Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer Cox_ba12

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer Empty
Live on Patrol

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer

Go down

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer Empty Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer

Post  Davenz13 Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:26 pm

While passing time surfing the net (never seems to be anything worth watching on TV) I found this engine on the Cyclon website. Available in three different sizes. Have a look at the specs.

049Top3 and 049Top4 – 0,8 cc 0,45 BHP
051Top3 and 051Top4 – 0,83 cc 0,52 BHP
061Top3 and 061Top4 – 1,0 cc 0,65 BHP

RPM MAX 46000
RPM max power 43000
RPM max torque 36000
Weight 69 g
Rear ballbearing 9 x 17 mm
Front ballbearing 4 x 11 mm
Turbohead Cyclon

I don't know what the highest rpm model aeroplane engine is but this would have to be a contender surely

Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer Empty Re: Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:44 pm

I own several of them (combat angled rear exhaust) from .049-061 and I truly enjoy them. Problem is that they're currently unobtainable . Andrew hasn't been producing them and the last versions he offered were close to $350 each when you factored in shipping. The rpm figures on the site in my opinion are seriously inflated. I see 34K-36K on launch  using the best props available on 25% nitro. While I can raise the nitro and see higher rpm's, there just isn't any reason to do so and risk breaking parts. Parts are not available and when they do become available they're incredibly expensive. The last piston sleeves I purchased with rods cost $90. I fly them only for contest use now and if I stuff one in the dirt, I don't try for a restart and take a loss. Here's my latest plane I just built for my son 2 months ago https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=658021487601322&set=pcb.658021857601285&type=1&theater

There are some good competition engines available but they're all mostly from the Ukraine which takes some time to get. Profi has provided me with some great runs and lighter than the Cyclon turning 35K. The new Fora's are doing much better than they've been in the past. The Picco P-zero is quite a screamer especially when they were only $35 a piece. Unfortunately, the engine required some pretty extensive modifications done by Doug Galbreath which cost $150. All in all though the Picco apparently is a great little engine and of course no longer currently available. It likes to puke out it's crankshaft on a regular basis. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:20 pm

I wondered about the claimed rpm figures but still mid thirties is still impressive. I don't know how current the price list was but prices for some of the parts were quite scary. When I was a lad and starting to try and make things go faster my dad used to say " if you want to go broke go racing" and "the faster you make it go the quicker it wears out". I have found that maxim to be true many times  lol!.  Another tongue in cheek saying bandied about in the racing scene is if it blows up before you finish you overtuned it, if it blows up after you cross the line you undertuned it. If it blows up on the line in first place you got it just right. Huh... 
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Davenz13 wrote:...Another tongue in cheek saying bandied about in the racing scene is if it blows up before you finish you overtuned it, if it blows up after you cross the line you undertuned it. If it blows up on the line in first place you got it just right. Huh... 
That's a good one, Dave, right on the mark.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer Empty RE:Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer

Post  rat9000 Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Davenz13 wrote:When I was a lad and starting to try and make things go faster my dad used to say " if you want to go broke go racing" and "the faster you make it go the quicker it wears out". I have found that maxim to be true many times  lol!.  Another tongue in cheek saying bandied about in the racing scene is if it blows up before you finish you overtuned it, if it blows up after you cross the line you undertuned it. If it blows up on the line in first place you got it just right. Huh... 
Dave that's the best one I've heard,we just scattered our 502 ford for the second time,first time at the line-brought it up on the chip,7200,dropped a valve,resleeved a cylinder,sent our John Kassup-P-51 head to George Montgomery in Kentucky,he saved it,we decided to open it up with a bigger cam,the second time,going though the traps,around 6400,it spit a rod taking part of the block with it.Our next one is going to be a 521 C.I.-some kids never learn.rat

