Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Cox_ba12

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

Recent engine acquisitions

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Empty Re: Recent engine acquisitions

Post  balogh Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:52 am

Yes I may have read the number in haste. In fact the BW maxes out where its dark green curve intersects the brown at a bit below 16.5k
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:24 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
balogh wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:I've found that nylon standoffs can be purchased at a hardware store, so one doesn't have to create a recess in the engine mounting area on the plane to clear the choke tube.
You must know this Surestart engine mount, do you? Seems to be a more rigid, customized mount than the plastic stand-offs. http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-engine-firewall-helicopter-mount.html

Hello Balogh. Yes, I am familiar with that mount. Personally, the nylon spacers were cheaper and have adequate contact area for stable mounting of the engine.

Latest acquisition from a CL friend, Bro. Dane Martin as a gift; a brand new and un-run OK Cub .049R engine.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Ok_cub10
George, an unusual feature of your Cub engine.  I note it has the late type cylinder which has the wider diameter at the top to accommodate a Cox-type glow head, but it seems that it has a standard type head with a glow plug installed. I would have expected that it would have a glow head, although OK Engines do include in their parts list a head to take a glow plug to suit the later cylinders. I just would have thought the adaptor head would have been produced as a replacement part rather than factory fitted from new. You just never know. OK just seems to have built engines out af whatever parts they had lying around.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:18 am

balogh wrote:Yes I may have read the number in haste. In fact the BW maxes out where its dark green curve intersects the brown at a bit below 16.5k

Graph refers to Peter Chinn's Aeromodeller article, where that "bit below" is 15.5k. However, with higher nitro levels would shift curve upward and to the right with max bph at a higher rpm, so 16.5k might be achieved. That might explain why I had good sea level performance with a 5.25x4 prop and 25% nitro fuel. A hotter cylinder with additional bypass / widened bypass ports and lighter piston, improved subpiston induction would shift that curve, too.

But it does illustrate that the BW even with original porting remains a prized engine for powering sport models.

Oldenginerod wrote:George, an unusual feature of your Cub engine.  I note it has the late type cylinder which has the wider diameter at the top to accommodate a Cox-type glow head, but it seems that it has a standard type head with a glow plug installed. I would have expected that it would have a glow head, although OK Engines do include in their parts list a head to take a glow plug to suit the later cylinders. I just would have thought the adaptor head would have been produced as a replacement part rather than factory fitted from new. You just never know. OK just seems to have built engines out af whatever parts they had lying around.

Rod, thanks for posting that, I'll have to pull of the head and check. If a Cox glowhead will fit would certainly improve performance and make this a worthy sport engine.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:47 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
balogh wrote:Yes I may have read the number in haste. In fact the BW maxes out where its dark green curve intersects the brown at a bit below 16.5k

Graph refers to Peter Chinn's Aeromodeller article, where that "bit below" is 15.5k.

Thanks for the correction, you are right.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:54 am

OK, here is the latest lot, from Finland. I had bought engines from this guy earlier, a few days ago he told me he had found a couple of TeeDees in good condition and some loose parts and also an .049 product engine. He asked 38€ incl postage. Yup, I said.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Image47

Well, the two engines were no TeeDees but Medallions in great condition. If they have ever been run, they have been meticulously cleaned afterwards. One even has a muffler. The loose parts included unused TeeDee .020 mount and a tank, an .020 glowhead, a Kavan tank kit minus one screw and also a brand new stunt tank. I forgot to put the product engine on the table for the picture but it has a slit exhaust cylinder and a brass driveplate. I think it may actually be a Babe Bee originally, since there was also a short tank and a late model metal backplate among the loose parts and tank screws too. And the horseshoe backplate had a .020 needle jammed into the plastic seal Smile

This has got to be one of my better deals. I had wanted a couple of Medallions for some time, and I already had 4 TeeDees of this size (two .049s and two .051s). So I was pleasantly surprised to receive these. I'll pick one of them for my collection, and make the other a runner with a non-SPI cylinder and a muffler.

The hunt for .09 engines continues Computer Issues
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:13 pm

Nice buy Kari. Happydad
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:25 am

Looking good Kari !! you will like the medallion its a easy starter and runs pretty strong , mine lifted the Stuntman 23 off the ground like a rocket compared to the Bee that was on it till I slapped it into the ground LOl . Eric Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:02 am

Ok, here's the latest one. I finally got that "P-40" engine, but it came with a plane attached lol!

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 14253694.t

Well, actually it has a horseshoe engine with a slit-exhaust, no-flats-for-wrench cylinder so it is a later model. It doesn't seem to ever have had its engine running. The exhausts, the spinner, and the antenna are missing. I do have a couple of spinners so no problem there but the rest I'll have to either source or make. The rudder/fin is bent and the bellcrank is jammed inside somehow so that the elevator is stuck in the down position.

