Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Cox_ba12

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty
Live on Patrol

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered

Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered

Post  nemoskull Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 am

my build log. its been cold, and its been windy. so spent my time indoors building. never realized how spoiled i was in the desert. most of the year, the question is not CAN I FLY, its DO I WANT TO?
anyways, here is the log.
and i decided to fix the wind. i am going to build a bigger plane! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1545718
nemoskull
nemoskull
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty or.......

Post  Jaspur_x Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:29 pm

I would just minimize throws and build up a glider style wing for it since you have all that desert space to fly in.

I have a tiny yard, a little bigger than a hockey ring, surrounded by big,old growth hard wood trees to contend with so I have to gain elevation very quickly.
I just got my lazercut short kits today;and I have to use transparent monokote film, cant use the lighter type coverings
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty Re: build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered

Post  nemoskull Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:03 pm

transparent is cool!
what is a good, lite weight convering to use?
all i ever use is tissue, i like the ultra smooth iron covering, but never have used it.
nemoskull
nemoskull
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty ummmmm......

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:14 am

I have no idea really, I just buy what I can get, I never tried for lightweight coverings. The last I knew of, there was some good lightweight stuff on the market that glued on( I would have to look for the name), but I stuck to the monokote type stuff because that`s all I ever used. I like the transparent for my built up models because I like to see the "skeleton" airframe. It also helps see something slightly busted and ready to give under stress after a crash that it survived in tact (aka most of my flight attempts lately lol)
So, I never checked the lightweight coverings out. I try to stick to what I think I know that works, or that I have heard works thats simple enough for me to use. Monokote is the only type I have ever used, so I tollerate the weight.
There is no way I could use tissue &dope and get that right, I knew that from my start in modelling lol

Hopefully someone will chime in somewhere, ask around, read some other builds , stuff like that.

If the local hobby shop (aka e-flite boxed electric powered sales shop, no model builders work there) doesn`t have any transparent, I come home and order from tower hobbies, hobby people, etc.
Check out tower hobbies website, they usually have some info in their descriptions.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty Re: build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered

Post  PV Pilot Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:19 am

I am trying out the New Hangar 9 Ultracoat Parklite covering on this SuperJake I am building. Really easy stuff to iron on and it is semi transparent, enough to see wood grain. Have always used the Ultracoat stuff. Really like the true multi temperature adjustability of this iron on cover. Adheres at about 215°-220°, so you can get your corners and round edges tacked down, then just a bit more heat (225°-230°) for a slight shrink. If more shrink is needed to pull a wrinkle out, you just dial a bit more heat into the iron.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/3_525_966/products_id/149341/n/Hangar-9-ParkLite-UltraCote-True-Red
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nemoskull Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:29 am

i gotta try that.
jaspur< what time is it where ever you are at? its 3am local time.
nemoskull
nemoskull
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:15 am

I use solarfilm So Lite covering film. It is great and they do it in all colours, solid and transparent even completely clear.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty sorry Nemo...

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Sorry I missedyour Q, I didn`t ralize that my profile info was incomplete. I`m from S/W Pennsylvania;I`m probably 2 or3 hrs behind you, your in az right?
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty progress?

Post  Jaspur_x Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:00 pm

How`s she coming?
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty finished!

Post  nemoskull Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:07 pm

well, almost finished. the CG is too far forward, i forgot to account for the .5 inch flaps, this move back the theroetical cg backwards. the .020 dont run, so i have it dissassembled and soaking. i got my third engine today, a very dry and gummy .020, soaking as well. its funny, 3 engines and not one runs..
will try again in a couple of days, after all, its not like the wind is going to quit or anything......
nemoskull
nemoskull
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty geez

Post  Jaspur_x Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:43 pm

thats not cool, but don`t get discouraged, I have that all the time, most of the engines I have bought used. But then there is this one 010 that wasn`t quite right from brand new.