Last edited by RknRusty on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed quote)
rat9000
rat9000
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I own several of them (combat angled rear exhaust) from .049-061 and I truly enjoy them. Problem is that they're currently unobtainable . Andrew hasn't been producing them and the last versions he offered were close to $350 each when you factored in shipping. The rpm figures on the site in my opinion are seriously inflated. I see 34K-36K on launch  using the best props available on 25% nitro. While I can raise the nitro and see higher rpm's, there just isn't any reason to do so and risk breaking parts. Parts are not available and when they do become available they're incredibly expensive. The last piston sleeves I purchased with rods cost $90. I fly them only for contest use now and if I stuff one in the dirt, I don't try for a restart and take a loss. Here's my latest plane I just built for my son 2 months ago https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=658021487601322&set=pcb.658021857601285&type=1&theater

There are some good competition engines available but they're all mostly from the Ukraine which takes some time to get. Profi has provided me with some great runs and lighter than the Cyclon turning 35K. The new Fora's are doing much better than they've been in the past. The Picco P-zero is quite a screamer especially when they were only $35 a piece. Unfortunately, the engine required some pretty extensive modifications done by Doug Galbreath which cost $150. All in all though the Picco apparently is a great little engine and of course no longer currently available. It likes to puke out it's crankshaft on a regular basis. Ken

Ken, I would think that when an engine turning 35K RPM pukes its crankshaft someone could get hurt. I went on Doug Gailbreaths website and he is still selling this engine for $221.50 shipped. He claims the crank breaking is related to flooded engines. Do you have any experience with this engine? Also, you can buy a profi rambler on Ebay for about $185, however, I have read that the quality is sketchy. I believe there was quite a bit written about quality issues with the cyclones too. Apparently Doug G, discovered issues with quality control on the engines he improved. Anyway, I stay away from the Cyclons and Profis because I wouldn't want to pay top dollar and find out it has problems. I am not a machinist, and would be highly disappointed if I had to put a new engine on a lathe to fix it. Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:49 pm

The Cyclon is of extreme quality as well is the Profi. I never have broken a shaft in a Cyclon or Profi. My son runs these exclusively in 1/2A combat. The Fora will interchange with the Cyclon as most of the parts are identical. The Fora is not made by the same designer as the Cyclon. I hand start all of my engines and I don't use a starter. This is what will break a rod. George Cleveland owner of the defunct GRS models combat supplies used to import the Fora in a black case with his GRS logo casted onto it. These break the cranks. The cranks were necked down from the shaft to the prop threads and ultimately would fail. The Profi engines on Ebay are for speed use and have no benefit to me due to the rear exhaust. I don't need to melt my wing . I wish they made the same style exhaust like the Cyclon and Fora's. In the past the Fora was considered 2nd rate but the rpm's and quality of these pretty much have the Cyclon matched. These engines make as much power as a modern .15 Schneurle .

Last time I checked Doug didn't have any Cyclons and they've been very difficult to obtain. Parts are not obtainable without knowing someone in this hobby. The last run of them were costing modelers here in the states $275 + shipping. Alexander Kalmykov who produces the engines used to offer a deal on 10 or more. That no longer stands and I believe the cost is now over the $300 mark. Fora's are at 1/2 the cost. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Hobbyclub sells the Fora ($189) and the older Profi ($219). There website is here:

http://www.hobbyclub.com/index.php?cPath=44_115

I have never purchased anything from them, but I have been in email contact. The guy responds to email. Thanks for the information. It is always good to hear from someone with first hand experience. Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer Empty RE:Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer

Post  Davenz13 Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I own several of them (combat angled rear exhaust) from .049-061 and I truly enjoy them. Problem is that they're currently unobtainable . Andrew hasn't been producing them and the last versions he offered were close to $350 each when you factored in shipping. The rpm figures on the site in my opinion are seriously inflated. I see 34K-36K on launch  using the best props available on 25% nitro. While I can raise the nitro and see higher rpm's, there just isn't any reason to do so and risk breaking parts. Parts are not available and when they do become available they're incredibly expensive. The last piston sleeves I purchased with rods cost $90. I fly them only for contest use now and if I stuff one in the dirt, I don't try for a restart and take a loss. Here's my latest plane I just built for my son 2 months ago https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=658021487601322&set=pcb.658021857601285&type=1&theater

I recently purchased a Picco P-Zero, a couple of suitable props and two spare nelson plugs of Doug. It's a real nice job he makes of them. I hope to give it a run when I get a chance although that never seems to pan out. The older I get the busier I seem to get. Huh...
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:29 pm

