Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

sleep - sleep study tonight Cox_ba12

sleep - sleep study tonight Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Today at 6:17 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

sleep - sleep study tonight Empty
Live on Patrol

sleep study tonight

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

sleep - sleep study tonight Empty sleep study tonight

Post  roddie Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:12 pm

I was diagnosed with complicated/severe "sleep apnea" about 18 months ago... as determined by a "sleep study" performed through my Physician/affiliates. I had gained a substantial amount of body-weight when I quit smoking cigarettes about 5 years ago. I "had" weighed a "stable" 165 lbs. for most of my adult life until then. I am just over 6 ft. tall... so I was always kinda' "slim"... Within 1 year of quitting smoking, my weight rose to 220 lbs... I've managed to lose 20 of that... but the onset of the weight-gain was when I started to have problems. This is a common cause of sleep apnea.

My particular condition causes me to "stop breathing" while I'm asleep. My wife noticed it first... I would gasp after long (30 seconds or more..) periods of not breathing... intermixed with snoring. She can't sleep with me when she has work the next morning. I often wake during the night to find my "pillow" soaked with sweat, and have to turn it over.

The first sleep-study revealed "my" particular condition, where "involuntary breathing" is interrupted, until the body goes into "fail-safe" and induces a "gasp" for needed oxygen. This is classified as "Severe/Complicated" sleep apnea... and determined my need for "V-Pap" therapy; an "at-home" device/machine that pumps "humidified" air into the patient via a hose and mask while sleeping.  At that time, my health insurance was sub-standard, and I couldn't afford the recommended V-Pap therapy machine ($3000.00) Instead I was provided a different machine that "might" help... It hasn't. I have had the service company check it's operation and pressure levels... but I haven't been able to make it through one "full" night using it.

I have much better health insurance now, and am having a re-test/re-evaluation done tonight. I'm trying to be optimistic. SYMPTOMS of un-controlled sleep apnea vary... but almost all levels of severity include; being tired upon waking. More severe symptoms include; lack of energy throughout the day, irritability, confusion, poor memory retention, trouble paying attention and depression.

Un-diagnosed sleep disorders can be very dangerous, with severe levels putting a subject at risk for stroke. People who live alone can be at a higher risk, because they may not know that they suffer from this... and figure that they are merely "stressed-out". If you suffer from any of these symptoms... talk to your Physician about it.

I have had trouble concentrating, and am not as high-functioning as I used to be, which is a direct cause of my sleep disorder. I am hoping to get some help this time around.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

sleep - sleep study tonight Empty Re: sleep study tonight

Post  Kim Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:58 pm

That sucks. I'm dancing around the same deal, and am gonna eventually have to address it.

Hope you get some good results.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:53 pm

"Your bed is ready, Mr. Vader"

My Dad uses a C-Pap, with added distilled water tray, and a full face mask. He tried the nose mask and it did not work, he also tried the "bite" mask that looks like a snorkel mouthpiece with similar poor results.

His mask covers his nose and mouth, has multiple straps to hold it in place, and actually works for him.

I personally know a number of people who use a C-pap at night. I don't think any of them use the same type of face mask apparatus. I do think they all have a humidifier tray in the machine for distilled water.

MAKE them have you try different apparatus until you find a working solution. Everybody I know dropped 20 to 50 lbs just from better sleep.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 pm

pkrankow wrote:"Your bed is ready, Mr. Vader"  

My Dad uses a C-Pap, with added distilled water tray, and a full face mask.  He tried the nose mask and it did not work, he also tried the "bite" mask that looks like a snorkel mouthpiece with similar poor results.  

His mask covers his nose and mouth, has multiple straps to hold it in place, and actually works for him.  

I personally know a number of people who use a C-pap at night.  I don't think any of them use the same type of face mask apparatus.  I do think they all have a humidifier tray in the machine for distilled water.

MAKE them have you try different apparatus until you find a working solution.  Everybody I know dropped 20 to 50 lbs just from better sleep.

Phil
Yea... I gotta' go buy some PJ's... and show-up at 8:00 tonight to get "plugged-in"Paranoid been through it before...

The machine I have is a "ResMed VPAP-III ST" with humidifier tank,feeding a full face-mask. Anything like your Dad's Phil? My mask is a "Res-Med Quattro FX". My Mom uses a machine CPAP that's totally different.

There's a chance that my diagnostic pressures were wrong the first time... but the machine's current flow doesn't allow me to breath naturally... which sucks.

Here's what I have:
sleep - sleep study tonight Dsc00710
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:17 pm

The mask looks pretty similar.

The machine my Dad has looks like a little black case.

Best of luck.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:18 pm

I am hoping that if I can keep my weight under control (no small struggle for me) I might dodge this particular bullet.  Time will tell I guess.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:29 pm

pkrankow wrote:I am hoping that if I can keep my weight under control (no small struggle for me)  I might dodge this particular bullet.  Time will tell I guess.
Phil
I started smoking again about 2-3 years ago... after quitting for 2 years... stupid No!  . That's why I dropped 20 of the 60 lbs. I gained when I quit 5 years ago. I will quit again... and need to change my lifestyle... or I won't live too much longer.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:39 pm

My wife's sleep apnea caused her to to sore horribly and caused sleep deprivation.  This eventfully caused her to fall asleep at the wheel whie driving.  She totaled our car and we both "ate" our airbags and suffered bruises for our SRS belts.  Affraid or WOW! 

She has been using C-PAP (Constant Pressure Air Passage) now for about ten years.  She sleeps MUCH better, has stopped snoring and arises refreshed in the morning.

We both have different natural sleep patterns: she's a "night owl" and I''m a "moring lark",

Everyone that I know who as been sleep tested has had a C-PAP recommended.  If you think you need a C-Pap you probably do so it's your call.  BTW, i feel MUCH safer when my wife is driving now.

SD

Last edited by SuperDave on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Sleep apnea is a common problem in the military. Not sure why, but a lot of my buddies have it.

Upon retirememt it gives some serious VA points. I sleep like a rock, glad too as I couldn't even fathom wearing a gas mask to bed.

Best of luck Roddie! I hope you get some relief.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:24 pm

I guess Roddie is all covered with a net of wires by now, or soon will be. When they did my sleep study back in the '90s, they let me choose my bed time within reason. I couldn't believe how many wires were connected to me. I hadn't really been able to sleep in months... not apnea, I'm skinny as a rail, so don't fit the usual pattern. I just had all sorts of other medical things going on, and couldn't lie still, like a human buzzer, leg kicks, etc. I thought I'd never sleep with all that hardware all over me, but oddly enough I slept better than I had in recent memory. They sent me home with a scrip for Klonopin, a benzodiazepene. It worked. I didn't need it for long after that. Catching up on the needed rest with the assistance of the Klonopin settled me down after a while and I was off of it.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 am

I had never heard of this affliction until recently and now I know quite a few people who have been diagnosed with the condition.

In order to function properly, most adults need seven to eight hours of sleep. Around 15-25% of that time should be spent in the deepest phase of sleep, known as slow wave sleep.

I know that often, with my work, I am disturbed at night. More often than not, it doesn't affect me but several interruptions (compounded sometimes by "jet lag") give me similar symptoms. A lack of energy, irritability, forgetfulness and difficulties concentrating.

I cannot imagine what it is like to face this day after day as opposed to the occasional episodes I have. Mine are self inflicted and I recover.

Roddie is to be admired for pointing out his condition. A few of us on this site are of an age where this condition could or will exist.

I pulled the following statistics.

OSA is a relatively common condition that affects more men than women. In the UK, it is estimated that around 4% of middle-aged men and 2% of middle-aged women have OSA.

The onset of OSA is most common in people aged 35 to 54 years old, although it can affect people of all ages, including children. The condition often goes undiagnosed. It is estimated that up to 5% of adults have undiagnosed OSA.

Studies have also shown that 60% of people over 65 years old have OSA.

Be warned!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:08 am

If it's any consolation I enjoy "the sleep of the innocent" now and always have." tongue 

BE WARNED YOU BAD BOYS! Affraid or WOW! 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16 am

ian1954 wrote:

Roddie is to be admired for pointing out his condition. A few of us on this site are of an age where this condition could or will exist.
True That !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:38 am

In addition, sleep apnea can actually cause fatal results not only car accidents but the death of the person who ceases to breath for any extended period of time.

This is entirely possible in individuals, often the aged, who suffer from other health complications as well. I'd err on the side of caution rather than denial.

(Our Medicare suppliment covered the cost of my wife's C-PAP)

Dave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:54 pm

RknRusty wrote:I guess Roddie is all covered with a net of wires by now, or soon will be. When they did my sleep study back in the '90s, they let me choose my bed time within reason. I couldn't believe how many wires were connected to me.
sleep - sleep study tonight Sleep_10

I had a miserable night... the staff was great, I was optimistic... but I only slept briefly. sleep (not) The room was a comfortable 58 deg. F... which blended nicely with the non-humidified cold-air-blast being pumped into my nose/mouth and over what's left of my very sensitive teeth... Crying or Very sad 

After what seemed like an eternity of this... I signaled for help, and after un-sticking my lips from my teeth, I asked; "Don't you supply humidified air"? Technician; "We don't have that here"... at which point I was offered a nose-only mask... AWESOME... until you dose-off and your mouth opens, causing your head to cave in. This was around 2:00 a.m... (signals for help again...) Technician: "Maybe a chin-strap would help"? Roddie: "ok... let's try it".. (after several minutes of looking, they couldn't find one)  I was a combination of irritated, exhausted, over-inflated and disappointed. I went back to the full-face mask and finished-off the minimum time that what was needed for the study.

I was released around 5:00 a.m. at which point I drove to the nearest coffee shop and got a "sm. black" to keep me awake driving, until I reached a diner near my house... where I "pigged" on a western omelet, hash-browns, toast and Italian sausage patties. Very Happy

Now I wait 3-4 weeks for the test results. I'm bewildered at best... If I'm in the percentile that can't tolerate the best therapy for my condition... (mine is "brain" related... as re-affirmed to me last night) then the only alternative is a new brain. tongue 

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Oh man, Roddie. I'm sorry you had to be subjected to that misery. Seems like they could get the results faster. Like, don't they have a damn doctor or what!?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:06 pm

RknRusty wrote:Oh man, Roddie. I'm sorry you had to be subjected to that misery. Seems like they could get the results faster. Like, don't they have a damn doctor or what!?
Thanks Crusty... I mean "Rusty" Laughing  I will probably get my results faster than that; having been a previous patient. If not... my wheel will squeak so much; that the axle breaks off!

Like "Super Dave" mentioned... stopping breathing for an extended period of time can be fatal. I don't just "snore"... I stop breathing. Left untreated; I am at risk for stroke as well.

Last night when I was admitted to the sleep center, the staff assured me that I was going to have a great night's sleep... and I would finally get the "Cadillac" therapy device for home; that people usually have to "jump through hoops" for, to get their health ins. to cover. If last night's therapy was any indication of what "that therapy" involves... I MUST force myself to get accustomed to wearing the full-mask; at the recommended pressures. I must admit; I haven't given it a "fair shot"... The machine I've had for the last 18 mos. isn't the "right one"... and I have less than 10 hours on it. Last night's therapy didn't feel much different than that though... which concerns me.

My particular conditions' pressures are really high... and unless the mask is "uncomfortably" tight... it doesn't seal. Facial hair interferes with the masks' sealing. (my face was clean-shaven for the study...) Like "Phil" recommended; I need to keep trying, until I get something comfortable enough to tolerate... whether it's a certain "mask"... "machine" or a combination of both... until I can sleep soundly all-night, "every night".

Regardless; I get the feeling of being "inflated"... while on the therapy. The therapy can and "usually does" involve a "ramp" pressure, that is LESS than the constant-pressure. The ramp is a gradual "timed" build-up to the constant-pressure, allowing you to fall asleep more naturally. I had my home machine set for a "max" 40 min. ramp-time... but I still experienced an "un-natural" breathing feeling that made it hard to fall asleep, unless I was exhausted. I wasn't particularly exhausted for last night's study... which didn't help matters.

