Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... Cox_ba12

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 1:03 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 12:55 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 12:15 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 11:30 am

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:26 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 10:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 9:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 9:30 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 3:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 9:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... Empty
Live on Patrol

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but...

Go down

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... Empty Sorry to flood the board with posts, but...

Post  batjac Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 am

... questions just keep coming to me. I can't stop them, and the more I read on this site, the more questions that I have. I did a search, but couldn't find what specifically sets a Killer Bee backplate apart from the other backplates. How is it different from the others?

The Baffled Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... Empty Re: Sorry to flood the board with posts, but...

Post  Admin Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:08 am

The questions are alright, that's what the forum is for!

The Killer Bee backplate has a larger opened venturi intake and was sold without a screen. The Killer Bee .049 was sold with a black backplate and the .051 was sold with a red backplate. The only difference between the red Killer Bee backplate and the black killer bee backplate is the color. "Real" pre-Estes Killer Bees used a yellow strawed needle valve while the later Estes Killer Bees used a regular short black capped needle valve.

Here are some picture I just took of several different backplates and a Killer Bee .049 backplate.

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... 20130611
These are two product engine backplates. The gray backplate is better known as a SureStart backplate.

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... 20130617
White car engine backplate. No screen with open intake.

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... 20130612
This is a SureStart backplate with the screen and spray bar removed.

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... 20130613
This is a Killer Bee .049 backplate. Notice how there is no screen and the intake is less restricted. The black backplate in the first picture has a open intake like the Killer Bee but has a screen.

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... 20130614
SureStart backplate

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... 20130615
Product engine backplate (black with screen)

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... 20130616
Killer Bee backplate

I don't yet have every backplate style so I can't take pictures of them all, there are a few others on engine I have put away. I should have some technical info about all this somewhere around here. I'll try to dig it up. Maybe Mark or Mud will chime in with some more info.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... Empty Re: Sorry to flood the board with posts, but...

Post  Kim Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:48 am

Actually, it'd be great for some more guys to check in with more info on just what constitutes a "Killer Bee".  My flying bud Patrick has bugged me with his homemade version for a long time.  The thing has never run well enough to suit him, and he keeps coming up with all kinds of weird reasons for it's problems.

I've never dealt with Killer Bees other than with the Tach Race, and would like a bit more info, if possible, on the make-up of both the real KB's and the Estes' versions.

Thanks !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:36 am

I'll take a stab at it, but there could be errors.

Killer Bee                                                             Estes
crankcase                        gold anodized                                                          plain aluminum color           both have KB prop drive plate and  washer
crankshaft                       balanced KB crank                                                    standard crank
cylinder                          tapered bore, slotted exhaust, bottom slot larger           no tapered bore, same exhaust slots
                                    than top
piston                             tapered piston,  2.75 grams weight                             standard piston  3.15 grams
back plate                       KB back plate, no screen                                           same
needle valve                    yellow plastic extension                                             black cap on NV
head                               high comp. head                                                      same

If NIB look for 1996 stamped in the cardboard sleeve, it should be there. I have never held a real KB that did not have the yellow NV extension but I think some have black capped needle.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:09 am

I would like to know what preferences you folks have concerning hole placement in the spraybar. Directly downstream, 15 degrees off, etc. I can see arguments for different positions, but the proof is in the pudding (or performance).
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:46 am

This KB now on eBay has some abnormalities, red backplate is for .051 and the needle valve. I would need to see the date stamp and crank before raising the bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Cox-Killer-Bee-049-cu-in-Model-Engine-NIB-/390613859757?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item5af2667dad

This one is all wrong and I doubt its from 1996.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1996-COX-049-KILLER-BEE-/271224257659?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item3f2639bc7b
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah, it should be said that I wouldn't go by the backpate color anymore when determining a Killer Bee as a .049 or .051. With Matt and Bernie selling the red backplate assemblies, people could just easily swap the backplates. Same goes for the yellow strawed needle. If you are looking for a "real" Killer Bee, be sure there is a date in the box, and it has an original lightened crankshaft. For a .051, be sure there is a groove on the skirt of the piston.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:21 am

Sorry to flood the board with posts, but... COX K B 051 PISTON
.051 Killer Bees have two grooves in the piston skirt.
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:48 am

How about the needle valve / spray bar assembly? I thought the threads were the finer version, but any interior differences in the spray bar bore it's self?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Kim wrote:How about the needle valve / spray bar assembly?  I thought the threads were the finer version, but any interior differences in the spray bar bore it's self?
Standard spray bar. Too bad it's not a fine thread.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum