Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The to many airplane project blues! Cox_ba12

The to many airplane project blues! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The to many airplane project blues! Empty
Live on Patrol

The to many airplane project blues!

Go down

The to many airplane project blues! Empty The to many airplane project blues!

Post  duke.johnson Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Who is having this problem? I have several airplanes started and can't seem to finish anything.  I've posted pictures of some and others like the new Bob Hunt 'Holeshot' I just started Tuesday.  I'm a little ashamed of the projects that I've posted pictures on and still have not finished, like the No-Cal P-51, my new P-51 carrier plane for NW Sport 40 carrier, and that little 1/2A flapped job.  All planes I'd like to finish but I always need to run to the hobby shop of something, then I find another one to start while I'm waiting. Anyone else have this problem right now?

Last edited by duke.johnson on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

The to many airplane project blues! Empty Re: The to many airplane project blues!

Post  WingingIt74 Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:57 pm

I have 1 ARF to finish building, another plane to fix, a BOT to get in the air, another ARF to start, 3 kits, a jeep to fix and two mini bikes to fix up. Besides that, I want to build a coraplast CL plane to learn how to fly CL.

Nope.... Duke, I think your the ONLY one...
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

The to many airplane project blues! Empty Re: The to many airplane project blues!

Post  Kim Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:33 am

Yeah...know the feeling. I got projects started three decades ago. Thing is, when I have tried to force myself to work on these things, my already questionable workmanship REALLY takes time off, and I wonder who the heck has been in my shop, messing with my gear.

Figure that I'll have to set it up so that, when I croak, Stewardess Susie distributes my projects across the forum! Now THAT would keep my memory alive...if nothing else through aggravation !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:34 am

WingingIt74 wrote:I have 1 ARF to finish building, another plane to fix, a BOT to get in the air, another ARF to start, 3 kits, a jeep to fix and two mini bikes to fix up. Besides that, I want to build a coraplast CL plane to learn how to fly CL.

Nope.... Duke, I think your the ONLY one...

lol! lol!

Go to Stunthanger and search the ET-1 Trainer, You can add that to my list to complete before the air fair at the end of July. I told everyone I would build one to give free lessons to the kids or whoever else. I'm going build one electric first for ease of operation for the kids and then a Cox pusher for the Castor Oil Odyssey.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:18 pm

I HAD my Bootstraps (payload freeflight or 1 ch escapment) converted to 3 channel electric.  I didn't convert the nose wheel to steerable.  Now I have Bootstraps on the project list with a snapped spar (repaired) multiple broken glue joints in the fuse (repaired) needing re-covered (wing is, fuse isn't) converted it back to a removable horizontal stab (easier, but also needs re-covered)  THEN I need to build a new motor mount for the electric motor, (took the brunt of the post it crashed into taxiing, slight tailwind and it accelerated into the post without any throttle) I have the new nose wheel to convert it to steerable needing set up.

So it is going to be converted to 3 channel electric again.  

I also have a Hobby King Decathlon RX ready in the box, just arrived.  

Tower 40 is now half-SPAD and waiting for re-maiden.  Might need control adjustments prior, but it is balanced and ready to go otherwise.  I am just waiting for my neighbor to join me because I want it to have at least 1 successful flight.

Then there are several CL airplanes... Super Ringmaster (painted, ready for engine finally) a couple flying wings, need to put flaps and engine on another that is getting a Tee Dee, probably on bladder...

Naw, ain't nobody has unfinished projects.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:03 am

I hate posting pictures of projects anymore, they just never seem to get done. I need to take the pictures and post them after I'm done.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:38 am

I am good at finishing projects. The trick is to pick one, start on it and do a little each and every night. Even if it's only a couple minutes. Never start another if one is underway.

If I wreck a plane it gets top priority then back to the build. I only have one unfinished project. It's the one I am working on.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:25 am

duke.johnson wrote:I hate posting pictures of projects anymore, they just never seem to get done.  I need to take the pictures and post them after I'm done.
I decided that years back. For me it's boats, but I currently have 7 unfinished projects, one of which is more than 16yrs in the making - and still counting!
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:09 am

Model boats or real boats?
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:20 am

Model boats. Airboats now-a-days. That's why the interest in a Cox forum. I like small ones, and Cox do the best small engines. I'm only into r/c though. I'll eventually finish a project and post some pix. I got rid of my last water prop boat some time ago.
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 pm

duke.johnson wrote:I hate posting pictures of projects anymore, they just never seem to get done.  I need to take the pictures and post them after I'm done.

