Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Cox_ba12

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Yesterday at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Empty
Live on Patrol

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Empty Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread

Post  Kim Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:30 am

So, after sitting in storage long enough to gather a couple puncture wounds in it's new silkspan, Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg 'Wittman Buster' gets dragged out into the daylight for a pre-paint cleaning with a tack cloth.  My equally dusty Badger detail gun, several boxes of Brodak Dope, and a BUNCH of carefully packaged rolls of masking tape also got some attention.

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 4_16

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 2_21

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Buster10

Wayne built the Buster way back in 1968, following the unfortunate broken-line demise of his Goldberg Shoestring version, and a couple years ago, I volunteered to restore it to flying condition.

The plane has held up remarkably well, considering the four years or so of 'Front Line Service', and got some new lead-out wires, along with some minor internal repairs, and some hinge stitching through the old fabric that's holding the elevator in place.

The Buster's gonna get a coat of light gray, with some red trim, and reproduction stickers I got from Brodak.  It'll also be reunited with it's original Fox .35.  So, I need all of you to aim Good Mojo my way to keep me on this project 'till it's slobbering castor oil across the ramp!

Last edited by Kim on Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Empty Re: Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread

Post  larrys4227 Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Good luck Kim! I'll be looking for that flight report!!
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Empty Re: Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread

Post  Kim Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:18 am

More Buster Trivia...got my Brodak thinner order, along with a couple fuel tanks, so the Buster has a tank, and is about to get some color!

Hoping for a low humidity day to do this, but probably gonna try either way (with a shot of retarder to slow things down).

Uncle Wayne's ancient Fox .29 and it's brand-new fuel tank:

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 5_17

Enough Brodak products to have paid for my first motorcycle!

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 6_21

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:15 am

Kim I can relate... my first dope order was from Sig not Brodak but the initial stock-up was a serious sticker shock when I finally went to my "cart"....

One of these days I am going to switch to airfield supplier in Dallas Tx for gallons of Randolf dope and thinner

Dang near same sticker shock when I did my initial supply order of Monokote type coverings
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:26 am

The "Buster" was my first "big" plane; a move up from a bunch of .049 models.  Unfortunately, it had a short lifespan.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:50 am

Knock it out buddy!

Hope you re-glued some of the more important joints!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:38 am

Fred:

Yeah, the stuff really is like 'liquid gold'!.  I've got some Randolph clear and thinner to see I can use it with the Brodak, or at least clean the detail gun with it...just kills me to stand there, spraying Brodak thinner in the air!  Gonna use it on some scrap wood to see if the Brodaks attacks it.

Hey Andrew,  I think we helped boost Carl Goldberg sales big time during our 3-4 year flurry of building!   There were Shoestrings and Busters all over the place, while I broke from the crowd and built a Cosmic Wind.  They were 're-kitted' with alarming frequency!

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Cosmic10

Yeah Ron, while I had the covering off, I hit everything I could reach with thin CA...soooo...fingers crossed !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Kim Kim Kim!!!! Never spew $49~$65 a gallon thinner in the air.... get thy arse to home depot or lowes for a $9~$15 gallon of MEK, Xylene, or cheap Lacquer thinner for the gun clearing

Hand Shake
lol!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:56 pm

I will from now on! Thanks Fred!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Popcorn Yea Baby you go with the rebuild , man that's a lot of Dope /Cash $$ getback Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Like Fred, I use the cheap Lacquer thinner from Lowe's for cleanup.  I've used it some for thinner with dope, but it can cause some clumping with certain colors although it seems to work OK with clear.

Butyrate thinner is best, but the cheap lacquer is great for cleaning.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Yeah, don't have a real excuse for not figuring this out on my own...just locked in on the whole 'not mixing brands thing".

I DID finally get a reasonable day to break out the detail gun, and so, got a good coat of gray Brodack on the Buster.  Looks like it went on well, and gave me a fair shine after it dried.  Gonna now trim it with red leading edges, a white canopy, and red strut fairings.

Had a little embarrassment when Uncle Wayne called and said he'd searched his shop and couldn't find his old Fox .29 !!!  Seems I've had it over here for a few years !  He took the news well and was glad he at least knew where it was !

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 7_11

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 9_10

While the compressor was cranked up, I also hit Mud Dabber (a Mark I Kadet) with a base coat of yellow, and pretty much finished the Scientific 'Golden Hawk' that's been parked for a year.  Another good day, and all three ought to be ready to fly!

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 1_10

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 3_10

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 8_10

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 10_10

Not a bad day !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Not a bad day at all! Good for you. I'm still just wanting to be inspired, you know, how sometimes you just wanna want to... I seem to have a case of that. Early Winter makes me creaky, but I usually shake it off and lean into it. Good to see some projects moving.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:47 pm

RknRusty wrote:how sometimes you just wanna want to... I seem to have a case of that.
Rusty

Yep...know THAT too well !!! So...when I blabbed here that I was gonna do some painting...had the pressure to do it going on, and pulled two more projects into the fray!

Plus...along with Wayne, I'd REALLY like to see this old profile make some laps again...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:19 am

Kim Nice job on the painting , I like the way you use a hand held stick mounted to the firewall for holding the model I may have to see if I can make me something along the same principal but, would like it where I could mount to a base to hold it still say slid the round stick into a cylinder, I know there is no way I could hold both and ay one time lol! cant wait to see them in the air , is Wayne excited about getting here back in the air ? getback Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:59 pm

I always loved the Golden Hawk. I really like your Aussie green & gold colour scheme Kim. I'd always planned to build one but I can't get through the projects I already have let alone sit anoher kit on the shelf for years. The Blackhawk kits are getting dearer and as the AU$ continues to drop they have certainly got out of my range. ($90 AUD shipped)

Rod
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:42 pm

The Fox can benefit from making the air scoop functional. I do it on all of my Foxberg variants. It's easily done on the Goldberg kits. It can assist in hot restarts. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Thank you guys!

Yeah Eric, Wayne is looking forward to seeing the old Buster go again, and there will be a photo session at the reunion!
He gave the go ahead to open up the air scoop in it's cheek cowl...thanks Ken!

Yeah Rod, know what you mean...I've got a lot of parked projects...the Golden Hawk WAS one until I grabbed it and started shooting paint at!)

I've always associated the Golden Hawk's color with being green and gold...figure because it was my uncle's choice for him.

Yes...90 dollars is HUGE price for a tiny 1/2A kit!!

Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread 14_10

Last edited by Kim on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:14 am

Kim wrote:
Yeah Rod, know what you mean...I've got a lot of parked projects...the Golden Hawk WAS one until I grabbed it and started shooting paint at!)

I've always associated the Golden Hawk's color with being green and gold...figure because it was my uncle's choice for him.

Yes...90 dollars is HUGE price for a tiny 1/2A kit!!

Yeah, I only wish the Chinese would start making balsa control line kits.  I can land a plug-n-fly foam RC plane for less than a US made 1/2A kit.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:14 am

Well... A kit like that contains maybe $10 worth of balsa, so why not order a few bellcranks, get some balsa and scratch-build one? Hollow log is a bit challenging to make, but it would be easy to build a box fuselage out of maybe 3-4mm balsa, and carve the top out of solid block (or a stack of light sheet glued together).

Not the same thing, I know, but close Smile My profile models have in them about €5 worth of balsa each.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:11 am

True...they can be scratched out pretty simply. I'll post the Golden Hawk's instruction sheet here once I get a faster connection.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:43 am

Kim.
I already got this from Outerzone.
Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Golden10
Is that the one you meant?  Unfortunately it's not all that clear.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Kim.
I already got this from Outerzone.
Uncle Wayne's Carl Goldberg "Buster"...Old Thread Golden10
Is that the one you meant?  Unfortunately it's not all that clear.

Yeah, that was it. I seem to remember now that it was listed in another thread as available from Outerzone.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Frank Musciano has 36 plans kitted by Scientific on Outerzone.  Most are the log designs that were popular in the 60's.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:48 pm

andrew wrote:Frank Musciano has 36 plans kitted by Scientific on Outerzone.  Most are the log designs that were popular in the 60's.
Hi Andrew.
Do you mean Walt, or is there another Musciano?
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next