Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Cox_ba12

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

And she started up with a mighty roar....

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Empty Re: And she started up with a mighty roar....

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Darn it Bob. We must have hit send at exactly the same time and you won. My last reply has just vanished. Affraid or WOW!

Trying to remember what I wrote, I notice that the pictures of a couple of your dismantled Cubs don't show a copper gasket under the cylinder. This could cause an air leak and maybe effect port timing. Also, don't assume that if a plug is glowing that it's actually gonna work. Try a plug that you know works well in another engine. When you talk about "burps", do you mean a single fire or does it actually run out the prime? I'd certainly be looking more closely to see if it's drawing fuel when choked. Ken is right, it's most likely air leaks.

My old .149 is my easiest Cub to start and runs with less fuss (& more noise) than any other. My .099s run fine, my .074s run fine & my .049Bs run fine. Just my .049 (early) long-strokes and .049As that give me grief. The first models had crank port issues and were real inconsistent. Good plug, good fuel & good compression still add up to no run on 3 of my 4. Certainly never had the same problem with my larger engines

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Empty Re: And she started up with a mighty roar....

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Don't you just hate that Rod, I have had it happen to me.

If I have a lot to say (don't I always Smile) and have pictures I will compose on Microsoft Works, add pictures from Photobucket (IMG), run spell check (be thankful guys) and post. That way if it get's lost I still have original copy.

I'm not giving up on these Cubs. I will replace that glow plug and heed Kens comments and try again. I'm glad to hear that you have luck with your OK's. Gives me hope.

I need to buy or make an engine stand. I sold mine years ago on ebay. Occasionally I look at those old ebay pictures and wish I had all that stuff back. NIB engines including a Conquest, .051's, TD's new in the package parts, the list goes on.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Sorry to hear of the stripped-out cylinder threads in the case.. but you did gain the piston you needed for the other cub. Are the threads on the jug ok? I can't remember if you were able to get the piston free after the rod snapped on that other engine.. but you might want to consider swapping-over both piston and cylinder.. I'm assuming that the porting is the same. I didn't know about the copper gasket needed at the cylinder to case fitting. I haven't run my .049 Cub yet and have only had it a short time. I'll be watching to see how your luck goes. These topics are always informative to others who have the same/similar engine.. that they haven't tried running yet.

Your fuel line in the recent post had me wondering too.. Those small Perfect tanks have really small tubes. A quickie fix to make a larger than optimal line fit tighter on that tank's nipple is to cut a piece of alloy tubing for a compression-sleeve. Check your tubing stock for a size that's just under what the line will fit inside of.. and cut/de-burr a piece about 1/4"L. Dab a little petroleum jelly onto the end of the line and twist the tubing (it's silicone.. correct?) into the sleeve and through it just a bit. Push the line all the way onto the nipple and slide the sleeve to compress the line.

I did this in reverse, for running larger line on my Cox Killer-Bee style backplate, in an effort to lower the resistance to flow on a suction-only feed. My tanks; although tiny.. were plumbed with 1/8" copper tube.

Here's a couple different pics showing where this can be useful.

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 5-25-110
And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 5-25-111
And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 5-25-112

Plenty of fuel volume in this line.. and no air leaks.

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Lg_lin10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:58 pm

rsv1cox wrote:... I sold mine years ago on ebay.  Occasionally I look at those old ebay pictures and wish I had all that stuff back.  NIB engines including a Conquest, .051's, TD's new in the package parts, the list goes on.  

Bob
Ooouuch, that really is a kick in the axx. I've heard so may people say they did the same thing. Who knew we'd be 12 again one late day. I wish I'd known what a Tee Dee and Medallion was back then, other than just those funny looking Coxes in the store. A Conquest, really!

Other than spare TDs and Medallions, that's the only C/L Cox engine I really really want in my drawer, but I can't justify buying one. Norvels are 10 times better, but the Conquest just calls out to me. I know there's one that wants to be mine. Somewhere, someday.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Hmmm, I can't use the cylinder from the plastic tanked "A" model Cub as the threads are worn as are the crankcases.  So I'm forced into using the piston from the "A" in the anodized metal tanked "B" models cylinder which had the broken connecting rod.  
 And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Flowers%202%20OKs%20011_zpsmtwl1n8e

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Flowers%202%20OKs%20015_zpsdilun08x

Both of the heads on these are really buggered up by previous owners.  I didn't even attempt to remove them from the cylinders.

The B's cylinder had a burr at the exhaust port, so I cleaned the broken piston from the A, turned it upside down (minus the con rod) and forced it through the burr, then polished with fine steel wool and oil.  Works fine now.  Interesting intake porting on these FRV's, three ports equally spaced at the bottom of the cylinder.  

The B came with a full compliment of  gaskets, the A model had none.  

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Flowers%202%20OKs%20017_zpsj0lqkn35

Got both the .099 and the .049B repaired and ready to go.  The .099 works fine, I still have to test run the .049 but it looks like it's going to be OK...Smile

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Flowers%202%20OKs%20022_zpsx6flu6cy

Still have to revisit the .149.

