Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again Cox_ba12

Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again Empty
Live on Patrol

Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again

Go down

Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again Empty Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again

Post  fredvon4 Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Jeffery Rein and a few others up in Pacific Northwest are asking Henry Nelson to make a new batch of his .36 combat engine

The group is taking pre orders and need to get 50 engines spoken for (23 are currently reserved)

This is a very powerful 8.5 oz combat engine that most of the pilots at the Bladder Grabber event use. There are some who are very competitive with FORA 36s

I asked Jeffery if I could post this and he said yes please spread the word
They are relatively expensive engines, we are estimating in the $350 +/- range

If you are interested please contact Jeffery Rein at

jeffrey_a_rein@yahoo.com

Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again Nelson10
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again Empty Re: Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again

Post  RknRusty Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Man, Fred you da man with connections. That was you that spent some time with Jeff Dawson last year too, if I recall. I hope you finally get outfitted like you want. I watched a Nelson 40something in a carrier plane fly last weekend. Fast loud and scary.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again Empty Re: Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again

Post  fredvon4 Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Rusty...If the freaking weather would cooperate I could get some more experience and stop this damned figure 9 habit

BTW I hate to say I am sending you this 20F degree crap tomorrow

I had Jeff Dawson kit up ( he normally sells pre made) several 1/2a high performance birds and three of his version of a fast combat planes that I modified extensively to train with...a lot of added weight but I can do a wing over directly into the dirt and only have to clean the engine and replace a prop (Kevlar cord, carbon TOW, and .02 oz fiberglass in critical areas)

hijacking my own thread

I had given up on finding any Nelson 36 or knock off FORA 36 (light weight and turn serious RPM) so with a lot of help acquired 5 Fox MK VIs and a few spare parts..... If a guy builds light enough these can compete with the Nelsons and FORAs but seriously lack any impact or mid air suitability

Certainly skill is needed but for a combat match to be worth the effort, both planes need to be close in speed..... I think Ken would agree that a match with Nelson and efficient plane and competent pilot vs a novice with under-powered plane is hard on both contestants

I left off CL flying over thirty years ago...most all these guys have been fun and competition flying for at least that long. There is no way for me to be competent in the short one year since I got the combat bug (especially when I have to teach myself and fly by myself)

For many of you who jumped from 1/2a cox to real (I know I am intending to be obtuse) C/L airplanes with Fox 35s on the nose...you might get interested in Graffiti combat as a fun diversion, extend your building skills, use some of your period proper engines and come home with your aircraft intact (gentleman rules)

Any way look it up

two or more in the circle can be a lot of fun and it certainly gets more folks interested in CL than just watching old men do the same pattern for 6 hours a day...not knocking stunt but after the first three contestants it gets a tad boring as a spectator...combat is great to watch all day long as it includes all the things we watch NASCAR for....crashes!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 pm

The Nelson .36 is one amazing engine as well as the Fora .36. You cram in 4 1/2 oz's of fuel in the bladder and by the time you get to the handle 2.5-3 oz's is already gone. My son Shawn and I had a combat match flying against Henry last year. He's a wonderful person to talk to and a very nice person. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:26 pm

It's a beauty of an engine Fred! I wish the entry fee wasn't so steep. I think the most I have spent on an engine to date is $100.

I guess if your serious/competitive or both it's totally worth it.

I do hope you get your 50!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks guys

Yes Ron the two I reserved will cost over $700 plus I need some spare parts....Wife not happy with me as she sees me cleaning dirt out of my inexpensive (relatively speaking) training engines
Hell I am too chicken right now to put one of the MK VIs on the nose. That will only happen when I get able to successfully burn a full load of fuel and land consistantly

We are up to 30 N36Cs spoken for. If I read my finger in the air correctly, getting to 40 is doable
BUT...the last 10 needed will be a challenge...especially at the price of these monsters

NOT that many combat fliers left and most of the "do it every year" guys already have a few of these engines or the FORA knock offs

