Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cajun Boiled Peanut Cox_ba12

Cajun Boiled Peanut Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cajun Boiled Peanut Empty
Live on Patrol

Cajun Boiled Peanut

Go down

Cajun Boiled Peanut Empty Cajun Boiled Peanut

Post  getback Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Cajun Boiled Peanut Cajun_10  Cajun Boiled Peanut Cajun_10  Cajun Boiled Peanut Cajun_10  I thought it would bee funny to rub it in /// Also made some home made Penrose!! This today no pic down at shop (next week ) good to go!!  fixed my friends POS mower w/out deck ?? today, head gasket blown  Planted some seed ... Seinfeld now lol! lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cajun Boiled Peanut Empty Re: Cajun Boiled Peanut

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:24 pm

Looks good!

Rusty cooked me up a batch when I was there. I ate a bunch at the house and the ones he sent me home with didn't last the night.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Man those look good. I havn't had boild penuts since I left Georga 25 years ago and Iv'e never had cajun ones.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:44 pm

That looks good. anyone have a recipe?
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:22 pm

What make em Cajun? Popcorn Hot
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:39 pm

crankbndr wrote:What make em Cajun? Popcorn Hot

It's gotta be one of two things. One: The Chef, Two: the Spicy Peppers ( jalapeno)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:38 pm

duke.johnson wrote:That looks good.  anyone have a recipe?

Yes I do. All you need are new crop peanuts, rock salt and water I don't cook dried peanuts that come in the bag labeled Raw Peanuts. They're dried and would need to be soaked first. Ant the flavor does not resemble the real thing.

In the Spring and fall, they are best for boiling, picked younger and more tender. I prefer the variety called Spanish Reds, other people like the big fat white skins(sometimes known as Valencias). For the reds, hand pick them at the market, a palm-full at a time, tossing back any bad ones, but keep a few of the baby "pops" because you can eat them whole and they're so good. Look for the inner skins to be light pink and not red as they will be later in the season.

Put them in your cook pot and fill it with water and stir them hard with your hand to wash them, then pour off the dirty water. Pull as many tails(stems) off as you can fine and refill the pot. They will float, so add enough water so you can reach under them and feel about 4 or 5 inches of water.

Put them on the burner to come to a boil and add a palm full of rock salt. Cover the pot and bring it to a slow rolling boil. It doesn't matter when you add it, but I so it at the start. after they are boiling, start checking(eating) them for tenderness. The young redskins will cook fast, the whiteskins take a long time. Use your stirring spoon to sip the water and adjust the salt content. You may need to add water if it gets too salty as it evaporates. I try to use hot water so they don't start cooling and sinking yet

Do not expect any salt or water to be in them when you're testing. At this stage, you are checking for tenderness and texture only. None of that happens until you turn off the heat, remove the lid and let them cool, at which time they will begin to sink and soak. Now they are getting wet and salty inside. let them soak at least a couple of hours. All this time they are taking on water and salt.

Pour off the water and line the bottom of a large bowl with folded paper towels. Spoon them from the pot into the bowl. The towels will keep the bottom ones from laying in leftover brine. Keep refrigerated when you're not eating them. I like them better cold.

To eat, pinch the end with the nose between your teeth to pop it open, and suck out the juice... like a crawfish head.. Then pop half the shell out and use your bottom teeth to extract the nuts and eat them. And eat any soft pops whole.

If the nuts are stuck in the shell and hard to scrape out and eat, you either needed to cook them longer or you got some overly mature nuts. If the skins look pretty red rather than pink, you will probably need to cook them longer. But don't cook them till mushy like everybody else does.

The white skin variety will have to cook much longer, but the redskin variety will be ready to soak and sink in 1-2.5 hours.

I wrote this in a hurry. I was on the way to bed, and this is a question I am automatically compelled to answer. So I'll re-read it and make ant revisions tomorrow after flying.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:01 am

Rusty, do you eat the entire shell? It looks like jalepenos in there as well. Is this spicy hot? They look good. I bet they smell great cooking. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:08 am

I love peanuts as ingredients in many foods or just alone, roasted and salted...but do you eat the shell as well? I see some of the kernels still sitting in their shells. It is soft, though, I guess especially after getting simmered in the pot, but is that really edible?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:28 am

Wow, looks good. No way I could eat even one though, I had a wisdom tooth extracted yesterday and another filled. Feeling dummer today because of it, but I still have three wisdoms left.

