2 _020_m10

Oh that is what you call a socket i call that an ALLEN KEY.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:24 pm

nitroairplane wrote:[Oh that is what you call a socket i call that an ALLEN KEY.

derp, how did i not see that?
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:51 am

well guys.. the night ended on a bitter sweet note. I finally got the lil .020! woo what a beauty of an engine. Some minor scratches and stuff, but meh. Bad news is, all the seals and tubes are dead and dried up. I have ordered the Coxinternational 3.--$ rebuild kit. hope to have her running by the time im done my p 51 Babe Bee .049
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 am

Closely exmine the very TIP of a ball-driver and you'll find that it has a rounded end (unlike a conventional Allen wrench) allowing a fastener to be driven from an angle. Very useful in close places where a slipping screwdriver could cause engine and plane damage.

I have set of five ball-drivers and use them often enough to justifiy their cost.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 am

Yep, they're worth every penny!

You can swap out a engine in the field or shop in 1/10th the time, and not scratch or damage anything in the process.

If your ball driver gets pretty worn out, grab the Dremel and a thin cutting disc, cut the 'ball' off and on low speed carefully cut a new groove the same height as before!

Mark
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:57 am

hey thats pretty smart! any website where i can pick these up? or would a hobby shop carry em?

-Edit: never mind, just read your thread on em SuperDave. Thanks for the help
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum