Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field Cox_ba12

Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field Empty
Live on Patrol

Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field

Go down

Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field Empty Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field

Post  Ken Cook Sun May 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Today was the nicest day we've had since this winter in regards to flying. Aside from the swarms of gnats today, wind was so so but the comradery amongst the guys today was high. Reading utilizes 3 circles, (1) 1/2A circle and (2) stunt circles for 60' +. When we attend Reading, noise isn't an issue as were at the highest point within 50 miles so the louder the better. The main problem initially is getting your engines tuned in to the elevation. Once dialed in, your good for the day. My club member Dan was out with his pulse jet stunter known as "Stuntus Loudus" with Wile E. Coyote in the cockpit. Attendance from our club was a bit light today so my son and I were quickly handed the chore of pitcrew for this beast. I was the launcher and battery box operator while my son Shawn was the air pumper. After some internal metering orifice changes, we had the jet running on a tear. Today was good due to the cooler air and the speeds were quite impressive. Gasoline, methanol and propylene oxide was the diet of this fire breather. Here's a clip of the jet we flew earlier today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daJSzj-2lO8 ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field Empty Re: Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field

Post  crankbndr Sun May 18, 2014 7:49 pm

Got a kick out of that, got a love the coyote! Thanks for sharing.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field Empty Re: Stuntus Loudus at Reading, PA Flying Dutchmen field

Post  getback Sun May 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Ken , man that was very cool! talking about not missing a lick or letting up  Flying was it me or did it get faster and faster as it was going through the maneuvers Thumbs Up  Thanks, Getback  bounce 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun May 18, 2014 8:25 pm

That's about as good of a pulse jet run as I've watched. Dan can really bust out some wild laps. I also watched the home made twin inline Fox flight. That's a great video, and the big platter plane too. Lots of laughing going on in the background. Thanks for posting.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Ken,

Thanks for posting that video. What diameter lines are used? And how much fuel does it hold? That run was just over 3.5 minutes.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon May 19, 2014 4:09 am

TO answer a few questions, Dyna Jet engines can be a bit fickle. While there's only one physical moving part inside of it it can shut off at any moment. This is usually due to disruption of fuel delivery. The jet stunter concept was done in the early sixties. Dan decided that he was going to recreate this although there was many missing details from the 3 pages within American Modeler. In those 3.5 minutes, the jet burns a total of 19 oz's. The winds were up when we were flying this and Dan will play the plane into the wind to get some more speed. This certainly could've been responsible for the added speed in the maneuvers. One important factor however is that towards the end of the run, you just took all that fuel load out of the nose. That's a ton of nose weight that's disappearing at a ferocious rate. The lines he's using are .021's. I never personally flew this jet. My son has and he was telling many there about the line tension.

I don't think my shoulder could take that even for the short duration so I will just stay at the sideline and help or watch. I had my 1/2A speed stuff out yesterday which worked flawlessly and NO VIDEO. Any other time I'm fiddling for an hour, but yesterday it went off without even a needle change, go figure. I was hoping we could've had some video. I also ran the .40 size rat racers. The summer looks promising so let's hope we can get some good video. I love watching it and enjoy participating in it. The fellow who took the video yesterday was a control line returnee. He took some time off to race cars but were all glad to have him back. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 19, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks for posting Ken. The jet is fantastic! I was also very impressed with the videography! That guy tracked the airplane extremely well, albeit I threw-up my coffee after watching!!  Laughing Too bad you didn't get vid of your 1/2A speed flight. It always seems that the best flights happen when nobody's watching, you're alone.. or nobody shoots a vid.

I saw Dave Cook at the N.E.S.T. Control Line Memorial Fly-In at the Wrentham, MA field on Saturday. Dave's 84 years old and still really sharp! I brought my Speed model with me to show him, and he commented that he has "recent" plans drawn up for a .60 size stunt ship of the same airplane! I think he said they were published in "Stunt News".. and when I asked again where I could find them.. he said he'd email the PDF plan-set to me! Dave doesn't fly anymore, but said that he enjoys using his flight simulator at home. It was great to see him after 20 some odd years!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon May 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Another plus of the day was seeing the saucer fly. While for now it's just a roundy round, it shows some potential for stunts. My friend Dennis built this saucer which is a 1950's Paul Delgatto design. Dennis is quite the builder and in this past year he has built close to 40 planes which were all .35 size and up. A monumental task I must add. He builds many of the prototypes for the cottage industry laser cutters. Seeing that we weren't so sure how this was going to fly, we took it easy especially seeing that were over asphalt. I personally don't let that bother me, but I've completely shattered engines and that does bother me. We had a original kit saucer which we just threw some Monokote on and went out to fly prior to building this one. It was pretty horrific as the plane launched skyward and then flew clear across the circle jerking the lines only to do it again across the circle. Good thing for a positive bellcrank mount. THis one though with leadout changes flew pretty steady. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh1nNKgyMbY  Ken

Last edited by Ken Cook on Mon May 19, 2014 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Cool Ken,

What engine does that thing have on it? It really hauls the mail when it leans out.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon May 19, 2014 7:55 pm

The engine was a Enya .35. ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down