Duke,

Posting pictures on the forum just gives me the right amount of pressure to continue building and to get on with it.

My building table is located in my house at the corridor upstairs. As I am my own boss, I have my office at my home. When I'm writing reports and I'm stuck with something, I just glue or cut some parts to change the ideas.

Regularity, as Ron says, is the key word. It'll bring you to the finished model, never mind how slow or how fast you build. At the same time, I dream about future projects: as a lot of specific parts are only easily available in the US, I order parts in advance.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGoodwreck Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:25 pm

If that is all it takes to give you the blues,

Thank goodness you dont have my building room....

With all of the unfinished Airplanes, and Ham Radio projects....

You just might hang yourself lol! 
MrGoodwreck
MrGoodwreck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:38 pm

dinsdale wrote:Model boats.  Airboats now-a-days.  That's why the interest in a Cox forum.  I like small ones, and Cox do the best small engines.  I'm only into r/c though.  I'll eventually finish a project and post some pix.  I got rid of my last water prop boat some time ago.

We have been looking at r/c airboats, there's a pond at the r/c field. The guys there only run electric, I thought it would be fun to run the cox engines on them. Do you have plans for an airboat or did you buy a kit?

I think I'll go to the craft store and look for some plywood, they were out at the hobby store. Picked up some covering though, I'd like to cover and finish the 'Holeshot' for Friday's fun fly.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:59 pm

Ok, had a little build time today before we took the dogs swimming. I'll post on the other thread.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:05 am

duke.johnson wrote:
dinsdale wrote:Model boats.  Airboats now-a-days.  That's why the interest in a Cox forum.  I like small ones, and Cox do the best small engines.  I'm only into r/c though.  I'll eventually finish a project and post some pix.  I got rid of my last water prop boat some time ago.

We have been looking at r/c airboats, there's a pond at the r/c field.  The guys there only run electric, I thought it would be fun to run the cox engines on them.   Do you have plans for an airboat or did you buy a kit?

I think I'll go to the craft store and look for some plywood, they were out at the hobby store.  Picked up some covering though, I'd like to cover and finish the 'Holeshot' for Friday's fun fly.

There's a wealth of airboat info over here ...
http://www.rcairboats.net/phpBB/index.php
... but be aware that they all use far, FAR too heavy construction.  Airboats don't need to be any more robust than aircraft, though really light ones take a lot of fine tuning to keep on the water.  There are guys approaching 100mph with some of the more serious models.

I have the plans for one these ...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE388&P=ML
... and am building a modified version of it.  The Big Swamp Buggy is a tunnel hull, the likes of which are quite prone to flipping in corners, so I'm building a similar boat with a flat bottom.  I could NOT recommend buying Dumas kits AT ALL.  The quality of the wood is utterly abysmal (kindling at best), the die cutting is really die crushing, they're far too heavy and they're thoroughly over priced for what you get.

I also have 1 each of these 3 ...
http://www.pacificbalsa.com.au/gallery/Boat%2BKit/challenger/58880?view=list&order=default
http://www.pacificbalsa.com.au/gallery/Boat%2BKit/challenger/58880?view=list&order=default
http://www.pacificbalsa.com.au/gallery/Boat%2BKit/sabre-boat-kit/53462?view=list&order=default
... which I picked up complete, in box for $10 (the lot) from a garage sale.  These things are actually kids toys which I'm in the process of modifying to become Cox powered airboats.  They're each tunnel hulls, which they will remain, but I'm making the centre section a bit wider and a bit deeper out of 1/16" ply to accommodate  the batteries, Rx, servos and the engine tower.  These will absolutely fly with an .049 reedie.  I'm expecting around about 80+ KPH.  Real problems keeping these on the water.  You really do need to go R/C for boats.

Finally, I have 3 different scratch build models which I've designed myself.  On one I'm putting 2 x .10 OS, another will have a .21 ASP and one a .46 OS.  The BSB will have a .46 Leo.

So, there you have it.  Seven models, all in various stages of construction.  Years ago I had made a few airboats as well as water propped boats.
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Finished the Wing Master! One down, many to go.

The to many airplane project blues! Wing_m12
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:29 pm

duke.johnson wrote:Finished the Wing Master! One down, many to go.

The to many airplane project blues! Wing_m12

That looks really good!

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down