So nothing major, should be easy to sort out Thumbs Up

Edit: the regular pic hosting service is not working right now so I used another one... The little pic is a link that leads to a bigger one.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:58 am

Except for a few missing pieces, you got one in mint conditions, congrats, Kari. Cox did a really nice job on that one.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks George. I am not sure what the story behind this plane is, I think it may have been a display piece in a hobby shop, or maybe it was a gift to someone who was not interested in model planes.

I noticed the ad at a classifieds site, it was listed at the "wanted" area by mistake and the price was not shown. I sent the seller an email asking about the price, and he responded 150€, but also told that he had no clue what these might be worth. He said that at least the engine must be worth something. I told him that the plane looks like it is in good condition, and definitely most valuable as a complete unit. I also told that the engines can be had for 10-20€ easily but the plane with the engine is many times more valuable. I told him that his asking price is not insane, but it is too much for me, as I collect engines, not the models, and said that I would be ready to pay 50€ for such a plane. He responded: "well if that 50€ is your offer, we got a deal". What a surprise!

It is a nice plane, a bit flimsy, a tad heavy maybe and definitely fragile. But it looks good as it is and will be near perfect once I add the spinner, clean the whole thing and free up the elevator. This  one is just perfect for me, since it is not NIB , which means I can handle it, play with it and there is some things to tinker on it too. Just the way I like them.

And finally, as a warning to all diehard  Small Cox Logo  toy collectors, the spinner I am going to install on it is RED lol! I have a couple of yellow ones too but I think the red one will look better Smile

Edit: just couldn't help it. I HAD to go find the spinner and try it on Cool

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 14253738.t
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:24 am

Kari, as far as I can recall, these came with a red spinner, so it is appropriate to use the color. Regarding flimsiness, all RTF's were that way back then. The plastic would easily shatter upon crashing. I found out later that balsa flew better and had better crash resilience. I never personally witnessed it, but I understand that during the 1960's, Cox would give CL flying demonstrations at Disneyland in California. That must have been some sight and helped to sell models and engines.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:51 am

Maybe I confused it with the Spitfire, which, in my opinion, would also look better with a red spinner but has a yellow one as standard. The plastic is probably polystyrene, same stuff that is used for static scale models. It is not very tough, but it is heavy, soft, and especially fragile in cold. A lot of these were probably destroyed while flying in the winter here in Finland. I have no practical experience on these but it is easy to believe that balsa flies better.

Demonstrating these models in Disneyland was a great marketing strategy, reaching hundreds of kids (and dads) at one time, most of them already in "spending mood".
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:
balogh wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:I've found that nylon standoffs can be purchased at a hardware store, so one doesn't have to create a recess in the engine mounting area on the plane to clear the choke tube.
You must know this Surestart engine mount, do you? Seems to be a more rigid, customized mount than the plastic stand-offs. http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-engine-firewall-helicopter-mount.html

Hello Balogh. Yes, I am familiar with that mount. Personally, the nylon spacers were cheaper and have adequate contact area for stable mounting of the engine.

Latest acquisition from a CL friend, Bro. Dane Martin as a gift; a brand new and un-run OK Cub .049R engine.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Ok_cub10
George, an unusual feature of your Cub engine.  I note it has the late type cylinder which has the wider diameter at the top to accommodate a Cox-type glow head, but it seems that it has a standard type head with a glow plug installed.  I would have expected that it would have a glow head, although OK Engines do include in their parts list a head to take a glow plug to suit the later cylinders.  I just would have thought the adaptor head would have been produced as a replacement part rather than factory fitted from new.  You just never know.  OK just seems to have built engines out af whatever parts they had lying around.

Guys, just noticed this, it's a .059/.060 engine from the early 60's and yes the .060 that came in a RTF Comet plane with the glowhead, c.1958. The head on it now likely came from a mid fifties or later .049, or was assembled at factory from parts. Hard to say as Herkimer was hit or miss toward the end of production, that and they were also built from parts for the last forty some years!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:15 pm

I recently received my box of OK Cub parts from the OK Engines stock clearance. Lots of goodies to keep my engines going for a few years yet. Interestingly, having discussed the heads here, Ted also included (free of charge) a glow plug adaptor head for both this .049/.059 and the .024/.025. When I have a chance I'll do a comparison between how the head and the plug run. I can't see the .024 adaptor being at all successful, with that engine being pretty marginal even with the extra compression the glow head would provide. Lower it even more with the adaptor & I can't see it running too well.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:47 pm

KariFS wrote:Thanks George. I am not sure what the story behind this plane is, I think it may have been a display piece in a hobby shop, or maybe it was a gift to someone who was not interested in model planes.

I noticed the ad at a classifieds site, it was listed at the "wanted" area by mistake and the price was not shown. I sent the seller an email asking about the price, and he responded 150€, but also told that he had no clue what these might be worth. He said that at least the engine must be worth something. I told him that the plane looks like it is in good condition, and definitely most valuable as a complete unit. I also told that the engines can be had for 10-20€ easily but the plane with the engine is many times more valuable. I told him that his asking price is not insane, but it is too much for me, as I collect engines, not the models, and said that I would be ready to pay 50€ for such a plane. He responded: "well if that 50€ is your offer, we got a deal". What a surprise!

It is a nice plane, a bit flimsy, a tad heavy maybe and definitely fragile. But it looks good as it is and will be near perfect once I add the spinner, clean the whole thing and free up the elevator. This  one is just perfect for me, since it is not NIB , which means I can handle it, play with it and there is some things to tinker on it too. Just the way I like them.

And finally, as a warning to all diehard  Small Cox Logo  toy collectors, the spinner I am going to install on it is RED lol! I have a couple of yellow ones too but I think the red one will look better Smile

Edit: just couldn't help it. I HAD to go find the spinner and try it on Cool

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 14253738.t

yep i agree, the red spinner does look better! i also added the pilot.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 1-7-0610
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:14 pm

That's a nice looking Warhawk Mark. I like the way the engine is installed in that version. Were the wheel centers painted like that originally? Mine are all black.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Again I was offered some Cox engine parts along with some other stuff. 20€ plus shipping.

Here is the package:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Image32

I thought, what the... Who ordered a pair of spare kidneys? Weird styro box with weird text on top. Anyway, here are the Cox gems from the box:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Image33

A cast crankcase assy, silly-cone muffler, a very strange custom backplate assembly, a home-ported cylinder and some other odds and ends. Together with this item that came with a bunch of parts over a year ago...

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Image28

... Plus a barely used cylinder and piston...
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Image29

We have the makings of an RC Bee! Extra credit to whoever is the first to point out all three parts that I forgot to put in the picture above Wink

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Image34

I had never seen one in person, it looks quite nice. Much better than in pictures that I'd seen before. I see Bernie has new tanks for these for less than 10 bucks, seems like a decent deal if you have a cast case engine kicking around. And if you don't, Bernie has those too Thumbs Up

Oh yeah, the other stuff in the kidney transplant box were a big and heavy lump of sandblasted Soviet alloy plus a weird looking long silencer that by the looks of it won't silence much.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Image30

Now what kind of model would this combination fit anyway?

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Image31

Just kidding Smile It's an NIB Soviet-made CSTKAM 2,5cc from 1990 with its tuned pipe and original spares as supplied when new. It is rather sticky to turn over, I didn't even try, as these are known to have particles inside them straight out from the factory. So I'll take it apart and clean it up, possibly also fit new bearings. According to the documents this should be a real powerhouse, with 0.66 Hp @25+ k rpm. Some day I will at least bench run it.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:41 pm

Here is an example where the .15 engine fits well!
I think a have at least three of these plus some of the similar MVVS .15 engines...

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Img_0710

They will give you a proper pylon face too Smile))

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Pylon_10
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:02 pm

I'll take a WAG at the missing parts: glow head, reed retainer/gasket between tank and crankcase.  I think I see a prop screw off to the right of the picture.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:52 pm

Marleysky wrote:I'll take a WAG at the missing parts: glow head, reed retainer/gasket between tank and crankcase.  I think I see a prop screw off to the right of the picture.

Close... Hint: this engine model has the reed retainer built-in into the tank front face.

But yes, glow head is one, and the tank/case gasket is another. The third may be so "trivial" it is actually difficult to spot Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:00 am

Surfer_kris wrote:Here is an example where the .15 engine fits well!
I think a have at least three of these plus some of the similar MVVS .15 engines...

They will give you a proper pylon face too Smile))

That's a fast looking plane and the pipe extending out over the wing looks just bada$$ Cool
Is it a different engine model or an R/C carb retrofit? I remember seeing pictures of R/C stunt planes with pipes in the '80s, with the pipe enclosed into a removable canopy/turtledeck.

lol! @ the pylon face... I could imagine my face would go through a full series of expressions for the 5 or 6 seconds I could handle a beast like that lol!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:35 am

The MVVS carb is a direct drop in, but the stock glow head is a little cold to give a good throttling. For me it is just nice to be able to slow things down and to land at will.

The is also an MDS .15 that is quite similar in appearance, plus the Rossi .15 which probably is what they all tried to copy. Wink

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 4 Img_5110
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:49 am

KariFS wrote:
Marleysky wrote:I'll take a WAG at the missing parts: glow head, reed retainer/gasket between tank and crankcase.  I think I see a prop screw off to the right of the picture.

Close... Hint: this engine model has the reed retainer built-in into the tank front face.

But yes, glow head is one, and the tank/case gasket is another. The third may be so "trivial" it is actually difficult to spot Smile
Where the REED ??
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Eric, the reed is the little shiney piece of mylar between the NV and piston, in the picture.

Ok, the other trivial missing piece has got to be the head gasket?. Huh...

Or possibly the throttle ring for the muffler, looks like a c clip with a hole for linkage.

Last edited by Marleysky on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 2nd guess)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Marley, you got it Thumbs Up

The missing parts are the tank/case gasket, the glowhead and the head shim.

The engine is a beauty, very different from other Cox products. And it is the only one that has any kind of run-in procedure in the instructions... Was it 4 or 6 tanks with two different propellers on the bench before installing on a plane. I wonder if it was on account of the cast crankcase or something else?

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next