Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine

Page 29 of 29 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine

Post  StevenStanleyBayes on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:15 am

robot797 wrote:hey man
weather aside
how is your generator
is it running again?

mine is
and i have run roughly 1L of fuel trough it by now

Sorry. Still busy with software. Will be back to the generator soon. Received all orders from AliExpress, lab ware, etcetera, which will help work with the generator more easily. Will report as usually.
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile http://www.Steven-Stanley-Bayes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:44 am

Okey
I look forward to it
I bought a paper punch btw
I can now use that to punch the disks
robot797
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I am back with a bang! Almost literarily.

Post  StevenStanleyBayes on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Started the engine ONLY. NO GENERATOR. Used a tiny, around 3 inch propeller for high RPM spring starts. Bent the piston rod 20 degrees! Must get a new piston and piston rod from Cox.

What happened. Stay tuned for more. For now, only briefly :

1. A few months back, as posted, I attempted to start the engine with bad fuel ( bad oil ) and a heavy propeller with, most importantly, a POWERFUL mains connected electric drill. There were floodings. This was the same way and almost the same setup I broke the pin of the original Cox crankshaft. Davis Diesel crank is strong and did not break. Good news. Unlikely to have bent the pin although I do not have a way to check this accurately without a disassembly.

Most likely, the piston rod started to bend during these power drill starts.

2. Reset the piston very well, almost without any clearance. As mentioned by someone else in the forum, with high temperature this may not be a good idea. I will not reset the new piston and the piston will remain reset by the factory.

3. Used more powerful fuel with slightly more Kerosene. Unlikely this to be the reason.

4. The spring of the Fuel Needle Valve was very week. Thus, when the engine started, the Fuel Needle Valve started to spin. Had to be kept by hand. Did not adjust other settings and the engine worked at a huge power and speed. After the run, I pulled the spring to make the Fuel Needle Valve more stable in vibrations.

5. The engine ran hot. I think but I am not sure, the temperature expansion coefficient of the piston and the rod is greater than this of the cylinder, thus, when overheated, the piston may see a huge resistance from the piston. Looked at the cylinder and the piston for scratches. Did not see any, though.

6. Preheated the engine with a torch cigarette lighter before and during spring starts. Unlikely to be the reason but may. Was not very hot but the torch was pointed at the exhaust in a single point only. This point was hotter. Hopefully not much but may have been.

7. Did many high RPM spring starts with the tiny propeller. Some of them with flooding. Done this before. No problem. However, in case the piston rod had just been slightly bent from the power drill start, this may have contributed.

8. This is the first longer run with the Davis Diesel crankshaft. Was worried of tolerances and the hexagonal propeller plate and the clearance thereof. Everything looked perfect. Thus, the new crankshaft and the tolerances was not the reason.

9. I did too many screw ups.

Good to be back, though! Happy to wear the old spice balm and Eau de Cologne made of Ether, Kerosene, Castor Oil and Cetane Booster!

Also, been watching too many UFO documentaries to notice something I would like to share. UFO's are thought of emitting huge electromagnetic and electrostatic field, strong enough to stop a traditional car gasoline engine with a coil, distributer, spark wires and spark plugs. Realised Cox Diesel does not have any of these nor anything electrical. Therefore, no UFO would be able to stop a Cox Diesel Engine! They start and they run for as long as there is fuel.

StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:49 pm

oh wow
i still havent broke anything even though i start electric all the time

btw i started building my second diesel engine
and i got it to run
but i cant get the compression high enough (little misproduction in the diesel heed)
it is fun to recoil start a cox engine
and my own hardend crankshaft is holding up great
robot797
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes on Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:47 am

robot797 wrote:oh wow
i still havent broke anything even though i start electric all the time

btw i started building my second diesel engine
and i got it to run
but i cant get the compression high enough (little misproduction in the diesel heed)
it is fun to recoil start a cox engine
and my own hardend crankshaft is holding up great

Great to hear.

The power drill I have used is incredibly powerful and can rotate even the most flooded engine. The pressure on the parts is huge.

I can either use a battery powered one or this one very cautiously, only when there is no flooding.
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:34 am

Or don't prime it
Start spinning the engine and add fuel to the choke tube
Or block it for 1 sec to draw fuel
When I wanna start my generator I start spinning it and then I pressurize the tank for a bit
And then it starts
robot797
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 29 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29

View previous topic View next topic Back to top