Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


So, who's up for this bargain? Cox_ba12




So, who's up for this bargain? Pixel

Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Today at 8:30 pm

» Willy Nillie's Shoestring micro racer powered by COX TeeDee010
by balogh Today at 5:17 pm

» You know you’re in Branson, Missouri when
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:12 pm

» Fun Times Keeping Busy With Lead.....
by cstatman Today at 1:59 pm

» I need to go back to RC school..
by cstatman Today at 1:41 pm

» Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?
by Myk Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Scientific Gulfhawk
by roddie Yesterday at 8:59 pm

» Memorial Day 2024
by roddie Yesterday at 8:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:31 pm

» Does this book interest anyone?
by rdw777 Sun May 26, 2024 2:58 pm

» tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. (reset)
by batjac Sun May 26, 2024 9:57 am

» Sold out Cox .049 silencers for sale
by sosam117 Sun May 26, 2024 6:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery


So, who's up for this bargain? Empty
Live on Patrol


So, who's up for this bargain?

Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:58 pm

It never ceases to amaze me what some people believe these things are worth.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gilbert-Thunderhead-11-Gas-Engine-American-Flyer-Model-Airplane-Engine-/191805839002?
While I like the Gilberts, you gotta be kidding!! Affraid or WOW!

Already there are two issues with his listing.  It has one incorrect muffler, instantly effecting its collectibility.  He also excitedly states it has a pull starter (which it doesn't).  Couldn't help myself.  I had to tell him so.  Let's see how he reacts. Thumbs Down
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3978
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 61
Location : Drouin, Victoria

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Ken Cook Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:28 pm

The hobby shop that recently closed by me had them in barrels brand new for 3 dollars a piece. They couldn't give them away as there was hundreds of them. They bring this stuff to a local swap that I attend in March. I saw them once again last year. It appeared as the cranks were showing signs of surface rust. Same barrels and they were filled to the top.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 5495
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:It never ceases to amaze me what some people believe these things are worth.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gilbert-Thunderhead-11-Gas-Engine-American-Flyer-Model-Airplane-Engine-/191805839002?
While I like the Gilberts, you gotta be kidding!! Affraid or WOW!

Already there are two issues with his listing.  It has one incorrect muffler, instantly effecting its collectibility.  He also excitedly states it has a pull starter (which it doesn't).  Couldn't help myself.  I had to tell him so.  Let's see how he reacts. Thumbs Down

Remember this one Rod?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enya-09-engine-motor-airplane-plane-model-kit-9-rare-vintage-rc-radio-control-/222026233615?hash=item33b1cb770f:g:4c8AAOSwsLtVe0Lp

It's still there. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 10674
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : West Virginia

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Marleysky Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:55 pm

That's funny!!  has pull start string..... Sure wind 54ft of Dacron line around the prop shaft and pull like crazy??  Maybe he has a spring, wind back type starter?

What's wrong with the muffler? Looks OK to me, I ask unknowingly.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Posts : 3618
Join date : 2014-09-28
Age : 71
Location : Grand Rapids, MI

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Ken.  If the barrels of engines are there again this year, would you be interetsed in grabbing me a few?  Then I can employ this guy's marketing strategy and make enough to retire early. Laughing
Serious, I would get some at $3-$4 each.  Stick them in a padded envelope to keep shipping down & if one gets damaged on the way, too bad.
These sort of guys really seem to be convinced that they are onto something big.  As I said, I couldn't help myself.  I let him know my observations and he's since removed the reference to the pull starter.  Dacron line is not original anyway as the Gilbert stuff was red.

Rene, the mufflers were a common mod if the engine was used for FF or R/C.  For their original C/L they were offset because of the engine offsett they used in their RTFs.
So, who's up for this bargain? Gilber10
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3978
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 61
Location : Drouin, Victoria

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Ken Cook Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:16 am

Rod, if my work schedule doesn't conflict with the date I will try and do so. This is on a Saturday which typically equates to a work day for myself. I will let one of my fellow club members know and will see what we can do. This is next month and I hope they do make an appearance. The owner lost his wife the following year and he himself is almost wheelchair bound. He does have help with all this and seeing the original shop has been closed for nearly 2 years a few have been helping him liquidate. I will pass this info on to my fellow club members. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 5495
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:41 am

Well, as a post-script to this story, I just managed to score a new in pack Gilbert .07 for $12 US.  So, who's up for this bargain? Gilber11
The guy with the super-expensive .11 (see my original post) is still waiting for a buyer, as is the guy out here who's asking $120 AUD for a used .11 with two left hand mufflers.  He needs to get together with that other guy with two right hand mufflers and sort something out.  At least he's dropped from his original $150 asking price.

I don't have it yet so can't vouch for how good or original it is.  Supposed to be un-run, but doesn't have accessories apart from a wrench.
Seller said US shipping only, but when I asked he was more than happy to send it down under First Class.  Maybe not as cheap as the swap meet Gilberts Ken spoke of, but still a pretty good deal. Thumbs Up
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3978
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 61
Location : Drouin, Victoria

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:01 am

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3455
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 60
Location : Brad in Texas

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Ken Cook Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:20 am

I have a new .050 sitting here on the shelf collecting dust. It sounds like it needs to go with that kind of money. I took off the spinner and I can't locate it. Currently, I have 3 of these one is in use. I have the receipt somewhere for it and if memory serves me correctly, it was $200 in the 90's. Everything about the engine is special. Forget about parts such as pistons and liners not to mention the custom sized bearings which are unobtainable. Boca does make bearings that fit but not the ones that Fred used when he built the engine. It has some very high technology for a model airplane engine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 5495
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  cox24711 Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:30 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:It never ceases to amaze me what some people believe these things are worth.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gilbert-Thunderhead-11-Gas-Engine-American-Flyer-Model-Airplane-Engine-/191805839002?
While I like the Gilberts, you gotta be kidding!! Affraid or WOW!

Already there are two issues with his listing.  It has one incorrect muffler, instantly effecting its collectibility.  He also excitedly states it has a pull starter (which it doesn't).  Couldn't help myself.  I had to tell him so.  Let's see how he reacts. Thumbs Down

Remember this one Rod?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enya-09-engine-motor-airplane-plane-model-kit-9-rare-vintage-rc-radio-control-/222026233615?hash=item33b1cb770f:g:4c8AAOSwsLtVe0Lp

It's still there. Smile
I think they mean $19 lol! !!!!!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 722
Join date : 2014-01-18
Age : 21
Location : Noosa Queensland Australia

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:59 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Well, as a post-script to this story, I just managed to score a new in pack Gilbert .07 for $12 US.  So, who's up for this bargain? Gilber11
The guy with the super-expensive .11 (see my original post) is still waiting for a buyer, as is the guy out here who's asking $120 AUD for a used .11 with two left hand mufflers.  He needs to get together with that other guy with two right hand mufflers and sort something out.  At least he's dropped from his original $150 asking price.

I don't have it yet so can't vouch for how good or original it is.  Supposed to be un-run, but doesn't have accessories apart from a wrench.
Seller said US shipping only, but when I asked he was more than happy to send it down under First Class.  Maybe not as cheap as the swap meet Gilberts Ken spoke of, but still a pretty good deal. Thumbs Up

OK, a post-script to my post script.
The seller contacts me today asking for more money, even though he's already sent the engine.  Says the USPS website on his phone says $13.75 shipping which is what he quoted me.  Even though he showed the person at the post office what it said on his phone, they went & charged $22.75 First Class shipping.  Sent it anyway without asking.  
DAMMIT!
Fortunately he's agreed to meet half way, but I still think he needs to stick with his quote.  Ended up pushing the purchase up over my limit.  Well, at least I don't have to pay ebay fees on the extra money I need to send him.

lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3978
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 61
Location : Drouin, Victoria

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:14 am

Ok, so here's a post-script to my post script to my post script.

The Gilbert 7 arrived. New in Pack? Huh...
Item description states-
"Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item."
Where do I start? Head gasket shim is chewed up. Piston binds in the bore at the lower transfer ports- there is what looks like file marks in the lower part of the cylinder. Crankcase is cruddy, like it's been run & not cleaned. (It's been run). Wear marks on the back plate from the crank pin. (It's definitely been run). Starter housing shows significant wear and is missing the spring & pawl. It's no more than a prop driver.
You'd think I would have learned. Sad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3978
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 61
Location : Drouin, Victoria

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  fredvon4 Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:33 am

Yep that happens some on these long distant purchases ... I have been burned that way a few times fortunately on lower cost items so not worth my time to get the seller to make right

That said recently I won a advertised "used" Fox 35 for $25. The seller had 4 used Fox's listed and I bid on what looked like the better one.

