Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever Cox_ba12

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever Empty
Live on Patrol

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever

Go down

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever Empty My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever

Post  Kim Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:24 am

My long-time friend, Al Painton, is one of the best-kept secrets in Southeast Missouri, and he likes it that way.  Other than an occasional photo and note sent to Flying Models or a couple of Electric Power Magazines, he keeps his formidable creativity, and the resulting Mini-Air Force mostly to himself and his circle of admirers.  

He spent the 1950's, and a good chunk of the 60's, flying in the Coast Guard, before returning to his hometown, which was named for his grandfather.  He's built a bunch of full-scale experimental planes, and assisted in untold others.  I bought my Pietenpol from him in 1985.

He and his brothers, when not working for the railroads, farming, or some other endeavor, have run a glider school from the old duster strip on the edge of town, allowed instructors to use it with their students, and a few dozen other activities I'd need him to list.

Like most of "The Old School", he's also always been an active model builder, and when he turned his attentions to Electric R/C more than 20 years ago...a BUNCH of new magic took over the Painton Strip.  Electric power really allowed Al the chance to turn loose his imagination with no worries about fuel proofing (allowing his prodigious use of matte railroad paints), or the number of engines used by the full-scale planes he wanted to model.  The Painton Airstrip suddenly witnessed Lancasters, Stirlings, Wellingtons, early-version Stukas, Cant's, and some I didn't have a clue about, but was SURE had existed in large form at some time in history.

He draws his own plans...on big sheets of paper, spread across one of his waist-high work tables.  Some REALLY obscure aircraft come to life here...often from some vague three-view he'd find in an old magazine.  I always joked that he wasn't happy unless he could model some prototype, of which only one was built, but he does make the occasional foray into areas where I have some hope of recognizing a creation or two.

I'm currently tracking down my collection of photos and VHS tapes in an attempt to document at least a bit of his airforce, along with the ones I have yet to capture.

This is his C-123 Provider...just finished...and which I was supposed to test-fly last night.  Al sprung this on me as I arrived (running late as usual) with my Lazy Bee and B.O.T., thinking I was gonna video his planes as he flew.  I truly dislike flying other guys' gear, but this was an honor, and so, I tried to suppress the butterflies that quickly took over my stomach.  This is one big horse by my standards, and it ain't no sailplane, wing-to-weight-wise either.

The initial attempt proved that plane didn't have nearly enough elevator throw to rotate on takeoff, so I shut down the big dog and let it roll into the grass past the pavement.  Al's radio was fighting him, and we were losing our light, so we decided to retire and allow him to make some physical adjustments inside the plane for another run later in the week.

Al preps his monster...with his homebuilt Rans S-7 peeking from behind the hangar in the background...

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_120

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 2_68

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 3_51

Some other of his creations...I'll be adding more as I get them scanned:

Al and his Brewster Buffalo

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_411

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_511

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_611

Yeah...Spitfires could have skis

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_314

Ain't got a clue...but I'm sure it's correct!

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_213

Last edited by Kim on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever Empty Re: My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever

Post  andrew Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:27 am

Great stuff!!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever Empty Re: My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever

Post  getback Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Damnit Man Al has got it going on Nice air ships , That first one blew me away after i had read your post , That would be scary to fly even it were mine .... I can understand your butterfly's , Must really be a treat to know Al. Thanks for sharing Kim , Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Aero Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:14 pm

Kim
Been quite a few years since we went out to experimental aircraft HQ of southeast MO! I am glad to see Al is still flying.
The plane that stood out for me was the Blohm Voss.
Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 am

Aero wrote:Kim
Been quite a few years since we went out to experimental aircraft HQ of southeast MO! I am glad to see Al is still flying.
The plane that stood out for me was the Blohm Voss.

Yeah, that's one of them that I intend to photograph.  Unfortunately, several have gone to the "Big Hangar in the Sky", but he's been churning out plenty more.  

I want to take each one outside for individual photos on a table AND take notes on what they are.  May try it today...should have gone yesterday, but had some stuff going on.

Here he is with his He-111, a 1930's Vickers "Vildebeest ", his fantastic Lancaster, and a Rusky Tupolev ANT-25:

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_1110

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_713

Model airplane or not, that's STILL a mighty threatening planform...

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File_410

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File710

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File810

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File410

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_1010

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File10

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File1110

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File110

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File510

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File1710

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File1410

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File1610

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File1010

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File910

And yes, even the Masters have the occasional landing gear problem...

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever File1510
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Had a beautiful evening of flying down at Painton International Aerodrome, with my 3-Meter B.O.T. chasing and being chased by some of Al's electric airplanes.