This past Sunday I was able to get out for some speed flying. We had a unusual engine make an appearance which is the Cyclon .40. My son flew the plane while I was a part of the pit crew. This took some rather interesting techniques to get this going. Engine is on bladder with a glass prop. The timed speed we had was 140 mph. We could've seen more speed out of it but the head clamp ring was loose and we didn't have the proper pin spanner wrench to tighten it. This engine was really an amazing piece of craftmanship. Here's a few pics. Ken

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer P82a0210
Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer P82a0211
Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer P82a0212
Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer P82a0213
Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer P82a0214
Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer P82a0215
Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer P82a0216
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:55 pm

That's pretty scary looking. Lots of cooling fins on it. You guys really have an eclectic collection of ways to have fun with control line. I was disappointed that they wouldn't let Dan fly his jets last year. I hope to see some of your buddies in a few weeks, I only know of one so far who's coming.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Rusty, Dan flew the jet this weekend. I have to say he's really worked out metering jets. I never seen it fly so fast. Shawn and I were the pit crew. I was on the ignition box and Shawn was on the air pump. Really a cool day. I tried my hand at my 1/2A speed plane and once again I can't get a decent run due to tank design. So, I have the tank for it now. This should certainly cure all problems. I have to get it installed. If this one doesn't work, it's bladder from here on out. As far as Huntersville, I'm trying to get there myself. I'm pretty sure I can make it for Fri and Sat. This however means leaving on Thurs night driving down and driving back Sun morning. I feel it's doable. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:26 am

That is a very nice looking motor. I notice that it has additional mounting lugs at the front of the crankcase - are these ever used or just ignored?

The speed plane also looks neat but how is the engine cooled? I can imagine that cooling slots might slow the plane down and those fins are quite large but there must be a limit to how long it can run while enclosed.

It looks as if it is a very light engine with the small body and thin cooling fins.

This is a range of engines that I have never seen close up or owned.

No Cyclons and only one For a. The Fora I have is a very basic diesel.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6890-fora-15-diesel?highlight=Fora
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:53 am

Can add this to the screamer list.
Benched to .37hp new old stock / quick run loud!
Claimed 47k / .52hp is possible.

Rare mint 1991 Shuriken .05 rpm check

First Gen Engine # 118 / 1991 Shuriken .05
..VY 4.49 x 3.15 glass combat prop
Per 2017 prop calc: 32,380 rpm / .37hp
30oz thrust / 272w / 97 mph pitch speed

Needle valve around 3.5 turns out, very thirsty.
Engine is new with only 3 tanks of fuel.
15cc tank shown / 20% castor / 35% fresh nitro.
Brief run as the noise was outrageous! Won
this one on ebay $669.46 shipped. This is the only
YouTube vid of a running vintage Shuriken to date
that I know of.
Small Cox Logo  4th of July Flag  Fireworks  Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:49 am

Brad, the engine was designed to run on nitro percentages above 70%. I own 3 Shurikens and one is a runner. It suffered a hard hit in combat and really damaged the case. It's hard to believe that happened but it bent the case slightly between the front and rear bearing pinching the shaft slightly. Fred Baldwin the designer was supposed to get me a case. It must be in a really hard spot to find because it's been close to 15 years now. I noticed on your engine the spanner ring that holds the head button on is not anodized black like most of them were. Did you remove this? Do you also have all of the venturi's? The engine came with 3. The claimed 47K was with a single bladed prop and it was run in the UK on 70% nitro. Are you using a GLO Bee plug or something different?
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:06 am

Hey Ken,
Here is what I received as shown less the pipe.
Came with two spare Glo Bee plugs
1 venturi / top plug retainer was left bare metal.
The first gen .061 had a flaw the retainer would warp
the bored out .05 sleeve of the .061 the Glo Bee plug
would hang over the top deck of the sleeve too.

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Shuriken%20050%20&%20061.html

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer 20210610

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer 20210611

Cyclon 1/2A what a screamer 20210612

Small Cox Logo  United States
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content