Lastly... I toss and turn a lot while sleeping... and occasionally (not often) have "restless leg syndrome"... a condition that they ask you about on the pre-admittance questionnaire. Rusty, you probably experienced this before too... it's like the "Heeby-g-bees"... and wouldn't cha' know; I had a case during my study last night. It didn't last too long, but it was just "one more thing" preventing me from just chillin'-out.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:13 pm

roddie wrote:...Thanks Crusty... I mean "Rusty" Laughing....Regardless; I get the feeling of being "inflated"... while on the therapy. The therapy can and "usually does" involve a "ramp" pressure, that is LESS than the constant-pressure. The ramp is a gradual "timed" build-up to the constant-pressure, allowing you to fall asleep more naturally. I had my home machine set for a "max" 40 min. ramp-time... but I still experienced an "un-natural" breathing feeling that made it hard to fall asleep, unless I was exhausted. I wasn't particularly exhausted for last night's study... which didn't help matters.

Lastly... I toss and turn a lot while sleeping... and occasionally (not often) have "restless leg syndrome"... a condition that they ask you about on the pre-admittance questionnaire. Rusty, you probably experienced this before too... it's like the "Heeby-g-bees"... and wouldn't cha' know; I had a case during my study last night. It didn't last too long, but it was just "one more thing" preventing me from just chillin'-out.
I'd be willing to bet there is a period of adaptation that will lead to your settling down and sleeping better. It's a big change and you're acutely aware of every detail when you first start using the equipment. And yes, I was flailing and kicking, restless leg syndrome. Klonopin targets that much like an anti-seizure med.

And that's Crustoleum to you, son!lol!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 pm

[/quote]I'd be willing to bet there is a period of adaptation that will lead to your settling down and sleeping better. It's a big change and you're acutely aware of every detail when you first start using the equipment. And yes, I was flailing and kicking, restless leg syndrome. Klonopin targets that much like an anti-seizure med.

And that's Crustoleum to you, son!lol![/quote]

One thing is for sure Crusty... and that's the fact that a new "home-therapy" machine will have warm heated-humidification...  keeping my lips from getting.... crusty
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:33 pm

A nice shave at night saves having to shave in the morning!

Pop over to BadgerandBlade.com for some advice on that score.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:51 pm

pkrankow wrote:A nice shave at night saves having to shave in the morning!

Pop over to BadgerandBlade.com for some advice on that score.

Phil
I have a "German" razor... a Fokker... with 3 blades, and an interrupter-gear on the trimmer, that's sync'd  to your "blink"; so hairs won't go in your eye! A "must"... when flying... Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:55 pm

and don't discount that trusty #11 blade; freshly sharpened in your "Smiths" blade sharpener... for that finishing touch to nose/ear hair!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 am

Roddie:

Realize that C-PAP's need to be adjsted to your particular situation; they're NOT a "one adjstment works for all" proposition. Further the technology of C-PAP's has been VASTLY improved in recent years if not months. They're lighter, quieter and less-expensive than they were originally. The masks have been improved as well to be more comfortable.

It is NOT possible to borrow someone's C-PAP and expect it to perfom satisfactorilly for the reasons explained above. C-PAP's most assuredly require a period of time to become accustomed to them.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:05 pm

SuperDave wrote:Roddie:

Realize that C-PAP's need to be adjsted to your particular situation; they're NOT a "one adjstment works for all" proposition.  Further the technology of C-PAP's has been VASTLY improved in recent years if not months.  They're lighter, quieter and less-expensive than they were originally.  The masks have been improved as well to be more comfortable.

It is NOT possible to borrow someone's C-PAP and expect it to perfom satisfactorilly for the reasons explained above.  C-PAP's most assuredly require a period of time to become accustomed to them.

SD
Thanks SuperDave... I appreciate your interest... Very glad your Wife sleeps better now. I know that I "must" get used to the therapy... I have no choice. I have "Central Sleep Apnea"... a less common form, involving an interruption in brain signals to the body, while sleeping. My treatment requires VPAP or bi-level therapy. CPAP will not work for me; so I'm told by my Physician. (edit) I now need to bug my Doctor for the re-test results, get the "proper machine" calibrated with my pressures, find a mask system that I can tolerate... and give it a go... hopefully soon.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:53 am

Roddie:

Be VERY thankfull you're not of the "denial" mind set. Explore ALL opions open to you!

In a parallel situation at one time I was in "denial" that I needed hearing aids UNTILL I came to realize how much of life I was missing. I now have a good pair and don't give a damn who see them on my ears. Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next