Didn't get a lot of good footage, but did have several video captures that came out nice.  Al started with a Japanese Biplane, then some type of French Parasol , but he finally switched to a Pilatus Porter in hopes of keeping up with the un-throttled sailplane.

The Porter was the fastest, but the B.O.T. still blew by it once it got it's nose down and the Medallion .15's steam up!

We managed not to smack any of them together so it WAS a great evening, and there are a bunch of well-fed mosquitoes down there somewhere, getting a good night's snooze after feasting on us!

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 13_18

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 11_19

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 3_52

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 4_48

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 6_34

The Porter cuts in on the B.O.T., then runs for it before the big bird can turn on him!

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 8_26

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 9_24

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 10_23

Last edited by Kim on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:35 pm

The Russian Tupolev ANT-25 is a nice one, I love sleek planes with high aspect wings(would that be called high profile?). Doesn't look like vintage 1933 either.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:51 pm

RknRusty wrote:The Russian Tupolev ANT-25 is a nice one, I love sleek planes with high aspect wings(would that be called high profile?). Doesn't look like vintage 1933 either.

Hey Rusty !

Kinda hate to post this, but in the 15 years since the above photos were taken, the Ant has evolved into something a little less "Historically Correct"!!!

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 15_19

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 16_20
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:11 pm

Kim wrote:
Hey Rusty !

Kinda hate to post this, but in the 15 years since the above photos were taken, the Ant has evolved into something a little less "Historically Correct"!!!
Good lord, that took care of the sleekness. But it was an experimental aircraft afterall. In its original form, it sort of looks like the Musciano Bullet I mentioned in another thread.
My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 9k=
Well maybe not as much as I thought. The Tupolev's wings are even longer.
This is a 23"span 1/2A for an .049(or smaller)-.09. I need to learn how to hollow a log out for this model
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever Empty Al's Stukas

Post  Kim Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 am

After getting a case of "Stuka Fever" from Mark's post, I made a run down to my buddy Al's hangar to see if I could get some good photos of his two electric-powered versions.

His "A" model Stuka was hanging in the rafters, but we managed to get it down without damage.  His "D" model was being prepped for a set of skis, with it's spats removed.  These are plans-built from a source he couldn't remember, and while basically identical, the "A" model had a rather evil tip stall tendency.  He's 'got some ideas' for adjustments, at some point in the future.

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_112

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_16

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_310

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_510

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_210

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_410

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_610

His Farman F-223 Bomber is almost finished, and will fly shortly:

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_17

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 8_10

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 10_10

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 3_12

Any time the weather is near-reasonable, there's usually some action going on.  He had his Vickers 'Vildebeest' out making circuits:

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 2_15

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 3_13

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 4_14

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 1_18
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:46 pm

Eye candy for us aeromodelers. Al is a National treasure. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed each photograph and the narrative.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:10 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Eye candy for us aeromodelers.  Al is a National treasure.  Thanks for posting, I enjoyed each photograph and the narrative.

Bob

Thanks Bob.
Al and my Uncle Wayne are my hopeful pattern for my own aging. Both guys continue to "have irons in the fire"...planning new stuff to do. Sadly, my Uncle Wayne has a Parkinson's-like nerve disorder and building models is a tremendous challenge for him. He still gets a model done once in a while, but it's like one of us building a plane while wearing welding gloves.
Good dudes for sure !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:10 am

Well then, I'm in good company with your uncle. We know the difficulties involved with soldering a single joint, joining two pieces of balsa, lifting a spoon to our mouths, even tapping on a confounded keyboard. But we struggle on undeterred sympathy not required.

My mother's hands shook from her mid eighties until she passed away at 104. I just started a little earlier.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:38 am

Very sorry to hear that. Wayne has (to my memory) always had a pretty pronounced tremor, though it never stopped him from playing in his band, building models, and pursuing a good life. Perhaps one good application of the Stricker DNA's stubbornness.

While it's gotten much worse of the years, he simply deals with it, and can STILL crank out a pretty good tune with his guitars and harmonicas.

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 3_113

At my favorite restaurant, the excellent waitresses there fawn over him, and knowing his difficulty in even drinking coffee, include the straw he has to use, and open coffee creamer tubs in the manner of treating him as a celebrity. Needless to say, we go there every time he comes to Missouri!

The current Love-of-His-Life though, is his Great-Grand-Daughter, little Sophia, who he gets to see on a pretty regular basis.

My Buddy Al and His Fantastic Electrics...Stuka Fever 27_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down