Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

game plan... Cox_ba12

game plan... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 5:42 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 5:35 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:20 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:13 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

game plan... Empty
Live on Patrol

game plan...

Go down

Help! game plan...

Post  chubbyellowcat Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:24 pm

I've been to the airfield a couple times and think I know what I want...but I still have really no experience except what I did when I was a kid..i can fly, but that's about it..i want to learn to stunt ! I haven't got a plane yet, but I want to fly an ASP 32...from what I hear that's the size to learn on..but what prop should I use..and what plane should I build or buy ? and what thickness of line should I use, and what line connectors, and where do I find all this stuff ? fuel ? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated, dave
chubbyellowcat
chubbyellowcat
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: game plan...

Post  sdjjadk Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:24 pm

chubbyellowcat wrote:I've been to the airfield a couple times and think I know what I want...but I still have really no experience except what I did when I was a kid..i can fly, but that's about it..i want to learn to stunt !  I haven't got a plane yet, but I want to fly an ASP 32...from what I hear that's the size to learn on..but what prop should I use..and what plane should I build or buy ? and what thickness of line should I use, and what line connectors, and where do I find all this stuff ? fuel ? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated, dave
I'm not real familiar with that engine but a .32 should be happy with a 9x6 up to a 10x6 for stunt / training. As far as good plane goes, you can't go wrong with a Top Flite Flight Streak. The Sig Twister is also a great flying plane and has flaps for more precise maneuvers. If your not a builder, you can get the Flight Streak in arf form. Although the fuse is made with a hollow structure and you'll want to replace the stock fuel tank with a clunk style tank, it's still a good stunt trainer. Or you can find a suitable arf from Brodak. As far as the lines go, I like the Sullivan Tuf Strand lines. It comes in a 60ft roll which is perfect for that size of plane and it doesn't kink like steel lines. Here is a link for the lines, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFU22&P=SM
And a link for the Flight Streak, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDVF3&P=7 If you want to build from a kit, check out the Sig Twister here, http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGCL22.html
And Brodaks site, http://brodak.com/ Both Brodak and Tower carry all the accessories you'll need as well.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Hello Dave, I may be able to assist you in some of your questions. The ASP .32 is a Magnum .32. The question at hand here is what version do you own. They change like the weather. I own and fly several of the round head XL Magnum .32's. The square head .32 also shares some components of the Evolution .36 due to them all being made in the same factory. In fact today,  my flying partner was flying the .32 case with the .36 piston liner. They all use the same case and the .36 gives you more displacement and makes it considerably lighter due to less liner material.

As for props, these engines don't care for 6 pitch props at least not for control line useage. 6 pitch props will ultimately overheat and load the engine which will just cause the engine to runaway. This engine doesn't like to be run with the stock muffler. Finding a tongue muffler is a big plus . This engine also to my knowedge wasn't available in a control line version. Props that I would use would be no greater than a 5 pitch for stunt. A APC 10.5 x 4.5 prop would be my first choice, the Thunder Tiger 11 x 4.5 would be my second choice. If these props are unobtainable than I would use the standard sport props that APC offers like a 9x5-10x5. As for fuel, these engines don't like a lot of castor fuel as this will just varnish them up and impede the run. I run Powermaster GMA 5/22 or 10/22.Powermaster fuel of this blend is a castor /synthetic Klotz blend.  These engines can tone down on oil contents as low as 17%.

The next problem is determining a venturi size for the engine. You could wire the r/c carb open, I just never tried it and I have no knowledge on how that would work. I do know the Enya .30 SS venturi fits the Magnum xl engine cases. I use this engine for combat and stunt. I have a adjustable venturi on my combat versions and my prop choices are as small as 8x4 on my combat wings. I've been running this engine exclusively now for 4 years and I have 4 of them. The main issue is the crappy bearings that come with the engine. They will work, but they're short lived and I upgraded to a better quality bearing from BOCA bearings.

This engine is heavy, it's over 10 oz's and over 11 ounces with the stock muffler.   Many of the profiles that are produced like the mentioned Twister were designed around engine that use a bushed crankshaft like  a Fox .35 which weighs 7 oz's or a modern OS LA series engine which are not real heavy either.  Not a big deal due to the Twister having ample wing area to accomodate the added tail weight. Shortening the nose and alleviating the 3 oz's tail weight would help immensely.

As for line connectors and lines, this is based on the weight of the model. For a Twister, assuming it's entirely built from a kit, I would say that .015' stainless would be adequate. If you were looking for a bit more of insurance, .018's wouldn't hurt. The main thing is using a proper sized handle. I wouldn't use a handle with anything over a 4" line spacing.  I've used the .35 size Luxon slide clips but I don't care for them as these can straighten and I've had them do that when jerked.I prefer this style clip which would be the 110# test for the size your inquiring about http://brodak.com/control-line-parts/snap-connectors.html  Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Help! thanks !!

Post  chubbyellowcat Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:30 pm

that's great information from both of you ! Thank you so very much ! i'm slowly starting to pick some of the basics up..i flew for about four minutes on a trainer before putting it in the ground this morning..i think I got a little dizzy..but i'll have fun fixing it !!
chubbyellowcat
chubbyellowcat
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down