Some will end up in collections I am sure

Most CL clubs that still support combat adopted speed limit rules and eventually stopped the unlimited FAST events. Bladder grabber has fewer and fewer entries every year. Last year there were only 13 for high performance 1/2a and FAST combat.... I am told in the late 80s to mid 90s it was normal to have 30~45 show up and require several circles to run non stop all day long for three days
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:17 pm

Have you hit up all the other forums yet?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:23 pm

The word is out except on the MACA site where I don't seem to be bale to get permission to post for the last 6 months....  Huh...
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:28 pm

I ran a (Dub) Jett Q500 engine when I was racing, it would run with most Nelsons, but a strong Nelson would out turn it 1000 rpm or better. Those were scary engines, turning about the same RPM as a Tee Dee, but with a 9" prop!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Henry Nelson N36C engines may be available again Empty Over 50 reserved so ...

Post  fredvon4 Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:16 am

Henry Nelson will produce a new batch of 2014 N36Cs...yea!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 11, 2023 6:42 am

Old post but what the hay >> One of these engine just sold for an amazing price of $ 3,225.00 NOS darn Fred want to make a dime LOL > https://www.ebay.com/itm/364243199251? Like I had said before one of the Nelson engine builder co. is up the road from me Aero Engines , https://www.aeroracingengines.com/Q500LS.html Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Thu May 11, 2023 8:04 am

I was watching that one. I'm not sure what made it so special?
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Thu May 11, 2023 1:20 pm

i've been buying stuff from Curtis (the seller) for decades. way back to the old KAPA Newsletter days.
(Kits and Plans Antiquitous)

we are 'friends' on FaceBook

he even said "i had no idea. it was 2 guys who both really wanted it"

man, I try to sell my cox motors on eBay? and i get, $12.43 - if I am lucky.
which is why I dont list em anymore
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu May 11, 2023 2:36 pm

$3k for an engine? Obviously purchased by someone who has money to burn. Burning Cash

(Not saying anything wrong with that, just wrong for me in my situation. Doh! ) Laughing

My speed is Bernie's new Cox.049 Tee Dee Small Cox Logo Very Happy I Love This Forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 11, 2023 3:20 pm

Last guy that bid had no history. Runner up only nitro engines. That's a couple of vintage RX-7's for me.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu May 11, 2023 4:09 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Last guy that bid had no history.  Runner up only nitro engines.  That's a couple of vintage RX-7's for me.  
I bought a couple engines from this seller before. Can't recall whether buy now or bid, probably some of both. Those were engines of value to me, needed some cleanup work or parts, but very few else wanted, since I won them with very little bidding.

It is possible that someone was playing a game, driving costs up but then having won, don't pay. Shocked I've seen some of these get re-posted for new bids, although I think that he can offer the engine to the second highest bidder if the first reneges. Of course my saying this is hypothetical in this case. Who knows, may be the winning bid will pay up. Perhaps a business owner now multimillionaire, who wants to reminisce about past circle victories? Huh...

That represents a year's worth of auto or house insurance. Money Toss
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Thu May 11, 2023 7:23 pm

he said its been paid for and shipped. and even he is shocked

I am 100% with Bob - thats at LEAST 1 RX7 project Very Happy
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu May 11, 2023 10:10 pm

cstatman wrote:he said its been paid for and shipped.   and even he is shocked. I am 100% with Bob -   thats at LEAST 1 RX7 project  Very Happy
Or, a good down on a decent used touring motorcycle. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri May 12, 2023 3:46 am

I own a few Nelson 36's. Biggest problem is that there are no cases available. Crack it or break it and it's game over. Henry is a bit difficult to get a hold of nowadays. I have one currently in need of a new piston liner. He will do the rebuild which costs about $275. This includes all moving parts. The EBAY listing is another example of complete foolishness. Obviously, a individual not connected to the hobby who has no direct ties to the sport itself. Henry made a few engines which were magnesium case versions. I believe these were about 1 1/2 ounces lighter than the standard. They do command a little more money. Certainly not the money seen in this auction.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down