Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

What's up with Dan Sitter?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's up with Dan Sitter?

Post  Oldenginerod on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 pm

Some of you probably know of Dan Sitter. I only know of him through his ebay store, but I can't keep track of what goes. Originally he traded as "California-dan" and at that time I bought a couple of items from him, with good results. The store then stopped selling but I eventually found a store called "Sadieengines" which had all the same ads and items with the same type photos, so I assumed that he'd changed the name or sold all his stuff to someone who was now selling them. He denied it was his store when I questioned him. Then came seller "California-dream" which, once again had all the same stuff.
I enquired the other day about an item he had listed as USA shipping only whether he would ship to Australia. This is the response.

"Greetings:
I am sorry, but eBay will not allow me to ship outside of USA.
Best regards,
California-dream"

Has anyone heard of ebay not allowing sellers to sell overseas? He has some good stuff and he's shipped to Australia before, so I really don't know what's going on. Pervious questions have gone unanswered and those which are seem a little vague. Huh...

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's up with Dan Sitter?

Post  pkrankow on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:28 pm

Sellers choose to not ship overseas. It is a pain..sorta. Customs forms and other, rather trivial, BS

Oh wait, I have shipped overseas a number of times. Customs forms are simple, really.

Now, some buyers demand the item listed as "gift" for $0 value. This is technically fraud, and I will not participate and list so in my ebay ads. (I declare the actual sale value and state that I will do so.)

Oversea shipping is an added pain that some sellers are not willing to go through, most likely due to lack of education on the matter.

Phil

pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:22 am

What about the "will not allow me" line? Is he under some sort of ebay discipline?
I understand that people can choose to sell or not to sell overseas, but that's not what he's stating. Most people are reasonable, but others just seem to make every excuse they can think of. Others state they don't charge a handling fee, but their shipping price is hugely inflated. They're too dumb to realize that I can get on the USPS website and figure out the real cost myself. I may be an Aussie, but I can figure that much out.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:24 pm

I am sure it is his choice, not ebay. If he won't, then deal with other people who will. I hope he doesn't have the market cornered on a certain selection of things.

Phil
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tru168 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:45 am

I purchased a couple of engines last year, and he did ship to Malaysia. He also told me that someone hacked and used his username a couple of times and his ebay account had been suspended for a while.
tru168
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:What about the "will not allow me" line?  Is he under some sort of ebay discipline?
I understand that people can choose to sell or not to sell overseas, but that's not what he's stating.  Most people are reasonable, but others just seem to make every excuse they can think of.  Others state they don't charge a handling fee, but their shipping price is hugely inflated.  They're too dumb to realize that I can get on the USPS website and figure out the real cost myself.  I may be an Aussie, but I can figure that much out.

Rod.

I respect the guy for his COX engines handbook...and respect him less for not even bothering to answer me thru ebay when I wanted to buy 010 parts from him some time ago..must be a morose, hermit type of a man...
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:40 pm

Depending on correspondence through Ebay is really dodgey. About the only time it really works for me is when I am actually in a deal.

Ebay blocks you at every turn from trying to list or use real email. I wouldn't judge people based on Ebay correspondence.
GWILLIEFOX
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:24 am

Fleabay is a dodgy medium for communication and all emails are filtered. I have purchased quite a few things from Dan (including some very hard to get non- Cox engine spares) and they have always made it to the UK.

I don't blame sellers for being over cautious. Feedback has become one sided in favour of the buyer and overseas postage is now extortionate.

I have modest lol! collection of engines and only 10% of these were through Ebay. If I find a good seller, I usually establish contact outside of Ebay and introduce them to the "Engine Collectors Club" .

Ebay is not the medium it was and I cannot judge people through it any longer and don't do it.

ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:07 am

You may be right in saying ebay in general is not the right communication platform.

My issue with Dan Sitter was very simple though at the end of which I kinda felt myself guilty because I am not a US buyer...it was some 2 years ago and unlike many ebay sellers who by default restrict shipping to the US, but are responding if questioned whether they will to revise their shipping policy, Dan did not even bother answering. I do not think it was any technicality of ebay messaging that kept him non-responsive.
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:30 am

I've sold many items on eBay, this is what I have to do for international shipping.
My PO is always very busy and they don't leave the customs form where I can just grab one so i have to wait in a long line just to get the form.
Fill out the form and get back in line again, when I get service they always act like they never seen anything like this before, take like ten minutes
of them punching the computer to get the job done. Even the cheapest international shipping is costly. Just not worth it to me.
 Dan most likely got hosed by eBay on his international sales, a lot of sellers just flat won't ship to Italy because of getting burned by eBay.
 On a side note, The dollar has been strengthening the last few months approx. 25% against the Euro and Canadian dollar. Should make things more costly to export and
much cheaper to import.
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:07 pm

As the OP, I'm a little regretful that this has gone on as it has. I was lookng for some answers but didn't intend it to be a Dan-bashing session. Everyone has their reasons for behaving in certain ways. No, I don't believe that this is an ebay-created communication problem. Messages get through and some people simply choose to ignore them. That's their prerogative, regardless of how rude it seems. Some people choose to not fully tell the truth. If the seller is not permitted to ship one particular unrestricted item overseas by ebay, they why would other items from the same seller be listed for overseas shipping? That is the case here. The blame has been shifted to ebay, which I don't accept. All I ask is that people be honest and polite. It's simply good business practice and the right thing to do.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:31 pm

No hard feelings on Dan..I got my parts he sold through another eBayer who resold them to me without Dan being aware..This latter seller obviously managed to export what Dan did/could? not.
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:35 pm

crankbndr wrote:Dan most likely got hosed by eBay on his international sales, a lot of sellers just flat won't ship to Italy because of getting burned by eBay.
Not saying this applies to Dan. I've been burned a couple times by less than honest E-Bay sellers. If I don't get a favorable response or I see for example, a used muffler without showing all details like the muffler opening side of the engine, I won't bid on the item. If I see a listing that seems to reflect less than the truth, I won't bid. If I find a number of negative feedback responses indicating dishonesty, I won't bid. Sometimes I see apparently unfair feedback posted, in that case I don't consider those.

Personally except for extremely rare items, I find that if I am patient, another seller will have the item I am looking for in the condition I expected and at a price I will accept.

GallopingGhostler
Account Deactivated by Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:50 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
crankbndr wrote:Dan most likely got hosed by eBay on his international sales, a lot of sellers just flat won't ship to Italy because of getting burned by eBay.
Not saying this applies to Dan. I've been burned a couple times by less than honest E-Bay sellers. If I don't get a favorable response or I see for example, a used muffler without showing all details like the muffler opening side of the engine, I won't bid on the item. If I see a listing that seems to reflect less than the truth, I won't bid. If I find a number of negative feedback responses indicating dishonesty, I won't bid. Sometimes I see apparently unfair feedback posted, in that case I don't consider those.

Personally except for extremely rare items, I find that if I am patient, another seller will have the item I am looking for in the condition I expected and at a price I will accept.

All very wise things to do for a buyer, for me good photos are key also. I can tell most everything I need to know from good macro shots.
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top