When it arrived I opened up the package to find a brand new never run or mounted Fox 35 and a note from the guy saying he had shipped the item I won to the wrong guy and he hoped I would accept the NIB one with no cost increase
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Posts : 4002
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 68
Location : Lampasas Texas

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  getback Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:06 am

Sorry to hear that Rod people can be viscous sometime . Fred cool man what a bargain for NIB you got to love it !! getback Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Posts : 10178
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 66
Location : julian , NC

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  roddie Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:29 pm

Crap.. Rod. Well.. maybe you can clean-up the cylinder to see if it has any compression left? Huh... Hopefully the piston isn't scored. Will these Gilberts start easily without the aid of the spring?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 8360
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 64
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:04 pm

roddie wrote:Crap.. Rod. Well.. maybe you can clean-up the cylinder to see if it has any compression left? Huh... Hopefully the piston isn't scored. Will these Gilberts start easily without the aid of the spring?  
They're pretty easy starters with a flip but have the same backwards start issues as a Cox reedie. Actually the spring makes them pretty heavy. Not sure about the cylinder. I need to have a closer look today. My eyes aren't what they were, but it feels like a burr at the lower ports.

I'm hoping Ken can make up for it by following up the "barrels of Gilberts" guy who sells at swap meets. If not, no matter. I can never build enough planes to us up all my engines anyway. Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3978
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 61
Location : Drouin, Victoria

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty file a claim against the seller

Post  happydad Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Ok, so here's a post-script to my post script to my post script.

The Gilbert 7 arrived.  New in Pack?  Huh...
Item description states-
"Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item."
Where do I start?  Head gasket shim is chewed up.  Piston binds in the bore at the lower transfer ports- there is what looks like file marks in the lower part of the cylinder.  Crankcase is cruddy, like it's been run & not cleaned.  (It's been run). Wear marks on the back plate from the crank pin. (It's definitely been run).  Starter housing shows significant wear and is missing the spring & pawl.  It's no more than a prop driver.
You'd think I would have learned.  Sad

Rod: file a claim against the seller, they don't like bad publicity.

happydad RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 78
Location : Escondido, CA

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Contact the seller first, mention negative feedback if they don't make it right.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 10674
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : West Virginia

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty I agree

Post  happydad Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:26 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Contact the seller first, mention negative feedback if they don't make it right.

Bob

I agree 100%, be sure to mention you will contact ebay if seller doesn't make it right. I deal with these guys every day.

 +1 bob.

happydad RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 78
Location : Escondido, CA

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  crankbndr Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Heres my arithmetic tell me where I went wrong
seller collected 12$+13.75$ for listing, that means he got 25.75$, his fees are 3.35$
his shipping 22.75-4.50 you kicked back, he paid 18.25 shipping now he's got 7.50$ clear.
After 3.35 fees he has 4.15$ clear
UUuuuggggggg


NOT EVEN WORTH THE TRIP TO PO!!!!!!


Last edited by crankbndr on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3080
Join date : 2011-12-10
Location : Homestead FL

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty what's the point?

Post  happydad Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:44 pm

crankbndr wrote:Heres my arithmetic tell me where I went wrong
seller collected 12$+13.75$ for listing, that means he got 25.75$, his fees are 3.35$
his shipping 22.75-4.50 you kicked back, he paid 18.25 shipping now he's got 7.50$ clear.
After 3.35 fees he has 4.15$ clear
UUuuuggggggg


at least he got rid of a junk engine??  lol! lol! not everyone makes a big profit. I try to break even. Most of the time I do not.
   I don't do it for the money, mainly to get rid of old engines, but I do not sell any engines that do not run, unless they are sold as junk, parts.

happydad  RC Plane         Futaba Radio Jeep
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 78
Location : Escondido, CA

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:09 pm

crankbndr wrote:Heres my arithmetic tell me where I went wrong
seller collected 12$+13.75$ for listing, that means he got 25.75$, his fees are 3.35$
his shipping 22.75-4.50 you kicked back, he paid 18.25 shipping now he's got 7.50$ clear.
After 3.35 fees he has 4.15$ clear
UUuuuggggggg


NOT EVEN WORTH THE TRIP TO PO!!!!!!

I agree 100%, but the rub is that he misrepresented his product.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 10674
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : West Virginia

Back to top Go down

So, who's up for this bargain? Empty Re: So, who's up for this bargain?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum