Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Copeman tuned Oliver Tiger Mk III Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2019
Tee Bee's

"This RR1 was restored for all the right reasons"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2019
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Copeman tuned Oliver Tiger Mk III Empty
World of Aviation

Copeman tuned Oliver Tiger Mk III

Go down

Copeman tuned Oliver Tiger Mk III Empty Copeman tuned Oliver Tiger Mk III

Post  ian1954 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:18 pm

Copeman tuned Oliver Tiger Mk III Copema10

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Copeman tuned Oliver Tiger Mk III Empty Re: Copeman tuned Oliver Tiger Mk III

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:49 pm

That's a neat one Ian, I have not seen even one Oliver on this side of the pond.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:49 am

NICE !!! Ian you truly have some of the most interesting and intriguing engines I have seen , Thanks for sharing !! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:14 am

balogh
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Hey Ian
Who he heck is Coplman and what tuning did he do to the Oliver?

Still not a diesel guy, but a sponge for all model airplane engine info....being more into the small engines that propel our models and a past engine guru in some meager ways (motorcycles and cars in the 150cc to 8.6 liter range)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:48 am

fredvon4 wrote:Hey Ian
Who he heck is Coplman and what tuning did he do to the Oliver?

Still not a diesel guy, but a sponge for all model airplane engine info....being more into the small engines that propel our models and a past engine guru in some meager ways (motorcycles and cars in the 150cc to 8.6 liter range)

Oliver Tigers quickly gained a reputation for being long lived, robust and the most powerful diesel engines for their size. It was a cottage industry - believe the largest number of engines produced in one year was 500.

This combined with repairs kept John Oliver and son very busy. All engines were fundamentally hand made and hand finished. None left the factory (small workshop) without being tested. Engines lasted for years and were sent back to be rebored or new liner etc fitted. All work was priced and if you wanted a little extra the engine could be factory tuned.

However, they also made available instructions for doing this yourself for the princely sum of 6d (2.5p or 5 cents). The waiting list for engines could be anything up to a year and they were swamped with orders. These engines were not mass produced - this was British engineering!

I have seen some abortions of tuned Olivers where individuals have undertaken the work themselves or offered this as a "service".

The most successful was George Copeman - a hobbyist who I also believe worked in a Bank. However, he gained quite a reputation following competition successes with his engines. He followed the Oliver tuning instructions but then added what was and is today a controversial amendment.

It was often reported that Ollies improved with age. After three or four rebores, piston replacements etc..... performance improved. Maybe only slightly but enough to warrant investigation.

Contrary to the Oliver recommendations - the bearing fits in the crankcase were eked out to not be so tight as a factory model. This allowed the crankshaft to run perfectly central to the bearings and "self adjust" the line up.

Of course this gave and edge in combat but there is a down side. The engine with the not quite so press fit bearings may not be as robust and survive a clash. prang ............ The engine may end up not able to be repaired. This still causes controversy among Olly owners and users but I do know of many documented competitions where the winners were using George Copeman tuned engines.

He also made no secret of what he did and this was published in February 1968.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6udxwrma4gb2i7/aeromodeller_1968_02_tiger_tuning_707_128.pdf?dl=0

A Copeman tuned engine has the lightning flash etched into it and the date it was modded on the bottom. The one I have happens to have been done in February 1968.

I am not surprised there aren't many Ollies in the USA. As mentioned, they were not mass produced and built to order. They were built in the days when money transfer was not quite so easy and with a very long waiting list. To buy a new one - you would have to be very keen.

George (GCB) bought a MkIII in 1958 and had not quite so long a wait following a cancellation.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t9821-spot-the-real-oliver-tiger-quiz#124829

I only know of two others in the USA owning Ollies (and one them is a collector and has every version).
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:58 am

Thanks for the history lesson sir...sorry I misspelled Copeman's name in my question
fredvon4
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down