A little compressed air and or fluid under pressure helps cleaning them up. Like put pressure through the pick-up hose and vary the needle setting in and out. I usually like to totally dis assemble a gummy engine to get the crank and so on cleaned up for the lube passage there. I just got a used teedee 049 that wasn`t too gummed up, but I still tore her down when she seemed to have some drag while I flipped the prop with the glowhead off. So I pulled her all the way down;sure enough, good I did. It may have been ok to run her that war, but I cleaned her up anyway to stop unnecessary wear from happening. A new piston/cylinder and she is good as new.
Maybe I should have sold you one of my good ones that I know does run; instead of just letting you find your own.

the cg might be the easy part. you can shift the reciever and batterypack to fix the cg? maybe even a servo or 2?

Keep us posted on progress.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:42 am

Jaspur_x wrote:...I just got a used teedee 049 that wasn`t too gummed up, but I still tore her down when she seemed to have some drag while I flipped the prop with the glowhead off. So I pulled her all the way down;sure enough, good I did. It may have been ok to run her that war, but I cleaned her up anyway to stop unnecessary wear from happening. A new piston/cylinder and she is good as new....
The old #4 Tee Dee Cylinder/piston will have some drag as it approaches TDC because of the tapered piston and cylinder bore. That's one that you can not push the piston all the way through unless it's badly worn out.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty rknrusty:yes, but

Post  Jaspur_x Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:44 pm

I knew that about the #4, but it was the drag that was more than usual, esp for a teedee. Take the piston/cylinder off sometime and flip the prop, she should go pretty good. After you have done this a few many times, you get used to seeing how loose it spins, and it doesn`t take much drag to greatly reduce/slow the prop flips. tell-tale sign for a good cleaning.

And that piston that was in the #4, it has 2 rings indented (hammered probably) into the piston top. Trying to reset maybe, looks like the reset tool was used on the wrong end of the piston lol!
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Jaspur_x wrote:I knew that about the #4, but it was the drag that was more than usual, esp for a teedee. Take the piston/cylinder off sometime and flip the prop, she should go pretty good. After you have done this a few many times, you get used to seeing how loose it spins, and it doesn`t take much drag to greatly reduce/slow the prop flips. tell-tale sign for a good cleaning.

And that piston that was in the #4, it has 2 rings indented (hammered probably) into the piston top. Trying to reset maybe, looks like the reset tool was used on the wrong end of the piston lol!
Let me know what you think of the performance of the new type TD piston/cylinder. I'm thinking mine needs a new one. When I rebuilt it yesterday I had to insert the piston and rotate a few times before I could find a good fit, so it must be out of shape. Then I tried to re-assemble without turning the piston in the cylinder. Maybe it would find the sweet spot by itself. But I'll do a couple of rich break-in style runs before I cut it loose for full speed.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty 1 A & 1 Q

Post  Jaspur_x Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Will do Rknrusty, not sure when I will run it, may be soon, may be summer lol! am tempted to put it on my old frankensteined littlest stick with a throtle ring or bernies carb and a stout wing ; to help with windy winter day flying lol!

Nemoskull, did you consider throwing together a coroplast or coroflute beater for practice/trainer/ winter flying duties?

I will if the old littlest stick doesn`t fair very well to that (above) idea Huh...
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:10 am

Something like this ought to be rather tough.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nemoskull Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:48 pm

just got one motor running! i started it without the throttle ring. it runs backwards, so i start it backwards, then it runs right ways.

now i know why they slimey power.

when the motor spits fuel, its rich, right?

i think i might try and fly this thing anyways once i get the motor right. if i can get some altitude, i think i will be okay.
nemoskull
nemoskull
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

build log at RCG, Lastick, .020 powered Empty Cool, she lives!!

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Well if your not used to cox engines,or glow engines in general you may confuse normal exhaust spray for spitting fuel.

They throw what seems like a lot of castor/lubes out the exhaust until you get used to the fact thats just how they run when you have enough castor and lubes in the fuel.

But they can run rich enough to spew fuel out as well and keep on running.

When you adjust the needle, keep going slowly leaner from a rich setting until it gives a smooth shrill whine to the exhaust notes she is singing, you will know when you go too lean as it will lose the shrill whine ( at this point, needle back to the sweet spot) and if you go too far lean it will stall of course.

I like to run mine at the needle just peaking the rpm, just below the rich and not peaking point. This makes sure I`m not running lean as the tank empties out.
Keep tinkering with it and you`ll get the hang of tuning by ear if you don`t already have it yet.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down