Grandson has a severe peanut allergy. Too bad, he will never know the pleasures of the peanut.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:47 am

Rusty, thanks for taking the time to write that down. I will be making a batch this weekend.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:52 am

I don't know what's in the picture. I don't use spices, I just remembered the thread title said cajun. But mine are traditional, nothing but salt. I only use rock salt because I think it tastes better and I can measure it in palm-fulls. No, don't eat the shells. You would only eat one before figuring that out. The only ones where I eat the shell is the young "pops" mixed in with the peanuts. They are soft and not fibery tough like the mature ones.

To eat, pinch the end with the nose... kind of a pointy thing at one end(that's where the shell cleaves in half) between your teeth to pop it open, and suck out the juice... like a crawfish head.. Then pop half the shell off and use your bottom teeth to extract the nuts and eat them. And eat any soft pops whole.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:55 am

Good luck. It takes practice... from selecting the ones you buy, to the cooking part. They're not in season in South Carolina yet. I expect we'll start seeing some South Georgia or Florida nuts soon. Usually in mid April.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cajun Boiled Peanut Empty Recipe i used

Post  getback Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:10 am

This is the one I used cause I couldn't find the other I have , You need to put ALL the stuff in to make it right ... Got my Virginia Large Raw Green as in fresh picked not old or roasted at the Farmers Market 1.99 a # Rusty has it down BUT , that's too much work to pick through them for me (he's a little further south than me ) . People around here have started selling them a lot at gas stores in crock pots sitting there God knows how long cooking and Most time are Mushed out ....so don't over cook them!!!  Cajun Boiled Peanut Cajun_11  I grow my own peppers and dry them at the end of the season / can some for later use also .. Had to cut them off yesterday let them set over night retasted this morning and just were not hot enough for me and some what on the hard side still ,Wink  so added more pepper flakes and will boil a little longer this morning. SO Good !!! If you want to eat the shell go head but you may not enjoy them coming out as much as going in lol! Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:31 am

I think peanuts grown in the Virginia region must also be terrific..I visited Williamsburg Virginia last October and could not help buying a very wide variety..http://www.thepeanutshop.com/
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:15 am

WOW! those look really good and Cajun spice is right up my alley... might have to try that myself bounce
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:09 pm

Yeah, Andras, I think that's where the white skins mostly come from around here. I'm sure they grow the reds too.

One important thing I left out. Unless you cooked them, do not eat boiled peanuts in the dark! lol!
My baseball park friends call them "Rusty's nuts."

Funny, my MCLS Control Line club calls me Rusty Nail.
Rusty the nut.

Watch for my flight report later.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:55 am

Rusty , You got peanut farms around your area // Thinking about trying my hand at it again , my soil is not that sandy but my dad says they grew them as a kid pretty much for his dad since all he did was eat them . Two yrs. ago I planted some and were a real pain to get out the ground and only couple hands full cropped but were good small Spanish nuts . Cant Resist The Bunn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:49 am

Eric, if it doesn't rain pretty close to harvest time, they have to stay in the ground and get more mateur than I like them. So that's an issue, they are hard to harvest if the ground is dry. I grew some once and got one pot full. I'm by no means a farmer or gardener, but my wife is. She was raised on a farm.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 pm

Here are my first Spanish Reds of the season. I bought them still young, so the skins on the peas were pink and not the mature red you see later in the season. I boiled them until they became soft  but still with a little firm crunch. That's where I like them. Then I stirred in some rock salt until it was the amount I like when I spoon up some of the brine and taste it. Then cut off the heat, removed the lid and let them sink as they cool and soak up the salty water. Like I said in my recipe, don't try to judge them by internal wetness or saltyness, because that only comes after they sink and soak. That applies to anything you cook in a pot, from green beans and peas to peanuts.

Cajun Boiled Peanut Wp_20110

Cajun Boiled Peanut Wp_20111

This is why I said NOT to eat them in the dark:
Cajun Boiled Peanut Wp_20112

Them is good goobers! Once I start eating them I cannot quit. I actually prefer them fridge cold, but to each their own.

Rusty's Nuts, as they're known around here.
Rusty the Nut

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 10, 2015 11:10 pm

Mmmm Boy!

You haven't lived until you've had a handful of Rusty's nuts!!!!

All kidding aside, Rusty can boil a mean peanut. I know, I've had me some in person. Thumbs Up
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down