Thanks for the hints on collaring the tubing roddie, I will give it a try.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:05 pm

chevyiron420 wrote:My understanding is a 099 with beam mount only is a 1949, after that they had beam and radial. This is the same engine I have on a ringmaster and need a crankcase for. My main bearing got taken out by a out of balance spinner.

OK made this beam mount adapter for the .099

In 1958, they put on the undrilled square plate at the back of the engine and added the beam mounts.

That reduced diameter round section on the front of the case has always been interesting. I have heard of, but never seen, .099s with rear crank bearings; maybe that is the idea of that design.

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Cub-0910
And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Img_5310
And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Img_5311
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:24 pm

Interesting GWF, I have never seen that mount.

A couple of early Ok .049's no A or B suffix pictured as received.

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Oks%20003_zpswdgu3xyx

Looks like the left had one has an owner mod on the needle valve assembly.

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Oks%20001_zps294wanfd

A couple of put togethers, an "H" model? on left.

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Oks%20010_zpscuedzdc9

Some B models.  Bottom two must be "product" engines mounted in an airplane.  Looks like the props at one time had spinners.  Top engine has a pull string start and an unusual prop drive washer either boat or plane.  

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Oks%20005_zpsj42b3has

I'm still hitting on that stubborn .149.  I rearranged the fuel supply and got it to run for 3 or 4 seconds then it would quit.  The only way it would run at all would be slobbering rich, spitting fuel out of the exhaust ports and venturi.  Anything leaner and it was done.  

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Oks%20015_zpsq4hfyjr9

I'm going to try a different needle.  These blunt tapered needles allow little room for adjustment error.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:29 pm

The two engines in your first pictures are the original Cubs; the first .049s by anyone (commercially). The one with the serial number is one of the very first ones from 1949! It originally had an Arden plug. The one with no serial number is a little later, probably late 1950 or so. These were long stroke .049s.
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:08 pm

"Scuze me while I whip this out." Affraid or WOW!
>049B
Replaced the needle assembly with the 128tpi
one from Texas Timers a while back. Could hardly
start her before. Needles beautifully now.
Bob
And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Ok_04910
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:58 am

I've tried modifying the needle like suggested by many but slightly more taper seems to allow the thimble to bottom out on the spray bar, not allowing the needle to close. I have actually shortened the thimble on one to overcome this.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:30 am

Nice Bob, I have that McCoy 049 diesel that I need to do that too and already have a needle that was removed from a red product back plate , I have a drill press (small one ) that I was thinking of trying to use to press out the old one , what you think on that , I haven't ever done one before but need to get with the program!! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:07 pm

I managed to press mine out with a buffered vice, safer than beating on it with a hammer. Harbor Freight sells mechanical advantage presses rather cheaply but I have avoided getting one. I'm not sure if you would get the M/A out of drill press sufficient to do the job or the precision to guide it, but it's worth a try. If you do, let us know how it works out.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:13 pm

dckrsn wrote:"Scuze me while I whip this out." Affraid or WOW!
>049B
Replaced the needle assembly with the 128tpi
one from Texas Timers a while back. Could hardly
start her before. Needles beautifully now.
Bob
And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Ok_04910

Is that a tapered needle Bob like the standard Cox .049's?  Is it a tap right in fit and does the venturi align properly in the center?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:36 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Is that a tapered needle Bob like the standard Cox .049's?  Is it a tap right in fit and does the venturi align properly in the center?
Yep, it's a tapered needle. I just supported the bottom side and pushed with a drill press vice.
Replacement pushes in by hand, and is secured with a little JB-Weld. Locating the fuel opening
is no problem.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:44 am

Of the .049B's that you refer to as product engines, I have one like the lower left. It came on a Comet Sabre44. The later Sabre44's used a pull starter...perhaps like the one above it.

Great bunch of engines you got in that deal!

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Bob, is that a Nelson plug setup on the Cub? Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:00 pm

Ken Cook wrote:               Bob, is that a Nelson plug setup on the Cub? Ken

Hi Ken,  I haven't pulled the plugs on either of the .049's, but I think they are standard 1/4-32. The .149 is a standard plug.  I will take a look and let you know.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:33 pm

I thought I would try the red tanked "Product" engine next. Lower left. Ran it as pictured as it was freed up but slightly corroded.

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 Oks%20005_zpsj42b3has

Fueled it up with 20% nitro and it started right up, no problem. Running rich I leaned it out but got no better the 7.5K on my Glow boy tach. Ran it a couple more times and could get no better, but at least it runs.

Disassembled it partially and cleaned it, lubed with Remoil and after run and bagged it for future use.

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 OK%20B%20002_zpsrar1wggu

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 OK%20B%20004_zpsqcnrcaft

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 OK%20B%20005_zpsdgbwssh3

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 OK%20B%20009_zpszzbp4q13

Next up it the other product engine. This one is quite clean, looks new.

And she started up with a mighty roar.... - Page 2 OK%20B%20008_zpsx06okmos
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2