Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Allergy to glow fuel Cox_ba12

Allergy to glow fuel Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:39 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Allergy to glow fuel Empty
Live on Patrol

Allergy to glow fuel

Go down

Thinking Allergy to glow fuel

Post  oldguy Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Hey guy's anyone here allergic to glow fuel after years of using it?The last couple of days I have come down with a rash on my wrists and arms.It's never bothered me before.I'm not sure it is the fuel yet but it's looking like it could be the problem.Has anyone had any issues with getting a rash from glow fuel?
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Allergy to glow fuel

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:54 pm

I have met a few that have experienced reactions as they grow older.

You may want to start wearing long sleeves and use gloves. The only other option is electric Shocked
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:09 pm

I would doubt that an "allergy" to the methanol or nitromethane would develop, although neither is good for you. now a general sensitivity might be a different matter.

The castor, and synthetic oils, dyes, and other additives however I would suspect a little more. Did you switch fuels recently?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:12 pm

Glow fuel exhaust will bother my sinuses if I spend a long day of flying .... never had a rash though.
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:21 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I have met a few that have experienced reactions as they grow older.

You may want to start wearing long sleeves and use gloves. The only other option is electric Shocked

NO NO.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:23 pm

pkrankow wrote:I would doubt that an "allergy" to the methanol or nitromethane would develop, although neither is good for you. now a general sensitivity might be a different matter.

The castor, and synthetic oils, dyes, and other additives however I would suspect a little more.  Did you switch fuels recently?

Phil

No it's the same sig fuel I have had for a while.I'm not sure it is the fuel yet, but it was somewhat better this morning, then I went out and did some testing and running some engines and a little while later the rash blew up again.Came in and washed real good and it has calmed down again.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:24 pm

larrys4227 wrote:Glow fuel exhaust will bother my sinuses if I spend a long day of flying .... never had a rash though.

Doesn't bother my sinuses at all.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:12 pm

Hi Jim, It's been a while.. I came upon this thread through an "allergy" search via CEF's internal search engine. I was in search of "CA" (super glue) allergies in particular.. but have you (or any other readers) had any further or noteable allergic reactions to any of the glow-fuel elements?

Hope all's well Jim,
Happy holidays
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:27 am

My only fuel allergy is my sorrow I feel after a few days of not smelling it and its exhaust fumes..
lol! RC Plane

Jokes aside, it is sad that many of those who posted in this and other threads have disappeared from CEF, I hope they are OK just maybe focus on other pleasures of life than playing with COX engines and planes etc..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:41 am

As we age, our skin tends to dry out, so it may absorb more of the fuel components into our skin. Also, our resilience changes, too.

I've noticed that auto mechanics use more of the thin nitril gloves in their work, to avoid absorbing auto oils and grease into their skin. It is thought that excessive repeated absorbsion into the skin is a contributing factor to various skin and other cancers.

For someone who has developed a sensitivity to glow fuel or a component thereof, can simply wear these thinner disposable gloves that are least in hindering hand movement. Thus help to avoid receiving the rash problem.

I have found over time in my older age, that I am intolerant of wheat. I am allergic to grass pollen, of which wheat is a grass. If I avoid wheat in my diet, then I am less irritable, Mad  fart less, Embarassed and my sinus headaches Sad go away, Smile even during my worst allergy time, which is winter (extremely allergic to pine pollen). If I must eat wheat, then no more than a day, no repeats. Else, my irritability and severe sinus headaches return especially during my worst pollen days.

Our tolerance to certain chemicals can change. I've just learned to deal with it and move on. Truth is truth.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:38 am

I always wear nitrile gloves when I mix fuel, run engines etc.

I also wear a heavy work glove when starting engines, flicking props. It is safer for the fingers.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:43 am

I bought a fingertip tester. Shows oxygen saturation in percent. Not related with glow fuel but it is useful to check regularly. It also shows pulse.

Allergy to glow fuel Img_2132
Allergy to glow fuel Blood-10
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking Carcinogens produced from burning organic substances.

Post  roddie Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:24 am

Many years ago I remember hearing reports that "burnt oil" produces carcinogens or PCB's. This was a particular concern for the "waste" motor-oil produced by IC engines.. and "end-of-life" oil-filled electrical power transformers.. but certainly not limited to those two producers. Apparently it's the "overheating" of these oils which changes their chemical composition enough to become hazardous.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:41 am

Levent Suberk wrote:I bought a fingertip tester. Shows oxygen saturation in percent. Not related with glow fuel but it is useful to check regularly. It also shows pulse.

Allergy to glow fuel Img_2132
Allergy to glow fuel Blood-10

Hi Levent, I recently wore a fingertip test device for a "home sleep study" to obtain data for treating my sleep apnea condition. In fact.. it's been almost exactly 10 years since my last sleep-study.. which I posted about HERE.

I'm trying to get help again.. because I just couldn't tolerate the CPAP/VPAP treatment attempts from 10 years ago. Left untreated; I've been at a higher risk for stroke, high blood-pressure.. and other health problems. There have been many advances made in the equipment for treating the condition over the last ten years.. so I'm hopeful.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:09 pm

I wish a speedy recovery to you. Yes, medical treatment advanced within time.

Last week in the morning suddenly I couldn't breathe easy and pulse was over 100. I went to hospital immediately. Electrocardiogram, respiration, bags full of liquids, checking oxygen saturation, x-ray etc. etc. in about two hours. Result is heart wall thickening -cardiomyopathy- and high blood pressure and three medicines need to be taken daily. I see that device -oximeter- in hospital and interested.

I also interested those vinyl tubings of serum bags and wanted to take them, however I couldn't said anything to nurses Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:06 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:

Last week in the morning suddenly I couldn't breathe easy and pulse was over 100. I went to hospital immediately. Electrocardiogram, respiration, bags full of liquids, checking oxygen saturation, x-ray etc. etc. in about two hours. Result is heart wall thickening -cardiomyopathy- and high blood pressure and three medicines need to be taken daily. I see that device -oximeter- in hospital and interested.

I also interested those vinyl tubings of serum bags and wanted to take them, however I couldn't said anything to nurses Very Happy

Levent.. Shocked That sounds like a very scary thing to have suddenly happen. Good that you were able to go immediately to the hospital. I've awoken a few times to a racing heart.. which I attribute to my sleep apnea.. but my body weight is the highest it's ever been @ 250+/- lbs. The weight-gain came-on with my quitting cigarettes six years ago. Now that I'm retired (since last February) I have more time take care of these increasing health issues... (where's the "sighs" emoticon?).

I'm scheduled for a "follow-up" with my general practitioner on Dec. 14th to review some recent labs done since being on a "Statin" (Atorvastatin 40mg actually) for the last 6 months which treats high cholesterol.

Have you seen the AFib commercial with Basketball legend Karrem Abdul-Jabbar? I plan to ask my doctor about testing for this.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down