Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


building a Guillows kit P 40 Babe_b10
Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2020
Kim's

"Double Your Pleasure" Two .020 Tee Dees and Their New Tanks"



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery


building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty

building a Guillows kit P 40

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:26 pm

url=https://servimg.com/view/19124486/61]building a Guillows kit P 40 Airpla13[/url]
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:29 pm

url=https://servimg.com/view/19124486/62]building a Guillows kit P 40 Airpla14[/url]
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:34 pm

url=https://servimg.com/view/19124486/63]building a Guillows kit P 40 Airpla15[/url]
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Started building this Guillows P 40 and half way into it decided to post my progress. This is going to be a CL powered by a tee dee .051
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  batjac on Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Well, I'm really behind the times.  I didn't even know Guillows made sheet wing plane kits. Is that a 400 Series kit?  Looking good.  I'm looking forward to your progress.

The Uninformed Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1828
Join date : 2013-05-22
Age : 57
Location : Portland, OR, USA

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:08 pm

batjac wrote:Well, I'm really behind the times.  I didn't even know Guillows made sheet wing plane kits.   Is that a 400 Series kit?  Looking good.  I'm looking forward to your progress.

The Uninformed Mark
  They don't Mark, I added 1/32 balsa for strength. Im still new to CL and need my planes to be x-tra strong,,,,and yes it is a 400 series kit
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  roddie on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:54 pm

akjgardner wrote:
batjac wrote:Well, I'm really behind the times.  I didn't even know Guillows made sheet wing plane kits.   Is that a 400 Series kit?  Looking good.  I'm looking forward to your progress.

The Uninformed Mark
  They don't Mark, I added 1/32 balsa for strength. Im still new to CL and need my planes to be x-tra strong,,,,and yes it is a 400 series kit

I thought the same thing. I like your idea. Are you following the dihedral angle on the plan? It's hard to tell from the pics. Are those lite-ply bulkheads? Any space in the nose for a fuel tank bay? It might be good to plan for an access-hatch and fuel-proof the whole inside of the nose. Maybe tack-in a smooth thin plastic-sheet "trough" for a balloon or bladder-tank to sit in.

Very COOL!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6872
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 60
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:58 pm

roddie wrote:
akjgardner wrote:
batjac wrote:Well, I'm really behind the times.  I didn't even know Guillows made sheet wing plane kits.   Is that a 400 Series kit?  Looking good.  I'm looking forward to your progress.

The Uninformed Mark
  They don't Mark, I added 1/32 balsa for strength. Im still new to CL and need my planes to be x-tra strong,,,,and yes it is a 400 series kit

I thought the same thing. I like your idea. Are you following the dihedral angle on the plan? It's hard to tell from the pics. Are those lite-ply bulkheads? Any space in the nose for a fuel tank bay? It might be good to plan for an access-hatch and fuel-proof the whole inside of the nose. Maybe tack-in a smooth thin plastic-sheet "trough" for a balloon or bladder-tank to sit in.  

Very COOL!
Thanks Roddie. yes the dihedral is correct to the plan,The bulkheads are not lite ply, but i will beef up the front of the plane,great Idea on the accessible fuel tank and fuel proofing
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  ARUP on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Cool build! I had one of these in the queue until a buddy begged it off me. I built a Guillows Zero per plan as a kid and powered it with a Cox 049. It was a real nice flying airplane although the flat bottomed airfoil would be better if it weren't! I guess it worked well for me at the time being a young, inexperienced kid and all. Now I'm just an old, experienced kid but still don't know much!
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 179
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Kentucky

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  roddie on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Yes, it probably wouldn't hurt to strengthen the nose framework. Do you have any thin CA adhesive? I see the tube of Ambroid on your bench. I love Ambroid.. but I use CA a lot now. Thin CA can add a surprising amount of strength to balsa.. without adding much weight. Areas that won't need sanding, (the inner framework of the nose) can be treated with it.. which also helps to seal the grain prior to fuel-proofing. You could try a test by saturating a scrap-piece of a balsa stringer with thin CA.. and do a break-test vs. an untreated piece. If you've never used CA/superglue, have a fan blowing on low speed to carry the vapors away from you. The vapors can cause an allergic reaction in some people. I had trouble with it.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6872
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 60
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  getback on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Looking Good Joe !!, that will really be nice all decked out , What was the power plant if I missed that ,,, Thanks for sharing your build . I have built some Guillows but has been a lot of years , I was just up stairs not long ago and was looking at all the pieces of difft. planes I have WOw. Eric Babe Bee
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Posts : 6996
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 62
Location : julian

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:33 pm

roddie wrote:Yes, it probably wouldn't hurt to strengthen the nose framework. Do you have any thin CA adhesive? I see the tube of Ambroid on your bench. I love Ambroid.. but I use CA a lot now. Thin CA can add a surprising amount of strength to balsa.. without adding much weight. Areas that won't need sanding, (the inner framework of the nose) can be treated with it.. which also helps to seal the grain prior to fuel-proofing. You could try a test by saturating a scrap-piece of a balsa stringer with thin CA.. and do a break-test vs. an untreated piece. If you've never used CA/superglue, have a fan blowing on low speed to carry the vapors away from you. The vapors can cause an allergic reaction in some people. I had trouble with it.
CA is my friend too, My loyalty to Ambroid made me put the tube there for the photo. lol
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:45 pm

getback wrote:Looking Good Joe !!, that will really be nice all decked out , What was the power plant if I missed that ,,, Thanks for sharing your build . I have built some Guillows but has been a lot of years , I was just up stairs not long ago and was looking at all the pieces of difft. planes I have WOw. Eric Babe Bee
Thanks Eric. Iv'e always liked Guillows kits and now that I'm getting lazy . I like the laser cut kits even more. Power is coming from a tee dee .051. It's going to be a little heavy but I think a TD will do the job.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  Cribbs74 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:21 pm

Something to consider is strength of the nose. Guillow select Balsa is really hit or miss, usually more of a miss. If built per plans the TD will rip the nose off. You may need to block between the formers or sheet the nose.

Do the plans call for a Pee Wee? If so you will be way nose heavy, which you already alluded to. You might have to add significant weight to balance.

Looks like a fun build!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

2019 Supporter

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10831
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 46
Location : Tuttle, OK

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Something to consider is strength of the nose. Guillow select Balsa is really hit or miss, usually more of a miss. If built per plans the TD will rip the nose off. You may need to block between the formers or sheet the nose.

Do the plans call for a Pee Wee? If so you will be way nose heavy, which you already alluded to. You might have to add significant weight to balance.

Looks like a fun build!

Ron
Hey Ron ,Thanks for the input. I am going to sheet between the formers with 3/32 balsa back to the cockpit and sheet the whole plane with 1/32. Also to compensate for the heavy nose the tail featers will be solid 3/32 balsa
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  ARUP on Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:15 pm

When I built the Zero I did as suggested and put all that infill balsa around the nose at firewall. If I were to do it again I would sand a 'rebate' in the structure then wrap with 0.75 oz fiberglass cloth sandwiched between 1/64 balsa sheets. Fiddly but light and strong!
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 179
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Kentucky

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:41 am

ARUP wrote:When I built the Zero I did as suggested and put all that infill balsa around the nose at firewall. If I were to do it again I would sand a 'rebate' in the structure then wrap with 0.75 oz fiberglass cloth sandwiched between 1/64 balsa sheets. Fiddly but light and strong!
Thanks ARUP. I might give that a try
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  ARUP on Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Your build inspired me to start the Nakajima B5N 'Kate' that I've been dreaming about for some time! Maybe some day we can fly them in the same circle and do our own mini battle! Both planes to survive and fly again, of course!
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 179
Join date : 2015-09-13
Location : Kentucky

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:48 am

ARUP. Glad you got inspired, actually I havn't worked on mine in a week, So you've Inspired me to get back on it.Yes a reenactment of the sky battle at Pearl Harbor would be fun.Up till now Iv'e been more of a RC guy but hav been building some half A control line for springtime flying.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty a little more progress made

Post  akjgardner on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:30 pm

url=https://servimg.com/view/19124486/64]building a Guillows kit P 40 02410[/url]
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty tank installation

Post  akjgardner on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:35 pm

url=https://servimg.com/view/19124486/66]building a Guillows kit P 40 02911[/url]
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  getback on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:04 am

Looking good Joe , there is quite a bit to the framing but should come out nicely , is it getting covering on the fuse or going to be sheeted ? getback I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Posts : 6996
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 62
Location : julian

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  Kim on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:20 am

Beautiful Work!

'Must-Resist-Clearing-Bench-And-Starting-New-Guillows-Project' !!!

Fighting Temptation Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Posts : 7194
Join date : 2011-09-06
Location : South East Missouri

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:33 am

getback wrote:Looking good Joe , there is quite a bit to the framing but should come out nicely , is it getting covering on the fuse or going to be sheeted ? getback I Love This Forum!
I'm going to cover with 1/32 balsa and then synthetic tissue.......I think
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  akjgardner on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Kim wrote:Beautiful Work!

'Must-Resist-Clearing-Bench-And-Starting-New-Guillows-Project' !!!

Fighting Temptation Kim
Thanks Kim, Iv'e alwas liked Guillows kits.Now I like the laser kits even more.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2020 Supporter

Posts : 1102
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 60
Location : Milan Indiana

Back to top Go down

building a Guillows kit P 40 Empty Re: building a Guillows kit P 40

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum