Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

prop diameter vs pitch Cox_ba12

prop diameter vs pitch Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by layback209 Today at 11:48 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

prop diameter vs pitch Empty
Live on Patrol

prop diameter vs pitch

Go down

prop diameter vs pitch Empty prop diameter vs pitch

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 pm

I am trying to select props for the reed speed plane. I am thinking something along a 4 pitch maybe 5.5 diameter.

I have pitches all the way up to 7, but the diameter goes down to 4" at that pitch.

I am wondering if the prop diameter is small and the pitch is high will it be better than a lower pitch that is larger in diameter?

This speed stuff is confusing. I usually get by with a 2-3 pitch on my stunt planes.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

prop diameter vs pitch Empty Re: prop diameter vs pitch

Post  JPvelo Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 pm

You want a small diameter high pitch for speed. The APC 4.75x4 is great. I was playing with some 4 3/4- 5 1/4 pitch props and they really bogged the engine down. I do have some 4 1/4 and 4 1/2 single blade props I'm going to experiment with though...
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks Jim,

I think I know what I want to do now.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:48 am

I view the pitch/diamter question much like I do selecting gear ratios on a multi-speed bicycle.

Much depends on the "terrain" to be traversed. "Straight and level" is one thing and lots of "ups and downs" another.

So the "objective" helps determine the selection.

In the immortral words of Igoramus, "RPM isn't everything."  Devil 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:28 am

Ron --
I doubt you'll be able to effectively run a 5.5x4 on any of the reedie models --- they just don't have the ponies to turn this load.

Obviously, for a given RPM, to increase speed, you need to increase pitch, but to maintain the RPM, you need the power to sustain it -- and therein lies the problem.

Another way to hold your RPM up is to reduce the diameter (lower the load), but smaller diameter props also come with shortcomings. First, as the plane speed increases, the smaller props cannot move the volume of air needed to overcome the increased parasitic drag --- it's like hitting a wall, so to speak. The second difficulty with small diameter, high pitch, high RPM props moving at a slow speed is blade stall --- until the plane gains enough speed to come onto the prop, it can wallow around as if the engine wasn't turning up sufficiently. Once the plane speed increases, blade stall is reduced and it flies much faster, until parasitic drag becomes great enough to block any further improvement in speed.

Static RPM on the ground can give you a ballpark idea about performance, but you really can't get good engine/prop performance without flying several diameter/pitch combinations and trying multiple vendors. Sometimes I'll take a prop and start cutting it down an 1/8" at a time until it starts to fall off. Then, for that plane/engine/prop, I've got a pretty good idea of what works best.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

prop diameter vs pitch Empty Prop Dia vs. Pitch

Post  Paulgibeault Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Ron,

Many good replies here especially by Andrew. So...for our purpose (straight line speed), experience has shown me that a minimum pitch of 4" will be required.
The exact diameter is in question but 5" is the absolute maximum & my experience has shown 4.75" is much better. I have seen a 4.5"D X 4"P prop work OK, so even diameters of 4.5" can work under certain circumstances. It is almost non-existent than fine pitch props swung at higher RPM are better. They may well be better for combat or stunt...but not speed. An APC (make sure it's centered) 4.75D X 4P is a good place to start. Trimming the blade 1/32" at a time can yield some improvement until you go too far... The APC 4.5D X 4P is also another interesting looking prop which allows more rpm since it's a lighter load.
Many years ago, Rev-UP used to make funny 4"D X5,6,7,8" P props. Some people got them to work in the Open monoline 1/2A TeeDee speed class. However, the conditions of skinny line, very high nitro, & teeny tiny models allowed them to work...sometimes. Those kind of props fell out of favour many years ago.
There is one condition where larger diameter props will work. That is if you're contemplating using a single blade prop. These can work very well, but really ought not to be considered for sport events. Too much work & trouble for anything but specialty flying. Good luck with your efforts Ron. OH...BTW, for what it's worth, the very best of competitors rarely know how a prop will perform without having to do a test flight (or three). Some things just can't be figured out in the shop...

Cheers, Paul

Cribbs74 wrote:I am trying to select props for the reed speed plane. Ron
Paulgibeault
Paulgibeault
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi Paul, thanks for posting!

Years ago I heard or read a easy rule of thumb: "Pitch for speed, diameter for RPM." and if you think about it, it make sense.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Many years ago several modeling magazines would write about engine tests with a variety of "then" available propellers so you could graphically see (from bench test) a table where peak RPM and Torque interacted with various diameters and pitches ...this was not a recipe for the best prop of a particular engine but gave a very good starting point

Knowing any particular engines Peak Torque for a given prop pitch and diameter is critical to help select a series of propellers

Of course the problem gets exponentially worse when you factor several different propeller designs

Blade shape, width, swept area, hub diameter, over all weight, tip weight, pitch at each station, flex, rigidity, and several factors of dynamic forces like laminar flow; Gortler Number; harmonic and dynamic balance and many factors I don't remember are all important

HOWEVER... Thanks to the internet all of us can ask what works best with XXX plane and XXX engine for XXX performance and usually the majority opinion will be very close and rational thus preventing trying to acquire a bunch of obscure propellers

I love the 21st century but do miss the simplicity of 1966....

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies! I was hoping Paul would chime in although I value everyones opinion.

I think I know where I need to start now. I hope my plane survives the first landing so I can test as necessary.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down